• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that make you puke.

balgajo

There was a sonic game with some 3d perspective that made me want to throw up. I think it was a mega drive game.

Sijil

Not puking but games like god of war, Devil May Cry give me a headache, makes my eyes sore, probably the colour pallet.

zeromuX

Neo Member
Remembered playing the original Wolfenstein for hours on end way back then on my dad's old work PC and i was so nauceaus to the point of puking but still i kept on playing out of sheer enjoyment. :)

Miguel81

Weird answer that'll probably get me a lot of flak but... Mode 7 on SNES. It's one of the only video game perspectives that I ever found disorienting or really visually unpleasant.

I got nauseous from those M7 levels in Contra III. Jumping from side-scrolling to those bits was extremely unpleasant.

Edit: Half-Life 2 also got me pretty bad like a lot of other folks.

orioto

Good Art™
I never had any problem with the Oculus until i tried that demo with the eagle fly, eeeewwww i actually almost literally puked.

The majority of FPSs make me queasy, some immediately (after a few minutes), others I can play for about 30 to 60 minutes until I (would) have to puke.

Some I can play with no problems whatsoever.

One really weird fact is that although Half-Life makes me puke its mod Counter-Strike never did.

Some examples for games that make me ill in a few minutes:
Rise of the Triad, Unreal Tournament series, Half-Life 1&2

FPSs I can play for 30-60 minutes before I get ill:
Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1&2, Bioshock

FPSs I can sometimes play with no problems while on other days I get queasy after a while:
Duke Nukem 3D, Halo series, Quake III Arena

First person games I can play with no problems at all (and thus enjoyed a lot):
Quake, GoldenEye 64, Unreal 1&2, Counter-Strike, Metroid Prime, Far Cry, Racing games

Keasar

Any game when using the old 3DS 3D slider at any level. Didn't puke but got extreme headaches and was close to at times when trying it out.

New 3DS I seem to not have the same problems with.

SPCTRE

I've never tried it, but playing any handheld game in a moving car would most likely make me sick in no time, judging from what happens when I try to read.

Then again, these days when I'm in a moving car, I'm most likely the driver.

Vuze

Pretty much anything where your POV is suddenly upside-down. The magnet boot segments in Ratchet & Clank and GTAV flight school (most recent experience) come to mind. Also low FOV in Third Person games, Dead Rising 3 was pretty bad.

This happens with virtually all shooters. I think Battlefront, Halo, and Team Fortress were the only ones I could ever play extensively.

glaurung

I haven't really tried eating any games, so I don't know which would make me puke.

3DS cartridges would more likely just cause a bowel obstruction or something.

On a more serious note, none of the movement in games has caused me to feel bad or nauseous. Even the radical extremes like Turok 2 on PC. The only time I can remember feeling slightly out of balance was playing the fast-paced Descent 2 on a huge-ass screen at some point. Simply because your could turn the world upside-down all the time, it was really disorienting and required extra amounts of focus.

Staab

First felt it on Half-Life 2 as well, couldn't get through the game at all, barely 20minutes and I would feel really sick. I put it down to low fps (had an old PC) and just never went back.
But then it happened again in the new Tomb Raider and then in Uncharted 2 (funnily enough not in Uncharted 1).

Never really got around to figuring out exactly what it was that caused it (motion sickness related obviously) but I did manage to find a solution :
I now use a little sticker, like the size of a thumb, and nail it exactly in the middle of the screen.
What this does is give you a static point of reference that allows your mind to feel detached from the scenes of the game and thus not get the effects of sickness.
Allowed me to go through TR and Uncharted 2/3 without much problems !

It's a bit frustrating but I hope it doesn't eventually happen in VR too as I would really like to have a headset for Star Citizen and the likes...

whoszed

Only way I could get that strong a reaction is maybe VR, and the only reason I suspect this is that one time playing Mario Kart 8 on the gamepad I felt a tiny bit nauseous. Didn't stop me from playing the game or anything.

I've never had a game make me sick by motion sickness.

But I used to get headaches from Team Fortress 2's stock hit sound effect before I changed it to Quake hit sounds.

Why they chose that sound is beyond me, its such an ear splitting horrible "ding" noise, especially on multiple hits. Playing Heavy or Pyro with it is like torture.

xrnzaaas

Colin McRae DiRT... the amount of bloom Codemasters used almost made me sick. It's a shame, because it was a good game.

sephiroth7x

Not a problem for me but I remember one of my friends playing Mirrors Edge at mine once to try the game out and after maybe 15 minutes he started feeling really sick and nearly passed out...

Isn't it a form of motion sickness that depending on the game can have an adverse effect on you?

