• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinda

Oh my god I heard so many people complain about the fact that sansa couldn't have known that Ramseys dogs hadn't been fed for days. Really? You see Jon beat the shit out of Ramsey with Sansa watching and then it cuts to Ramsey being in a cell (the dog kennel?) tied to a chair. You guys realize there has to be quite some time in between those scenes right? You know Jon or someone could just have told Sansa, or maybe the person looking after the dogs is still alive and told her....who cares!

This is what Ned discovers. Littlefinger hints at it to help him figure it out. "He began asking the wrong questions."

But we later find out (just before he pushes her out of the moon door) that Lysa Arran had her husband killed. Littlefinger convinced her to do it. The whole thing was his plan to pit the great houses against each other so he could take advantage of the chaos.
Wow, really? I completely missed that detail. Holy shit

Oh my god I heard so many people complain about the fact that sansa couldn't have known that Ramseys dogs hadn't been fed for days. Really? You see Jon beat the shit out of Ramsey with Sansa watching and then it cuts to Ramsey being in a cell (the dog kennel?) tied to a chair. You guys realize there has to be quite some time in between those scenes right? You know Jon or someone could just have told Sansa, or maybe the person looking after the dogs is still alive and told her....who cares!

Ramsay literally told them about not feeding dogs for a week in that pre battle chat. Sansa was there....

Szeth

"Where is he?"

"In the dog kennel, he said he hasn't fed them for 7 days"

But nah Jon probably just silently pointed in the direction of the kennel after it cut away.

Such a strange complaint to have lol.

Yeah honestly.

People praise these types of things in shows like Mad Men for "being smart" and "letting the viewer fill in the gaps". Thrones is apparently required to spell it all out though.

Dennis

Banned
Such a strange complaint to have lol.

This thread, and the other book-readers thread, about the greatest fantasy show to ever grace TV, is just filled with people nitpicking the smallest, dumbest things.

I am amazed we are getting visuals like this in a TV show.

The writing is at least on par with TV standard even if the quality right now is a bit lower than we could have hoped compared to earlier seasons.

l46CyIfuqRVpoNqgw.gif

The Internet would not have survived.

Gotta save something for the season finale

Yeah, it's totally gonna happen.

Stop making sense dude.

Why the hell would Ramsay shoot Wun Wun when Jon was standing right next to him and he had a clean shot?

Couldn't it just be that he knew that Jon Snow being dead in that moment would just mean the men would shoot him dead? But a taunt and getting in his head and then a last ditch 1 v 1 has a chance of survival?

This thread, and the other book-readers thread, about the greatest fantasy show to ever grace TV, is just filled with people nitpicking the smallest, dumbest things.

I am amazed we are getting visuals like this in a TV show.

The writing is at least on par with TV standard even if the quality right now is a bit lower than we could have hoped compared to earlier seasons.
I honestly think that was the best medieval battle I've ever seen, tv or film. Stripping away the glory and grandeur that movies love to do - the sweeping shots, the majestic charge, etc. - and focusing on the brutal reality of what battle might have looked like - the mountains of corpses, the chaos in the midst of a battlefield, the fear, the mud, the suffocating crush of bodies as hundreds panic and flee - elevated this battle above every other. This was the Saving Private Ryan of medieval warfare

Monocle

I honestly think that was the best medieval battle I've ever seen, tv or film. Stripping away the glory and grandeur that movies love to do - the sweeping shots, the majestic charge, etc. - and focusing on the brutal reality of what battle might have looked like - the mountains of corpses, the chaos in the midst of battlefield, the fear, the mud, the suffocating crush of bodies as hundreds panic and flee - elevated this battle above every other. This was the Saving Private Ryan of medieval warfare
Yeah, it was incredibly well done. Those early shots where Jon was surrounded by sheer chaos, soldiers and horses rushing in from every direction... Amazing stuff. Better than Hardhome, for me.

Volimar

Ramsay literally told them about not feeding dogs for a week in that pre battle chat. Sansa was there....

