• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games are approaching CGi of the seventh generation?

HighPoly

Banned
Remember when you first saw the FFXIII CGi Trailer for PS360!

you'd probably imagined that graphics were impossible, even on the next console(PS4).
that's because a few years ago, no games managed to achieve even Final Fantasy Spirit Within, or Advent Children level graphics...

At the time, pubishers needed render farms to make ray tracing a possible thing...
Now, Alan Wake 2 is running Path Tracing, even better in real time, as well...

If Ninja Theory and Kojima Productions are not joking us, DS2 and Hellblade 2 will break another graphic wall!

I mean, I keep dreaming of seeing a game running with the same Assassins Creed Back Flag CGi level...
It seems we're getting closer...

What do you think?

Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome.gif

jSjUpZc.gif

Indeed the studios good at graphics are progressing nicely.

But art style is as important as fidelity for me. The real wow moment and true next gen feeling to date is still Demon's Soul remake. The combination of well baked graphics, particle effects, lights and Dualsense haptic feedback created the true next gen experience for me. Hard to believe it's been four years.

EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ

HighPoly

Banned

But art style is as important as fidelity for me. The real wow moment and true next gen feeling to date is still Demon's Soul remake. The combination of well baked graphics, particle effects, lights and Dualsense haptic feedback created the true next gen experience for me. Hard to believe it's been four years.

EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ
sure!

art style is everything!

but I'd like to see some Japanese studio, using all hardware power to render that same Final Fantasy Art Style, using all resources!!

I mean, is there any possibility of making Advent Children in UNREAL ENGINE 5 today? running on consoles?
or at least on next generation?

imagine all those elements and hardware used to render Hellblade 2 on Xbox Series X, being used to make a kind of CGi movie in real time!
we've got a little bit of this on Matrix Awakens! But the art style are always ocidental, photorealistic...

I mean, how far have consoles gone? Today Resident Evil 2 and 3, surpassed those old pre rendered cutscenes from PSONE.

Final Fantasy CGi seems amazing with those cloth physics and hair physics... Maybe on next gen consoles...

Osaka_Boss

They are evolving, huh. OPs normally relied on the tired Toy Story example for these thread. Now we are into FFXIII. They skipped Tekken and Onimusha intros? They grow up fast :)

HighPoly

Banned
They are evolving, huh. OPs normally relied on the tired Toy Story example for these thread. Now we are into FFXIII. They skipped Tekken and Onimusha intros? They grow up fast :)
Onimusha 3 intro is beautiful, but DS2 and Hellblade 2 will probably surpass...
I don't know what Naughty Dog, SAnta Monica, Sucker Punch and BEND studios are doing...
But games starting from now will use all hardware resources...

No 9th gen game comes close to FFXIIIs CGI. Not even FFXVI. Graphics have stagnated for the most part since about 2016. We won't be getting that level of graphical fidelity until 10th or 11th gen.

HighPoly

Banned
No 9th gen game comes close to FFXIIIs CGI. Not even FFXVI. Graphics have stagnated for the most part since about 2016. We won't be getting that level of graphical fidelity until 10th or 11th gen.
Sure, but we need to understand Square Enix is not the focus graphically speaking...
They are more than stagnated, anyway...

I think NINJA THEORY, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Coalition, Remedy and the next Crysis by Crytek, should be our aim...

But even with HELLBLADE 2 or Alan Wake 2, we're not at FFXIII CGi level...

Maybe on the next gen consoles, using Path Tracing and more higher polygon count to make pretty hair and cloth physics...
I think we need to focus on Hair and Cloth physics on games as much as FF Advent Children did, and it was incredible!

It's not matching current level CGI, but it's pretty close to CGI from the variety of the last 10 years or so. To me, it's a weird contrivance to hold on to at this point so far removed from the release of Toy Story.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
This is my holy grail for in-game:

ezgif-5-e291b5f2da.webp

^ Finger's crossed for next-gen in terms of this specific shot. Just imagine an Ezio Trilogy Remake that actually looks like this.

ezgif-5-2d46886c5f.webp

ezgif-5-4b532ab3cc.webp

---

As with most pre-rendered stuff, cinematic direction and bespoke animation lends it a more natural, organic feel that is hard to practically replicate in a game that needs to be both responsive and consistent... I kinda liken it to the epic, cinematic, hyped-up ads for the Superbowl or the World Cup Final vs the game where it's just a mundane bunch of blobs knocking around a smaller blob.

If you look closely, there are actually some elements in this trailer which are starting to show their age and may have been surpassed. But it's that overall, cohesive presentation paired with the aforementioned cinematic/organic looks that really brings it all together.

