• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass is at 23m subs as of April 20th 2021

Dang that's pretty good. Stuff like Outriders, MLB, solid library of sports titles (via EA Play) etc. are starting to add up. If they can net some of these other rumored things like U-Play, EA Sports releases day-and-date (or at least FIFA Day 1 on the service), BattleField 6 etc. they should probably reach 30 million by the end of the year.

It explains why Sony might be keen on preventing Day 1 releases from third parties, as such growth with more third party day 1 releases will make it even more attractive.
But Sony is just delaying the inevitable.

It'll probably come to a point where publishers will simply not pursue timed exclusivity or co-marketing deals, or where the price for doing them goes up so much that it won't be worth it for Sony to pursue them as much going forward.

This is essentially a new generation insofar as the consoles themselves, but things like subscription services are truly cross-generational. Basically that makes it harder for Sony to leverage install base for units but easier for Microsoft to leverage subscription service numbers as its own type of install base.

So, it'll be interesting to see how this all starts to really shape out over the next few years.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Congrats MS! 🥳

doing my part GIF

This forum puzzles me sometimes.

"Gamepass will be the death of gaming and is pushing a soulless subscription model that will degrade quality industry wide"
"Yes yes indeed. Agreed."
*also this sub*
*gamepass got more subs*
"YAAAAAAY WOOOOO GO MICROSOFT! YESSSS GAMEPASS!!"
:messenger_confused:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's up by 11 million since September when they had 12 million subs.

They had 18 million 3 months ago.

Thats a lot of revenue if they are all $10 subs. 10*22 = $220 million. They can easily buy RE8 with that every month.

Chukhopops

"Gamepass will be the death of gaming and is pushing a soulless subscription model that will degrade quality industry wide"
*also this sub*
*gamepass got more subs*
Different opinions on a forum is a normal thing though?

Also if it’s confirmed that’s 5 million in 3 months, which is a net increase of 5M USD per month for MS, impressive!

Different opinions on a forum is a normal thing though?

Also if it’s confirmed that’s 5 million in 3 months, which is a net increase of 5M USD per month for MS, impressive!
I knew I'd get the "different opinions" rhetoric as soon as I posted. I get differing views but it seems like the whole consensus just blows with the wind based off the news of the day. Maybe it's just me.

modiz

I want to see the attach rate for new Series customers. I guess it's above 80% easily. Abc why would you not subscribe as an Xbox customer? It's insane value for customers and the message will trickle down to the average Joe quicker than many want to admit.
I guess the growth is also limited because there is not enough hardware made by Microsoft to meet demands.
I wonder how much they will have end of year, is 30 million even possible?

SLB1904

Banned
It feels like 90% of this forum right now is discussions on "rumors" and other made up news. Why are we so obsessed about debating topics where the very premise is the figment of someone's imagination? Especially when the actual news is coming so shortly.
exactly. people aren't even checking sources anymore. but because we have to win console war on forums people are just making shit up, and getting clout. these 2 are attention seekers and they get.

Mmnow

It'll probably come to a point where publishers will simply not pursue timed exclusivity or co-marketing deals, or where the price for doing them goes up so much that it won't be worth it for Sony to pursue them as much going forward.
This is going to really come to a head at the start of next generation if Sony don't have their own subscription in order by then.

Ps6: 1m users.
Game Pass: 100m+, regardless of platform.

I get people hate change, but sticking to the old way of doing things and only the old way of doing things would be extremely foolish.

So 30+mil by end of the year
35-40 if these numbers are accurate and they continue to snowball. That's 10m more than I would've predicted an hour ago, if I'm honest.

*also this sub*
*gamepass got more subs*
It's not a hive mind. Some people like the service, others don't.
I want to see the attach rate for new Series customers. I guess it's above 80% easily. Abc why would you not subscribe as an Xbox customer? It's insane value for customers and the message will trickle down to the average Joe quicker than many want to admit.
I guess the growth is also limited because there is not enough hardware made by Microsoft to meet demands.
I wonder how much they will have end of year, is 30 million even possible?
Think it was 70 per cent at launch.

Growth is limited on console, but don't forget there's PC and mobile now. The latter will be slow going, but it opens up to a new audience.
exactly. people aren't even checking sources anymore. but because we have to win console war on forums people are just making shit up, and getting clout. these 2 are attention seekers and they get.
It's marked as rumour. When you start shutting down conversations like this, you'll soon find you don't have very much left to talk about.

MiguelItUp

They're offering an optional service for those that want to partake in modern gaming without shelling out cash for every title they're interested in. It makes sense.

Is it for everyone? Like everything, no, it's not. But options are always a great thing, and I think that's why we're seeing Game Pass be so successful. It's also something for cloud, PC, and Xbox players. Again, options.

It also helps that newer titles will be launching on it as well. Because there are a lot of folks out there working minimum wages gigs and a single $1 -> $15 monthly fee is MUCH more tolerable than the occasional $20, $30, $40, $50, and $60 price.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It's marked as rumour. When you start shutting down conversations like this, you'll soon find you don't have very much left to talk about.
good point sir.
i feel like because lately every rumour is treated as a fact, look at the post above yours, and people just run with it.

modiz

Think it was 70 per cent at launch.

Growth is limited on console, but don't forget there's PC and mobile now. The latter will be slow going, but it opens up to a new audience.
I don't see many mobile only subs right now, to be honest. They will come with xcloud eventually, for sure, though.
PC I guess is not too bad but the MS store is still riddled with bugs and Steam is the go-to store still.
I guess console is still the main driver for subs so it's important to make as much consoles as possible, at least for the time being, to grow the subs.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well if these are concurrent active subscribers and not just cummulative, and not just a rumor, then I'm sure Microsoft will have no problem in shouting it from the rooftops. I also want to know how many are new to Xbox, and how many are just converted.

At 10$ a month, with 23 million subscribers, wouldn't this catapult Xbox into the top of the pile in terms of revenue?

Just sayin

Last edited:
Top Bottom