• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that have bad menus or UI

Pensé

Neo Member
Pro Evolution Soccer games, the UI is slow, SLOW as hell from the menu to ingame replays.

(still better than Gran Turismo 5 though)

digdug2k

Breath of the Wild is a great game but it has two pause buttons each with seperate tabs and functions.

170 hours in and that shit is still confusing.

Like, why would you ever do that?
Lol. Was going to write the same. Vestiges of "Hey this was designed to use the tablet, but doesn't."

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No mans sky is terrible

i actually really like it but i do hate using it with a keyboard/mouse. each time i change the page the cursor automatically goes back to the center of the screen. and i still need to hold the mouse button to click on something. it's more suited for a controller.

Zushin

LotRO had really bad menus imo. At least when I played it last, 4 or 5 years ago.

Small fonts, endless menus within menus.

Breath of the Wild is a great game but it has two pause buttons each with seperate tabs and functions.

170 hours in and that shit is still confusing.

Like, why would you ever do that?
To be honest it seems to me like a vestigial decision. Wouldn't surprise me one was always supposed to be on the wii u tablet screen.

Then they decide to not use it, and then there was the switch port.

Edit: doh see two posts up :(

nOoblet16

Any game on console that has a "cursor" style of navigation, examples like Steep, Destiny and No Man's Sky. So much slower than just selecting the item you want to select

Actually it's not always the case and bad by default. The UI in Destiny would be A LOT slower if it weren't for the cursor.

I originally hated it and thought there's no place for cursor style UI on consoles but after playing 1000+ hours of Destiny I can't see a non cursor based UI being as effective and fast at doing what the UI in Destiny does.

Keep in mind Destiny's UI won an actual award for its design.

Orpheum

I think someone already posted this, but I'll still repeat. Dark Souls

I love the game to death but the Inventory/Item equipment screens are god awful. It made me skip reading lore descriptions entirely and completely rely on Youtube for that.

Mass Effect: Andromeda's overdesigned UI isn't the best in terms of functionality (the sorting tabs are actually really nice though):
500-8-1503087453.png

500-6-1503087456.png

500-2-1503087461.png
Also, for some reason, it shrinks the button icons for controllers, which is fucking stupid, since most people are going to be a few feet away from their TV.

XCOM 2 overall has good UI, but the health UI and subtitle display is godawful:
The health bar is made out of tiny pips that get smaller and smaller as health values increase, making it impossible to read how much health higher end enemies have. There's a reason people consider Numeric Health Display a must have mod.

The subtitle display box in the top right corner is fine on PC, but if you've got it hooked up to a smaller TV and are sitting a few feet away, that shit is unreadable... and there's no font size options.

Pensé;246577574 said:
Pro Evolution Soccer games, the UI is slow, SLOW as hell from the menu to ingame replays.

(still better than Gran Turismo 5 though)

PES is always the game I think of when a discussion about bad UIs comes up. Its horrible, and isn't improving anywhere near fast enough. Its still about 15 years behind the curve

Skyrim

First PC games that made me go out and grab a mod to fix something without ever playing the game before. It's utterly tedious to use on KB/M because they thought a text-only XMB-style menu would still be good once you have several items.

In any game that has a deep menu (basically any RPG) I want a button that instantly closes all the way out of the menu. I also never understand why some games have laggy menus or load time for the menu.

LeleSocho

Banned
Every Smash Bros game after Melee is some sort of evil punishment

Why even change from this perfection?
mjbowBj.jpg

On the left you have all your choices and on the right you have a preview of the submenu... simple, elegant, understandable, perfect.

Top Bottom