• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game music incorporating its own sound effects?

Can anyone recall games that incorporated sound effects or other sound elements from itself into a musical track? I'm trying to think of one that I believe I played at some point last year but can't remember any details of beyond that specific point.

The two main touchstones that I can think of are Pokemon Black/White's Low HP Battle Music and
"This cannot continue"
from Nier: Automata.

Does anyone else have examples of this? Maybe one of your examples is my faint memory.

lazygecko

It was very common on systems that were early adopters of sampling like Amiga and SNES, since the method was an effective way of saving memory. Either using sound effects musically, or repurposing the music instruments as sound effects.

Seiken Densetsu 3 uses that old stock kung fu sample as a snare drum, which is pretty funny when you think about it.

Modoru

Some Rayman stages in origins/legends react to your movement.
At the least, the music levels force you to go at a certain pace to go with the music, and all the things that happen on the screen follow the beat.

Baleoce

Links awakening: when you pick up your sword at the beach at the beginning of the game you get a special little intro to the overworld theme, and at the climax of the intro the sound effect of the charged sword attack is used to transition into the actual overworld theme. Also if you're close enough to the enemy when you pick the sword up, you kill it with the attack.

Always thought that was a neat little touch.

God I LOVED the low HP music in Pokémon Black and White. It was such a cool idea to turn that annoying sound into an amazing remix. Only problem was I didn't want to heal or swap out my Pokémon because I enjoyed it too much haha.

turnbuckle

Kind of the reverse, but Lumines was great with incorporating the music into the sound effects. Listening to the soundtrack without the sound effects is nice, but just not the same. Heavenly Star is a joy to play because of it.

bobawesome

The rendition of Fishy Aroma that plays at the end of Episode 6 of Umineko uses the laughter, creaking, and red truth sound effects.

Shifty

In Mega Man Unlimited, in quite possibly the single most evil example ever, Yoku Man's stage incorporates the disappearing block sound effect in the music just to throw off your jump timing.

Almost a year later and this is still the most evil shit ever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know if this counts but In Drakengard 3 when activate Zero's Intoner power it will add vocals in games soundtrack. This because its known Intoner use power songs.

Also when Five sing to summon the boss song transitions to the boss music.

skip in to 1:45

Last edited:

royox

Mass Effect 3 Leaving Earth has freaking Reaper Horns included.

That sound still gives me chills and a sense of pure videogamey-fear.

Top Bottom