• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheSeks said:
I just hope there's visual indicators for some of us that can't hear, DICE. *cough cough*

/Return of BC1's "overheat" ammo gauge, PLZ.

Oh gosh.gif
PC BF2 has color blind mode, so if you talk to the Devs on Twitter, you can probably get them to implement visual queues to things that someone who is audio impaired might have issues with. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cuban Legend said:
PC BF2 has color blind mode, so if you talk to the Devs on Twitter, you can probably get them to implement visual queues to things that someone who is audio impaired might have issues with. :)

Well, on the plus side: They did have subtitles in Bad Company 2 when there wasn't any in Bad Company 1 (SMH), so that's progress.

I honestly just need text keyboard chat for squad chat functions in addition to spots and ammo/overheat. I don't need too many accommodations as PS3 GAF can tell you I do decent (not well, but decent) without too many things.

Edit: And Fersis is the GAF-DICE twitter person. Me trolling bitching at DICE probably won't make them give a damn just for one disabled person on a console. :/

Klocker

oh yea, they mention that whether or not to have spotting in normal mode is still on the table, as well as squad configurations but commander mode is probably done for.

Klocker

Mr Sandman said:
Not a gauge, but maybe the barrel can go increasingly red hot?

Far Cry 2 had white smoke, turning to black smoke then to flames when the 50 Cal overheated...looked awesome too :D

TheSeks

Klocker said:
oh yea, they mention that whether or not to have spotting in normal mode is on the table

Turning spotting off in Hardcore is understandable, given it was damn near useless in BC2's hardcore mode.

Really, if there is toggle/filter options for:

Hardcore damage rate
Minimal HUD (AKA: CoD "hardcore")
Killcam
Spotting on hit/select/totally off

I'll be a happy camper. I just want customization to my server finding on consoles. I know it probably won't happen but BC2's softcore with killcam and no ability to kill douches that were planting C4 to grief your team is goddamn stupid. :|

Not a gauge, but maybe the barrel can go increasingly red hot?

They did something similar in BC1, IIRC. BC2 has the smoke indicating overheat, but I never know when the thing is close to overheating, which is the issue I have. BC1's ammo/overheat (it worked for both) gauge was a good visual indicator of when the gun was gonna "click, click" for me.

TheSeks said:
Well, on the plus side: They did have subtitles in Bad Company 2 when there wasn't any in Bad Company 1 (SMH), so that's progress.
I honestly just need text keyboard chat for squad chat functions in addition to spots and ammo/overheat. :/

TheSeks said:
Turning spotting off in Hardcore is understandable, given it was damn near useless in BC2's hardcore mode.
Really, if there is toggle/filter options for:
Hardcore damage rate
Minimal HUD (AKA: CoD "hardcore")
Killcam
Spotting on hit/select/totally off
I'll be a happy camper. I just want customization to my server finding on consoles. I know it probably won't happen but BC2's softcore with killcam and no ability to kill douches that were planting C4 to grief your team is goddamn stupid. :|
-BC2 on PC carried over All/Team/Squad Text-Chat channel functions from past PC-Bf games.

-And BC2 on PC had the server browser option of allowing you to filter hardcore/non-hardcore servers.

-Also BC2 on PC would let you check to see what features a server had turned on/off once you found it on the server list by right clicking on it to check the server options. This showed things like, 3D Spotting, Crosshair, Hardcore Damage, Killcam, Vehicles (Infantry Only mode), etc.

More and more your starting to sound like the PC version of BC2 would have been a great thing for you bro. Hopefully you have a gaming rig by the time BF3 hits, and hopefully they implement gamepad support successfully. I'd welcome you to the PC-side with open arms bro. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks do you have a gaming capable PC ?
I think thats your best bet if you want text chat.

EDIT: Well i know its not the same but we can start using the PS3 text chat if you want to.

The Faceless Master said:
is it MW3 this year or the 3rd person game?

It's MW3. The third person action adventure CoD game from Sledgehammer is on ice, and Sledgehammer is helping IW getting MW3 ready for its deadline. Raven is also aiding in the creation of MW3.

Jtrizzy

Fersis said:
TheSeks do you have a gaming capable PC ?
I think thats your best bet if you want text chat.

EDIT: Well i know its not the same but we can start using the PS3 text chat if you want to.
Yeah, just open up a chat room Seks. Invite me whenever you play. I'm working on getting my last 3 or 4 insignias.

Still have to get the et tu brute trophy, as well as the 20 2.0 kills.

Menelaus

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Battlefield 3 Possibly Shown At EA NY Event Next Week

2bmCD.jpg
Well, they've been showing it off in-house this week, no great surprise.

Kibbles

Why the fuck am I even subscribed to GI. I still haven't got my issue and scans have been up since Monday. Sheesh. (I'm not a new subscriber either, I've been getting issues for months)

J-Rzez

Kibbles said:
Why the fuck am I even subscribed to GI. I still haven't got my issue and scans have been up since Monday. Sheesh. (I'm not a new subscriber either, I've been getting issues for months)

I've had this problem as well. They'll never-ever get my money again.

