• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This part of the show really bothered me...Still not sure why Edmure cared more about a wife he didn't to marry and a child he's never met.

But that video posted is pretty good.
He stopped not wanting to marry her the moment that veil got lifted lol. Dude was happy as can be when he realised that Walder Frey is the biggest troll ever.

What are the chances of the scorpion bolt to be dipped in poison? I mean they should had thought that right?

Yes because Qyburn somehow found the great book on Dragon physiology and the accompanying book on poisons that harm them lol. Qyburn is a clutch player on team Cersei, but he ain't Jesus.

Jaime/Bronn better not sneak away from the jump in the wahter.

I hope we do have a Dani / Jaime seen where they go over the Kingslayer part. Dani knows her dad was insane, but Jaime's the one who stabbed him in the back, which really puts him in a horribly bad position that Tyrion will have one hell of a time trying to talk her out of vengeance.

My guess is that it'll have something to do with dragons. He'll survive their fire or something like that.
Didn't we see Jon getting bunrt by fire in one of the early seasons? When the Night's Watch take those dead bodies and they try to kill the Commander (?). I though Jon burnt his hand on the torches he was setting the wight on fire?

Someone please remind me!

What I want to know is if Tyrion saw them go in to the water, or if he believes Jaime is dead. If they assume Jaime is dead, that would mean Cersei could marry Euron and continue her reign of terror.

Nere

Yes because Qyburn somehow found the great book on Dragon physiology and the accompanying book on poisons that harm them lol. Qyburn is a clutch player on team Cersei, but he ain't Jesus.

Did you read that book? Because otherwise how do you know if poison harms them or not?

Hyun Sai

I hope we do have a Dani / Jaime seen where they go over the Kingslayer part. Dani knows her dad was insane, but Jaime's the one who stabbed him in the back, which really puts him in a horribly bad position that Tyrion will have one hell of a time trying to talk her out of vengeance.

If they make Dany want revenge for what Jaime did to the Mad King, Dany will be for sure the dumbest character ever, on par with Zack of The Strain.

I can't imagine anything other than Jaime and Bronn getting captured. It seems like the most logical way for the story to go. You can then deal with Dany vs Jaime killing her father and being a King's Landing bargaining chip, Dany vs Bronn on harming her dragon, and Dany vs Tyrion on how to handle their prisoners/him trying to protect these people he cares about (and trying to swing Bronn to their side)

What are the chances of the scorpion bolt to be dipped in poison? I mean they should had thought that right?

If the Dornish bad P*ssy didnt have their blades dipped with poison when fighting Euron, then i do not expect these bolts/arrows to have them either. big ol bolts just sitting there with poisonous oils at the tips.

But this is GoT, anything can happen.

Hyun Sai

If the Dornish bad P*ssy didnt have their blades dipped with poison when fighting Euron, then i do not expect these bolts/arrows to have them either. big ol bolts just sitting there with poisonous oils at the tips.

But this is GoT, anything can happen.

Perhaps the blades were dipped with poison, and Euron being Euron, it does nothing to him !

He stopped not wanting to marry her the moment that veil got lifted lol. Dude was happy as can be when he realised that Walder Frey is the biggest troll ever.

That girl was beautiful. Edemure's eyes when he sees her and is completely shocked. lol

I totally buy it that he fathered a kid that very night.

All the more tragic when you know that Robb essentially lost his life because he didn't want to marry someone ugly.

The blades arent constantly covered in poison. They only do it pre fight. At Tyrions trial by combat you see them coating the spears with poison.

True, but the sand snakes didn't know Jamie and Bronn were coming to Dorne, and Bronn was poisoned.

It's just very inconsistent.

Something to keep in mind is, if the scorpion was poisoned, it's been weeks since the army left kings landing. How effective is poison really when out in the open for weeks?

True, but the sand snakes didn't know Jamie and Bronn were coming to Dorne, and Bronn was poisoned.

Something to keep in mind is, if the scorpion was poisoned, it's been weeks since the army left kings landing. How effective is poison really when out in the open for weeks?
Not that I know a ton about poisons, but on weapons it was generally put on and left to dry, where it stays inert until activated by something wet, like someone's blood.

But I agree, the snakes seem like the kind of people to always have their blades poisoned and ready to go. But as I have said before, poison is so damn lame and boring in fiction. I will be happy if we never see it again.

Meifu

So many people getting Jamie wrong.

He's not a villian

He's also not a hero (at least in the traditional sense)

He is however, probably the most complex and interesting character. He has an actual arc and development. People enjoy his arc so much because it feels real, like something that is plausible, makes sense and has depth and complexity centered around a human character.

Sure the show has kind of fucked up his arc a bit by sending him to dorne, but still he's one of the more enthralling characters bc he is being pulled at from two ends.

1. His desire to be there for house Lannister, his sister and to live up to his father's proud name.

2. His desire to be a true knight, he's already fucked this up in some ways, but in many ways has shown he has the guts to do whats good for the sake of the realm (killing the mad king). Brienne is the truest a knight can be (shes not even technically a knight) and Jamie's time with her re instills these values within him, so instead of being a prick like he was in S1E1, he's seen some major development, but like a real human being is still torn between two worlds.

So stop calling him a hero, stop calling him a villian, he's really just a well written character.

IMO

Not that I know a ton about poisons, but on weapons it was generally put on and left to dry, where it stays inert until activated by something wet, like someone's blood.

But I agree, the snakes seem like the kind of people to always have their blades poisoned and ready to go. But as I have said before, poison is so damn lame and boring in fiction. I will be happy if we never see it again.

Yea, I don't know anything about poisons, but being activated makes sense.

HvySky

He's not a villian

He is however, probably the most complex and interesting character. He has an actual arc and development. People enjoy his arc so much because it feels real, like something that is plausible, makes sense and has depth and complexity centered around a human character.

Sure the show has kind of fucked up his arc a bit by sending him to dorne, but still he's one of the more enthralling characters bc he is being pulled at from two ends.

1. His desire to be there for house Lannister, his sister and to live up to his father's proud name.

2. His desire to be a true knight, he's already fucked this up in some ways, but in many ways has shown he has the guts to do whats good for the sake of the realm (killing the mad king). Brienne is the truest a knight can be (shes not even technically a knight) and Jamie's time with her re instills these values within him, so instead of being a prick like he was in S1E1, he's seen some major development, but like a real human being is still torn between two worlds.

So stop calling him a hero, stop calling him a villian, he's really just a well written character.

IMO

I'm with you up until Cersei blew up the Sept. She literally did the thing Jaime killed the Mad King for wanting to do. And he's still by her side because... she gives good head? I like Jaime, but he's stagnated for a while now and essentially being Cersei's stooge is not interesting to watch.

He's not a villian

IMO

To me,
He's a hero who's trying to redeem himself but knows it will never happen. There's plenty of evidence to show that when Jamie is given a choice to do something bad, he does the good knowing it puts him in harm's way.

It began with him saving Brienne from rape and continues still with him not wanting to flog stragglers.

I love how Nicolaj plays him in that he's very consistently true to himself. His motivations are always clear and he spells it out.

Meifu

I'm with you up until Cersei blew up the Sept. She literally did the thing Jaime killed the Mad King for wanting to do. And he's still by her side because... she gives good head? I like Jaime, but he's stagnated for a while now and essentially being Cersei's stooge is not interesting to watch.

Agreed. That part still bothers me to no end.

I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt til the end of the season. Him and Cercei havent even spoken about it which makes me think theres some bullshit reason, sucha s Jamie believes it was actually an accident, or she told him that and he's buying the lie for now.

Edit: I also think Jamie is a little scared of her. She even asked him as much.

Still ridiculous.

Jamie is indeed great. I think he is one of the only characters on the show who recognizes he is doing bad things when he does them. He is very self-aware, and doesn't take pleasure in his deeds. Hell...he doesn't even seem to take pleasure in the good things he does.

For me, the biggest misstep is how nonchalant he is about pushing Bran out a window in episode 1. It is a rare time he does something that is pretty dark and bad, but doesn't seem to let any of that weigh on him. We could say he has grown since, but from the story we hear about killing the mad king he seems like a man who has always been conflicted and complicated, and we as an audience needed time to have that revealed. That tower scene with Bran was a little too carefree.

Still love him.

Agreed. That part still bothers me to no end.

