• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live Update Released with New Interface

xemumanic said:
How true, and yet totally fucked up and unfair.

.......but wait, whats this gotta do with Steam? You can BUY GFWL games ON Steam.

It's still bundling the actual gateway itself into Windows.

Microsoft got sued for having Internet Explorer in Windows (netscape wasn't too happy). They can easily get sued for bundling in Games for Windows Live.

Like, let's put it this way.

Let's say you had Fallout 3 for sale on both the future GFWL Marketplace and Steam.

GFWL comes bundled with your computer, and is really easy to get to, so many people will go to that and ignore Steam since it's an extra piece of software you have to download and such.

Anyways, I like the new update. It's a bit wierd since you have to click under all of the boxes, but I hope that issue gets fixed soon.

kuYuri

Spruce Moose said:
But.... I plan on buying Dawn of War II, game of the forever on Steam... so what happens there? I'd like to avoid GFWL if I could.

Why would you want to avoid it?

dLMN8R

Iced_Eagle said:
It's still bundling the actual gateway itself into Windows.

Microsoft got sued for having Internet Explorer in Windows (netscape wasn't too happy). They can easily get sued for bundling in Games for Windows Live.

Like, let's put it this way.

Let's say you had Fallout 3 for sale on both the future GFWL Marketplace and Steam.

GFWL comes bundled with your computer, and is really easy to get to, so many people will go to that and ignore Steam since it's an extra piece of software you have to download and such.

Anyways, I like the new update. It's a bit wierd since you have to click under all of the boxes, but I hope that issue gets fixed soon.
I can personally guarantee you that there will not be anything built directly into Windows to facilitate the purchase of games or other applications. At least, not for a very, very long time.

Legal, support, infrastructure, and other costs are simply too vast for it to be worthwhile.

xemumanic

dLMN8R said:
I can personally guarantee you that there will not be anything built directly into Windows to facilitate the purchase of games or other applications. At least, not for a very, very long time.

Legal, support, infrastructure, and other costs are simply too vast for it to be worthwhile.

I didn't realize until later that's what Iced_Eagle is talking about, but its not what I'm talking about. But I understand why a marketplace is a bad idea. dLMN8R is right. That sort of thing is NEVER coming to Windows. MS isn't suicidal.

I don't care about being able to buy games from the interface, I just want the friends list and communication functions that just got updated to be IN the Games Explorer, not any sort of marketplace. I don't want to have to launch a GFWL game just to get to that stuff.

dLMN8R said:

Well, there sort of is in Vista. At least, when you go into Programs and Features there is a link to go to the Windows Marketplace.

I still get what you're saying though, and that's why I'm agreeing with ya.

Top Bottom