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:
-BC2 on PC carried over All/Team/Squad Text-Chat channel functions from past PC-Bf games.

-And BC2 on PC had the server browser option of allowing you to filter hardcore/non-hardcore servers.

-Also BC2 on PC would let you check to see what features a server had turned on/off once you found it on the server list by right clicking on it to check the server options. This showed things like, 3D Spotting, Crosshair, Hardcore Damage, Killcam, Vehicles (Infantry Only mode), etc.

More and more your starting to sound like the PC version of BC2 would have been a great thing for you bro. Hopefully you have a gaming rig by the time BF3 hits, and hopefully they implement gamepad support successfully. I'd welcome you to the PC-side with open arms bro. :)

If only someone would hire me. *siiigh*

But yeah, I know about the PC text-chat and all that, I have played on PC before. Just there isn't very much on PC that interests me to where dropping $500-1000 on a new rig isn't a good investment (IMO) for me.

And there is PS3/PS2 games that have done text chat before. MGO/Metal Gear Online being a notable one. So it's not like it's that far out of the way to implement. :/

As far as the server browser, yeah: I know that ain't happening. "DERP HERP CONSOLE GAMERS ARE STUPID AND CAN'T FILTER." :|

In any case, I get by fine in Softcore or "Hardcore"/no killcam modes in general in BC1/2. You can ask Faceless or PS3 GAF for vouching on that.

Edit: And it's not like I'm asking for something like "Close Caption"/wallhacks in Left 4 Dead/Source games. I just need a good visual indicator on stuff.

Jtrizzy said:
Yeah, just open up a chat room Seks.

PSN cross-game text chat lags in most any game I've attempted to use it in. It lags in SSF4, for instance. It's nice, but the lag is killer when you're in the middle of a game, you know?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
Two interviews with the general manager of DICE

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/11/dice-interview-building-battlefield-3.aspx

There really isn't much new in either interview, but he does mention that more teams at EA are going to start using the Frostbite engine.
purple cobra said:
Maybe Danger Close if they do a sequel to Medal of Honor? Having the single player use UE3 and multi use Frostbite was a little jarring.
EVIL said:
mirrors edge 2? one location looked very mirrors edge ish in the tech demo.
We know from job postings that the next Medal of Honor is using it for the multiplayer at least (which seems partially developed at Danger Close) and that Black Box seems to be using it for several games.

I'm not sure if anyone else is though.

Afrikan

wwm0nkey

So yeah chances of modifiers on BF3 are pretty much gone :D

from Demize99's twitter when asked about magnum ammo.
It won't be in BF3. I'm not happy with the way damage and health mods affected the game.

Oh also when asked to make Mirrors Edge 2 using Frostbite 2 L Twin said
I'll think about it! ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Afrikan said:
Madden NFL 2012?

I know I know, seems crazy...but I'm so desperate for a new Madden engine, I don't care if it some how uses Frostbite 2...lol.
The real time destruction capabilities wouldn't go to use though. They'd be better of remaking Mutant League Football.

FLEABttn

Banned
I actually find MoH's MP to be rather underrated. Which I assume comes from BFBC2 people hearing that the MP was made by Dice and thus expected it to play similar to that, and also from Black Ops people being told it was a game that was similar/better than Black Ops and expected it to play like Call of Duty.

I wouldn't mind Dice making the MP for the next MoH. But if DC can take what they did and expand on it, that works too.

FLEABttn

Banned
Mr Sandman said:
I like it too. I love the pace which is a lot more tactical(?) than CoD, which with lightweight is about 5X faster. It's just the maps are really forgettable, boring and unoriginal. More classes and weapons (variety) wouldn't hurt either.

I didn't mind the maps, there just weren't enough. 8, was it? Before DLC maps at least. Down to 5 for Team Assault and Sector Control? 3 for Combat Mission? Still not a fan of leveling up and score streaks but at least they weren't the bullshit ones in BO (fuck that RC car, who thought that was a good idea?)

I feel like EA didn't bother in trying to foster a community for the game, and with how small that community was, that paid DLC was pointless. You have no player base to sell it to. The few people who did buy it feel ripped off because there's literally nobody to play it with. They should have made it free and pushed out the balance patch quicker because people were sick and fucking tired of the sniper rifles and it bleed out parts of the community that would have wanted to stay otherwise.

Ah, I shouldn't deviate from my topic too much...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mr Sandman said:
I loved the use of UE3 in MoH. So much that I wish it was used for multiplayer. It was so smooth and gorgeous (PC). Hell I wish DC did the multiplayer. Just make it like a modern MoH:AA.

Aw. :( Well, hopefully you're right about DC's involvement for the mp.

Oh and no modifiers. Great. I just hope mag is applied to the weapons by default. Weapons like the M14 only shine with mag.
They're definitely involved in multiplayer.