I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt til the end of the season. Him and Cercei havent even spoken about it which makes me think theres some bullshit reason, sucha s Jamie believes it was actually an accident, or she told him that and he's buying the lie for now.

Edit: I also think Jamie is a little scared of her. She even asked him as much.

Still ridiculous.
We never got a confrontation between Jamie and Cersei when he came back, did we? Or was it bad and I just don't remember it?

Jamie is indeed great. I think he is one of the only characters on the show who recognizes he is doing bad things when he does them. He is very self-aware, and doesn't take pleasure in his deeds. Hell...he doesn't even seem to take pleasure in the good things he does.

For me, the biggest misstep is how nonchalant he is about pushing Bran out a window in episode 1. It is a rare time he does something that is pretty dark and bad, but doesn't seem to let any of that weigh on him. We could say he has grown since, but from the story we hear about killing the mad king he seems like a man who has always been conflicted and complicated, and we as an audience needed time to have that revealed. That tower scene with Bran was a little too carefree.

Still love him.
Would be very interesting if he goes on a Lysa Arryn rant to Littlefinger but to Cersei to calm her from burning the entire KL. Going through all the bad things he's done for their toxic love.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration

Still love him.
Yea , looking back I really don't mind that he pushed bran but he shouldn't have been so nonchalant about

HvySky

We never got a confrontation between Jamie and Cersei when he came back, did we? Or was it bad and I just don't remember it?

Fairly certain it was never brought up between the two, and we're just supposed to assume that Jaime was cool with it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Meifu

Still love him.

S7 E1 , Basically jamie walks into the tower of the hand and this happens.

J: Whats this, were fucked you know? Some map on the ground wont help us.

C: Are you scared of me?

J: Should I be? You know our son went bungie jumping and forgot the bungie corde.

C: Its K, i cut it, he betrayed us.

J: Thats kinda fucked u-

C: shhh, mor wine, you and me do sex now and rule the world together.

J:I seriously dont think you realize how fucked we are, someone just had dinner with the freys, and they did NOT pay the check. They also murdered all of them.

C: The freys are worthless.

J:Well at least they supported us.

C:its K, i have Jack sparrow who can teleport

Metal B

Jaime is at the point, where he is broken and just goes with the flow. Like you said, Cersei did, what the Mad King wanted to do, and his last child committed suicide because of her actions. He does, what anybody would do at this point, suppressing his feelings and clutch at the last thing of worth in his life (which happens to also be reason for his pain). Similar how he swallow down the insults of people calling him a backstabber (even so he saved many innocent people this way). At one point in the future his true feelings about Cersei will break through (like his sword in her back).

S7 E1 , Basically jamie walks into the tower of the hand and this happens.

J: Whats this, were fucked you know? Some map on the ground wont help us.

C: Are you scared of me?

J: Should I be? You know our son went bungie jumping and forgot the bungie corde.

C: Its K, i cut it, he betrayed us.

J: Thats kinda fucked u-

C: shhh, mor wine, you and me do sex now and rule the world together.

J:I seriously dont think you realize how fucked we are, someone just had dinner with the freys, and they did NOT pay the check. They also murdered all of them.

C: The freys are worthless.

J:Well at least they supported us.

C:its K, i have Jack sparrow who can teleport
lmao. It took me way too many lines through this to realize this wasn't real.

Heshinsi

Did you read that book? Because otherwise how do you know if poison harms them or not?
Because it's common sense. Why would you assume poison for humans would also affect a dragon? We have the same thing in the real world.

HvySky

Jaime is at the point, where he is broken and just goes with the flow. Like you said, Cersei did, what the Mad King wanted to do, and his last child committed suicide because of her actions. He does, what anybody would do at this point, suppressing his feelings and clutch at the last thing of worth in his life (which happens to also be reason for his pain). Similar how he swallow down the insults of people calling him a backstabber (even so he saved many innocent people this way). At one point in the future his true feelings about Cersei will break through (like his sword in her back).

Citation needed.

I can't roll with that, really. His true feelings about Cersei should have broken through a hell of a long time ago after everything that's happened to develop him as a character and give us insight into his motivations. The last couple of seasons have been a brick wall that he's unable to climb over and right now it feels like he's just spinning his wheels. Cersei treats him like shit and the only explanation we seem to be given as to why he stands by her side is that she occasionally goes down and that's enough for him. They say it's love but it's just not convincing if that's the angle they're going for.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei writes him off after the loot train attack and that's the point he realizes he's on the wrong side. But I think that's coming way too late in the game and they've wasted so much potential in his character by having him just run around as Cersei's errand boy.

Heshinsi

Still love him.

Are you sure that's his biggest misstep? I recall him also bashing in his cousin's head to try to escape the Starks. A cousin who admired and looked up to him might I add. I would think kinslaying takes higher precedence than throwing a peeping Tom kid who caught you fucking your sister.

You have a dragon?!

giphy.gif

No but we have reptiles of all sorts living on this planet with us. The only way for Qyburn to have had poisoned big arrow tips is if either a book of Dragon poisons existed, or he had the opportunity to play around with dragon test subjects to experiment with. The latter couldn't have happened, and I doubt the former. Therefore my conclusion is no poisoned tips.

Yeah yesterday I tried to poison a dragon and it didn't work, you are right.

You know I didn't mean we had literal dragons, but that poisons that can harm humans don't always work the same with other animal species.

Are you sure that's his biggest misstep? I recall him also bashing in his cousin's head to try to escape the Starks. A cousin who admired and looked up to him might I add. I would think kinslaying takes higher precedence than throwing a peeping Tom kid who caught you fucking your sister.

giphy.gif

No but we have reptiles of all sorts living on this planet with us. The only way for Qyburn to have had poisoned big arrow tips is if either a book of Dragon poisons existed, or he had the opportunity to play around with dragon test subjects to experiment with. The latter couldn't have happened, and I doubt the former. Therefore my conclusion is no poisoned tips.
I'm sorry. I had to. As for his cousin, yeah, that was messed up. But that is war. He wanted to escape. Bran was just a poor lil' boy who didn't listen to mom.

Nere

You know I didn't mean we had literal dragons, but that poisons that can harm humans don't always work the same with other animal species.

I know what you meant but if you re-read what you wrote it sounds like you said we have dragons in real life:D

effzee

We shall see; I have a feeling Bran knows Jon is going to find out somehow, without Bran having to tell him.

Not sure about that. First thing he tells Sansa is that he has to talk to Jon, presumably about his origin and place in this war.

I think he knows this is vital information that Jon needs to know to either build a true alliance with Danny or this information will lead him to control and ride a dragon into battle against the WW.

BTA

I still can't believe they're referring to the battle at the end of the latest episode as the "Loot Train Attack"

When I opened HBO Go to watch the episode, a clip with that in the title was on the home screen, which: 1. spoilers? and 2. I couldn't stop laughing at it.

effzee

Agreed but unfortunately, with a show with so many interesting characters who now have to all get together and finish the story, there isn't any room for their development. Same with Tyrion.

We saw the best of both when they were either captured by their enemies or in constant survival mode. With the Stars safe and out of King's Landing, Jamie has no moral conflicts and easily gives in his to make in desire, his sister.

Also on Dorne, I recognize their King and or Queen are killed and destroyed. They still have an army right? Shouldn't their forces still be sailing for KL to assist Danny?

But they knew they were going into a fight.

I still can't believe they're referring to the battle at the end of the latest episode as the "Loot Train Attack"

When I opened HBO Go to watch the episode, a clip with that in the title was on the home screen, which: 1. spoilers? and 2. I couldn't stop laughing at it.
Yep! Pissed me off. Kept clean from spoilers, then loaded up HBO Go and that was right in my face.

OrionX

Getting captured is what Jaime does best so I'm hopeful.

I really want to see how it would affect Dany and Tyrion's relationship. Considering the growing friction between them and the somewhat disturbed "what have I unleashed on Westeros" look on Tyrion's face during the battle, I'm beginning to worry about his loyalty to Dany. My heart couldn't take it if he did something to betray her and got himself burnt. Now that I think of it, it would be ironic if another Lannister Hand of the King/Queen betrayed another Targaryen. :(

Bran was innocent, but what he saw could have ended in Cersei, Jamie, and all of their children's deaths.
Agreed. What I didn't like why his lack of conflict over the decision. Some could argue "that is just how much he loves Cersei!" but that wouldn't fit with what else we've seen of this deeply complex character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom