• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That fight with Brienne was some Arrow choreography shit.

Half expected Arya to do a wall flip.

Dammit I added an extra "i" lol. It's habibti. I always giggle when dude's call their girls habibi due to it technically being the masculine version of the word.
I thought it was just the word habibi and meant to be masculine & feminine and address both genders, I didn't know there were variations of it. Do you speak Arabic btw?

UberLevi

Good setup episode but I felt like dropping the Rhaegar stuff that way was a little weird. On the one hand, it's such a ridiculous reveal I'm not sure how else you could do it without it being insanely melodramatic; on the other, Gilly randomly reading a book and finding it seemed absurdly convenient.

She's got nothing to do all day except sit around reading scrolls in the world's largest archive of recorded history. She's probably read hundreds of scrolls off-screen that didn't amount to much more than how many shits a maester took, not out of the question that she found a diamond in the rough for once, only to be cut off by Sam who's used to her reading him all the useless nonsense she sifts through.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So from the looks of this show, is there a possibility that the Night King saga ends before this series is over? Like the whole Night King quest ends midway into next season and then one side turns on one another with a swerve? Or do we all think this ends with Night King being final boss still?

Absolutely. Very little doubt in my mind. The White Walkers were the first scene of the entire show and they'll likely be in it up until the last. It's always been about them.

You shut your dirty mouth

Madqueen Cersei is going to blow his ass up
giphy.gif

Hydrus

So from the looks of this show, is there a possibility that the Night King saga ends before this series is over? Like the whole Night King quest ends midway into next season and then one side turns on one another with a swerve? Or do we all think this ends with Night King being final boss still?

Eh, I really dont see them doing much with this. The big war vs the whitewalkers is what everything has built up to, and where all the budget is going too aswell. My guess is Cersie is killed by Jaime at the end of the whitewalker war before she does something dumb, like " Burn them all!".

RedAssedApe

Banned
Holy shit at the compression of this episode, so many artifacts during the night or cave scenes, my satilette provider is pure shit (Bell TV).

Haha I thought your post was gonna be about how compact the episodes are feeling with all the time skipping

Vectorman

Banned
Absolutely. Very little doubt in my mind. The White Walkers were the first scene of the entire show and they'll likely be in it up until the last. It's always been about them.
So when Cersei biting it then? Halfway next season? Cause I have a hard time believing that she is willing to hang out with people she all wants to murder.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So when Cersei biting it then? Halfway next season? Cause I have a hard time believing that she is willing to hang out with people she all wants to murder.

Who knows. I think sometime during next season. Likely before the "final battle" or confrontation or whatever it ends up being with The Night King.

She really doesn't appear to have any interest in participating in the great battle, so her character will likely be useless by then. I think she's gone by midway through the final season.

They'll all team up for Whitewalkers and then turn on each other immediately following.(possibly during if they feel they can make it look like the dead did it)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I thought it was just the word habibi and meant to be masculine & feminine and address both genders, I didn't know there were variations of it. Do you speak Arabic btw?

No technically habibi and habibti are the masculine and feminine versions of the same word. It's become common to use them interchangeably, but a stickler to grammar might try to point the differences out.

Hahaha I bring shame to my family for how bad my Arabic is even compared to my sisters. I once had a guy flip out at me when I worked at Future Shop, because I told him my Arabic was bad. He straight up told me that any children I had would be doomed because they probably wouldn't be able to speak the language of their forefathers. He even wanted to know where my dad worked so he could ask him why I turned out the way I did lol.

Bulzeeb

Huge bombs this episode. So Jon is the rightful King right, or atleast he has more claim than Dany?

yeah, to be honnest, I dont really like Dany, I guess they might play the cousing route ship at the end, but for me, a good end would be Cercei and Dany killing themselves on a 1v1 cat fight or whatever-

sangreal

The producers mentioned this off season they gave up on the travel time aspect, it took too much time to travel and it would be boring and slow paced. It's only going to get worse IMO.

You could argue it's badly paced storytelling or a lack of episodes to finish the show.

I mean HBO would have given them five more seasons if they wanted it. The producers insisted on rushing the end of the series with two short seasons so any blame for the pace is squarely on them not the number of episodes.

I'm fine with the pace though. There doesn't seem to be many interesting side stories left to explore while we wait for people to get where they are going

sorry im not a graphic designer

Ud1wZxt.jpg

This is going to be such a badass journey. These characters are so freaking fun. Plz dont let anyone die :(

Beric is such a badass.

Also, remember the first time they go north of the wall? It was a full on creepy horror feeling. Such a fantastic location

Mrbob

She's an awful character that was portrayed on the show as a dunce who thinks they are smarter than they are. The show made a point to constantly point it out. Her father even mentions it a couple of times in the first season. After last season, they don't really know what to do with her, so now we're supposed to take her as a mastermind. Give me a break.

Tarly (after tonight's episode especially) is proving to be more interesting.

Yeah the supposed change in Cersei to strategic mastermind is tough but I'm taking this as a swerve to give a little drama. Her arrogance is going to be her downfall.

Kickz

Amazing episode, man props to the writers I feel like this show is back at its peak.
And looks like last weeks fears of Dany being the mad Queen got a bit more substantive this week as she burned alive Dickon.

Anyone catch what Arya read on that note?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That fight with Brienne was some Arrow choreography shit.

Half expected Arya to do a wall flip.
Literally the only part where you have to suspend disbelief is the kick flip and even then that can be interpreted as Arya just showing off. Otherwise it's a really normal and plausible fight:
x4LXi8K.gif

MNsF7lr.gif

It's mostly showing off that Arya's advantage is first and foremost her small size and speed and ability to read her enemy's movements. So pretty much standard water dancing that no one in this part of the world is used to.