EA Jobs Page said:
Multiplayer Designer, Danger Close Team

Danger Close needs fire support. Danger Close Games, an innovative new studio within Electronic Arts, has one goal: make the best shooters in the market. Having recently released the successful reboot of “Medal of Honor,” Danger Close Games is looking for exceptional individuals to fill out its team of world class designers, engineers and artists.

Do you want to be Danger Close?

Position Summary:
Danger Close is looking for an experienced Level Designer to work on an unannounced First Person Shooter game with strong multiplayer focus. Reporting to the Creative Director, the designer is responsible for construction of the multiplayer battlefields where online players meet to prove their strength. The designer we are looking for need sto be inventive and understand the design factors that contribute to an entertaining and absorbing gameplay experience. The Multiplayer Level Designer also works closely with the art department and the art director to design the level envrionment.

Responsibilities:
•Carry your multiplayer level concepts from the initial idea by pen-and-paper designs all the way to the final product.
•Work closely with artists to ensure the final product has an equal gameplay and visual qualities.
•Utilize cutting edge Frostbite 2 tool set and the collected knowledge of thousands of EA co-workers around the globe to deliver world class multiplayer levels.
•Clearly and intelligently communicate your design intent to all stakeholders--including peers, Creative Director and the art department.

The Ideal Candidate Has:
•A solid understanding of what makes good multiplayer gameplay. You get excited by discussions concerning chokepoints and you can talk for hours about verticality in map design.
•A strong knowledge of and experience with level editing software such as Hammer or Unreal Ed.
•Shipped one or more multiplayer first person shooter games in a Multiplayer Designer role.
•Experience using industry standard 3D modeling packages such as 3D Studio Max or Maya.
•Managed a smaller group of designers in a previous game project.
•A burning, long-time passion for multiplayer games and game design.
•A portfolio containing video and images of finished multiplayer levels, from commercial titles as well as mod projects. This is strongly encouraged and really helps us getting a picture of who you are and what you do.
Source: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000nSo0AAE

So where did they confirm that the Tracer Dart gun was getting cut? Wasn't that on twitter? I hope they choose to keep it/have something similar. I just got done playing some BFBC2 and I don't want to imagine a world without the Tracer Dart. :-(

Funny, all the MOH MP talk...been playing it a bit more lately. I've always thought it was underrated, or at least the mechanics were. Shooting feels great, weapons feel lethal. The maps are a bit boring, unfortunately--borderline set pieces.

I wouldn't mind BF3's MP being influenced by MOH's in some ways.

Arnie

I hope so, although I suspect we won't get to see any other visual media surrounding the game until the reveal on March 1st. Considering how tightly wrapped up they kept Bad Company 2 gameplay, I don't expect proper Battlefield 3 gameplay until E3 at the earliest.

Nizz

Mr. Snrub said:
Funny, all the MOH MP talk...been playing it a bit more lately. I've always thought it was underrated, or at least the mechanics were. Shooting feels great, weapons feel lethal. The maps are a bit boring, unfortunately--borderline set pieces.

I wouldn't mind BF3's MP being influenced by MOH's in some ways.
I wouldn't mind if DICE brought the feel of MoH's multi to BF3 as far as character movement. MoH's movement felt similar to BC2 but just a bit lighter. BC2 controls are really good. But if BF3's controls felt a little closer to MoH in the lighter feel, but keep the low aim assist and recoil of BC2 I wouldn't fight it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Stallion Free said:
If it isn't Dice will forced to work on Medal of Honor multiplayer + work on any other EA project that EA needs help on.

Oh wait.
DICE is like EA's work horse... huge weight on their shoulders. Good luck sweden folks.

Probably the biggest EA studio isnt?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I <3 Memes said:
Not without commander mode it wont.

yes, because talking to investors JC clearly meant the hardcore PC userbase.

Fersis said:
DICE is like EA's work horse... huge weight on their shoulders. Good luck sweden folks.

Probably the biggest EA studio isnt?

Quite a happy horse judging from their twitters.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
StuBurns said:
Best product and game of the year aren't exactly the same to me.

He clearly meant it as a product - critic's recognition, sales, quality, all that stuff.

Fersis

subversus said:
yes, because talking to investors JC clearly meant the hardcore PC userbase.

Quite a happy horse judging from their twitters.
Maybe they eat a lot of good carrots.

Fersis

Stallion Free said:
More like EA's bitch.
DICE: Hey EA look my innovative design for Mirrors Edge 2 ! :3
EA: SHUT UP BIATCH! Go and make me some MOH,NFS and Battlefields!
DICE: ;__;

markao

wwm0nkey said:
So does anyone know if that NY event is today or not?
All I can help you with is, that there is an EA NFS Shift 2 event today (or tomorrow) in NY and Friday in DC and most of the times at these EA events they show the entire upcoming EA portfolio. But there should be (press) people on this forum that could give you a more definitive answer ;)

markao said:
All I can help you with is, that there is an EA NFS Shift 2 event today (or tomorrow) in NY and Friday in DC and most of the times at these EA events they show the entire upcoming EA portfolio. But there should be (press) people on this forum that could give you a more definitive answer ;)

Isn't EA having their showcase event on March 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom