• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass Is Lame Actually

Gamepass Thoughts?

• Love Gamepass & I use it all the time

Votes: 154 31.2%
  • Meh I could take it or leave it. I use it to play a few min of some games

Votes: 95 19.3%
  • Its great for others, not really for me

Votes: 144 29.2%
  • Gamepass sucks

Votes: 100 20.3%

• Total voters

Tunned

I already pay for gas, electricity, water, mobile, internet, health insurance on a monthly basis. I don't need more crap clogging up my expenses, I'm old school, I like to own my things. I hate how so many things in life are, or have become a subscription, even Microsoft Office (wtf!?).

Tldr: "Old" man yells at cloud.

King Dazzar

Meh gets my vote. Good for trying some stuff, and thats it for me. Not sure its good for the industry and it doesnt have much that I usually want and when it does get something I like, I've usually been playing it well in advance. Not renewing next month when it expires.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that the Internet as a whole seems to have dialed back on the whole Game Pass hype thing. It's an ok service with plenty of games, but it just lacks heavy hitters imo. Day one games are the biggest draw but literally the most enjoyment I've gotten out of that promise is Hades and Lies of P. Everything else has been somewhat a disappointment.

Topher

Gold Member
It's fine. Completely optional service. Subscribe when there is a game on the service you want to play. Unsubscribe when done. Or just ignore it and buy the games.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not really valuable to me because I'm not a dabbler. If I find something I like, I'm gonna play it to death, and I actively dislike jumping between different titles daily.

Really depends on what your gaming habits are imho.

Quasicat

I like playing some of the games, but I use the Cloud Streaming everyday. It doesn’t work too well at work, but it runs perfectly at home. I wish Microsoft would do what they announce in 2020 and allow streaming of the games I‘ve purchased.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, it's definitely good for a lot of people who just want to dabble in a bunch of random shit. I still want to own my games and will not pay for a subscription (and before anyone tries to jump in with the tired "u don't really own ur games" platitudes - save us the time and just don't).

It's not one-size-fits-all.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I love it, although I have had it in pause since the turn of the year due to all the free games I got from EGS.
But it means I don't get to try Palworld just to see what the fuss is about. Gamepass is just freeing in that you have a whole bunch of games you can try out and just keep playing if you like it. Or if my kids see some new game on YouTube like palworld or that fish bowl one or whatever, 90% of the time they can just play it for the couple of hours it will keep their attention. Then theirs flight sim, forza horizon etc.
It's honestly a great service and you can always just drop it for a month or two if your backlog gets too big.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The whole subscription model is a devaluation model, if you dont have to sell you dont have to put out good things just mostly fillers, and it turns your users into zombies that dont accept anymore expending money on games ... it is/was a failed strategy to gain more users and the only thing it did was diminish the brand recognition as a prime gaming brand even more.

I hope they go third party and start developing games that NEED to be good to SELL ... everybody is going to win ... the only thing Xboxers will loose is the pipe dream they would play day 01 AAA games on the cheap forever

Btw the third party thing is just because they dont have and will not have the install base to maintain their games exclusive... IF they want to maximize profits in the xbox division ... if profits are not a concern then keep first party but drop this gamepass day 1 nonsense

Last edited:
It’s been amazing for my little girl and her friends. It’s all they do. Play different games. They always for sure playing the ones they can play together. But sometimes just play a solo game every now and then. As a kid, playing, snes, sega and ps1. I would had love gamepass. How often I rented games back then and ask for the games I really love for Christmas or on my birthday.

There's no arguing it's a great value, but it cheapened the hobby for me. I'd play a game for a few hours, then feel compelled to play something else. It also led me to purchase almost no games. The only games I bought for my Series X were Cyberpunk and Red Dead 2, both at steep discounts, and those were the only games I invested substantial time into because I had purchased them and they felt more tangible to me.

tldr: Gamepass felt like a demo kiosk to me and I don't understand how Microsoft wasn't hemorrhaging money on the service

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
But thats issue, most Xbox players wont give JRPG a chance unless ts on GamePass.....what are the chances Xbox players buy a game like Unicorn Overlord without GamePass?
We are discussing how great is GamePass and I said a great example. How many will buy a game? Another discussion

Value is 100% subjective. Gamepass has little for me personally. Just not much there that appeals to me.
Wont be re-subscribing anytime soon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We are discussing how great is GamePass and I said a great example. How many will buy a game? Another discussion
But thats the thing if JP devs see their games dont sell on Xbox without GamePass then they are less willing release their game on that platform.

