• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Gold for February

Concern

Thats their best GWG lineup in months. Not enough to hide the price increase news.

Not really tbh. Gears 5 has been played to death off Gamepass lol. I mean if you have gold and no Gamepass.... wtf are you doing?

This is where people should start voicing their displeasure on Twitter/reddit or whatever to get a point across. Because if not, we'll see Sony follow suit soon.

Codes 208

That said I’m not defending this shit in particular. Speak with your wallets. They tried to fuck people over with windows games on vista and now they’re doing again with xbl. If people actually buy into this there’s a good chance sony will follow suit

Last edited:

sainraja

This is a bad move, I think. Why raise prices of the monthly options? I wonder if the number of people subscribing to gamepass & gamepass ultimate isn't where they expected it to be and people started using the 3-6 month subs for online? Looks like they are not re-introducing the year gold at $120 though. Game Pass Ultimate having online play included definitely makes that a lot more attractive.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not really tbh. Gears 5 has been played to death off Gamepass lol. I mean if you have gold and no Gamepass.... wtf are you doing?

This is where people should start voicing their displeasure on Twitter/reddit or whatever to get a point across. Because if not, we'll see Sony follow suit soon.
Its not just gears 5. The other games on that list are of a much higher quality than a lot of stuff they have been giving out. Dandara is fantastic and REmake is quite good as well.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That price hike.
The Office Smile GIF
[/I]

TheZink

So are we expecting Gamepass to go up in price also or is this just a move to get everyone on gamepass?

I’ve held an active gold subscription for a long time just to occasionally play Halo. Not doing that anymore when my sub runs out, $120 (probably more in CAD) a year to play MCC for maybe 30-50 hours? Lol no thanks.

Microsoft is such a shit company and absolutely adds no value to gaming, I’ve been saying this for years and I will continue to say it, all they do is make it worse. So many terrible practises in the gaming industry started with this company.

Last edited:

Concern

Its not just gears 5. The other games on that list are of a much higher quality than a lot of stuff they have been giving out. Dandara is fantastic and REmake is quite good as well.

Not familiar with dandara and I missed REmake (own already anyway).

mrmeh

It made little sense for anyone to be paying £6.99 for Gold when Game pass Ultimate is £10.99 and Includes Gold? anyone here just have Gold and not Gamepass Ultimate?

Fbh

So are we expecting Gamepass to go up in price also or is this just a move to get everyone on gamepass?
Nah, this definitely seems like a move to make Gamepass more attractive. Now just gold is expensive enough that it makes sense to spend a bit more and go with gamepass ultimate.

Wonder if Sony is going to follow suit
I think they'll carefully look at reactions to this and will decide based on that.
Maybe not a raise to $120 but I wouldn't be surprised with a raise to $80-90

Specially since the overall reaction to this will probably be the usual one. People being like "Wow fuck you....I'll still pay you....but how dare you!?!?!....no but seriously please take my money"

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is a really anti-consumer move by Microsoft. It’s clear why they have done it; $9.99 for Gold and $9.99 for Game Pass or $14.99 Game Pass Ultimate?

The issue I have is that the value of Game Pass Ultimate speaks for itself. Gold, Game Pass, Game Pass PC, EA Play and xCloud. Instead of simply letting the service do the talking, they are trying to railroad existing Gold members in to paying for GPU.

I can’t even mince my words. This is pure shithousery.

I’m subscribed to GPU until December 2023. There will be times when I allow my GPU subscription to lapse. I can categorically say that I won’t be paying an increased amount just for Gold.

You can’t avoid the direct comparison; for online play only it’s now $120 for a year on Xbox and $60 on PlayStation.

How this has been greenlit when they are still recovering from the reputational damage from Matrick and the Xbox One, I simply do not know.

Really love my Series S, but if they don’t revise this policy or scrap the Gold fee entirely by December 2023, I’ll build a PC and scrap Xbox.

I’m from the UK, but I’m assuming we’ll be getting a matching price rise.

What a shit thing to do 2 months after launch.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Wow it has been 18 years? Feels old man

A price hike after that long is justified, at least this stops the worries that M$ is money hatting their way up. 🤷‍♀️

Look, SX and PS5 are not cheap consoles to build, i wont be surprise they are taking millions of losses up front this round.

With both companies' stocks at or near all time high, they need ways to increase earnings.

dollar bet that Sony will follow the hike, within the next 6 months. 🤙

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

A price hike after that long is justified, at least this stops the worries that M$ is money hatting their way up. 🤷‍♀️

Look, SX and PS5 are not cheap consoles to build, i wont be surprise they are taking millions of losses up front this round.

With both companies' stocks at at or near all time high, they need ways to increase earnings.
Not the first price hike by any means.

I think Gamepass Ultimate is a good deal (if you actually make good use of it) but that is way too much for Gold imo.

I've never paid full price for Gold/Gamepass or PS+ and have them both maxed out for 3 ish years so I just keep my eye out for cheap deals and top up when I see a good deal which is the best thing to do if you don't want to be ripped off.

KAL2006

Banned
Some GAFers and insiders told me Gold will be free so let's wait surely these people are right. This is just a distraction for Microsoft's true intentuon of giving Gold away for free, because they don't care about business and like to make fans happy according to that locked thread where we had posters believe they will give Gold away for free.

Also I haven't kept up do Microsoft charge for F2P online games still?

sircaw

Banned
This is not good, in fact this is terrible as i am sure Sony will also see this and adjust there prices too.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Gotta say, I am really dissapointed with price hike. They bettter not touch the pricing on GamePass, if they don't, I don't really give a shit tho...

Fredrik

holy shit, this is a terrible move.

I understand they're basically saying "just join gamepass" but good lord.
I can’t see any scenario where the Gamepass subscription price isn’t increased as well. It’ll happen.

$120/year to play online.
Add that over a generation of 7 years and you’ll have payed $840 for online gaming.
Add the console for $500.
Add an upgrade in 3 years for another $500..
= $1840

Is console gaming still cheap? Doesn’t look like it for me. I will have payed less for my 3080 rig. For real.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is not good, in fact this is terrible as i am sure Sony will also see this and adjust there prices too.
I truly hope they don’t.

The issue is that Microsoft doubling the price, Sony could increase there’s by ‘only’ $20 a year and still look like the good guys.

demigod

With both companies' stocks at or near all time high, they need ways to increase earnings.

dollar bet that Sony will follow the hike, within the next 6 months. 🤙
How much you wanna bet? I bet you Sony won’t double the price in 6 months.

tuco11

Still get 12 month gold $59.99 on Amazon. just got one. Good until 8/7/2022. This does question on whter I should get a series X . I am not a Gamepass guy. Just dont have the time for that many games. Was going to once the Dems give me that extra sweet $1400 in stimulus lol

MilkyJoe

I was keeping Gears 5 for series x , so that's a result. Indiana Jones too. Nice.

Nor those moaning about the Gold, it's still cheaper on CD keys

ClosBSAS

Meh cheap shit...just made lots of miney selling an apartment....gonna spend some nice moolah on a 3090 and all these subs

I might have missed this when people are saying gold is $120 a year. If I buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VBWIP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
will it not work? Why would I buy 2 6 month cards over a year card for the same price? Do they sell $120 yearly cards?

When MS says "If you’re an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there’s no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price." how does that fit in the price hike narrative? Raising the price sucks but I'm trying to see how this really affects people.

Kokoloko85

MS being MS.... Its not like they need money. They started the whole pay to play online.

Remember when netflix was behind a paywall? lol.

ethomaz

Banned
I might have missed this when people are saying gold is $120 a year. If I buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VBWIP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
will it not work? Why would I buy 2 6 month cards over a year card for the same price? Do they sell $120 yearly cards?

When MS says "If you’re an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there’s no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price." how does that fit in the price hike narrative? Raising the price sucks but I'm trying to see how this really affects people.
Old keys are still being sold at old prices until the batch ends.
So it will probably makes a lot of Xbox gamers buy several keys before it get out of stock.

Old keys are still being sold at old prices until the batch ends.
So it will probably makes a lot of Xbox gamers buy several keys before it get out of stock.
And your spin on this? "If you’re an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there’s no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price." Is this horrible news?

reforen

the price increase has been officially confirmed? I know there are some gift card pictures around the net but also there are people saying the increase is in specific regions, is there any official communication by MS?

Top Bottom