• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass users: Do you buy the games afterwards to support the devs?

Game Pass users: Do you buy games afterwards to support the devs?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 9.3%
  • No!

Votes: 67 29.8%
  • Wtf that's a waste of money!?

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • Only if it leaves the service

Votes: 38 16.9%

• Total voters

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Look at those survey results 🤦‍♂️

And people tried to tell me that gamepass isn't bad for gaming. It clearly changes spending habits for the worse

Norse

Look at those survey results 🤦‍♂️

And people tried to tell me that gamepass isn't bad for gaming. It clearly changes spending habits for the worse

How many in the survey actually have gamepass? The numbers are bs. You guys are diehard gamers yet you don't buy gamepass games to add to your collection? Yeah right.

Especially Indy games that are 100% digital that you try on gamepass and like. You buy them if you really like them. Saying you don't is fanboy bullshit.

Hobbygaming

How many in the survey actually have gamepass? The numbers are bs. You guys are diehard gamers yet you don't buy gamepass games to add to your collection? Yeah right.

Especially Indy games that are 100% digital that you try on gamepass and like. You buy them if you really like them. Saying you don't is fanboy bullshit.
I don't think it is. The reality is that if you let most people today, beat a game for $2 they're less likely to buy said game for more money after they've already finished it

I don't support that kind of service future

Physical gaming is where it's at 👍

Pantz

I like to support games on Xbox with the balls to have sexy or nudity content.
Which so far, has not been that expensive to do since there are hardly any.
If there are some like that on Game Pass I would probably would have already pre-ordered them from the start.

The rest I would buy if they left the service but for the ones on here I'm already paying for them with the subscription. If they want more money, they know what they have to do.

LOLCats

Banned
Does the forza horizon series count? Then yes i buy those.

Otherwise my vote is wtf, why waste money.

i used MS rewards money to buy Horizon 4 ultimate when it was on sale, and will probably do the same for the next one

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Why would I? You signed a deal that gives you X amount of money for my download and playtime, if you wanted more money then don't cannibalize your sells by putting it on Gamepass day one. It's the same reason you'll never see certain movies on Netflix or Hulu.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't believe I have, as of yet. However, Game Pass serves as a good way to advertise a game, especially after peak release sales start to drop, or before a new game in the series is about to release. There's a number of cool niche/indie games, and games outside my norm that I've tried, and if I saw those on sale for Steam or GoG I'd be inclined to buy them. I know that worked on my brother, who played The Division on Game Pass right before Div2 dropped. He liked it so much he bought himself and me copies and we played together for 100s of hours. That's money they would have never seen without Game Pass.

Paasei

GamePass is a good way to try games you otherwise wouldn't even consider playing. At least, for me.

I don't end up buying the ones I really enjoyed, though. I replay my games quite often, but for as long as they are available, I don't see the need to buy them.

ruvikx

Banned
I ask myself whether people used to run around the internet telling people to "buy new games to support the devs!" back when used game sales were massive in the ps1/ps2/ps3/360 era? i.e. compared to those days when devs got diddly-squat, at least gamepass gives them revenue. I'd also find it beyond hypocritical if the people shouting loudest about gamepass in 2020 have themselves ever borrowed game from a friend or bought a used copy.

From my chair here most of the complaints aimed at gamepass are just console warrior trash. My own "only" complaint so far is I'd like a little more transparency with regards to how long a game will be on the service before it's removed, because a 2 week "departing soon" notice isn't enough when we're talking about massive RPG's which take a long time to play & finish.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Why are the numbers bs? It actually makes a lot of sense. It's a digital rental service. I'm never paying big amounts to buy a digital game. But I do definitely buy them physical because I can keep them forever.

Rockondevil

If a game I really like that I haven't finished leaves I'll likely get it. Generally though no I won't buy it as I'll likely finish it before it leaves.

back in my day, I would try to beat the game in 7 days before returning it to blockbuster. I did NOT buy the game afterwards.

We can still do that in Aus with EB Games. You get 7 day no questions asked return policy (10 days if you get to a higher tier on their rewards system.)
I will admit to using it at least a few times.

