• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gameranx: What Made Prototype A BIG DEAL?

SJRB

Gold Member
Never played it because I thought it was just an Infamous clone.

Congrats, you played yourself because Prototype was a great game and a great experience. In many ways probably better than inFamous too.

The story was super basic but the gameplay was excellent. Extreme carnage, awesome powers and abilities, a lot happening on the screen. The way NYC was divided in zones was cool, and especially the areas where infected were pouring into the streets to attack regular people with helicopters overhead and tanks suddenly rolling in shooting indiscriminately into the crowds to keep the infection from spreading were fucking wild.

I had a lot of fun with this game, and its sequel.

Pelao

There is no other game like it. I loved the character mobility, the powers and how edgy everything was, especially the amount of collateral casualties that occurred if you engaged in combat in the middle of a crowded area. I must have replayed it about four times. My favorite part was the halfway point of the story, when the city wasn't completely overrun and you could witness some pretty cool situations with the soldiers fighting the monsters. Prototype 2 failed to recapture the magic, but by god if I hadn't wished Prototype 1 had the tendrils power of 2.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wasn't Prototype almost the same as the Hulk game on n64? As far as I remember they played very similarly.

AndrewRyan

Ridiculously fun game to jump in to wreck some havoc for a few minutes. Has a permanent home on my Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Congrats, you played yourself because Prototype was a great game and a great experience. In many ways probably better than inFamous too.

The story was super basic but the gameplay was excellent. Extreme carnage, awesome powers and abilities, a lot happening on the screen. The way NYC was divided in zones was cool, and especially the areas where infected were pouring into the streets to attack regular people with helicopters overhead and tanks suddenly rolling in shooting indiscriminately into the crowds to keep the infection from spreading were fucking wild.

I agree. It was the combat that did it for me and it was also very gory and bloody. I never played the sequel. I don't think we will ever see any kind of reboot or another game sadly though :/

Umbasaborne

Banned
Look, I was heavily gaming and following the industry when this game came out. Prototype was never a big deal. The most attention it got was “huh, its kinda like infamous”. It sold acceptably and was swimming in 7’s upon release lol

AmuroChan

I played both Prototype 1 and 2. I couldn't tell you a single thing about the story, but I do remember they were fun to play.

Knightime_X

I wish they would remaster 1 and 2.
They look and run like shit even on ps4, plus unplayable on PC due to crashing on start up and other severe issues like 720p limit.

Cyberpunkd

This. Infamous was thrash, and I say this as someone whose only platinum was Infamous 1.

SeraphJan

I would say Protoype controls better than Infamous, very responsive

However Infamous do have overall better quality, but I still enjoy Prototype equally due to how awesome the character controls

Shakka43

Never played it because I thought it was just an Infamous clone.
They came out at the same time so neither was a clone of the other. I didn't enjoy the two Prototype games as much as inFamous but there was still a lot of dumb fun to have with them.

I wish they would remaster 1 and 2.
They look and run like shit even on ps4, plus unplayable on PC due to crashing on start up and other severe issues like 720p limit.

I played the game not too long ago at 1440p ultrawide with no crashes. Can't quite remember if I used any PCGamingWiki tips but it was perfectly playable. The city in the game does indeed look like shit though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom