• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gameranx: What Made Red Dead Redemption 2 A Big Deal?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Red Dead Redemption 2 was a mainstream gaming success with incredibly unique storytelling. Let's take a look back at what made RDR2 such a big deal for us.

Bonus:

RDR2 is full of details and secrets. I've played this game for 750+ hours, yet there's still so much more I haven't found yet. I wanted to show you some that I only recently stumbled into.

Last edited:

ButchCat

OP should've added their piece on this at the very least to make the Gameranx guy easier to digest, I mean it's a thread after all.

You wanna know why OP?

ExemplaryWetHoatzin-max-1mb.gif

Kssio_Aug

I am currently playing it and enjoying a lot. But it seems a bit too long...

What is getting my attention the most is the fact that during travels a lot of unexpected things happen! They really took their time creating tons of little events over the game world, and that makes it very interesting to explore.

The shooting mechanics could have been better though. And I wish I could only hold the button to run with the horse instead of repeatedly mash it.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I've already beaten it twice, once on ps4 pro and once on xbox one x. I play on doing it again. It's my GOTG. It's really amazing.

jaysius

Banned
It wasn’t great, RDR 1 was my Game of the Decade, but god damn they missed almost all the marks on the sequel, bigger isn’t better and it still launched with a ton of shitty issues like aiming problems that took a while to fix.

The characters sucked and it was overly long, all they had to do was rip off Deadwood. R* has lost all of it‘s good writers and character developers. The missions weren’t great, they got repetitive. It’s incredibly overhyped.

BigBooper

The attention to detail, a sequel to the first game with great word of mouth, and that it was a Rockstar game.

It's a very ambitious game, but I played the campaign twice and realized I did not enjoy it. I played first on PS4, and the performance was abysmal. When the PC release came around though people were praising the 60fps and graphics, so I was suckered again. It was better on PC, but the game was still pretty slow, boring, and had poor performance. It felt so slow because of the physics animation priority of the character. It really sucks.

Otre

Banned
Gameranx is fine. Fluff videogame lists are comfortable to me. They do their fair share of spam lists though.

Red Dead 2's slow as snails pace, overly linear mission design and input lag on the other hand, are awful. Still, extremely pretty. I should replay it on the PC at a nice framerate to see If my opinion changes.

Last edited:

mxbison

Great open world and atmosphere, awful gameplay.

I'm sure many people enjoyed it but what made it such a huge deal was mostly media hype.

Wohc

Banned
The gameplay was not the best, but the love for details and that the map had plenty of interesting spots to explore made up for the gameplay. Is 97 a bit high for a game that lacks good gameplay? Yes, but on the other hand there are 85+ open world games that lack both good gameplay and an interesting world.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
A big deal? Not for me. The game looked amazing but was boring to play. Was gutted as i wanted to love it but it was to bland story wise for me personally

Excellent open-world design, lackluster mission design. Great story-telling (well directed, animated and voiced), but the story itself was too long and honestly, I got bored after getting to Saint Denis section. Didn't finish the story in the end.

Last edited:
I need to go back to it, since I dropped it and people say the story is so good. The game was very overwhelming to me, it's hard to explain exactly but that combined with the slow gameplay made me want to play other things.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm still waiting for a price cut. Hoping for $10. I pretty much hate all Rockstar games from GTA IV onwards, but I'll try it for $10.

FingerBang

The problem with this game is that the story doesn't really pick up until chapter 4 and the game is long as fuck. It's great, but it simply takes too long to build. If you're not hooked on the gameplay alone, you'll drop it.

Hugare

Red Dead Redemption 1 made 2 a big deal, of course

2 was such a letdown in so many ways.

1 was better paced, better story and even better gameplay, if I recall

It was trully a masterpiece

radewagon

RDR2 is pretty high up in my "most disappointing games ever" list. It's a clunky boring mess that doesn't respect my time. It's like the Maximum Carnage of the PS4/OneX era. It was hyped up like mad and sold a bunch of copies. Additionally, both games have a good reputation despite being absolutely horrible to play.

ClosBSAS

Yup..after 50hrs of playing I can say this is one of the most overrated games of all time. I gave it a shot,m but it's just not for me. I give rockstar props on the graphics though, I dunno how they do this shit with such limitations in consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When researching for my last video, I came across a bunch of cool details that I'd never seen before. I only wanted to use a handful of them, but a lot of people seemed to like the video so I'm back with some more!

Last edited:
Top Bottom