• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Game-science] Market in Japan picking up?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Monster Hunter = best selling original title! w00t!

Read an interview a few days ago mentioning that the team are simply waiting for the green light to start work on the follow up....

Saying that, given that all the Monster Hunter guides from Capcom mentioned whole families of dragons/serpents etc that aren't in the first game, i suspect we'll get an append disk first.

I want me a fight with the Ancient Serpant!!!!

DCharlie said:
Read an interview a few days ago mentioning that the team are simply waiting for the green light to start work on the follow up....

They haven't even got a greenlight for the sequel yet? Capcom has to be satisfied with the sales of the title. I don't think anyone expected it to sell like it did.

cvxfreak

It seems as if things are looking up for Capcom in general. BioHazard Outbreak 2 should be a hit among Japanese gamers.

DCharlie

"They haven't even got a greenlight for the sequel yet? Capcom has to be satisfied with the sales of the title. I don't think anyone expected it to sell like it did."

it certainly surprised me that it reached the numbers it did.

Still, i can't see a follow up NOT getting the green light.

Maybe they're waiting to see if initial US sales are good as well. I imagine, particularly for the online side of things that those are the big ones.

cvxfreak

The only platforms showing growth are GBASP and GC. GBA and Xbox had very sharp drops, GBA being the biggest but it's understandable.

MASB

It's amazing that Nintendo has 32 titles (including Pokemon) in the top 100. I'm sure Famicom Mini helped contribute to that. It's too bad sales for the top 100 games aren't shown as well.

Culex

Banned
Xbox

Code:
----------------------------------
|Quarter 1/2 2004|Quarter 1/2 2003|
|18,239	         |66,108          |

Pack yer bags, it's all over.

DCharlie said:
"They haven't even got a greenlight for the sequel yet? Capcom has to be satisfied with the sales of the title. I don't think anyone expected it to sell like it did."

it certainly surprised me that it reached the numbers it did.

Still, i can't see a follow up NOT getting the green light.

I'm also surprised that Shinsengumi sold as well as it did. I definetly didn't expect it to pull off those numbers. I guess it was helped by the TV series that was running along with its release.

belgurdo

Banned
Is Shinsengumi coming over here? You figure SOMEONE has to be thinking "the US needs a DW killer" after seeing all of the consistent sales of that series

jarrod

Banned
27 GBA Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda Nintendo 193,158
50 GC The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords+ Nintendo 114,784

Ha!!

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Pro handheld jarrod wins again. ;)
Indeed... let's' all bask in my glory.

1 GBA Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green Pokemon 2,136,737
5 GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers Nintendo 553,360
11 GBA Kirby: Kagami no Meikyuukan Nintendo 430,763
14 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Blue Moon & Red Sun Capcom 374,026 (909,862)
25 GBA Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire Pokemon 196,397 (5,098,617)
27 GBA Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda Nintendo 193,158
30 GBA Famicom Mini: Ice Climber Nintendo 167,019
32 GBA Gyakuten Saiban 3 Capcom 158,239
33 GBA Dragonball Z Banpresto 155,085
35 GBA Naruto 2 Tomy 152,899
37 GBA Mario & Luigi RPG Nintendo 152,091 (426,901)
42 GBA Famicom Mini: Donkey Kong Nintendo 138,952
46 GBA Fullmetal Alchemist Bandai 130,271
49 GBA Power Pro-kun Pocket 6 Konami 115,538 (251,973)
51 GBA Famicom Mini: Ganbare Goemon Nintendo 112,862
55 GBA Rockman Zero 3 Capcom 107,901
57 GBA Famicom Mini: Xevious Nintendo 106,520
59 GBA Super Mario Advance 4 Nintendo 104,353 (561,448)
64 GBA Famicom Mini: Bomberman Nintendo 101,967
65 GBA Konshiki no Gashbell! Banpresto 101,802 (232,970)
66 GBA Famicom Mini: Pacman Nintendo 100,640
67 GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong Nintendo 99,518
69 GBA Super Donkey Kong Nintendo 97,457 (245,742)
73 GBA Tennis Prince 2004 Glorious Gold & Stylish Silver Konami 93,285
74 GBA Famicom Mini: Excite Bike Nintendo 92,550
77 GBA Densetsu no Stafy 2 Nintendo 86,860 (385,827)
78 GBA Crayon Shin-chan: Adventures in Cinema Land Banpresto 84,492
79 GBA Korokke! 3 Konami 84,394 (184,772)
80 GBA Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest Square-Enix 83,971 (321,623)
81 GBA Famicom Mini: Mappy Nintendo 82,473
82 GBA One Piece Going Baseball Bandai 81,100
86 GBA Mario Golf GBA Tour Nintendo 78,486
88 GBA Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire Pokemon 74,721 (391,692)
92 GBA Famicom Mini: Dr.Mario Nintendo 72,556
94 GBA Yugioh Duel Monsters Expert 3 Konami 70,518
97 GBA Metroid Zero Mission Nintendo 68,582
98 GBA Famicom Mini: Star Soldier Nintendo 68,098
100 GBA Harvest Moon Mineral Town for Girls Marvellous Entertainment 66,592 (102,386)

...and here I thought GBA games didn't sell. ;)

Also who was it that said no game in the Famicom Mini line would break 100? Step forward and recieve your spankings...

jarrod said:
Also who was it that said no game in the Famicom Mini line would break 100? Step forward and recieve your spankings...

fennec-gitsune bet egmshane that no title in the Famicom Mini line would break 100k. He then "forgot" to make good on the bet once Mario started selling like 600,000 copies.