Sansa rode off before he said that, but I'm guessing Jon filled her in on the banter that took place after she left. I don't like that Sansa asked where he was and then it went to the kennel. Sansa was the one who knew how obsessed he was about those hounds. She should have been the one to order him put there.

I honestly think that was the best medieval battle I've ever seen, tv or film. Stripping away the glory and grandeur that movies love to do - the sweeping shots, the majestic charge, etc. - and focusing on the brutal reality of what battle might have looked like - the mountains of corpses, the chaos in the midst of a battlefield, the fear, the mud, the suffocating crush of bodies as hundreds panic and flee - elevated this battle above every other. This was the Saving Private Ryan of medieval warfare

Completely agree, I was blown away by how it was portrayed.
It's one for television history.

Matty77

Simple. Ramsey likes to hurt people. Brutally killing an ally during a moment of peace before death is just mean-spirited and gets under Jon's skin.
Not that I think the scene needs more in depth explanation but even if he killed John he was dead and it was over, and he probably thought pissing Jon off would bring him a quick death and avoid Sansa's revenge which he must have at least thought was coming. As brutal as the beating was if Jon had not seen Sansa he would have died there instead of fed to his own dogs.

Yeah, it was incredibly well done. Those early shots where Jon was surrounded by sheer chaos, soldiers and horses rushing in from every direction... Amazing stuff. Better than Hardhome, for me.
I think they both excelled in their own ways. Hardhome was selling how much a threat the White Walker army was. The unstoppable horde of undead. Those wide shots really made you realize how fucked Westero is.

If they had included a scene with Jon telling Sansa "hey, let's feed him to the dogs, he said he hasn't fed them for 7 days", people would be saying it was unnecessary. Not to mention that it would ruin the surprise.

Seriously though, in my mind that was perfect, hell, the only way to give Ramsay his death.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That long shot was magnificent.

Herne

Yeah the encirclement part of the battle totally made me think of Dan Carlin describing the Battle of Cannae.

It's funny, because Davos strategizing about the battle said that Ramsay would dive for the centre, whereupon their flanks could close in from the sides, therefore somewhat emulating Cannae. Instead it happened to them... sorta.

Elandyll

Banned
F* the haters about Jon.

Sansa keeps telling him to wait, and when asked "for what?" as they asked everybody for help she intentionally hides the possibility of a Vale Knight force arriving.

Since he was resurrected, he is a man in search of a purpose, and who doesn't seem to value his life as much, so rushing to save Rickon, against all hopes, makes sense to him.
And as said many times -There is no winning tactic when you are outnumbered 3 to 1 and facing a cavalry that outnumbers your own at least 5 or 6 to 1.
They also do not get to chose the locale of engagement, so no Guerilla tactic possible, as they are the attackers, so it's a plain open field.

The one tactic they can have is to run the gauntlet as fast as possible, prevent pincer tactics, punch through, and try to kill Ramsey.
Jon's suicide run after Rickon's death is just the logical outcome of these points: he doesn't value his own life after being resurrected and being in a desperate situation, he can't turn back because volleys of arrows, and they need to reach Ramsey asap.
In this case, he at least inspired Davos and Tormund to sound the charge to make his sacrifice worth it (there was very little chance Jon would survive a frontal engagement in 1st line).

What was actually badly written imo, given the situation, was the lack of basic shields (even a wodden plank), and Wun Wun not having a flail or something. A big stick/ tree branch even, and not using kicks during the phalanx move.
These were when the need for a desperate scene overtook basic common sense elements imo.

Yu Narukami

Who has some theories how the season will end? The main plot could happen in Kings Landing with plot twists and of course a cliffhanger. Perhaps a cliffhanger in green color...

Volimar

Who has some theories how the season will end? The main plot could happen in Kings Landing with plot twists and of course a cliffhanger. Perhaps a cliffhanger in green color...

My wishlist:

The sept gets blown up.

White Walkers tear down the Wall.

Arya kills Walder Frey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom