• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games which are far too long for their own good

RaZoR No1

Persona games - I mean I love them and they are great but do they really need to be 100 hours long ? Cutting them down to 60-70 wouldn't hurt.
I agree, but not completely. On P3 and P4, as soon you somehow maxed out the social links or have progressed a lot, the games were a bit repetitive and the day/normal time became a bit boring.
IMO on P5 everything was packed nicely and I really enjoyed every second of the game.
Definitely need to play P5R.

Back to the topic:
Alien Isolation: one of the games, where I really thought, why do we have so much backtracking and the game could be much shorter. The longer I played, the more I lost the interest to continue further.

Valkyria Revolution: game was meh. Probably one of the reasons I thought it was too long...

I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Valhalla at the moment and dear God how long the story is.

Just playing through the main quests and not doing much else there are 16 territories of the UK all which need to be won over. Each territory has it's own quest line (with horrible writing I must say) which takes 2-3 hours each.

I'm about 30 hours and eight territories in and I honestly think I'm done with the game. It's repetitive, the story is trash and it's dragging out far too much for it's own good, there's no reward to continuing with the game, everything good about the game has worn off.

I was quite excited when Ubisoft said you could play through the story of Valhalla without doing much of the side content (something which was nowhere near possibly in Origins and Odyssey) but in return the main story seems to be full of side content that's never ending. Huge shame what the series has become in my eyes.

Anyway, what other games have suffered being far too long?

Red Dead Redemption 2

Like putting my balls in a blender

It's a shame many great games are so diluted, otherwise i'd replay the shit out of them

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I find most games to be this way TBH, this is exactly why gameplay and story are the most important aspects of video games, not the shiny graphics - after like 4-6h you already saw everything the game has to offer gameplay-wise, literally everything, and from there on it's up to the story to keep you hooked into the game and continue playing it until you see the the closing edits. Or vice versa - the gameplay is so dull, boring, sometimes even exhausting, that no matter how good everything else is, you eventually drop the game before you even get halfway through it. And frankly, which isn't even a secret, most people nowadays abandon the games before they finish them, barely anyone cares to see the end, because either the story or the gameplay aren't worth the time, sometimes both even.

Forsythia

I just finished this game a few days ago. It was part of Gamepass EA. This game was padded beyond belief. The last 5 or 6 hours I kept muttering at my screen for the game to just END already.
I don't know if I would go as far as to call it Trash but it did have some serious flawed design choices. I still want to see a 3rd game assuming Asylum is still being worked on.

The problem with the game is that there are too few mechanics and it feels like all of them are introduced in the first hour. The rest of the game is just enjoying the scenery. The first game was better.

If a game is enjoyable it can't be too long. Take Tales of the Abyss: its ridiculously long with many bullshit dungeons yet I liked every minute of it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For me, I think the sweet spot is 6-8 hours. Anything more than that and I lose interest. Miles Morales was the perfect length I would say.
RE4 imo had the perfect length. Takes around 15 hours the first time and then around 10-12 when you know you're way around. Also it has high replayability.

For RPGs I'd like to throw in the first Mass Effect as perfect length example. Takes around 40 hours or so to do everything. That is how it should be.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
This game was padded beyond belief. The last 5 or 6 hours I kept muttering at my screen for the game to just END already.
I don't remember that at all. Gotta replay I guess.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
All of em these days. I miss games that were meant to be replayed rather than just eternally played.
I found a lot of joy in the RE3 remake this year. My first playthrough was about 10 hours or so, but then the incentives for multiple playthroughs were very enticing, so I played it through another 7-8 times clocking about 50 hours total in the game. Love that approach, but I think it takes a lot of careful planning and thought to make that click. And it seems it didn't really click for everyone given the lackluster reviews.

Anyway, I'll throw in another vote for Alien Isolation. It's one of my favorite games from last gen but I never beat it because it just became too much.

saintjules

I've never minded a games length. I like getting my money's worth.

I agree. However, these duplicate sidequests found in games like AC - I just never understand why Developers want to make games bloated than they need to be.

I wouldn't mind if there was lesser side content and make them more meaningful storyline wise. I guess a younger me would love to drown myself in all these sidequests because back then it was harder to buy multiple games to play. Now I have too many lol.

Last edited:

Valonquar

So many peeps in this thread complaining about the best games ever made being to long. SMH. I've had a lot of friends complain that FFXIV was too long even with skipping cut-scenes. Everyone has different patience levels I know but goddamn. I feel like most games these days, including open world ones are actually short if you just play the storyline. If you want to include games that doing EVERYTHING in them makes them too long, then yeah, that's like every game now. You'd have to play 1k+ hours to do "everything" in most JRPGs like Tales series and SAO.

Nester99

Playing Valhalla now. 38 hours in.
Feels like i am not even progressing, just doing the same area missions for a new master each time.

Hope it picks up.

Oh ya and RDR2...omg just end already

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Last of Us 2 - game has like two news things you can do in comparison with the first one, but has doubled the size of everything. A 10 hour campaign is enough, guys
Red Dead Redemption 2 - the game is great in the first half, than is basically just downhill from there. Could end in chapter 6 or something. Also, the prologue as a mandatory thing doesn't work
Final Fantasy VII Remake - what the fuck was that robot hand stuff?
Shenmue saga - why do I need to wait for the real time in the game? Does the developers never heard of a mechanic that passes the time more quickly?!
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - game is incomplete, so of course you have to wait in the real world like half an hour to make a new gadget, and there's more of those. Also, doing the same missions to progress makes sense, and rescuing people that have no objective in the story is no filler. Great design, guys

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the prologue as a mandatory doesn't work

The prologue turned me off from RDR2 for so long. I finally forced myself to play through it and then put the game down. I haven't picked it up since.

Top Bottom