Last edited:

manfestival

If a game I really like that I haven't finished leaves I'll likely get it. Generally though no I won't buy it as I'll likely finish it before it leaves.

We can still do that in Aus with EB Games. You get 7 day no questions asked return policy (10 days if you get to a higher tier on their rewards system.)
I will admit to using it at least a few times.
I do get what you are getting but there is a difference between exploiting a return policy and ultimately paying nothing and renting a game from a place that rents things out to people. Though I do once again get what you are saying. Blockbuster in the US was a video and game rental location. We still have EB games here too and I know people that do that same thing here in the US with their return policy.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
I know people who subscribed to GamePass and don't buy games anymore. Gamepass is gonna kille the whole gaming industry, if it's not killed before.
Gamepass makes my whole day, but PS Now makes my whole week.

If devs dont know they hold ALL, and i mean ALL, the cards in this 'games as a service' model, its their own fault. They should be asking for up front $$$, and then for EVERY DL a 30-50% of the sale price. If they dont get it walk, they have nothing without them.

Antwix

If devs dont know they hold ALL, and i mean ALL, the cards in this 'games as a service' model, its their own fault. They should be asking for up front $$$, and then for EVERY DL a 30-50% of the sale price. If they dont get it walk, they have nothing without them.
Agreed. This comes to mind everytime one of these "subscriptions are killing games/earnings" types of threads pops up. It's not like these companies have a gun to their head forcing them into something like Game Pass.

I don't understand the video game industry. Supporting devs? Pre-purchasing games? This weirdness doesn't happen in any other industry as far as I know, except for unique situations like reserving a Tesla or something. Why do people "feel sorry" for devs for not earning enough? It's the same as in pretty much every other industry; provide a good product or get shit on.

pr0cs

this is one of gamepass concern...devs still need to sell their game to cover cost and gain profit
How much are they making by being on gamepass, is Microsoft paying them to put titles on the service?
If devs aren't making money why would they do it, is Microsoft threatening them with violence or something?

Kumomeme

How much are they making by being on gamepass, is Microsoft paying them to put titles on the service?
If devs aren't making money why would they do it, is Microsoft threatening them with violence or something?
hey calm down..no need to be on edge

making money or not is not the issue here as they definitely make money from it..but the amount or how much is the question..for smaller devs, maybe they happy with lumpsum payment from ms, but for bigger devs, bigger AAA is different story..with years development period and nowdays AAA game scale and budget, money is most important resources for manpower, time and quality. The amount ms would pay them is the question and for the developers, how much it will be enough for long run. There is long term concern from developers is not without reason. They might end up getting less than before. Running studio and making game especially AAA is not cheap. There even concern of quality will be affected and also there is concern of devs end up getting less payment.

Unlike movie and music, they still had other platform other than subscription service like cinema, concert etc. But for videogame is different.

I fine with game pass, i believe it would not replace current model, serve as another option as how bluray disc still existed despite there is services like netflix is around but given how the poll result here, i am not suprise if developers need resort to in-game microtransaction, dlc and stuff to cover up cost instead. Heck, i'm not suprise if ms itself will end up increase the services price subsciption later in future.

look at vote result here...indeed game pass is an option....devs can still sell their game but what will be happened if this poll actually reflected mass decision out there?.

-27.7% saying "No!" while 46.1% saying "Wtf that's a waste of money!? "

for consumers, the model is great as they no need to pay much to play game but for developers they need money to make game.
What happened, in long run majority people end up didnt bother to buy game anymore..lot of percent thinking buying game is waste of money... less, less people willingly to pay full price for a game even just to support developers. What happened if number of people buying game/game sales is reduced?

this is the concern... i like the services but i worry for developers..its heartbreaking to hear "Wtf that's a waste of money!?" from gamers. Its heartbreaking to hear that in possible future, buying game is considered a waste.

but we will see..probably the services still new and there lot of things need to be ironed out.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Its heartbreaking
You're looking at it purely as a negative.
For many devs this is a benefit.
Gamepass is an avenue to a gigantic instant audience to play their game.
Would they have anywhere as much exposure if they simply released their game as they have in the past? They don't need to advertise anymore, they can put that money towards development instead.
And we still don't have any idea what kind of money they're actually making either. Gamepass by all rumors means a steady trickle of money.