I do feel like they could have used a few scenes here and there to indicate the passage of time between the set-pieces. Like maybe a Jaime and Bronn are on the way back and look pathetic and weary, and hitch a ride on a merchant's wagon or something.

Maybe Jon and Jorah talk on the boat about Jorah's dad, and it moves to Dany briefly, and in the background we see the other men in bunks, the place is a mess like a bunch have dudes have been living there for a while.

Euron in a drunken brawl with a crew member while the rest of the crew cheers them on, and Euron beats the dude senseless and showboats like a peacock.

Maybe Greyworm pacing and looking down from the walls of Casterly Rock at some unsullied training below. That scene wouldn't be too expensive in a relative sense.

Just a few of these here and there would help the audience's imagination a little more.

Vectorman

Banned
Theon is on the longest redemption arc ever.

Possibly one of the most unsatisfying ones at that lol. I do like this season but they should be better to keep things in check ie Ghost, Theon, Davo's wife, Grey Worm etc. The loss of not doing 10 episodes I guess.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One thing I forgot to check for, did the "Dream Team" head out past with wall with dragon glass? Would be pretty dumb if they didn't bring any.

sangreal

Yeah the supposed change in Cersei to strategic mastermind is tough but I'm taking this as a swerve to give a little drama. Her arrogance is going to be her downfall.

What had Cersei done to deserve being called a mastermind? Sure she is acting like one, and thinks she is one, but that was always the case. I don't see any reason to think her plans will work ouf

pablito

She'd have to kill someone in Winterfell to take their face, right?

The faceless magic is confusing to me. We've seen them removing faces from dead people. That implies they need the actual faces to use them. But when fake Jaqen killed himself because Arya killed the wrong person, she swiped a bunch of faces off that body and revealed hers. She obviously isn't dead. So like...how does it work?

Is it just me, or does it seem like the folks from Essos are way better at fighting than the folks in Westeros? Jaime talking about the Dothraki like they were some unbeatable army was pretty jarring considering the Westerosis wear plate mail which should protect them from most attacks the Dothraki can throw at them. Maybe it's just a shear numbers thing, but between the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Faceless Men, and some of the stuff we've seen from mercenaries here and there, the warriors from Essos seem substantially more skillful than those from Westeros.

Vectorman

Banned
I mean you know he's going to die doing something brave and critical.

Yeah but they really should have made Theon do something other than jump off the ship. Get knocked out and thrown overboard or something. It makes the character seem like he has no sense of change and I'm suppose to believe that he will die heroically now?

What had Cersei done to deserve being called a mastermind? Sure she is acting like one, and thinks she is one, but that was always the case. I don't see any reason to think her plans will work ouf

She will likely die, plans failing in the process, but Cersei will get one last laugh before it's all said and done. She may even be dead when it happens. I think the writers to want us to feel like the good guy is finally stepping up and getting a few wins. Something crazy will happen between the last two episodes of this season and the middle of next IMO

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
JON IS A LEGITIMATE SON

HEIR TO THE THRONE

SHIT'S VALID YO

Don't let Jon&Dany fight plz, they're meant to rule together

biggest reveal of the episode for me

sangreal

Excuse me? She just killed half of the cast last season
And that was one of the dumbest things she ever did. As evidenced by her last kid killing himself shortly after

There is also a direct line between that and her losing her army and food last week

And it was cleaning up a mess she created with another of her hairbrained schemes

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is it just me, or does it seem like the folks from Essos are way better at fighting than the folks in Westeros? Jaime talking about the Dothraki like they were some unbeatable army was pretty jarring considering the Westerosis wear plate mail which should protect them from most attacks the Dothraki can throw at them. Maybe it's just a shear numbers thing, but between the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Faceless Men, and some of the stuff we've seen from mercenaries here and there, the warriors from Essos seem substantially more skillful than those from Westeros.
The sheer numbers and total savagery is something they have no idea how to handle. Aside from a few exceptions, westeros fighters are pretty vanilla in their style.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
After Robert's Rebellion there was a time of peace. Many of their current troops would be from this generation of adults with some veterans of Robert's War. The steppe life is basically a constant state of warfare. The faceless men dedicate their lives to assassination. The Unsullied have no lives beyond fighting.

It's comparing "normal" people to people born into the military caste. Spartans vs Athenians, but on a continental level.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This is going to be such a badass journey. These characters are so freaking fun. Plz dont let anyone die :(

Beric is such a badass.

Also, remember the first time they go north of the wall? It was a full on creepy horror feeling. Such a fantastic location

You must realize they're all going to die. These season is not fucking around.

NolbertoS

The faceless magic is confusing to me. We've seen them removing faces from dead people. That implies they need the actual faces to use them. But when fake Jaqen killed himself because Arya killed the wrong person, she swiped a bunch of faces off that body and revealed hers. She obviously isn't dead. So like...how does it work?

The way I see it, the faceless men take a few faces with them everywhere to borrow or kill someone to get there face temporarily. One way it could work is Arya pretends to die to let Littlefingers guard down when pretenfing to fight Sansa through Brienne and then Arya kills Littlefinger with some other peasant girls face standing next to him.

burgervan

Just watched it. What an inconsistent show. Last two episodes were great but this was a total disaster. So much stuff I've been waiting to see and they completely whiffed it. The only scene I liked was Dany burning the tarleys. Jorah reunion was about 3 seconds long. Return of Gendry completely glossed over. What a rush job.

I'm not worried. The show's been inconsistent for a long while, but this was a big miss for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom