• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Not technically though. The Greyjoys, and the Tyrells aren't her armies though, but rather the forces of her allies. Her own personal forces haven't been defeated yet.

What's RR? I'm talking specifically about Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship. Robert has told everyone that would listen that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, and we know that's not true. Sure those two running off together helped start the war, but I don't for a moment believe they thought the chain of events that occurred to initiate a war was going to happen like that.

Now I don't know why they never bothered to send ravens after they ran off though, because that part is weird.

As ignorant as Robert was, he wasn't the only one to believe that Lyanna was kidnapped. Their secret marriage attests to that, many believe she was kidnapped. While many in the 7 kingdoms also attest to Rhaegar's honour and believe there was more to the tale.

Although I was salty about Rhaegar discarding his old heirs in favour of his future child(Jon), I understand there is more at play and he must have a reason.
Robert, Eddard and thousands of others didn't, as far as they knew she vanished with the Dragon prince and was unheard of for months.

With regards to Dany's battles, yeah you're right. Her own armies are undefeated so the braids make some sense then. But there is the question of the Unsullied at Casterly Rock.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
She needs someone to Cersei up her hair and make her do the walk.

You're a bad person, with dark thoughts, and an even darker heart.

^^ are we even certain Dany is wearing braids due to the whole Dothraki thing? She's been wearing braids on and off since the first season. I think this is just the internet trying to find clues where there are none.

The Dothraki accomplished their objective. They had their ride back home torched, but they haven't technically taken an L.

You're a bad person, with dark thoughts, and an even darker heart.

^^ are we even certain Dany is wearing braids due to the whole Dothraki thing? She's been wearing braids on and off since the first season. I think this is just the internet trying to find clues where there are none.

The Dothraki accomplished their objective. They had their ride back home torched, but they haven't technically taken an L.

Unsullied

Why was the marriage a secret anyway?

She was going against her families orders basically to marry Robert

He stole the betrothed of a head of a great house.

They both were fucking up here.

Heshinsi

Because Robert would have murdered every single Targaryen to get back his prized bride. It's like Helen of Troy, except the two lovers don't even make it in the end so that their future progeny end up building Rome...wait.

^ Dammit, yes Unsullied.

dabig2

It would have pissed off the Starks.
It would have pissed off the Baratheons.
It would have pissed off all of Dorne.
It would have pissed off his crazy father.

He knew he was creating a potential shitstorm so he chose to hide and run away. Was probably hoping that despite so many powerful parties being pissed off, everything would just work itself out over time while he bangs his new bride for months.

It didn't. And he's even more stupid than Robb, who gets shit on all the time.

Heshinsi

He knew he was creating a potential shitstorm so he chose to hide and run away. Was probably hoping that despite so many powerful parties being pissed off, everything would just work itself out over time while he bangs his new bride for months.

They were more stupid than Robb. They, it was a marriage after all and not a kidnapping.

Shit, I forgot Nedd's sister was married to Robert.

Seems like they did what Cersei never was able to do, and she got the short end of the stick with Robert.

Heshinsi

Shit, I forgot Nedd's sister was married to Robert.

Seems like they did what Cersei never was able to do, and she got the short end of the stick with Robert.
She wasn't married to him, more like promised to him. She had no agency in the matter, and the moment she took agency in deciding who she wants to love and marry, it starts a war.

Guess Rhaegar tried. Whatever he could've done won't nullify how big of a scandal this is.
Putting aside his own family, "disrespect" towards other Great Houses, "kidnapped" a betrothed woman. It looks bad.

This prophecy..lmao. I hope they show us what Rhaegar "saw" for him to wager everything.

She wasn't married to him, more like promised to him. She had no agency in the matter, and the moment she took agency in deciding who she wants to love and marry, it starts a war.

Ah, right, promised. And Robert sure did seem to like her. Though Im convinced he'd have been a piece of shit either way. Dude was a man child.

I feel bad for Cersei's marriage. It's very clear that her marriage to Robert made her so much more bitter.

Fuck Robert Baratheon.

the only successful pregnancy we've seen was Gilly's. Talisa gets murdered in the most horrific way, then Walder Frey & her baby gets eaten alive. Even in season 1 (or 2?) Robert's bastard baby is slain.

So it'd be nice to have a change of pace and Dany successfully give birth to a healthy baby for once

Heshinsi

Ah, right, promised. And Robert sure did seem to like her. Though Im convinced he'd have been a piece of shit either way. Dude was a man child.

I feel bad for Cersei's marriage. It's very clear that her marriage to Robert made her so much more bitter.

Fuck Robert Baratheon.

Dude had the audacity in one episode talk to Ned about how much he loved Lyanna, and how she was the only woman for him, and how she was taken from him. Next episode while picnicking under a tree, same guy is bragging to Ned about all the pussy he used to drown himself in.

"Want to go do the 7 again bro?! We can go right now baby and hit every tavern and brothel in the realm!"

the only successful pregnancy we've seen was Gilly's. Talisa gets murdered in the most horrific way, then Walder Frey & her baby gets eaten alive. Even in season 1 (or 2?) Robert's bastard baby is slain.