Kumomeme

You're looking at it purely as a negative.
For many devs this is a benefit.
Gamepass is an avenue to a gigantic instant audience to play their game.
Would they have anywhere as much exposure if they simply released their game as they have in the past? They don't need to advertise anymore, they can put that money towards development instead.
And we still don't have any idea what kind of money they're actually making either. Gamepass by all rumors means a steady trickle of money.
really? are you serious? bruh many devs out there express their concern. Fact.

also, having a concern is not necessary mean looking things negatively

i just want developers to be in best condition to keep making amazing games and as hoping developers didnt 'suffer' much when making game..they already sacrifice arm and limb to release a game, crunch like crazy and some place didnt even pay for it. It is wrong to be worry?

are you joking? are you seriously implying they never had much exposure before, all these time?
and why you thinking gamepass/ms will handle advertisement? their game will be bundled with others developers game together though. I dont know how you can come to conclusion that with game pass developers no need to do advertisement anymore?. Is publisher's marketing team is a joke to you?

c'mon man...are you saying there those marketing guy deparment are unneeded in future? poor guys..what a future
Unless ms owned those developers, why on earth ms will handle others company promotion/advertisement? see how much Rockstar pour money to their game, to make sure their product will sell like massive hot cake...why on earth other publisher will let ms handle their game advertisement? Did it will guarantee better result? and on what percentage that ms will give fair attention to all game? basically saying ms will 'control' how these game will fare? a future where platform maker control game maker? didnt look bright future to me.

dude...everything had pro and cons...people worry because they care.

Last edited:

Norse

Why are the numbers bs? It actually makes a lot of sense. It's a digital rental service. I'm never paying big amounts to buy a digital game. But I do definitely buy them physical because I can keep them forever.
They're bs because not everyone that voted has gamepass......or an Xbox. Numbers are skewed.

I too wait for games to go on sale. But Indy games are usually cheap from the start and not usually available physically. Plus nowadays physical games pretty much require a huge day 1 patch so who knows if that physical copy is even complete enough to finish.

nikolino840

hey calm down..no need to be on edge

making money or not is not the issue here as they definitely make money from it..but the amount or how much is the question..for smaller devs, maybe they happy with lumpsum payment from ms, but for bigger devs, bigger AAA is different story..with years development period and nowdays AAA game scale and budget, money is most important resources for manpower, time and quality. The amount ms would pay them is the question and for the developers, how much it will be enough for long run. There is long term concern from developers is not without reason. They might end up getting less than before. Running studio and making game especially AAA is not cheap. There even concern of quality will be affected and also there is concern of devs end up getting less payment.

Unlike movie and music, they still had other platform other than subscription service like cinema, concert etc. But for videogame is different.

I fine with game pass, i believe it would not replace current model, serve as another option as how bluray disc still existed despite there is services like netflix is around but given how the poll result here, i am not suprise if developers need resort to in-game microtransaction, dlc and stuff to cover up cost instead. Heck, i'm not suprise if ms itself will end up increase the services price subsciption later in future.

look at vote result here...indeed game pass is an option....devs can still sell their game but what will be happened if this poll actually reflected mass decision out there?.

-27.7% saying "No!" while 46.1% saying "Wtf that's a waste of money!? "

for consumers, the model is great as they no need to pay much to play game but for developers they need money to make game.
What happened, in long run majority people end up didnt bother to buy game anymore..lot of percent thinking buying game is waste of money... less, less people willingly to pay full price for a game even just to support developers. What happened if number of people buying game/game sales is reduced?

this is the concern... i like the services but i worry for developers..its heartbreaking to hear "Wtf that's a waste of money!?" from gamers. Its heartbreaking to hear that in possible future, buying game is considered a waste.

but we will see..probably the services still new and there lot of things need to be ironed out.
If they agree to put the game what's the problem? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't feel guilty for devs decisions...
Even remedy have put control on a subscription service...