Meier

jarrod said:

Heh heh, I was just gonna rub fenegi's nose in that. 7 titles over with another 1 or 2 probably in the current crop and quite a few from the third list over it -- crazy.

cvxfreak

jarrod, do you believe RockMan EXE 4 can sell a million? I think its a good possibility with the double pack this August.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
jarrod, do you believe RockMan EXE 4 can sell a million? I think its a good possibility with the double pack this August.
Yep, the double pack should clinch it. I expect EXE4.5 to do probably a modest 300k-ish on it's own and another 100k in the DP.

CVXFREAK said:
Japan rules and so does GameScience. Let me tough you GameScience!
They'd rule even more if they'd ever update that release list.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Yep, the double pack should clinch it. I expect EXE4.5 to do probably a modest 300k-ish on it's own and another 100k in the DP.

They'd rule even more if they'd ever update that release list.

Calling DCharlie.

DCharlie

okey dokey...

we'll try.

all of us are knee deep in various kinds of poop at the moment.

d.c.

Rhindle

DCharlie said:
Looks like sales are picking up slightly from last year?

dc..
It's called a "dead-cat bounce."
wink.gif

Actually, the reason overall sales are up is simply Pokemon.

cvxfreak

I wish Nintendo didn't discontinue the first Famicom mini line, especially Zelda and Mario. I'd wager that SMB had at least 100-200K left in it, but it has since dropped into the 30's. Too bad.

Goddamn, look at the Rockman sales. It has to be the hottest series next to pokemon on the GBA. Capcom Revolution support secured!

In a cost to develop:sales ratio that game has to be Capcom's cash cow.

jarrod

Banned
Duckhuntdog said:
In a cost to develop:sales ratio that game has to be Capcom's cash cow.
Seeing Onimusha's fall from grace, Rockman.EXE is easily Capcom's top franchise now. And well deserved too imo, they're some of the best collection RPGs ever.

Soul4ger

CVXFREAK said:
Uh, that's one copy less than the #100 game on the list.

...And there aren't any games for its console on the list, and it's also one of the biggest releases for the system. I dunno, I guess I figured since Team Ninja's two other games broke 200K, Ninja Gaiden would do at least half that. Here's to the appeal of large-breasted women. Oh, wait, those are in NG, too. What should we toast to?

cvxfreak

evilromero said:
I contributed to the Japanese market more than any one Japanese. Famicom Disk System Set, I'm buying you ALL!

Same here! 1 copy of Pokemon Fire Red, Donkey Konga, Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Pikmin 2. :D

I often wonder if Japanese actually buy games. I had to basically pay my girlfriend 1000yen to buy Pikmin because the game wasn't cheap anywhere. But she wanted it really badly but couldn't justify 4600yen. I don't blame her. The prices here are a fucking joke.

maskrider

Soul4ger said:
...And there aren't any games for its console on the list, and it's also one of the biggest releases for the system. I dunno, I guess I figured since Team Ninja's two other games broke 200K, Ninja Gaiden would do at least half that. Here's to the appeal of large-breasted women. Oh, wait, those are in NG, too. What should we toast to?

Ryu does not bounce, how would you expect the game to sell ? X-BOX is for the Hard-Core DOA fans in Japan.

cvxfreak

It, along with continued sales of the original editions, should propel the games to 1 million. Its depressing to see no other games besides Pokemon reach a million, although I'd bet good money Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Advance 2 and Mario Kart Advance are there or within striking range.

sasimirobot

evilromero said:
I often wonder if Japanese actually buy games. I had to basically pay my girlfriend 1000yen to buy Pikmin because the game wasn't cheap anywhere. But she wanted it really badly but couldn't justify 4600yen. I don't blame her. The prices here are a fucking joke.

I feel you man. 80$+ for Ninja Gaiden!!!??? a fucking joke. you would think some of the smarter/nerdier Japanese would just mod their consoles and import at those prices...

The Japanese economy is picking up, so why not the game market? Sadly though, I don't think the Japanese economic upturn will last much longer (both Japan and the US will soon falter again).

cvxfreak

Nintendo at the least is selling their GC games at 5800 Yen, 1000 Yen less than the average new game price in Japan. However, most stores offer a discount on top of that anyway.

Top Bottom