• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer interview with Ohmori and Masuda (Sun/Moon)

yoonshik

Gameinformer interview with Ohmori and Masuda.

Some quotes:

Game Informer: Is Yungoos modeled after Donald Trump?

Junichi Masuda: It’s a very American-centric question I think, and actually a lot of people sent me comparison photos on Twitter pointing out the resemblance. But we had started design of this Pokémon a long time back, and we didn’t any intention to make it look like Donald Trump.

Will there be any cross-promotion between the two games, Pokémon Go and Sun & Moon? Like, Pokémon unlocking in one because you played the other, etc.?

Junichi Masuda: With Pokémon Go, yeah, we definitely want to have some kind of – at some point – some kind of connectivity, some way the games can interact. A lot of people, of course, knew Pokémon from the animated series, but Pokémon Go reached even way more people than the anime. It's released in more countries and has reached a much wider audience. So, I think a lot of people maybe learned about Pokémon for the first time from Pokémon Go, the core concept of throwing out a Pokéball and catching a Pokémon, so we don't want to waste that. We want people who picked up Pokémon and learned about it through Pokémon Go to also play Sun and Moon and the main series games. We want to have a kind of way to connect the two, or have a way for people who enjoyed one to enjoy some of their progress in the other. But that will definitely come down the road.

With the NX looming next year and whatever that could mean for handheld Nintendo consoles, will Sun and Moon be the last Pokémon games for 3DS?

Junichi Masuda: When it comes to the main series, thinking of Pokémon RPGs that we develop at Game Freak, we always really considered the timing of when we released them. There has to be a certain point where we're able to release the games and get them into the hands of enough people, to make sure the audience is big enough. This year, with Pokémon Sun and Moon, obviously we're going to be starting to think about the next title, and then depending on what that timing is, I think that will determine which we platform we would release it on.

Neiteio

Haha, why are several of you upset by the Donald Trump question? It's an uncanny resemblance. I mean, yeah, I'm not surprised there's no connection, but it's fun to see the director's take. Apparently he's very familiar with the fact people see a resemblance!

Neiteio

I bet "Trump" will be the most common nickname for Yungoos/Gumshoos

I'll nickname mine Trump.
Then I'll leave it in a box forever where it can't build walls or grab people by the pussy.

Neiteio

Because the entire idea of it being based on Trump was asinine
It's fun to see that the director is aware of how nearly everyone sees the resemblance, though.

If the games were made in America, the design would've almost certainly been altered.

I'm seeing a lot more Pokémon based on inanimate objects like Klefki, the sand castle, and the lei from Sun and Moon. Are you running out of animals?

Junichi Masuda: I don't really feel we are running out of material, especially with the series as it’s progressed. We've tried to find more of a fine balance of creatures that may look like they could be typical animals and also more Pokémon based on inanimate objects. I don't feel like we're running out of material or ideas anytime soon, but I think it's the result of trying to find that balance.

What a weird question. There are wayyyy more animals in the world to base Pokemon off of than inanimate man-made objects. There really aren't a lot more inanimate object Pokemon these days than any other generation.

I legit wanted to know.

I didn't realize how serious people wanted their fucking Pokemon interviews... shit...

except it was clear from the beginning that no TPC didn't model a Pokémon after an vitriolic American politician because why the FUCK would they

It's kind of just embarrassing to see asked because it's a REEEEEALLY loose resemblance with coincidental timing so it's very clearly just a stupid fan thing

Seiniyta

Because the entire idea of it being based on Trump was asinine

Somebody would have asked it at some point anyway. Good response by them anyway.

No Soaring on one side is a bummer, but on the other I felt it was a bit awkward in ORAS, and the long startup animation every time. It's great if you didn't have a flying mon in your party. But with Pokéride that's not an issue anymore regardless.

I think seeing how the game visually progresses at some point we'll just hop on a ride pokémon and fly around freely without having a special overworld. Then you can fly to a side of a mountain which otherwise would be inacessible and such. That'd be neat.

Only stupid people made the Trump connection.

image.php

13ruce

Banned
The Trump question lol... Anyway it would not surprise me if a third version releases a year after NX release or so. Nintendo is not gonna wait years for the next pokemon game on that, NX really needs a mainline pokemon game soon in it's life cycle. Maybe it's the Sinnoh remake that would be awesome.

What a weird question. There are wayyyy more animals in the world to base Pokemon off of than inanimate man-made objects. There really aren't a lot more inanimate object Pokemon these days than any other generation.

Yeah this is a question asked by someone without any cohesive idea of what the Pokémon roster looks like cuz there are still waaaaaay too few of the "object" Pokémon for me

Pokémon can only say their own name. Pikachu, for example, can only speak his name. Do they say their own name and then that's what humans decide to call them? Or do humans start calling them their names and then the Pokémon recognize that and start saying it?

Junichi Masuda: I don't really know actually. Honestly, though, that a separation of the main series RPGs from the animated series. It's the animated series in which the Pokémon are always saying their names like that. I think we decided to do that in the animated series to make it easier for audiences to understand which Pokémon it is. Maybe in that universe the Pokémon starting saying their names first and then humans went, "Oh, okay. That must be your name."
Thought this was interesting - they definitely consider the show and game separately when it comes to the nature of the world.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm saying its a dumb ass question.

It's a funny question based on a phenomena that happend after they showed the pkmn the first time. Hell he already knew about the meme. It was asked for fun probably. Don't understand why you all have to throw such language around with "dumb ass" and stuff. But okay.

vareon

Guys, the Gameinformer interview was much more lighthearted and fun than the usual interviews. I think that was kinda the point.

Infinite

It's a funny question based on a phenomena that happend after they showed the pkmn the first time. Hell he already knew about the meme. It was asked for fun probably. Don't understand why you all have to throw such language around with "dumb ass" and stuff. But okay.
Saw your post before your edit btw. Sorry for having an opinion on a useless dumb ass question everyone already knew the answer. sorry the term dumb ass offends you.

Neiteio

Wtf at people saying Yungoos looks like Trumo... there's literally no resemblance
Except for the unmistakable hair, the scowling face, the swollen body, the air of anger, the fact its whole premise is it drives out Pokemon from other countries, etc.

But other than, well, everything... no resemblance!

(Yes, it's based on a detective on a stakeout, and the hair is meant to resemble a hat. But you'd have to be blind or politically unaware to not see how people see a resemblance.)

edit: referring to Gumshoos in particular, btw

Yeah this is a question asked by someone without any cohesive idea of what the Pokémon roster looks like cuz there are still waaaaaay too few of the "object" Pokémon for me

Despite there being a million Water Pokemon, already, they haven't even scratched the surface of the variety of life found in the oceans.

Combine that with all the land animals, plants, fungi, single celled organisms and the near limitless variety of rocks and minerals, there's no shortage of natural things in the world to base Pokemon off of.

So it's a really lame question that just seems like someone who hates Trubbish and Klefki and believes those sorts of Pokemon are becoming more common (when they aren't).

Thought this was interesting - they definitely consider the show and game separately when it comes to the nature of the world.

Dunno why that's surprising, considering they've kept the stupid "Pokemon saying their name" out of games, even when the tech and storage space allowed it. Although we did get Pokemon Yellow which was rally random

That first dumbass question you quoted, whoo boy!

Interesting with the Pokemon Go comment. I forgot all about the game. Where'd the hype go? That game was all over the news at one point and we had a bunch of threads here about it.

Neiteio

The internet ruined the only Pokemon based off of a hardboiled detective.
Hey, if Trump wasn't a near-universally reviled bully whose extremely punchable face has been dominating the news cycle the past year, maybe this wouldn't be a problem!

Dunno why that's surprising, considering they've kept the stupid "Pokemon saying their name" out of games, even when the tech and storage space allowed it. Although we did get Pokemon Yellow which was rally random

I love how non-anime inspired stuff like Pokken, Origins and Generations uses regular animal sounds.

Takes me back to the Pokemon Stadium 2 days where Murkrow cawked like a crow, Donphan made elephant noises, and Feraligatr growled and hissed like a crocodile. While still using their game cries, because they made the animals sounds like the cries in the game.

Top Bottom