• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameindustry.biz article on Wii U: Death by SunhiLegend (post 346)

I hope the writers talking big game on how PS4 and next box are going to breathe new life into this industry are right otherwise they will be eating serious humble pie in a year.

so... You doesn't hope that Nintendo gets its shit together and improves lineup and hardware but you hope that Microsoft and Sony fail and and and?

Well, you should learn to read, I expect a ten years old to read better than you.

I was talking about the fact that is an exclusive.
The only people that like exclusives are the ones that own the console it will be exclusive for.

Just as I suspected

Absolutely brutal and very opinionated.

But that's just what I want from my opinion articles and I agree with the points raised. Great article.

Edit: "They will be drowned out by the bombast and great swinging balls of their rivals. What will the LA Times, Reuters, the BBC, Tech Crunch, Joystiq, VentureBeat, GamesIndustry International, Gamasutra and the rest of the media be prioritising during E3? Anything that can lift the console business up off its knees and give it an adrenaline shot. That's the real story here, and the Wii U is a boxout of what went wrong."

Wow, haha.

Interfectum

The question we should all be asking ourselves is, will there be an article in 2015 entitled: The Last Console Generation: Death by Apathy

so... You doesn't hope that Nintendo gets its shit together and improves lineup and hardware but you hope that Microsoft and Sony fail and and and?

I hope they are right that PS4 and Nextbox are the answer, because the industry will survive.
If they are wrong and PS4 and Nextbox receive tepid sales its going to be a rough 2014 for everybody.

What is Nintendo contributing? In what way will 720 and PS4 be influenced by anything Nintendo has done since Wii? What is Nintendo's contribution to society?

All industries rely on a general trend of growth

WiiU failing leaves a vacuum just like Ps3 initially did (and could have been worse). That vacuum has to be filled and no matter how miraculous next gen consoles are they can't get themselves to that kind of mass marketability fast enough.

Enjoy your IOS future.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You said "And the 'industry writers' come out to spit vinegar after another Nintendo Direct.". The implication being the timing of this article is related to the Nintendo Direct. Is that inaccurate?
He talks about the flipping sonic partnership announced during today's direct. Get the glue out of your eyes.

You said "And the 'industry writers' come out to spit vinegar after another Nintendo Direct.". The implication being the timing of this article is related to the Nintendo Direct. Is that inaccurate?

Every Nintendo Direct ushers in articles about Nintendo Doom. This one just happens to coincide with EA 'announcing' again that they aren't bringing something else to the WiiU.

Also, what are PS4 and Nextbox's contribution to society? Inquiring minds must know.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What is Nintendo contributing? In what way will 720 and PS4 be influenced by anything Nintendo has done since Wii? What is Nintendo's contribution to society?
How about the touch pad on the ps4 controller or idk the fact that Sony is touting vita and ps4 off screen play comparability ala wii u

Do you not understand words? I'm saying Nintendo hasn't contributed any ideas or trends recently that are impacting the future of home consoles. Nintendo leaving the industry wouldn't leave us stagnated because they've not been contributing anything captivating since 2007.

Freki

Someone should remind this idiot that Nintendo kicked Sony and Microsofts ass last generation.

Going with this Logic - should Sony and the PS3 have gotten a free pass because PS2 dominated the market in a similar fashion?

How about the touch pad on the ps4 controller or idk the fact that Sony is touting vita and ps4 off screen play comparability ala wii u

Sony were doing that shit with PS3 and PSP. What has Nintendo done lately. 3DS and Wii U. Where's the great, new ideas that inspires the industry?

I still don't understand why all gamers expect the PS4 and the Nextbox to sell 5283957238957892 hardware units.

I think sales won't be that great for either..

Maybe not as bad as the Wii U.. but they aren't going to be great.

I bet ps3 and 360 both outsell their next gen counter-parts this holiday season.

Am i one of the few that thinks Nintendo will turn this around?

Maxim726X

Someone should remind this idiot that Nintendo kicked Sony and Microsofts ass last generation.

They moved a lot of consoles, and a lot of first party titles. That's about it.

Great for them at the time, but 3rd party developers got burned. Now that there's no install base, you're basically only going to see 1st party.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Sony were doing that shit with PS3 and PSP. What has Nintendo done lately. 3DS and Wii U. Where's the great, new ideas that inspires the industry?
1. Psp remote play is atrociously laggy, not a standard feature, and lacks proper controller inputs.

2. You ignored the point about the touch pad on the controller which is directly taken from the Wii U.

3. The fact that there's going to be a kinect 2.0 and a new ps eye suggests that motion controls are still in, a trend that may I remind you Nintendo started.

enewtabie

These threads are so sad. I love my Wii U and there's good stuff being worked on so it'll be a good console long term. I think anybody who thinks Nintendo is doomed or going out of business is either delusional or has a short term memory. The article is tough,but there are some points in there. Looks like a lot of the forum posts summarized.

73V3N

Banned
They moved a lot of consoles, and a lot of first party titles. That's about it.

Great for them at the time, but 3rd party developers got burned. Now that there's no install base, you're basically only going to see 1st party.

What 3rd parties?
The ones that skipped it before it launched?

Maxim726X

I still don't understand why all gamers expect the PS4 and the Nextbox to sell 5283957238957892 hardware units.

I think sales won't be that great for either..

Maybe not as bad as the Wii U.. but they aren't going to be great.

I bet ps3 and 360 both outsell their next gen counter-parts this holiday season.

Am i one of the few that thinks Nintendo will turn this around?

1) Of course they won't be as bad as the WiiU. That would mean that the industry is all but dead.
2) Define 'turn it around'. The Wii captured the casual audience. This didn't. The end.

Do you not understand words? I'm saying Nintendo hasn't contributed any ideas or trends recently that are impacting the future of home consoles. Nintendo leaving the industry wouldn't leave us stagnated because they've not been contributing anything captivating since 2007.

The future of home consoles are PC's with controllers on them.

Also Nintendos value isn't only as an innovator, but as a stable competitor.

People in positions of power hope to upset Nintendo and have them turn 3rd party but I think they would just close shop and sell off pieces instead of doing that.

Nintendo leaving the industry would be devastating to me because I enjoy their games, but there's a multitude of other things to enjoy doing in life.

If Nintendo won't be contributing to the industry then I will do other things.

This just seems a bit irrelevant to the current situation. It's akin to bragging about your team winning the Super Bowl last year when they didn't even make the playoffs for the current year.

Maxim726X

What 3rd parties?
The ones that skipped it before it launched?

Anyone who isn't Nintendo or Ubisoft?

The future of home consoles are PC's with controllers on them.

Nintendo leaving the industry would be devastating to me because I enjoy their games, but there's a multitude of other things to enjoy doing in life.

If Nintendo won't be contributing to the industry then I will do other things.

Of course they're never going to 'leave the industry'. They're going to continue making games, but the question is now whether they will do it on a console with a Nintendo logo on it

1. Psp remote play is atrociously laggy, not a standard feature, and lacks proper controller inputs.

2. You ignored the point about the touch pad on the controller which is directly taken from the Wii U.

3. The fact that there's going to be a kinect 2.0 and a new ps eye suggests that motion controls are still in, a trend that may I remind you Nintendo started.

How is a touch pad on the controller directly taken from Wii U? Are you saying that touch controls haven't become ubiquitous with pretty much all modern tech? I'll give Nintendo props for being early to that party back in 2004. It's 2013. What is Nintendo doing with their most recent systems that is genuinely new and not just building on shit they did with the DS?

I said quite clearly Wii helped usher in new control schemes (sadly). The point is, if Nintendo vanished in 2007, what amazing ideas would we have missed out on? What would be detrimental to the industry if they vanished? We'd lose some good games, but that's not going to be damaging to the industry at large.

Nintendo has to really make E3 count, that much is obvious. It's already a bummer W101 is a September game. Lots of missteps? Yep. I don't get why the article needs vitriol to reiterate this, though.

Of course they're never going to 'leave the industry'. They're going to continue making games, but the question is now whether they will do it on a console with a Nintendo logo on it
I don't think Nintendo will ever go third party, it just doesn't make business sense. Handheld only? Maybe.

Prine

Banned
Said this some time ago, apathy towards this system for isn't new, it was there when they reveled it. They fumbled their chance this generation

I don't think they will do anything that isn't in their complete control, so no. I don't think they will be pulling a Sega anytime, ever.

They will do something in an industry they can have control over, whatever that is.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Agree 100% with the article, good read. Wiii U is nothing short of a disaster so far and it will need a massive turn around to change my mind. Hope Ninty can turn it around. And if they can't, at least learn from this and release a better console next time around.

Maxim726X

I don't think Nintendo will ever go third party, it just doesn't make business sense. Handheld only? Maybe.

Let's say that they are forced to exit the console business after the Wii U. You're suggesting that they would just sit on some of the most iconic franchises in entertainment and not do anything with them?

Top Bottom