Last edited:
But FF16 is not the most graphically impressive console game
Yeah ff16 being the most impressive console game is a joke

It's debateable but I would say it boasts peak 9th gen graphics during eikon fights and cutscenes. During those moments it looks almost indistinguishable from CGI, like a movie. Although FF16s visuals are very inconsistent and are much weaker elsewhere, a lot of the time during exploration segments(like in the hideout) some textures can look like an early PS4 game.

Last edited:
It's debateable but I would say it boasts peak 9th gen graphics during eikon fights and cutscenes. During those moments it looks almost indistinguishable from CGI, like a movie. Although FF16s visuals are very inconsistent and are much weaker elsewhere, a lot of the time during exploration segments(like in the hideout) some textures can look like an early PS4 game.
Its highs don’t look as good as the highs of Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Horizon Burning Shores etc. Even SM2 and Jedi Survivor have equivalent peaks

Its highs don’t look as good as the highs of Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Horizon Burning Shores etc. Even SM2 and Jedi Survivor have equivalent peaks
Id like to see the highs of AW2. I've seen some footage and it doesn't impress me.

Forbidden West's highs definitely aren't on the same level as 16s highs having played both. I doubt the DLC would change that but you can show screenshots if you want.

Spider-Man 2 and Jedi Survivor isn't anywhere near the same level of graphical fidelity as 16s highs. They barely look any better than their 8th gen predecessor as a matter of fact.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ

The reason I bought a PS5. Sad that almost no game since has really come close to it in its detail and art style combined. A few games are definitely more graphically impressive, but are just boring and drab to look at (TLOU1 remake/Horizon).

HighPoly

Banned
This is my holy grail for in-game:

ezgif-5-e291b5f2da.webp

^ Finger's crossed for next-gen in terms of this specific shot. Just imagine an Ezio Trilogy Remake that actually looks like this.

ezgif-5-2d46886c5f.webp

ezgif-5-4b532ab3cc.webp

---

As with most pre-rendered stuff, cinematic direction and bespoke animation lends it a more natural, organic feel that is hard to practically replicate in a game that needs to be both responsive and consistent... I kinda liken it to the epic, cinematic, hyped-up ads for the Superbowl or the World Cup Final vs the game where it's just a mundane bunch of blobs knocking around a smaller blob.

If you look closely, there are actually some elements in this trailer which are starting to show their age and may have been surpassed. But it's that overall, cohesive presentation paired with the aforementioned cinematic/organic looks that really brings it all together.

nice shots!
but I think Assassin's Creed will take a loooooong way to look like those scenes in real time...

We need to consider how complex is making cloth physics, cause clothes firstly needs to me rendered with a extremely high polygonal density...
Then we need to make it react to physics and environment!

I think a linear game like God of War, Gears of War, Uncharted, Last of Us could push that level next gen...
For today, I think we are running PS2 CGi era in real time... Getting close to PS360 CGi era..

HighPoly

Banned
It's not matching current level CGI, but it's pretty close to CGI from the variety of the last 10 years or so. To me, it's a weird contrivance to hold on to at this point so far removed from the release of Toy Story.
Sure!

take a look at what Ratchet Clank Rift Apart did, comparing to Toys Story 2
Maybe some elements in TS2 have more geometry, but Ratchet is full ray tracing, something TS2 didn't...
And Ratchet Clank renders high defnition textures..

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Remember when you first saw the FFXIII CGi Trailer for PS360!

you'd probably imagined that graphics were impossible, even on the next console(PS4).
The only two times i ever thought something was legit hyperreal looking was:
  • 2004: First Unreal Engine 3 screenshots
  • 2006: First Crysis screenshots
After that i fully believed we could attain photorealism.

I remember from those 2004 UE3 shots in a magazine that Tim Sweeney of all people predicted we would see that in 20 years. Which is now. I say we are pretty close, so that was a good prediction on his end.
that's because a few years ago, no games managed to achieve even Final Fantasy Spirit Within, or Advent Children level graphics...
Spoiler, they still don't. Perhaps with Nanite you get close to the polygon counts.

Sprit Within used Photorealistic Renderman with custom shaders (That's your secret sauce) to achieve the look. It was scanline rendering, something games don't do.

Besides if you want an original example, use 1998's Bunny by Blue Sky Studios. That uses CGI Studio, and was one of the first Monte Carlo pathtrace renderers that could do radiosity. Required a Compaq Renderplex machine.

Another good example would be 1984's Adventures of Wally B. Looks a lot like Xbox 360 graphics, right?
What do you think?
I think you need to stop making essentially the same thread. Or heck, even the same post, over and over.
I mean, is there any possibility of making Advent Children in UNREAL ENGINE 5 today? running on consoles?
or at least on next generation?
You can do that. But if it will look the same and be as complex?

