• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
godhandiscen said:
Crushed, give it up. you'll play Banjo, he won't, or he'll hate himself when he comes to accept he likes it.

I doubt this. I also agree with his sentiments, since the collecting seems overkill

squicken

arhra said:
The bolded is precisely why they've taken the combat in a different direction to the SoT games - direct quote from the developers (from the EDGE preview in the latest issue:

Hey I'm staying optimistic as best I can. It's just that going 1 v 1 implies some sort of fighting game type mechanic. Unless it's a Shadow of the Colossus type thing.

Amirox has a pretty strong opinion of it and he's entitled to his opinion, but I personally enjoy all the things that I get to do in between the collecting in Banjo games which is why I don't mind so much.

The vehicle customization mechanic I think once we see it in action and how neat it all looks there might be a strong possibility that people are a lot more accepting of what Banjo is doing, but I know for a fact I'm going to be in love with the game.

Amir0x said:
haha it's like they realized how awful Banjo was and made the concept as a big joke on all actual Banjo fans

"hey, you know what sucked about those games? Collecting. Let's make a bazillion new things to collect and you can make vehicles with them!" :lol

You know, it is completely okay for Amir0x to think that way about Banjo.

Amir0x said:
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome

But repeating pretty much the same thing after 15 posts just screams "I WANT ATTENTION FROM MY OUTRAGEOUSLY CONTROVERSIAL VIEWS. PLEASE, FEED ME!"

Ugh.

Rock Band Hero and GTA: Banjo. Yeesh.

At least I may be able to force some enjoyment out of Guitar Hero 4 as long as all the songs aren't a bunch of Guitar borefests.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amir0x is entitled to his opinion.

But he goes about it like a troll that would otherwise be banned would. It's very non-mod like and kind of immature.

But anyway, pissed off about GH4.

It's GUITAR Hero. Leave the band stuff to Rock Band.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm not sold on this new vehicular Banjo yet. But I will admit the whole mix and match construction concept is intriguing.

Wouldn't have been unhappy if it was a straight platformer. Admire Rare's gumption in mixing it up a bit though.

omg rite said:
Amir0x is entitled to his opinion.

But he goes about it like a troll that would otherwise be banned would. It's very non-mod like and kind of immature.

But anyway, pissed off about GH4.

It's GUITAR Hero. Leave the band stuff to Rock Band.

The focus is still going to be on guitar, I'd think. You know...hence the name.

If they stick to picking the songs for their guitar-ness first and foremost, everybody wins.

Pachael

There's only so many ways to package a 'band experience' with drums, guitars and microphone singing. Konami had everything but vocals in Guitar Freaks and Drummania (and Keyboard Mania for good measure) - so you got that 'band experience' in the arcades and to a lesser extent the PS2.

Of course Konami haven't quite got the Western publication of the series right sadly ;p

I do wish Guitar Hero would support a keyboard. If they sell it as a guitar focused game they could add keyboard support without it having to dominate the tracklist.

Gigglepoo

I don't understand arguing with people who are against the changes made in Banjo. If people don't like innovation, just leave them to their 2600s and walk away.

Ten-Song

One thing I wonder now that Guitar Hero IV has vocals, is if that means instrumental tracks are now a no-no... that was one of the key things it could have that Rock Band couldn't, and it'd kind of suck if they went away.

Ten-Song said:
One thing I wonder now that Guitar Hero IV has vocals, is if that means instrumental tracks are now a no-no... that was one of the key things it could have that Rock Band couldn't, and it'd kind of suck if they went away.

The fact it's still called "Guitar Hero" gives me hope.

Ten-Song

TheGreatDave said:
Looking at the cover of the magazine...the art is still horrible in GH :lol

Ugh... I'd have hoped they'd just tone it down a little... oh well, if you can make your own character now though, at least that means I don't have to look at any of the freaks that populate the current game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I HATE this vehicle-thing. I wanna a platformer. Not a shooter-racer-hybrid. Why Rare? WHY?

This was my shining hope for Rare to come back to platforming greatness.

Woe is me :(

So after years of waiting for the next BK game and imagining the possibilities after SMG, we're excited and satisfied over a heavy multiplayer-component which is oriented around the inclusion of vehicles and less platforming? Well, I'll wait for more substantial information before making a judgement, but I'm less optimistic than I was several days ago.

Ten-Song said:
Ugh... I'd have hoped they'd just tone it down a little... oh well, if you can make your own character now though, at least that means I don't have to look at any of the freaks that populate the current game.

