• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Over... psyche! What's the point?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What's with games that give you a game over screen but then let you continue infinitely? It's usually some drawn-out animation and music like it's the most horrible thing in the universe, but then the continue thing pops up and you start just a little ways back from where you were. It's even dumber in games like Mario Sunshine where all it means is that you restart at the overworld instead of the level you were in.

If you have a limited number of continues until it's really game over, or if your continues are counted as a sort of stain on your record at the end then I guess they make sense, but if it's all infinite and uncounted it's just a pointless waste of time and overly dramatic. The only time I think it's sensible is in Resident Evil because it's all part of the horror thing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm on the other side of this, I wish more games allowed you to continue playing so that you could "max out" your stats.

goldenpp72

If its any help, sonic on 360 forces you through minutes of loading times if you lose all your lives, so there is a penalty.. :(

I was thinking this thread was about one of those games where you think you're done but suddenly you have another fight pop up out of nowhere. I think Banjo did this?

anyway, sometimes what you suggest is fun. One of my friends has a Chrono Trigger save with everyone at level 99 and full everything. it's been awhile since I've spoken to him about this, but there is apparently something you can add to the characters, some diamond or something (please correct me here) and they're all maxed out with those as well. He enjoyed it, though.

Doesn't Steel Battalion have a nice system where if you don't eject in time, you will be Game Over'd and your save will be wiped out. :S

Dice

I'm not talking about playing after you finish the story. I'm talking about real game over screens from dying. To continue playing after the story would be "The End... psyche!"

Doesn't Steel Battalion have a nice system where if you don't eject in time, you will be Game Over'd and your save will be wiped out. :S
Not sure, but Capcom is hardcore so probably.

X26

Banned
I don't mind game over screens, but they're so dull...we need more fear effect style game over screens

temp

posting on contract only
bune duggy said:
I was thinking this thread was about one of those games where you think you're done but suddenly you have another fight pop up out of nowhere. I think Banjo did this?
What about Donkey Kong Country.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I thought of Super Mario 64 when I read this thread. The fact that these Mario games are just big ass levels and then a mission with no mid points, there is no reason for lives.

If you die, you gotta start the level again, lose your red coins, lose everything. If you die a certain number of times you go back to the castle grounds... big deal.

I hope Mario Galaxy doesn't have lives, and if it does, actually gives them a reson.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
blame space said:

It depends on the type of game, I'll give you some examples. My examples will be racing games cause that's the genre I spend most of my time in these days. The TXR/Shutokou Highway Battle games have a storyline, and they all end when you beat the boss(the storyline ends), but you can continue to play the game because there are a shitload of optional wanderer cars you can challenge. On the other spectrum take game like NFS Carbon. It ends when you beat Darius, and of course Most Wanted ends when you do the final chase... but I usually have a shitload of cash at the end of these games and I'd love to see some type of random course generator that allows me to do more races, continue to spend my money on new char purchases and mods, etc.

Dice said:
I'm not talking about playing after you finish the story. I'm talking about real game over screens from dying. To continue playing after the story would be "The End... psyche!"

Whoops, my bad.

Alts

From the thread title, I thought this would be about RPG battles that are "impossible," and that you have to lose to keep playing. It happens in Disgaea quite often. In fact, I got a game over for winning one of those battles...

Dice

X26 said:
I don't mind game over screens, but they're so dull...we need more fear effect style game over screens
:lol I just thought of more interesting game over sequences. Like in an RPG you challenge a massive boss with your little rag-tag group of people but then he kills you all with a super attack and goes "That's right, beeatch! I'm the king of the WOOORRLD!" and then it fades out to a screen that says "You were beasted." and then the continue option.

Alts said:
From the thread title, I thought this would be about RPG battles that are "impossible," and that you have to lose to keep playing. It happens in Disgaea quite often. In fact, I got a game over for winning one of those battles...
Oh man, I hate those if I don't know it's such a thing because I'm usually overprepared and waste so much stuff that costs so much game-currency. Damn you, Beatrix...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
flipping_heck said:

I think that's right... been a while since I played SB though.

Sounds as though im right with Steel Battalion: (From wiki)

The Steel Battalion controller allows for increased immersion in the game, coming closer to the experience of actually piloting a giant robot. At the beginning of every mission, the player must 'start up' the machine and operating system; this is handled through a series of switches and buttons dedicated to this purpose. If the player does not eject when prompted, the player's in game character will die, and all saved data will be lost, causing the player to start over. If a corner is turned too fast, the machine will tumble over. If the player's machine overheats, its operating system must be reset. The game even simulates window wipers in case of muck hitting the monitor.

ouch, i don't know how tough the game is, but that is one hell of a great way to deal with those gamers who thinks everything is too easy.

Jado

Banned
I remember the first time I saw a Game Over screen after winning a game. I was baffled for a moment until I realized, yeah I didn't lose but the game is over.

