• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass needs to be more aggressive

Skyn3t

Banned
So I'm a subscriber from the beginning of the service and it's great. I'm all in when it comes to subscription models/digital for media of all sorts. The thing is that Microsoft has to be more aggressive with new games added to Game Pass. Like recently we got Wolfenstein: The New Order, great game no doubts about it, but it's old, we should get The New Colossus instead. More newer third party AAA titels in the catalogue and we could have a real gamechanger for Redmond in the video game market. Not now, not tomorrow, but in the near future, with a great foundation for next-gen Xbox.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Doesn't it include every brand new Microsoft exclusive? That's pretty aggressive, even if a lot of them are shit. Definitely couldn't see Sony offering people the chance to play God of War for a month for ten bucks (though they really wouldn't need to). It's an insane deal to play the new Forza.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A lot of the reason behind why Microsoft was even able to put Wolfenstein: The New Order on Game Pass was because Bethesda was hoping it would increase brand awareness and lead to you buying The New Colossus. That's why a lot of the games on the service are the first, or first several (think: Darksiders) in a series.

Also as AV AV pointed out, they're putting all the first party stuff directly on the service without showing indication that they will ever be removed from the rotation. As you said, this doesn't have to be now or tomorrow, so in 5 years there will be several years worth of new titles. That's pretty compelling and agressive.

Last edited:

Three

That would cost money. They are already aggressive enough including all their first party stuff but for third party they would have to pay for plays. MS are paying the publishers to include these games there and it's kind of why their games with gold has been so bad since game pass. If they pay for something good it makes more sense to include it in game pass so people pay extra than to include it with GWG and if it's too good for game pass they would pay for each play. They would much rather you play the first party content then buy the newer third party ones.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think the aggression will be 10 fold once they get these studios they bought going. Until then, I think they've done great job getting some older Bethesda and Ubisoft titles to opt in to this service.

You pay $120 a year and sea of thieves, state of decay 2 and forza horizon 4 just made your investment worth it. Oh and by the way...go try the other 100+ games as a bonus for being a member. Master Chief Collection alone is worth the price (now that it's fixed) Halo 1 thru 4 and multiplayer? Oh Halo 5, ALL THE GEARS games. Forza 7.

Dude, I'm rambling but everytime I think of one game, it reminds me of a shit-ton of other games that make it worth it.

Just go enjoy it man. The service has insanely good value.

Allandor

The current value is quite high, but they aren't really promoting it, at least here in Germany.
Yes, I can the "spam"-mail from MS for the gamepass, but never seen TV spots or whatever for this. How should the community grow if only xbox owner know that this is a thing.

Like always it seems MS does not care about the rest of the non-english World.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
But always be better, don't mind it being pricier too. Newer and better third-party AAA games and kaboom, it could explode. Not to mention that they should offer some kind of Gold + Pass sub.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That I can agree with. If they make it like a premium game pass and you get access to third party games. I mean I don't know what would be a good price point, but I'd be willing to pay 15 bucks a month instead of 10.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But always be better, don't mind it being pricier too. Newer and better third-party AAA games and kaboom, it could explode. Not to mention that they should offer some kind of Gold + Pass sub.

Price vs provided content is always going to be a balancing act for them. Unless your talking about tiered pricing but I feel like that would be a disaster and would tarnish the perceived value of the lower tier option or options.

Having a combined Gold + Game Pass subscription is something I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen yet, but I can also see why they wouldn't want to muddy the waters (see above). It would also be a concept that might be difficult to communicate if you were to combine the two services features together - "Play over 100 games, two of which are yours to keep forever and two more that will always stay in your library as long as you're a subscriber"? Would probably make more sense to just have a discount on gold (since it's the cheaper service) if you're a game pass subscriber.

Skyn3t

Banned
I would gladly pay 50-60 bucks a month to have a possibility to play anything released on the Xbox. The questions are, if the profits would satisfy third-party publishers and how many people are willing to pay that much.

Toe-Knee

They should do what Sony do with now. Make it so you don't need the live to play games on the service online

kaczmar

Personally, I think they need to add a lot more titles. There just isn't enough games across a single category that I'm interested in playing.

I also think they if would bundle online multiplayer with the service, then it would be more compelling. Paying $10 per month plus a LIVE subscription really doesn't interest me. I'm betting I'm not alone.

Have You gave it a though how gaming would look like if everything was available in the game pass ?

When everything is "free" then the main area of competition becomes on who can get more money from DLC and microtransactions - if you need reference take a look at Android Play Store where everything is free and what kind of games dominate there.

Also You might take a good look at Netflix and ask yourself how much control as consumer you will have over what games are produced in the future when your only choice is cancelling whole subscription.

Remember if service was attractive it would become dominant over people buying soft so You can't look at current market and think you would be getting exactly same types of products that are made today.

They do need more titles, but it's also up to the publishers. I'm sure it's not been easy for Microsoft to negotiate the terms by which every single title that ends up in Game Pass. Another reason Microsoft is building up 1st party content - to have more games in GP that they don't have t negotiate for or worry it might be pulled. The last thing we need are more EA Access bs. Can you imagine if Rock* decides to make their own service? It'll be chaos, anarchy!

Personally, I think they need to add a lot more titles. There just isn't enough games across a single category that I'm interested in playing.

I also think they if would bundle online multiplayer with the service, then it would be more compelling. Paying $10 per month plus a LIVE subscription really doesn't interest me. I'm betting I'm not alone.

Microsoft gets $1.8 billion a year from XBox Live Gold(30 million subs * $60). They are not about to give that up!

Skyn3t

Banned
They don't have to, let them just introduce a premium sub combining XL and Game Pass in a reasonable price.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wonder if MS are willing to spend what's needed. it won't be cheap to convince publishers to put a game into Game Pass...especially a brand new AAA title.

look at EA origin. their premium subscription really only consists of EA published games. i really can't see Microsoft parting with the money to bring non-MS titles to a premium subscription.

Last edited:
i wonder if MS are willing to spend what's needed. it won't be cheaper to convince publishers to put a game into Game Pass...especially a brand new AAA title.

Sony has not been shy to secure 3rd party exclusives or timed. See Spiderman, Detroit: Becomes Human. Or RDR2 they get exclusive marketing rights. Microsoft has to be willing to do everything it takes to get content advantages so when their new XBox Scarlett & Project xCloud hits they can have real momentum.

They don't have to, let them just introduce a premium sub combining XL and Game Pass in a reasonable price.

I think the issue is not everything in Game Pass needs features of XLGold(multiplayer, cloud saves, achievements) and they don't want to muddy the waters on that yet.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sony has not been shy to secure 3rd party exclusives or timed. See Spiderman, Detroit: Becomes Human. Or RDR2 they get exclusive marketing rights. Microsoft has to be willing to do everything it takes to get content advantages so when their new XBox Scarlett & Project xCloud hits they can have real momentum.
of course they do but that's a totally different situation.

sony are only asking to market the game towards their fanbase which could be a huge deal for a lot of publishers since Playstation is the best selling platform this generation.

they aren't saying "hey, we'll pay you $X,xxx,xxx if you let us give our players your game. In return you'll get a % of what we make from the subscription instead of a solid $60 per sale."

Last edited:
Yeah but remember if Project xCloud is everything Microsoft claims it to be, that means they could reach potentially 4 billion iOS & Android devices. Makes Sony's 80+ million install base look trivial.

Iced Arcade

game pass is already pretty great in it's early life. only issue is that most people bought/paid/played a lot of the big titles on it already before game pass became a thing.

I got a years worth (on sale) for less than the price of a new game, got to play a couple 1st party games with it that I would have normally paid full price for (also played a few games that I normally wouldn't buy). well worth it IMO

Last edited:
Game Pass is still pretty new. Remember at first it was kinda crap in terms of AAA 3rd party titles. Now that's gotten a lot better and the 1st party is better too. At some point Microsoft will announce Game Pass is 200+titles, maybe even as soon as XO18.

Zewp

The current value is quite high, but they aren't really promoting it, at least here in Germany.
Yes, I can the "spam"-mail from MS for the gamepass, but never seen TV spots or whatever for this. How should the community grow if only xbox owner know that this is a thing.

Like always it seems MS does not care about the rest of the non-english World.

Advertising is probably limited because Xbox simply isn't big in the EU. That's why places like Saturn dedicated two tiny racks to Xbone and half the gaming section to PS4.

I went to check Saturn in Alexanderplatz for Xbox One X RDR2 bundles this week and there weren't even any X's on the floor aside from the display model.

That said, I've seen Game Pass ads on Facebook a few times, usually with comments about it being good value. Those are targeted ads, though.

The Alien

Banned
Believe game pass is now over 200 games to choose. And they add big name 3rd party game. It's a great deal.

Been loving Forza Horizon, but also excited to try Crackdown (no loss for only $10)!.

kaczmar

Microsoft gets $1.8 billion a year from XBox Live Gold(30 million subs * $60). They are not about to give that up!

They make a pretty penny no doubt but they are going to have to do something. When Game Pass comes to PC, there won't a LIVE subscription attached to it.

I hear you OP but that would drive up cost. $10 monthly is perfect. I got 2 years for $120 when they had 6 months for $30 a while back.

Plus there’s some good indie games I would’ve never played if not for Gamepass. Can’t wait till these new studios get going.

12Dannu123

They make a pretty penny no doubt but they are going to have to do something. When Game Pass comes to PC, there won't a LIVE subscription attached to it.

There likely will have a Live subscription attached, however the cost will likely be combined with, XBL and XCloud.

Doesn't it include every brand new Microsoft exclusive? That's pretty aggressive, even if a lot of them are shit. Definitely couldn't see Sony offering people the chance to play God of War for a month for ten bucks (though they really wouldn't need to). It's an insane deal to play the new Forza.

Those are very few and far between. Game Pass is great, but it can be even greater and then Microsoft would force Sony's hand to provide something similar on PS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So I'm a subscriber from the beginning of the service and it's great. I'm all in when it comes to subscription models/digital for media of all sorts. The thing is that Microsoft has to be more aggressive with new games added to Game Pass. Like recently we got Wolfenstein: The New Order, great game no doubts about it, but it's old, we should get The New Colossus instead. More newer third party AAA titels in the catalogue and we could have a real gamechanger for Redmond in the video game market. Not now, not tomorrow, but in the near future, with a great foundation for next-gen Xbox.
Costs money.

I'm sure R* would allow RDR2 to be on GP too if MS gave them $1 billion dollars. but not going to happen.

cdthree

Yeah it does need the newer AAA third party stuff sooner. Not sure what Microsoft could offer the publishers to have it on their systems in 4-6 months, though. The only things I could see would be co-op advertising and hosting the game on Azure for pennies on the dollar, then after the embargo it comes to gamepass in 4-6 months. Microsoft could host a package of games from Rockstar even though it launches on every console to secure that one blockbuster game every few years. Your GTA V, RDR 2, etc. Securing one or both games in a generation is the ultimate killer app. Worse case you are covering the cost of Azure and propping up the utilization numbers. Kind of like when FOX first picked up the NFL in the 90's and the became legitimate overnight.

VAL0R

Banned
They will ramp up the aggression (see the recent studio acquisitions), but even now it's the most aggressive and value rich subscription service in gaming history. I'm not complaining.

Costs money.

I'm sure R* would allow RDR2 to be on GP too if MS gave them $1 billion dollars. but not going to happen.

R* can be greedy bastards right now, and if they're demanding that much from Microsoft for RDR2, than f them. This is why you can't be so beholden to 3rd party like Microsoft have been. 1st party, 2nd party or bust.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Costs money.

$1 billion dollars!?? Considering that it supposedly made $750 million the first weekend, it would take more than a billion to get that on pass.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
R* can be greedy bastards right now, and if they're demanding that much from Microsoft for RDR2, than f them. This is why you can't be so beholden to 3rd party like Microsoft have been. 1st party, 2nd party or bust.
Why are they greedy? Because they dare made a game that you have to pay for? $1 billion would be the kind of money needed to get the conversation started considering the game made $700 million in its first week.

YayNJ

Banned

Forza Horizon 4 just dropped, the same month you cherry picked Wolfenstien and you want it to be more aggressive? It's perfectly fine how it is. As long as they keep releasing a good steady stream of games, it's almost perfect IMO. Just for the MS exclusives alone it's been value for money.

I think the aggression will be 10 fold once they get these studios they bought going. Until then, I think they've done great job getting some older Bethesda and Ubisoft titles to opt in to this service.

You pay $120 a year and sea of thieves, state of decay 2 and forza horizon 4 just made your investment worth it. Oh and by the way...go try the other 100+ games as a bonus for being a member. Master Chief Collection alone is worth the price (now that it's fixed) Halo 1 thru 4 and multiplayer? Oh Halo 5, ALL THE GEARS games. Forza 7.

Dude, I'm rambling but everytime I think of one game, it reminds me of a shit-ton of other games that make it worth it.

Just go enjoy it man. The service has insanely good value.
Sea of Thieves is pretty mediocre and has little content.

cryptoadam

Banned
Thats really on 3rd parties.

MS is lucky for now they have any 3rd parties. Eventually these guys are going to figure out they don't need to use MS to host their games.

Top Bottom