GamePass can be great but also creates bad habit.

Last edited:

Sacred

27 people here says game pass sucks. 🤣

I have saved thousands in games over the last 3 years. I didn't have to pay anything but the $5 per month till 2023 and it is still an insane value. I have been able to play so much more variety, enjoy titles I would never play, plus get all 1st party titles.

Also, my daughter plays vastly different games and she has ADHD so I am downloading alot of new niche titles for her.

Anyone that says it sucks doesn't have it and is clearly hating, just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I don't like it. I tried it for a free month, but I don't really like renting my games. It was cool when I was a child and I couldn't afford to buy my own games, but I'd rather own them now, physically if at all possible and this is pretty much the opposite of that. It's just not my thing. If for some reason I wanted to try out a large amount of games to see if I wanted to buy them - I guess? I also don't like other aspects about it, like pushing "engagement" and likely a race to the bottom basically.

Allandor

Creating negativity threads about Ms is lame actually...

Still like gamepass. There is always a game for me inside I would otherwise never play or I wanted to play.

Only thing that I still miss is gamepass family subscription. Won't pay a full blown subscription for both kids and my wife. And sharing the account means, that sometimes I can't play because my kids need me logged in on their console.

Last edited:

cireza

Subscribed to try it out because there was an pretty good deal for 3 years, but I have hardly ever used it in the end. I don't have enough free time.

Puscifer

Gamefly > Gamepads

Playing what you're actually interested in >>> Playing what's spoonfed to you

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
It's really not for me. My GPU sub will expire in April and I'm just going to Core for online gaming access.

I definitely see it's value though if you know you have a tight gaming budget and you play plenty of games.

I do wonder about it's future though. It's current iteration (Day 1 drops on tentpole games) will probably be moved to a new higher tier. Or I'm completely wrong.

WitchHunter

Banned
My issue with gamepass is, I felt like an imposter, a thief, a blood sucking vampire when used it. You pay 10 bucks, play a top notch game, finish it, play another, finish it, play another and you still have 1 week left from your 10 dollar subscription. You gobbled up around 200 dollar value for 10 bucks. I mean it just feels WRONG for everyone involved. It's a WMD, a long term, let's bleed everyone out kinda weapon. If anyone who is above the indie threshold publishes a game on gamepass, should be ashamed that they fuel this abomination.

Gamepass is wrong, I would only let it exist in developing countries where the average GDP per capita is very low.

The question is why would someone want to do that? Hmmm... Interesting times we live in.

Last edited:

mdkirby

It’s “ok”…there’s enough I’m interested in year to justify it, I guess. But these services are never gonna be great value for me. I own hundreds of games, having bought any and everything I’m interested in as they release. So its value to me is relatively limited. Same with PlayStation+, tho that’s my primary platform so at least the discounted prices on new releases is a useful perk.

Super casuals it’s not great for either, they just don’t play enough games. But there’ll be some in the middle who aren’t hardcore or super casual it’s great for. And ps+ extra and gamespass are phenomenally good value for kids.

In the past a kid would get a couple of games for Xmas, burn through them maybe before the holidays are over. Now they get a 1 yr sub with hundreds and hundreds of games. This brings me to the big problem with it, and with “day one” in particular. It is incredibly value destructive, and is training the next generation to think all the top releases for the year will just be “free”. It warps the perception of how much a game is worth, once those kids are in their 20s they’ll be a lot less likely to pay for any games. Why spend $30 for an indie? That’s like a quarter the cost of a yr sub with hundreds of indies, and loads of Aaa, and they will be really hesitant to spend $70.

I think microsoft is starting to realise this, and their model only worked if they had crazy numbers of subscriptions. But it’s not happening.