Sure!

take a look at what Ratchet Clank Rift Apart did, comparing to Toys Story 2
Maybe some elements in TS2 have more geometry, but Ratchet is full ray tracing, something TS2 didn't...
And Ratchet Clank renders high defnition textures..
Rift Apart is perhaps one of very few examples that actually has a consistent CGI-esque look to it.

Also, just because Ratchet has RT and TS doesn't doesn't make it better by any means.

What you consistently are doing is presenting a incredibly simplistic overview of how rendering works.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I remember from those 2004 UE3 shots in a magazine that Tim Sweeney of all people predicted we would see that in 20 years. Which is now. I say we are pretty close, so that was a good prediction on his end.

Spoiler, they still don't. Perhaps with Nanite you get close to the polygon counts.

Sprit Within used Photorealistic Renderman with custom shaders (That's your secret sauce) to achieve the look. It was scanline rendering, something games don't do.

Besides if you want an original example, use 1998's Bunny by Blue Sky Studios. That uses CGI Studio, and was one of the first Monte Carlo pathtrace renderers that could do radiosity. Required a Compaq Renderplex machine.

Another good example would be 1984's Adventures of Wally B. Looks a lot like Xbox 360 graphics, right?

I think you need to stop making essentially the same thread. Or heck, even the same post, over and over.

Rift Apart is perhaps one of very few examples that actually has a consistent CGI-esque look to it.

Also, just because Ratchet has RT and TS doesn't doesn't make it better by any means.

What you consistently are doing is presenting a incredibly simplistic overview of how rendering works.
the ue3 2004 demo blew my mind.

Best thing? you can download it nowadays!

cinematic direction and bespoke animation lends it a more natural, organic feel that is hard to practically replicate in a game that needs to be both responsive and consistent... I kinda liken it to the epic, cinematic, hyped-up ads for the Superbowl or the World Cup Final vs the game where it's just a mundane bunch of blobs knocking around a smaller blob.
I feel like what you're looking for more are the above two. That first gif might be difficult to do, but that second gif feels possible this gen, graphically. The level of animation would take too long though, and well, not many video game directors know how to do legitimately great cinematic camera work so that would be a big hurdle as well.

People like the OP are the reason why AAA productions are ballooning into the hundreds of millions of dollars. Just keep this into all the other countless graphics related threads you've started.

image.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People like the OP are the reason why AAA productions are ballooning into the hundreds of millions of dollars. Just keep this into all the other countless graphics related threads you've started.

image.png
Welcome to GAF, 90% of the conversation here is about graphics rather than actual games.

This is also why dont see people here talk about games like Unicorn Overlord much, despite having gorgeous artstyle, is not high tech enough for GAF.

HighPoly

Banned

Look what I found

this is much better than FF7 Rebirth! I know cutscenes are amazing, but gameplay has several texture problems!

This is what FF7 Rebirth could be if were using the PS5 max resources...

Do you believe PS6 will be able of making at least FF7 Advent Children? I'm trying to be less demanding...
I'm remembering rumors saying PS6 and Mark Cerny are trying to make the best Ray Tracing machine, Path Tracing whatever...
But in my opinion, They should waste hardware on Physics, Cloth Physics, Hair...

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
the ue3 2004 demo blew my mind.

Best thing? you can download it nowadays!

Well, this time consoles will only make PS2 CGi level

Next Gen consoles will bring us something near to Toy Story 3 and Advent Children, but with another art style...

Well, Gears of War 4 is better than this tech demo, anyway...
Don't you think?

HighPoly

Banned
Games haven't even surpassed FFX CGI
interesting comment!!!

I've thinking about that everytime!
Have we surpassed the FFX CGi graphics? Or at least equivalent?

In some elements I think we have done, when comparing textures definition and motion capture...
But things like geometry or cloth physics, in some PS2 CGi are still superior...

It seems so complex to compare, cause art style changed year after year like, photorealism today is better than 90's and early 2000's CGi era...
Sometimes I think we've reach Final Fantasy Spirit Within level, and sometimes we don't...

What do you think about it? Are we at least running 90's CGi era? like high end PSONE CGi?
Is Hellblade 2 comparable to FFX or FF Spirit Within?

SABRE220

I remember watching this on the ps3 and dreaming of when we could get these visuals translated into real-time. Seeing the massive improvements on the ps3 I was very optimistic about how quickly we would get there but seeing the current rate I fear we might be waiting for a decade or two:/

Last edited:
Top Bottom