So it'd be nice to have a change of pace and Dany successfully give birth to a healthy baby for once

And not die like every mother of every important caharacter. If she died in child birth, I'm turning the tv off.

Dude had the audacity in one episode talk to Ned about how much he lived Lyanna, and how she was the only woman for him, and how she was taken from him. Next episode while picnicking under a tree, same guy is bragging to Ned about all the pussy he used to drown himself in.

"Want to go do the 7 again bro?! We can go right now baby and hit every tavern and brothel in the realm!"
The show doesn't really make it clear if Robert was always indulging in this lifestyle, or if he only started indulging in it after he heard Lyanna died

I wonder how Robert would feel if he knew what had really happened. I wonder if he would have taken his anger out on the Starks in general.

Cersei might have been a better person had Robert actually loved her and didn't mention Lyanna all the damn time.

Heshinsi

The show doesn't really make it clear if Robert was always indulging in this lifestyle, or if he only started indulging in it after he heard Lyanna died
The king can't be adventuring around and publically hitting brothels all over the kingdom right from the bat. I'm pretty sure this was pre-war Robert.

Well, it's clear Lyanna didn't reciprocate those feelings. Seems like he was obsessed/entitled to her and was too dumb to see that she didn't love him.

Dude in general seems dumb.

Ned and Robert were so different. Robert says he sees Ned as a brother but it felt like a "possession", much as he sees Lyanna.
It's like Eddard's life didn't matter, he "belonged" to Robert.

Heshinsi

Well, it's clear Lyanna didn't reciprocate those feelings. Seems like he was obsessed/entitled to her and was too dumb to see that she didn't love him.

Dude in general seems dumb.

A womaniser, a brooding loser , and a baby brother who had the misfortune of being born last. Renly would have made a far better King than either Robert or Stannis.

Sony

Nintendo
The king can't be adventuring around and publically hitting brothels all over the kingdom right from the bat. I'm pretty sure this was pre-war Robert.

They've been killing babies in season 1. The war was 7 years before the start of season 1. So no, it wasn't pre war Robert.

Fuck Robert Baratheon.

Lyanna was kinda like Arya, he was attracted to her wildness. Cerci is more like Sansa, if you wanted a Arya but got a Sansa your not going to be happy, because they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Lyanna was kinda like Arya, he was attracted to her wildness. Cerci is more like Sansa, if you wanted a Arya but got a Sansa your not going to be happy, because they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Huh. I guess it's neat how Sansa was mentored by Cersei then, and I guess she's supposed to be reflecting that in the North right now?

Sansa always comes off as too nice and stupid, and Im wondering if they meant for her to become more resentful/bitter like the Queen

Lyanna was bethroed to Robert, a highborn and Lord of StormsEnd, with a decent force and allies with the North. Not only is it a direct insult to Robert, but also a huge Fuck you to Dorne, because the marriage to Elia was to keep the Martell's vast Dornish army alied to the Crown.

Sansa always comes off as too nice and stupid, and Im wondering if they meant for her to become more resentful/bitter like the Queen

They did earlier, but then the turning point was when she lied about Littlefinger killing Lysa.

Nothing she had done since has been stupid. If fact, not telling Jon about the Army of the Vale before a big battle shows how deceptive and cold-hearted she had become.

She is Cersei 2.0 with the deceptiveness of Littlefinger.

Heshinsi

They've been killing babies in season 1. The war was 7 years before the start of season 1. So no, it wasn't pre war Robert.
I'm confused at to what you're referring to lol. How was the war 7 years before the start of the Seaon 1, if Rickon Stark is at least that age, and Robb/Jon are clearly over double that when the first episode aired? Robert is telling Ned about their adventuring days. Robert also tells Ned that they haven't seen each other for years. So how could Robert and Ned been on adventures together after Robert became King?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They pretty much caused the red wedding but for targaryens. This is why you always leave a note when you get married to someone you're not supposed to be married with.

They did earlier, but then the turning point was when she lied about Littlefinger killing Lysa.

Nothing she had done since has been stupid. If fact, not telling Jon about the Army of the Vale before a big battle shows how deceptive and cold-hearted she had become.

She is Cersei 2.0 with the deceptiveness of Littlefinger.

She certainly doesn't feel that way

Heshinsi

Lyanna was bethroed to Robert, a highborn and Lord of StormsEnd, with a decent force and allies with the North. Not only is it a direct insult to Robert, but also a huge Fuck you to Dorne, because the marriage to Elia was to keep the Martell's vast Dornish army alied to the Crown.

giphy.gif

I wonder how Robert would feel if he knew what had really happened. I wonder if he would have taken his anger out on the Starks in general.

In the Season 1 Blu-ray set, there's a awesome Lore video about Robert's Rebellion. The actor who plays Robert did the narration for his part. He clearly says that Tywin's men killing Elia and her children was "war". This tells me Robert would have killed Jon. Ned knew he would otherwise he would have told Robert long ago.