BigLee74

Wah wah wah. I hate the option of having 100s of games available to me, including all of Xbox’s big hitters, for just 12.99.

Woe is my life.

Gamepass will never be as lame as this thread!

Kaleinc

Banned
I’m playing Persona 3 Reload on my iPad right now while watching the Super Bowl pre-game thanks to Game Pass.
It only means you felt like watching Bowl was a waste of time and decided to play something, playing also wasn't worth it cause you needed to watch some crap

How is gamepass (which is garbage) relevant in this story?

twilo99

No sarcasm or hyperbole: personally for me it is the best thing that happened to gaming in a long time. Whoever curates games for it has great taste - in the last for or five years most of the games on my top20 are/were on gamepass and I still buy lots of games.

Same. Things were pretty stale for me in terms of gaming until I subbed for a 3 months to try it out

Last edited:
Man I am LOVING reading everyones responses and perspective. Its why I am on these boards in the first place. A few additional thoughts I have after reading everyones responses:

Those trials for $1 and just signing up for a month to play the new game you really wanted to is a big part of it and DOES make it a wonderful value…FOR YOU. But that means its a failure as a product for MS and perhaps a big portion of what has led to this weeks eventual announcement of MS going 3rd party after they had put all their eggs and model behind the Gamepass idea.

I am someone who replays games constantly and after all is said and done, if you are in the same position but have gamepass, the games you never fully purchased are all gone once your subscription is ended or…gamepass and xbox hardware ceases to exist. I have a hard time bieng comfortable with that. I used to sell my old games and hardware, only to buy them back years later to play them. I never sell the ones I love anymore.

If gamepass enabled you to play a game that you otherwise wouldn’t have experienced and you fell in love with, I think that single handidly makes it a wonderful thing for us as gamers. But if you dont buy those games you love, isnt that detrimental to gaming?

I have so many thoughts about this, and I think we will get more clarity this week on what Gamepass and its effects have resulted in for the future of MS. Make no mistake, whatever transpires this week IS the result of Gamepass.

Very fascinating times.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It only means you felt like watching Bowl was a waste of time and decided to play something, playing also wasn't worth it cause you needed to watch some crap

How is gamepass (which is garbage) relevant in this story?
Now Persona 3 is garbage? That’s what I was playing.

UnrealEck

Essentially it lets me try games I'm not sure I'll enjoy. I've just subscribed a minute ago just to play Persona 3R. I liked the fifth game but never finished it.
If there's a big name release like Halo, I'll sub just to play that. If there's a game I'd buy on Steam but is on GamePass I'll just sub to the later just to access it at a lower price.

I don't stay subscribed to it. I just dip in now and then usually to try a game or two.

baphomet

It's good if you haven't already played most of the big games from the back catalog on there.

Paying $180 a year to rent 1-2 new games is a fucking joke though.

Roufianos

I subscribe for a month for certain new games, most recently in October for Starfield and then again this month for Yakuza Garden.

I'm never going to be a regular subscriber. The back catalogue has some great games like Gears, Fallout and Mass Effect, but it's not for someone like me who's already played every game I want to on there. I remember I subbed for Wo Long, couldn't beat the first boss, and then couldn't find shit to play.

Also, I buy my games and sell then when I'm done so it's not even like it saves me a lot of money on new releases.

sendit

I'm just glad that the Internet as a whole seems to have dialed back on the whole Game Pass hype thing. It's an ok service with plenty of games, but it just lacks heavy hitters imo. Day one games are the biggest draw but literally the most enjoyment I've gotten out of that promise is Hades and Lies of P. Everything else has been somewhat a disappointment.
Surprising since Microsoft bought half of the industry.

Field

It does little for me.

I buy the games I’m really interested in. Most of them are not on gamepass anyway. And I don’t want to waste time trying out games I’m not or barely interested in which is most of the gamepass catalogue.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The devs get paid for their games being on GamePass.
My point is it creates bad hobbit of Xbox players wont support these Japanese games unless they are on GamePass.

For exmaple, I dont think Unicorn Overlord is on GamePass and I have feeling most Xbox players wont give this game a chance because its not on GamePass.

Top Bottom