• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that gave you IRL injuries

Wouldn't call it injuries, Track & Field II was very hard on the index finger (callus). I used to get blisters from playing Starwing/Star Fox intensely (I played that game an insane amount of times, back in 1993). And lots of 2D fighting games of course, like Street Fighter II.

gifgaf

I pulled a muscle in my arm playing Sparc on the PSVR when it first came out.
I had repetitive strain injury from spamming Q and E playing wow when I used to raid hardcore, that was not fun.
I remember getting a blister in the palm of my hand playing boxing on the Atari 2600 when I was a kid due to spinning the joystick with the palm of my hand.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Idk how I forgot Knockout League on PSVR.

Legit couldn't walk right for about a week. I destroyed my body.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Got a thumb blister by playing Mazan in the arcades
Oh, blisters count! I got them all the time in the arcades playing stuff like gauntlet or cadillacs and dinosaurs, whatever was intense, even SF2. Had to pop them and they were full of a clear fluid but thankfully didn't really hurt. Good times :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Geki-D

Banned
Said this in the worst controller thread, but my poor, poor thumb playing MvC2 on DC with that sharp D-pad.

Bakkus

Some DS games made my thump hurt a lot due to DSi's small d-pad (Looking at you, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime), but I can't recall any injuries.

Punched my closet door hard, hurt my knuckles, playing SuperHot VR on the PSVR. Where do I sue?

And I am pretty sure I have blistered my thumb a lot playing Street Fighter II on my SNES, back int he day and other SF game son PS one and the PS2.

Those old SNES and PlayStation D-Pads were merciless on my soft teenage thumbs while doing countless Dragon punches and hadoukens

Last edited:

Susurrus

Dance Dance Revolution gave me shin splints a few times, also once when i misjudged a step on a faster song and fell off the stage and scraped myself up (I played on Expert/Maniac back in the days when bar rape was frowned upon, also did a bit of doubles mode). Nothing broken though.

Same goes for me, but with Dragon Ball Z Budokai (pushing each others energy back and forth) and Monster Hunter [series] (arm wrestling) Palm blisters and bleeding, lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In the early 2000s I download a MAME copy of that old Track & Field arcade game. I mashed the buttons so much over evenings rolling over the events I got very sore hands and wrists for days. I think I rolled over the game so much I actually quit or eventually lost in the high jump. I was shitting thinking what if this is serious carpel tunnel syndrome since I had never had sore hands from gaming ever.

It went away later in the week.

Salvatron

Not really an injury, but this game is a serious workout.
I was on a long trip via greyhound and had like a 30 minute stop at one station. It was the middle of the night.. tons of shady people around.. but they had a small arcade section in between the station and the attached convenience store. There was an arcade game called Police 911.
118124215214.jpg

It's a light gun game.. but this one also tracks the players posture... So to move behind cover, you physically crouch or move to the side. It was a really fun game. Spent like 20 minutes playing. Ran out of quarters so I go to sit and wait for my bus. Bus arrives and I found could barely stand upright because I was inadvertently doing tons of rapid squats whilst playing.

Also.. mgs torture mashing.

Tesseract

Banned
i guess mario party 64 2 or some shit, that stupid ass mini game with the shy guy

i shredded my palm to pieces

Last edited:

Arun1910

ha how did that work?

It must have just been how fast the game was going and just some response I had as a kid. Can't remember if it was even the full game or a demo I was playing on my PS2 but I doubt I ever finished it. Not a problem now I've grown up (fast images that is, never will play a sonic game again)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I was also a victim of Mario Party's analog stick rotation.

Stimpak

Star fox adventures for the Nintendo GameCube.

There was a strength trial where you had to rotate the joystick really fast to beat this other buff dinosaur.

Broke the controller and blistered up my palm from rotating that fucking stick too fast.

Beat the game though :D

Top Bottom