Jombie

Cersei might have been a better person had Robert actually loved her and didn't mention Lyanna all the damn time.

Cersei loved Robert at first and then he turned into a sloppy perpetual boozer who assaulted her every night. He was a great warrior but he was a piece of shit. It further reinforces Ned's bullshit romanticized and hypocritical ideas of honor, as I don't know what the hell he ever saw in Robert.

Heshinsi

In the Season 1 Blu-ray set, there's a awesome Lore video about Robert's Rebellion. The actor who plays Robert did the narration for his part. He clearly says that Tywin's men killing Elia and her children was "war". This tells me Robert would have killed Jon. Ned knew he would otherwise he would have told Robert long ago.

Further solidified by Jon's own mother telling Ned that Robert would kill him, and that Ned himself knows he would. Man fuck Robert baratheon. Anyone willing to kill children, or ok with their deaths because it works to their advantage, is an asshole of incredible heights.

Ned was friends with this guys and was ok with his sister marrying him?

giphy.gif

^ the gif is my reaction upon seeing the words "Dorne" and "army" put together in the same sentence. I just get the giggles thinking about this vast Lannister hating army collectively standing around holding their dicks until someone activates them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's cool how Robert wanting to kill Dany is mirrored to Ned's own struggle to keep Jon safe. Ned arguing Robert not to kill Dany and her baby is like Ned arguing with him not to kill Jon.

Robert did change his mind when he was on his deathbed, so I wonder if he found out about Jon, would he change his mind?

effzee

Cersei loved Robert at first and then he turned into a sloppy perpetual boozer who assaulted her every night. He was a great warrior but he was a piece of shit. It further reinforces Ned's bullshit romanticized and hypocritical ideas of honor, as I don't know what the hell he ever saw in Robert.

I thought the show made it clear that Robert became who he became because he lost the one woman who he truly loved. That her loss plus the Mad King burning down Ned's dad and brother caused Robert to lead a rebellion.

After winning the war but losing Lyanna, Robert marries Cersei as a business decision but he never loves her.

This further fucks over Cersei.

Maybe if Prince "Ragger" and Lyanna didn't fuck over Robert, tens of thousands lives could have been saved including Ned's dad, brother, the Martells and their kids, and Cersei might have been somewhat normal.

The more I think about it, the two of them brought all the chaos in their current world upon all the families.

Jombie

I thought the show made it clear that Robert became who he became because he lost the one woman who he truly loved. That her loss plus the Mad King burning down Ned's dad and brother caused Robert to lead a rebellion.

After winning the war but losing Lyanna, Robert marries Cersei as a business decision but he never loves her.

Maybe if Prince "Ragger" and Lyanna didn't fuck over Robert, tens of thousands lives could have been saved including Ned's dad, brother, the Martells and their kids, and Cersei might have been somewhat normal.

The more I think about it, the two of them brought all the chaos in their current world upon all the families.

Wasn't one of the reasons Lyanna never took to Robert was because he was a childish drunk?

Heshinsi

So a woman is a prized possession that has no free will of her own? Fucked over Robert? Fuck that piece of shit. If Arya truly takes after her aunt Lyanna, than it would stand to reason that she would never have gone along with being Robert's wife. The fact that the Stark men thought she would is beyond idiotic, and perhaps they expected her as a woman, she would simply swallow her independence and do what woman have always done in every kingdom but Dorne.

It's cool how Robert wanting to kill Dany is mirrored to Ned's own struggle to keep Jon safe. Ned arguing Robert not to kill Dany and her baby is like Ned arguing with him not to kill Jon.

Robert did change his mind when he was on his deathbed, so I wonder if he found out about Jon, would he change his mind?

Yeah, that and also Ned's disdain for dead children.
Looking at dead Targaryens at the end of RR pissed him off while Robert and Jon Arryn let it slide.

Eddard was too good for this world.

televator

Wasn't one of the reasons Lyanna never took to Robert was because he was a childish drunk?

And a man whore. We saw how it played out for Cersie. He was drunkenly propositioning women right in front of her and the whole North.

Lyanna read him like a book.

Heshinsi

According to Dany, Robert Baratheon spent years trying to kill her, he would have attempted the same if he knew about Jon early on. Jon would have been and even bigger threat to him than Visarys and Dany due to actually being in Westeros, and crown loyalists would have had a son of Rhaegar to rally behind.

Jombie

So a woman is a prized possession that has no free will of her own? Fucked over Robert? Fuck that piece of shit. If Arya truly takes after her aunt Lyanna, than it would stand to reason that she would never have gone along with being Robert's wife. The fact that the Stark men thought she would is beyond idiotic, and perhaps that expected that as a woman, Lyanna would simply swallow her independence and do what woman have always done in every kingdom but Dorne.

I always had the feeling that Robert confused obesssion with love. It was definitely a one-sided romance.

Top Bottom