• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Griss

Did you forget how he treated Gilly for being a Wildling?

Ah, yeah I had actually. Still, Wildings were also (even moreso than the Dothraki) enemies of the 7 kingdoms and showed it time and again. They raided and killed, as we saw them kill Ollie's family. As a result "Wildlings are sub-human scum" is pretty much a uniform opinion in Westeros, and there's a reason for it. Not gonna blame him for that.

Plum

Racist? The Dothraki absolutely are, 100%, an invading army. It's racist to fight to defend your homeland against foreign invaders? Ones with a culture of brutal ransacking and rape?

He is literally shown as a giant racist in the show. All it takes for him to invade Highgarden, kill everyone there and then let himself and his dynasty be killed is Jaime going "yo Dany's got some illegal immigrants working for her."

sam12

Jon, on the other hand, is very, very aware of his position, what others have sacrificed for him, how much fortune he has had etc. He constantly ponders why he, specifically, should have been brought back to life rather than other great men. He's humble and brave.

It's got to be Jon in the end, for me.

He is also foolish and careless with no tactical sense. Always bringing doom to men around him. I fear for the few going under his command to catch a wight/white walker. Few versus an army of the dead. Watch him do something foolish there.

As we are getting closer to the end of the series, I think it would be a good time to take another look at a popular quote from George R R Martin from Rolling Stones, especially considering we are wondering if Dany will make it as Queen, and if she does, will she be a good one?

Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

Not to mention shuttling his first born off to the Wall because Sam didn't live up to his ideals.

Worse, how he chased Sam off was disgusting.
Had him wear chainmail to bed when he was little, bathe in bull's blood, wear dresses to humiliate him.
Found this out from the S6 blu-ray extras, the guy was sick.

jett

D-Member
lol at people saying Randyll Tarly isn't racist. The show couldn't have made it any clearer.

As we are getting closer to the end of the series, I think it would be a good time to take another look at a popular quote from George R R Martin from Rolling Stones, especially considering we are wondering if Dany will make it as Queen, and if she does, will she be a good one?

I can see the show ending without a centralized Westeros empire and going back to multiple kingdoms.

Griss

He is literally shown as a giant racist in the show. All it takes for him to invade Highgarden, kill everyone there and then let himself and his dynasty be killed is Jaime going "yo Dany's got some illegal immigrants working for her."

They aren't illegal immigrants for fuck's sake, they are an invading army of foreigners. We aren't in fucking poligaf here for fuck's sake.

He is also foolish and careless with no tactical sense. Always bringing doom to men around him. I fear for the few going under his command to catch a wight/white walker. Few versus an army of the dead. Watch him do something foolish there.

Tf? Was he foolish when he fought at the Wall?
First military blunder and he's a foolish and careless leader?

Speevy

Banned
Randyll Tarly and Dothraki are horrible.

The show hasn't portrayed a just Dothraki khal.

Even Khal Drogo talked about raping in his famous mother of mountains speech.

The gall of Dany to tell Yara to abandon her family's history of piracy was funny.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sam's mom is best mom in Westeros.

She was able to have 3 kids and raise them to be good people when their father is a goddamn monster and then she was kind to Gilly after knowing she was a Wildling.

Nameless

Tf? Was he foolish when he fought at the Wall?
First military blunder and he's a foolish and careless leader?

And it wasn't even really a military blunder, it was an emotional one. He made a mad, desperate dash to save his brother. He didn't order anyone to follow him and compromise their position, Davos did to save him.

jett

D-Member
Randyll Tarly and Dothraki are horrible.

The show hasn't portrayed a just Dothraki khal.

Even Khal Drogo talked about raping in his famous mother of mountains speech.

The gall of Dany to tell Yara to abandon her family's history of piracy was funny.

A medieval army (of any sort) without a good helping of rape would be the strangest thing.

I wonder how is Dany reigning in her hordes. What are they even doing when they aren't in middle of a battle.