SB requires you to eject otherwise I think you have to and do the whole campaign you got to again, still harsh but I don't think its a total file wipe/reset.

Nemesis_

It's a cruel and horrible method, during which the game over animation is playing you realise OH SHIT I HAVENT SAVED SINCE 10 HOURS AGO! And then you truly do die a little inside. =(

ngarcont.gif

So basically you don't believe in Game Over screens with lenient penalties or are just bothered by dramatic Game Over screens that don't really mean anything? I guess I would agree with stricter GO penalties, but as with the DMC nod, there's a fine line to walk.

With Twilight Princess, the penalty for losing all hearts is you start basically at the beginning of the same room or area. Sometimes you may have to move forward with the 3 from the continue, but otherwise there are no other penalties to my knowledge. Didn't older Zeldas have Link restarting at the beginning of the dungeons?

At the same time I'm playing Sonic 1 which I never owned and I can't even get past Marble Zone :(

tnw

Banned
I think it's just a remanant from arcade games, where it was game over, unless you put another coin in the slot to keep playing.

Rlan

Yoshi's Island DS should have removed lives altogether, and just allow you to continue. I had 200 lives by World 4, but World 4 and 5 are so rediculously difficult you'll use them all up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i like that harder games will not restart you from the absolute beginning of a level. especially story-intensive games -- i've seen the story already, i've fought all the enemies/battles through the placed i've had to to get to that point, i dont want to play it again if i accidentally die

i think that's a really big reason why i stopped playing so many of my RPGs at certain times and go back to them months later.

Senretsu

Game over is an archaic term from an era where video games were primarily Arcade games, where your game really was over unless you put more money in the machine.

Continue might be more of an appropriate term nowdays.

fernoca

I don't mind..I liked the concept of Prey..

I do find funny, how soem pcompanies..like find ways to tell you ...YOU SUCK!!!
Like you're killed...bam!! YOU FAILED!!!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol.. this makes me think of FFIII... was playing that on the DS.. having a good time. get to the second town (only 30 minutes in or so) and there is a cave right outside of the second town. I wander in and (surprise) hit a random battle (in like three steps). bunch of skeletons. No problem, I attack. They hit me for 75% of my health. OH SHIT! Second round I try running. Failed. Remainder of the second was spent bleeding out on the ground.

The joke of this post is that I never got a game over screen. It just kicked me out to the title. Ain't no school like the old school.

You've got to love getting a game over in Zelda:TP. You don't even start at the beginning of the dungeon. Just the room that you're in.

fugimax

RPGs are really the only games that kick you in the nuts when you mess up. Final Fantasy is infamous for letting you play for 45 minutes then kicking your ass, promptly kicking you back to the title screen once you die.

Such a bad feeling. :(

Adagio

civilstrife said:
You've got to love getting a game over in Zelda:TP. You don't even start at the beginning of the dungeon. Just the room that you're in.
You're kidding... :lol

That's wack.

Brannon

At the same time I'm playing Sonic 1 which I never owned and I can't even get past Marble Zone :(

Okay I'm taking your gamer license. You can get it back by participating in the SpikeTV thread...

Oh yeah.

I went there.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
What I hate is at the end of an RPG they throw out a boss and you're like "I can finally use this SUPER-MEGA-POTION I've been saving for the whole freaking game!" And then you barely beat that supposed end-boss, only to discover that there is one more enemy to beat, and he kicks your ass, and you're out of SUPER MEGA POTIONS! Not to mention we've never even seen this ****er until the last 2 minutes of the ****ing game. WTF is up with that shit?!

Hylian

Dice said:
What's with games that give you a game over screen but then let you continue infinitely? It's usually some drawn-out animation and music like it's the most horrible thing in the universe, but then the continue thing pops up and you start just a little ways back from where you were. It's even dumber in games like Mario Sunshine where all it means is that you restart at the overworld instead of the level you were in.

If you have a limited number of continues until it's really game over, or if your continues are counted as a sort of stain on your record at the end then I guess they make sense, but if it's all infinite and uncounted it's just a pointless waste of time and overly dramatic. The only time I think it's sensible is in Resident Evil because it's all part of the horror thing.

Game over is a myth, Try again.

Reilly

MGS is horrible at this.

When you die, you return to the entrence of the area you died in.

Too easy Kojima!

Flynn

I do find funny, how soem pcompanies..like find ways to tell you ...YOU SUCK!!!
Like you're killed...bam!! YOU FAILED!!!

That extreme phase that games went through in the '90s was hilarious.

Games pretty much called you retarded when you fell into the water or fell off your skateboard or whatever. And they always did it in pseudo teenager speak: "Your Mom's A Douche!" "Try Again, Dillhole!"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If you don't suck, you don't see the game over screen. Mario Sunshine's gameover screen is like a slap in the face. Its so easy to get lives that its ridiculous.

I do think game over screens need updating. A style change is in order.

Top Bottom