Kumomeme

If they agree to put the game what's the problem? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't feel guilty for devs decisions...
Even remedy have put control on a subscription service...

so agree=problem solve

yeahh if its that simple.....one of advantages for subscription service is it made game more 'reachable' to wider audience...thats one of main advantages but on other hand, there another concern like i stated above. Devs had long term concern is not without reason

so are you saying " i dont care for devs, as long i not wasted my money?" this is the heartbreaking part here.
put thats aside,whats 'guilty' had anything to do here? there had nothing to do with conscience....it just about pro and cons of a bussiness model and how people view on it, how it might affected gaming landscape, the good and the bad.

nikolino840

so agree=problem solve

yeahh if its that simple.....one of advantages for subscription service is it made game more 'reachable' to wider audience...thats one of main advantages but on other hand, there another concern like i stated above. Devs had long term concern is not without reason

so are you saying " i dont care for devs, as long i not wasted my money?" this is the heartbreaking part here.
put thats aside,whats 'guilty' had anything to do here? there had nothing to do with conscience....it just about pro and cons of a bussiness model and how people view on it, how it might affected gaming landscape, the good and the bad.
Devs don't care about them selves 🤔

You refuse to reply on why control Is on PS now or metro Exodus on gamepass...if hurts them...why they put in there?

If they don't care about the game why i have to care?

Kumomeme

Devs don't care about them selves 🤔

You refuse to reply on why control Is on PS now or metro Exodus on gamepass...if hurts them...why they put in there?

If they don't care about the game why i have to care?

let me quoted myself
so agree=problem solve

so...if devs dont care about themself and the game why they express their concern?

Last edited:

Kumomeme

They can say "no" problem solved 🤷🏻‍♂️
Concern or not they say "yes"
the problem here, its not thats simple as saying 'no...'...they cant ignore where mass consumer will flock around....its something out of their hand...consumer is their audience and where they go, they need to follow and consumer surely cant resist the sweet bussiness model..like i said, it nice for consumer but for devs is another story...at the end, they had no choice but to adapt.... but there still pro and cons existed...there lies the concern

if there no problem, then there is no concern at first place 🤷🏻‍♂️

but indeed we have devs who had concern
there is smoke, there is fire

like i said above, we will see..look at other side probably the services still new and there lot of things need to be ironed out. Hopefully it wont be as how it being concerned of.

Heinrich

Banned
L
I don't think it is. The reality is that if you let most people today, beat a game for $2 they're less likely to buy said game for more money after they've already finished it

I don't support that kind of service future

Physical gaming is where it's at 👍

what about Sales then? Spring sales? Summer sale? Black Friday sale? Holiday sale? Steam sale? What about PSnow?
Why did no one say anything against that? Why is it that only if Microsoft does something it’s bad?

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, depends on the game. If it is a great game and it leaves, I still buy it.
Developers wouldn't release their games on gamepass if they wouldn't get something from it. So you support them this or that way. It is like spotify/netflix for the game industry, steady income vs one time income. Both have their pros and cons.

DrDamn

Depends on the game and whether I want to continue playing it when it leaves GamePass. I've not bought one yet to be honest, but been subscribed less than a year so only now starting to see some stuff disappear. I do end up trying a lot more titles and have discovered some real gems which I wouldn't have tried before (e.g. Yoku's Island Express, Plague Tale). I've already paid for the service and devs/publishers have been paid for having their games on the service, so I don't feel the need to pay more for something I don't want to play any more.

A couple of positives it has had though is that I have discovered more developers that I like the work of, and when they put more games out I am more likely to buy them - unless they are on GamePass obviously :). I will also talk up the titles I enjoy to friends and encourage them to play them, so maybe that also helps.

Is it sustainable longer term - I hope so because it's a great way for me to play a variety of games. It's not without it's problems and I expect stuff to change and evolve. It's doesn't need everyone to be buying the games either, some yes but not all, and that's fine. As a service it needs a variety of subscribers too, from those who will always buy to those who never buy and everything in between.

Markness

Banned
Game Pass made me go from a Steamdrone to a Microdrone. I am pretty picky about my games, but there are still a ton that end up onto the Game Pass. You spend 15 bucks a month to play a lot of decent games, and hold out until the game you really want goes on sale. You can double-dip that way, get to play some games that you didn't want to buy/gambled that they would end up on the Game Pass and you can be patient and wait for the deluxe/gold editions of games to go on sale and pick them up then. If you're a MP gamer though, things are more complicated.

Hobbygaming

L

what about Sales then? Spring sales? Summer sale? Black Friday sale? Holiday sale? Steam sale? What about PSnow?
Why did no one say anything against that? Why is it that only if Microsoft does something it’s bad?
Even with sales, gamers are still supporting the developers

With gp those people are buying less games which isn't good

Menace-UK-

Neo Member

What sort of logic is that? So now you can only be a diehard gamer if you waste your money.

Why in the fuck why i go buy any game that i just played and completed at a fraction of the cost? That is like saying you have to rebuy old 360/pS3 games just cause you liked it 10 years ago.

nikolino840

the problem here, its not thats simple as saying 'no...'...they cant ignore where mass consumer will flock around....its something out of their hand...consumer is their audience and where they go, they need to follow and consumer surely cant resist the sweet bussiness model..like i said, it nice for consumer but for devs is another story...at the end, they had no choice but to adapt.... but there still pro and cons existed...there lies the concern

if there no problem, then there is no concern at first place 🤷🏻‍♂️

but indeed we have devs who had concern
there is smoke, there is fire

like i said above, we will see..look at other side probably the services still new and there lot of things need to be ironed out. Hopefully it wont be as how it being concerned of.
Dosen't make sense anyway...

Nevermind ✌️

I don't buy tv shows or movies after watching them on Netflix. I think ive only bought like 1 or 2 gamepass games. Anything I MUST have I usually buy long before it ever arrives on gamepass.

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
There is a large sector of players that are incredibly selfish, man, if you like games so much and enjoy hours and hours, why the fuck do you not support the creators of the shit that you like so much? I think it's a horrible attitude in moral terms but it doesn't surprise me, we live in that cheap walmart buyer mentality where the smartest person is the one who buys everything for the lowest possible price without caring about anything, it's the same logic of the pirates who laugh at those who pay the game to full price while they pay nothing

MiguelItUp

I really don't understand the "negative" stigma that's going with Game Pass. It's not like devs have their titles unwillingly submitted to Game Pass and they aren't receiving money for their hard work. They are. It's just a different kind of service that we pay for differently, and they get paid for differently.

Preferring to buy a title afterward is a preference up to the person.

Look at Netflix or Spotify, I love and use both of them religiously. However, if a band I really love is releasing something I'll buy it because I want a physical copy. I'll do the same with movies, and I'd do the same with games. But those are very special to me, everything else I'm fine with having on the service. 🤷🏻‍♂️

tryDEATH

I bought 1 or 2 once they were on a deep sale, but I really wish there was a "Tip the Developer" option for games that are on Gamepass. To at least acknowledge their hard work even if I have no intentions in buying their game, but enjoyed the time that I did play.

Make it something like $1, $2, $3, or $5 option. I know it might be counter productive for the people that go out and buy the games, but I don't think this option would hurt that conversion rate that much yet could be a very nice alternative income for the developers and a thank you from the gaming community to them.

There is a large sector of players that are incredibly selfish, man, if you like games so much and enjoy hours and hours, why the fuck do you not support the creators of the shit that you like so much? I think it's a horrible attitude in moral terms but it doesn't surprise me, we live in that cheap walmart buyer mentality where the smartest person is the one who buys everything for the lowest possible price without caring about anything, it's the same logic of the pirates who laugh at those who pay the game to full price while they pay nothing
Waitaminit... did you really put subscription-users on the same level as pirates?

Holy moly, what the effing fuck? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Generally no.

However I will buy Outer Worlds when it releases on Switch. Played it on Gamepass at it ended up being my GOTY. Happy to pay them to have a portable version.

Top Bottom