• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer interview with Ohmori and Masuda (Sun/Moon)

As somebody who loves detectives, I have a very hard time finding the visual motifs of such a design in Gumshoos. There is nothing about Gumshoos that says "detective" to me.

I don't understand what visual elements of a detective were interpreted to make this Pokémon. I guess the way its fur sticks out is vaguely reminiscent of a trench coat, but that alone isn't much to speak of.

Even the use of yellow instead of black seems like a missed opportunity to have more thematic coherency.

Straight up surprised he asked about Pokemon Uranium considering they got the cease and desist on it. If he really feels the people involved should be working in the industry, look the peeps up and offer them a job.

Edit: And I hope that new one scheduled for December doesn't get pulled. That one looks really good!

Neiteio

As somebody who loves detectives, I have a very hard time finding the visual motifs of such a design in Gumshoos. There is nothing about Gumshoos that says "detective" to me.

I don't understand what visual elements of a detective were interpreted to make this Pokémon. I guess the way its fur sticks out is vaguely reminiscent of a trench coat, but that alone isn't much to speak of.
I guess the hat is supposed to look like a detective's hat, but I've never seen a blonde-colored detective's hat.

Overall effect: It's pretty much Donald Trump.

Kinsei

Banned
What an awful interview.

The pose is very detetive like and the hair is clearly based on the iconic Holmes hat.

tumblr_mzrpya4HHl1qf03a6o1_1280.jpg

There's also this:
Gumshoos stakes out its prey’s usual routes and waits patiently for it to come by.

Neiteio

I think one of the key problems with Gumshoos' detective motif is it looks like a savage sharp-toothed animal — not something you'd associate with thoughtful patience, even if it stands with its hands behind its back and stakes out locations.

Neiteio

Now I'm worried that they'll try to make a buddy cop Pokemon based on Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, but unwittingly make it look like Hitler and Mussolini instead

What's with all these references to the developers wanting fans of the anime to try these games? What kids are watching the cartoon without playing the video games? Does this happen?

Neiteio

What's with all these references to the developers wanting fans of the anime to try these games? What kids are watching the cartoon without playing the video games? Does this happen?
Never really thought about this, but actually, yeah, it probably does happen. More kids are on smartphones these days than 3DS, yet they may still be familiar with the Pokemon anime by way of Saturday morning cartoons (or however it goes in Japan).

JoeM86

Transfers from Pokémon Red and Blue could have some interesting effects

In a rather nice treat, Pokémon Red and Blue will be compatible with Sun and Moon through Pokémon Bank, linking the first generation with the modern games for the first time. But there are a lot of complications, like the fact that stats work totally differently in the Game Boy games. So how's it going to work?

"Of course the way it works is that you put it in the Pokémon Bank to bring them into your Sun and Moon games, and at that stage the data is converted to bring in all of the stuff from over the years. I think players will have a lot of fun seeing how their Pokémon change from one game to another," Masuda says.

As for whether aspects like traits and personalities will be randomly assigned, or whether playing Red and Blue will give trainers some sort of special advantage: "That's definitely one thing we want people to try out for themselves."
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/int...or-shigeru-ohmori-opens-up-about-sun-and-moon

I don't buy the "yellow hair is a detective hat" thing.

And to be clear, I'm not arguing that Gumshoos isn't based off a detective. I'm just saying it's not apparent in its design at all. It's all description.

I guess the hat is supposed to look like a detective's hat, but I've never seen a blonde-colored detective's hat.

Overall effect: It's pretty much Donald Trump.

See, I associate that pose with security guards, not detectives. And I don't see anything about the Holmes hat that is reminiscent of Gumshoos hair. Its hair, if anything, is shaped like driver's cap.

Not so much the colour, but the hair hat does look a bit like the hat worn by the detective friend of Layton from the Opening of Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney.

GiovanniLetter.png

It's still more trump like than anything else though.

Not so much the colour, but the hair hat does look a bit like the hat worn by the detective friend of Layton from the Opening of Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney.

GiovanniLetter.png

It's still more trump like than anything else though.

This is interesting. Is it cultural? Is the Japanese imagery of a detective different from the western one? Is this just what detectives look like in Japanese media?

Seiniyta

Thanks for the answer

Also Serebii was the one site I have consistently visited since back in the mid 2000's - keep up the great work!

Yup, I visited the site when I was like 11 or so and I saw the first pictures of Torchic and some other 3rd gen pokémon and showed it around in class when the teacher wasn't in class. Everyone huddling around the computer looking at it :)

Nightbird

Haha, why are several of you upset by the Donald Trump question? It's an uncanny resemblance. I mean, yeah, I'm not surprised there's no connection, but it's fun to see the director's take. Apparently he's very familiar with the fact people see a resemblance!

It's okay as a one-time joke. But they basically asked the same question thrice.

Thats too much

Yes and they said they won't reveal it but intend for players to play for a long time

uu9pmDP.gif

(Older) Leak Spoilers:
Page 2 of the GI interview explains why the starter concept pages were named weirdly. Crabrawler was codenamed Crab 1, much like how Litten's final evo was named Tora (Tiger) 3.

Not getting the hate for these questions. Lighten up a bit guys, it was a fun interview not just asking stuff that would end up with "play it for yourself next month".

Zubz

Banned
I just want my Sleuthy Mongoose, or "Monslueth," as mine will be named. I'm sick and tired of the Trump comparison, and I'm glad Masuda dug into GI for trying to make it in a damn interview.

I don't buy the "yellow hair is a detective hat" thing.

And to be clear, I'm not arguing that Gumshoos isn't based off a detective. I'm just saying it's not apparent in its design at all. It's all description.

Gumshoos is already brown; yellow just fits the color scheme. And the hair is obviously hat-shaped.

This is interesting. Is it cultural? Is the Japanese imagery of a detective different from the western one? Is this just what detectives look like in Japanese media?

Honestly, no idea! I just out of the blue started replaying it, saw Carmine and then felt I had to post it. I can't actually think of another serious detective in Japanese media that looks anything like him. But then, my only references are other Ace Attorney and Layton detectives.

Dryk

Game Freak doesn't neccesarily look back on old games to see what they can improve
I had noticed that yes.

I also always find it interesting that Game Freak are always trying to treat each region like a living, breathing world which is completely at odds with the player base's overall desire of "No but they're obviously videogames tho. Stop removing shit".

Top Bottom