Woffls

Hmm, I find that I get a slight headache when I play some games at 60+fps all day for a few days in a row - but nothing quite as severe as actual sickness, for which I am very thankful.

ash_ag

I don't think Half Life's (and Portal's, and to a lesser extent TF2's) problem is FOV. To me at least, FOV makes no difference in terms on comfort. It's the camera controls that become an issue at times.

I found out that playing with a controller helps a lot. I'm not used to playing using KB/mouse at all, which may have to do with it.

gelf

I will get headaches sometimes. Its almost always from FPS games. The worst for me are either fast paced shooters or the weirder Portal platforming sections where the portal transition can really mess with my head. I can't nail down why I don't get on with the shooters as its not all of them.

Its not a framerate thing for me that's for sure. I'm pretty tolerant of low framerates and my worst headaches have come mostly from PC games.

Ah, I have the same problem. Almost all first person view games that I play that put us in the shoes of the player make me really sick and if I play too long I throw up. I've noticed even if it's a third person view game, if I walk into a really narrow corridor, I get really sick. I think Descent was the first game that made me very sickly. It certainly is weird. I can't last playing Bioshock Infinite for like 8 minutes, but I can marathon the entire game of Vanquish. I've also been playing Driveclub recently in first person, but that doesn't make me sick.

The things I find interesting is that adding motion blur like in Crysis helps prolong my game time. Changing the FoV also helps me, but man once I walk into a corridor it screws me up.

Also, the blur in Final Fantasy Type-0 HD doesn't make me sick, but damn it seems like a ridiculous unnecessary thing to have in the game.

Shari

None in recent history. Latest game that did that to me was Wolfenstein 3D after playing for about 4 hours straight nonstop, like 15 years ago.

monochr0m3

Neo Member
The zero-gravity zone in the first Dead Space. I had to close the game after a while, made me dizzy for hours.

Also first dev-kit of Oculus Rift, made me almost puke everytime I wear it. The worst part, I need to wear it a lot since it was the topic of my thesis.

DeaviL

Banned
Absolutely nothing.
Killzone 3 made me nauseous for a short while until i got used to it.

Still don't know why.

Oddly enough, only Crysis 2 has had this effect on me and only when I watched someone else play. I have no issues with other shooters.

Big Blue on 200cc in Mario Kart 8 made me slightly nauseous, with it twisting waterslides.

Baleoce

Early 3D platforms with very low texture. Jak 1, I can literally play for 30mins before I need to stop and lay down.

Auctopus

Awesomenauts Assemble for some reason, I played it for a week or two and there was just something sorta disturbing about it.

I was ill when I first played Dark Souls 2, and there's something about that games lighting, especially in Majula that would I describe as 'sickly'.

Garruson

Evil Within, nothing technical, just felt extremely stressed playing it, couldn't wait to hear the next safe room music or go into a daylight mission

I'm sensitive to framerates and unconventional FOVs, so this is a genuine concern to me. Thus far four games have made me horribly ill to the point of throwing up. Half Life 2 and its FOV was the sneakiest one, because I'm OK for a while when I play, but I'm guaranteed to have a stabbing headache later that day. It took me a while to figure out the cause of this one.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), Ghostbusters (PS3) and Lords of Shadow (PS3) were more traditional and overt in their assault. They don't just have a low framerate, but also a highly fluctuating one. I can't play these games without needing a bucket. It's not always easy to avoid games like it, since documentation of framerates is often non-existent, or mired in insecure FUD of people who don't know what they're talking about.

I get pretty nauseated when I play most FPS games on PC. Something about the FOV, FPS, and look speed options I can never get right.

I remember feeling unwell when I had to start farming helium in Destiny. Like I had made some pretty bad life choices, and it make me physically ill.

I also recall buying The Simpsons Wrestling and feeling so much regret that I felt unwell. (I had spent all my money on it. I was 10)

Red Hood

Banned
header.jpg

I thought it was because of 60fps being "way too smooth and fast", but after having switched over to PC a year ago and after having played lots of games at 60fps, I think it was likely the FOV. I literally cannot play Rage (on the PS3), it physically makes me nauseous.

steine

Neo Member
Metro: Last Light
Bioshock 2 (I really don't know why this one made me feel sick while the other 2 didn't)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

kapowza

the boss of the first disc of FF8 (Edea on the parade float) made me chunder. It had a weird blur effect that wasn't on any of the others.

DryvBy

Using the Oculus Rift DK2 was rough at first. It was great until I loaded Half-Life 2 and tried to jump up the first area. It made me lay down for a bit.

Bioshock & Borderlands for me. Its a combination of the fov, artstyle and camera wobbling when walking slowly(mostly for bioshock).

Ashler

The only video game that's every made me me feel a bit sick was Resident Evil 5, and I'm used to playing fast paced on-line shooters like quake.

I think it had to do with the positioning of the camera so close to the character in third person.

Top Bottom