Plum

They aren't illegal immigrants for fuck's sake, they are an invading army of foreigners. We aren't in fucking poligaf here for fuck's sake.

Mate it's just a joke on how easily swayed the guy was by the mere mention of some foreign horde. Yes, the Dothraki and most Wildlings are assholes, but that doesn't make Tarly not racist.

Einchy

But did she make the best potatoes?

when she boils your potatoes
qptogHs.png

And it wasn't even really a military blunder, it was an emotional one. He made a mad, desperate dash to save his brother. He didn't order anyone to follow him and compromise their position, Davos did you save him.

Yep, the goal of the battle was to save Lord Stark.
It's what Sansa used to convince him until she told him "lol, he's dead, forget about him."

Eh, it's just another "lol, Starks r dumb" meme.

Speevy

Banned
A medieval army (of any sort) without a good helping of rape would be the strangest thing.

I wonder how is Dany reigning in her hordes. What are they even doing when they aren't in middle of a battle.

"Hey guys, so King's Landing is that way. There are hundreds of women and lots of jewels, just a short way. We however are going back to the tiny island with the abandoned castle. Guys?"

So Canadian friends, I get HBO but I'm not home, is there an Hbo go equivalent that shows it love or do I have to wait for on demand? I'm with Rogers

Einchy

So Canadian friends, I get HBO but I'm not home, is there an Hbo go equivalent that shows it love or do I have to wait for on demand? I'm with Rogers

If you're able to get on HBO Go's website, you should be able to see it as soon as it goes live.

Griss

So, this is the 2nd last episode of the season, which is usually the 'big' one. But on the other hand it's only the 6th episode of the season rather than the 9th, so we haven't had as much build up. And the last episode is apparently almost an hour and a half long.

So are we expecting this to be the episode where all kinds of shit goes down or is it going to be next episode? I could see it being next episode.

I wonder if they'll attack King's Landing before the season is out. I really thought they'd deal with the Lannisters this season and then turn their attention to the white walkers next season. Cersei has outperformed my expectations of her season after season. She's a survivor.

Einchy

So, this is the 2nd last episode of the season, which is usually the 'big' one. But on the other hand it's only the 6th episode of the season rather than the 9th, so we haven't had as much build up. And the last episode is apparently almost an hour and a half long.

So are we expecting this to be the episode where all kinds of shit goes down or is it going to be next episode? I could see it being next episode.

I wonder if they'll attack King's Landing before the season is out. I really thought they'd deal with the Lannisters this season and then turn their attention to the white walkers next season. Cersei has outperformed my expectations of her season after season. She's a survivor.

I'm also wondering how they will do a the big one this season. We've already had the Loot Train attack, and that would've normally been the big one for the season but we still got this episode where they're going North of the Wall, so you gotta expect we'll see some big ass White Walker budgety type shit.

sam12

Yep, the goal of the battle was to save Lord Stark.
It's what Sansa used to convince him until she told him "lol, he's dead, forget about him."

Eh, it's just another "lol, Starks r dumb" meme.

Nope, Sansa is a Stark and not dumb

Jon is brave but does not plan/think before he fights.

I just want to see Ghost...been asking for a scene with him all season :[
tumblr_n52xi7EI2V1qc8n39o1_r1_500.gif

Nope, Sansa is a Stark and not dumb

Jon is brave but does not plan/think before he fights.
What were those battle plans they went over then?
Were they having a laugh? He thinks, he was just overwhelmed watching his brother run towards him trying to outrun a murderous bastard.
I can't even blame him.

jett

D-Member
"Hey guys, so King's Landing is that way. There are hundreds of women and lots of jewels, just a short way. We however are going back to the tiny island with the abandoned castle. Guys?"

I wish this show had gone full King's Landing destruction instead of whatever is going on right now with Cersei and co.

Ploid 3.0

Thinking about it, the concept of a fire breathing anything seems silly. It's almost like spitting a stream of water on command, "wait let me refill my belly for another squirt." Not even David Blaine with a endless gut of water could keep that up, and it would look funny.

Top Bottom