The actual screenshots look fairly decent. The lighting (which was so good in Rock Band) seems to have been improved. Things look like they're actually taking place in an arena of sorts now.

I cannot believe this generation is half over...this is insane.

Then again, I don't see why Nintendo is already planning a Wii successor. It's printing money as it is, and I doubt things will change if the console is two gens behind rather than just one.

Ten-Song said:
I'm fine with vocals so long as they copy Harmonix and NOT SingStar.

Patents probably require they copy neither.

Quite frankly, I find it impossible to sing well in Singstar. Harmonix's system is so perfect, I doubt Neversoft can come close without infringing on patent tomfoolery.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleh, GHIII is good to me, leave rock band with the instruments and GH for just guitar.

Creating songs should be interesting.

I know I'm late to this thread, but holy shit Guitar Hero did what it needed to become relvant again, and no I'm not talking about the band thing, which will almost assuredly be inferior to Rock Band forever and ever. I'm talking about CREATE A GODDAMN SONG. FINALLY. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Also, hype way down on Banjo 3, for now. All I wanted was a pure platformer, this vehicle stuff is, ugh.

About the comparisons between WiiWare and XBL/PSN. Is there anything on either of those services compared to Lost Winds; as in, are there or will there be adventure games? I was under the impression that the bulk of their libraries consisted of arcade-type games.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Seeing the GH4 screens leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They are trying to emulate Rock Band way too much.

ZeoVGM

Banned
duderon said:
Seeing the GH4 screens leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They are trying to emulate Rock Band way too much.

Are scans up anywhere? Not asking you to post them or PM them, but are the available on the net?

Just saw the GH4 pics.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shameless.

omg rite said:
Are scans up anywhere? Not asking you to post them or PM them, but are the available on the net?

Yes.

Any good Guitar Hero site with some fame would probably have them in an area where users can gather in a digital place.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gigglepoo said:
I don't understand arguing with people who are against the changes made in Banjo. If people don't like innovation, just leave them to their 2600s and walk away.

Maybe people dont want vehicles as the innovation...or is this hard to understand. Just cause its different doesnt mean its better

Salazar

The fuss about the vehicles in Banjo links up for me with my apprehension about some of the Tomb Raider: Underworld dev/designer comments - the stuff about how large a role the motorbike is going to play, and how it will figure in puzzles and the like.

Worrying stuff.

duderon said:

Yeah. They should have just made a next-gen Guitar Hero. That wouldn't look like Rock Band at all.

Johnas

That time frame for the next round of consoles sounds reasonable enough to me, but it's weird seeing it talked about already.

Sharp

Wow, just read the article. Create-a-song sounds awesome, especially with the studio jam aspect (soloing using predefined scales over chords = incredibly fun for those who don't have a real guitar, though obviously I prefer the real thing). Definitely getting this unless it turns out to be too good to be true, as it always does. Congratulations, Neversoft, you seem to really know what you're doing this time around. Yeah, it's a Rock Band ripoff, but once you ignore that you cynics should see that there are actually some really cool features this time around. I'm sure none of you would mind if Harmonix took them, because they sound fantastic.

Apparently in the magazine a developer mentions Dream Theater as a band they want. I haven't seen it though...

Also, band leader can freely switch through instruments, on or offline. And Battle mode is going to have "less emphasis on attack",

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
HK-47 said:
Maybe people dont want vehicles as the innovation...or is this hard to understand. Just cause its different doesnt mean its better

All indications is that it is though. It's people that want Banjo 1 in HD that is doing all the fighting it seems.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The GH4 HUD is basically the same as Rock Band and they've swapped out linear song progression for what is basically Band World Tour. Come on Neversoft.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
Apparently in the magazine a developer mentions Dream Theater as a band they want. I haven't seen it though...

Also, band leader can freely switch through instruments, on or offline. And Battle mode is going to have "less emphasis on attack",
Sounds good to me! And seriously guys, give the copycat thing a rest. I know how I'll be dealing with the most blatant of the Rock Band ripoff aspects: by completely ignoring them.

Ten-Song

duderon said:
The GH4 HUD is basically the same as Rock Band and they've swapped out linear song progression for what is basically Band World Tour. Come on Neversoft.

If I can do that kind of a career mode by myself and have DLC brought into it though, I'm fine with that. I don't know anyone to play Rock Band with much, which basically means half the game has always been locked away from me.

Top Bottom