• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Cover reveals Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor(PC/PS3/360/X1/PS4)/Monolith

Quentyn

First coverage trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4RuVTAFIo

Some screengrabs from the video:

k70KWvu.png

lua4HGf.png

tnaSjOC.png

They've only done two small downloadable titles since 2009, and they're a 100+ studio..
I love LOTR, so this could be great. A good RPG in Middle Earth would be far, far better than any game ever.

They merged with two other studios last year (one of which was Snowblind Studios, the War in the North people), so they are a lot bigger now than they were when developing those two downloadable titles.

Guri

No One Lives Forever - Great, great game that's up in the air regarding licensings.
Condemned: Criminal Origins 1 and 2 - spooky survival action game involving hobos and bears.
FEAR 1 - Spooky Shooter that's really damn good.
FEAR 2 - Spooky Shooter that's good but not as good as the sequel but still holds up pretty well.
FEAR 3 - Shit shooter that's not spooky at all and requires Co-Op
Gotham City Impostors - Honestly it's my FAVORITE shooter of this generation. Oozes style and the gunplay is phenomenal.
Guardians of Middle Earth - it's a MOBA.

I think they're qualified. Interested to see what Monolith can do.

FEAR 3 was by Day 1 Studios.

Intestered to know more about this Nemesis System.

unconquered Mordor....wasn't that back in the 1st age....

but open world sound good, ranger wrath sounds good, ranger fused with a wrath? wtf? why not cursed to become a wrath its more fitting of the universe, fusions? what is this Dragonball Z? do you do a little dance at the start of the game?

Derrick01

Banned
The Nemesis System assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.

Hmm...uhhh alright I'm intrigued. This sounds impossible to pull off correctly though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also it kind of cheapens Lord of the Rings to have a dude literally just walk into Mordor, doesn't it?

PS if that broken sword is Narsil, fuck this game

Tolkien must be writhing in his grave. Middle Earth is not a universe you can really fuck around with, canon-wise. I do hope they're actually using some source material and not just creating some elaborate fanfic.

Ridley327

Tolkien must be writhing in his grave. Middle Earth is not a universe you can really fuck around with, canon-wise. I do hope they're actually using some source material and not just creating some elaborate fanfic.

That didn't stop EA from doing The Third Age, which was about a strikingly similar group to the Fellowship that JUST SO HAPPENED to experience many of the same things.

CHC

Hmmm seems like the LOTR game many have been waiting for. But I can't help but feel that it's lame you're "fused with wraith"... Am I the only one getting tired of exceptionally over-badass, super-special protagonists? I'd rather just play a regular ranger and explore the world like a normal guy, I'm sure the wraith element is also going to bring this whole tiresome "tormented soul" "torn between good and evil" side story that will probably get in the way a whole lot.

I probably sound really negative I feel like I've just seen this kinda thing a million times before.

Miletius

I may be one of the few, but I'm glad they are still supporting current gen. I'll hang on until the very last second.

It makes sense from both a developer and consumer standpoint, so I'm good with it as well. I may not be buying it on current gen tech, but there are plenty of people that will.

Hmmm seems like the LOTR game many have been waiting for. But I can't help but feel that it's lame you're "fused with wraith"... Am I the only one getting tired of exceptionally over-badass, super-special protagonists? I'd rather just play a regular ranger and explore the world like a normal guy, I'm sure the wraith element is also going to bring this whole tiresome "tormented soul" "torn between good and evil" side story that will probably get in the way a whole lot.

It really is tiring. Hopefully the gameplay is decent, but I'm getting some Force Unleashed vibes from this one.

Htown

That didn't stop EA from doing The Third Age, which was about a strikingly similar group to the Fellowship that JUST SO HAPPENED to experience many of the same things.

that was also dumb, for many reasons

not least of which the fact that this not-fellowship joins Gandalf for a Balrog boss battle

deleted

Wow, that doesn't look like LotR at all! I don't have any interest in this game based on the cover. Glowing eyes, set in Mordor, 'fused' character with Narsil in Hand?

No Thanks. Middle-Earth has so many amazing stories to tell and for a video game there a many great wars and conflicts you can base your game on - this doesn't look like it is one of them. From here on out it has to fight an uphill battle to get my attention again.

Htown

It really is tiring. Hopefully the gameplay is decent, but I'm getting some Force Unleashed vibes from this one.

oh god you're right that's totally what this feels like

complete with Gary Stu more-powerful-than-anyone (because he's fused with a wraith) protagonist who fights the original villains before anybody else and totally used the sword of kings before Aragorn did

ugggghhhhh

Oh christ that game was awful. FF13 before that project was even a twinkle in old Nomura's eye.

Yaaaay I don't have to buy a next gen system :) Wait, which Monolith is this...?

EDIT: Watched the trailer. Nobody's eyes should glow like that in Middle-Earth. My inner fan is mucho skeptical.

andycapps

This reminds me a little more of the cancelled Star Wars game. I could see this project being too big to come out, or that it could have development problems. Both are franchises with very high expectations from their fans.

Overall thoughts; grimdark Tolkien? Eeeeehh. Give me a game where I can explore a fully fledged, beautiful Shire.
That isn't the MMO or the Lego game.

It's no White Council, that's for sure.

Htown

god it's totally The Force Unleashed

I cannot un-see it

Prequel story starring a super-powerful fanfic protagonist who goes to face the Big Evil before the movie heroes do.

this is the wooooorst

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What.

Next gen Middle Earth? I am in.

That said. Stop making the current gen versions, its annoying. (yes I know, $)

Htown

Sounds like the KOTOR of LOTR, thousands of years before anything we've known so they can creature entire new worlds that will never interact with the MiddleEarth we know

Except it's not, because it happens between the Hobbit and LOTR.

marrec

Banned
god it's totally The Force Unleashed

I cannot un-see it

Prequel story starring a super-powerful fanfic protagonist who goes to face the Big Evil before the movie heroes do.

this is the wooooorst

The ONLY reason I'm cautiously optimistic about this is that it's from Monolith.

gabbo

This makes me sad.

2013-11-1217_25_19-mi64zfk.png

Why is that? I'm glad Warner Bros' hasn't closed them, even if their output isn't a continuous 1-NOLF/SHOGO/etc a generation.

Not sure I'm all that interested in non-canon LotR (seem like a wasted opportunity to use some of the lesser known stories), but I generally trust Monolith, so we'll see how it turns out.

Top Bottom