• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You Quit - 2024 Edition

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes, things just don't work out. What games did you give up on in 2024? Let us know the game, how long you toughed it out, and why you gave up on it. The more detail you can give, the better. Maybe someone else here can convince you to pick it back up - or your cautionary tale can prevent others from treading where you've already gone.

Thanks to bender bender for the idea!

cormack12

Gold Member
2024 just started though.

Last year I gave up on Hogwarts, Star Wars, Starfield, Cyberpunk (again), Robocop, Dead Space, Avatar and Alan Wake 2.
Go Away GIF

bender

What time is it?
2024 just started though.

Last year I gave up on Hogwarts, Star Wars, Starfield, Cyberpunk (again), Robocop, Dead Space, Avatar and Alan Wake 2.

The idea would be a companion thread to the "52 Game Challenge" and "Games You Bought" threads where you claim a post and track the games you gave up on in 2024 either because you didn't want to finish them (single player, games with no ending) or grew tired of them (multiplayer or service games). And if we had a standard list format for the quit games, we could do some data mining and have some awards like "GAF's most quit game", "GAF's biggest quitter", etc..

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shame #1 - Ender Lillies: Quietis of the Knights - 4.5 hours played
I got this on the Switch physically, because I heard it was a really solid Metroidvania game. While I did enjoy the first few hours quite a bit, I soon hit up against a skill wall that I just wasn't able to overcome. There was a boss (the witch) that I just couldn't get past for the life of me - I tried grinding levels, I even skipped that boss and went to the next (and beat him), but finally hit a point where I needed to beat the witch to continue. Some of the bosses moves were 1-hit KOs. I tried for over an hour to beat the boss, finally looked up a Youtube tutorial where someone beat the witch at level 5 (I was level 41), and I said "fuck it, I'm out". Game is too hard for me to complete.

Shame #2 - Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 5.5 hours played
I bought this when I had a long weekend and needed something to play. This was before Palword came out, and I was looking for something to fill the gap waiting for Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth to drop. I enjoyed the demo, so picked up the full game. While I generally enjoyed what I played of it, it didn't make enough of an impact on me to want to keep going. Shame, I should have just subbed to Ubi+ for a month and saved the money.

Shame #3 - Dragon Quest Treasures - 7.0 hours played
I'm usually a huge fan of Dragon Quest games and their spin-offs, but this one just didn't grab me. I read online "oh, just stick with it, it eventually gets really good", but after 7 hours I feel like I've given it more than its fair shake. I think the biggest problem I have with this game is that the progression is just too damn slow. Furthermore, I think they could have made a 10-hour spin-off, but instead it's stretched out to a 30-hour game. Lots of padding. Too much for me.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Robocop, I just deleted it. I enjoyed the gunplay for the first hours, but then everything started to feel repetitive. Even the footstep sound started to be annoying. Didn't care about the glaring AA, characters nor the story. I also hate loading screens for interiors, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
In the 12 Games thread I shared that I'd started Deathloop, but I've since dropped it. I don't think it does anything particularly well, and some aspects, like the enemy AI and the writing, are just awful. The AI is some of the worst I've seen in any AAA game, and is probably why the game is so ridiculously easy (there's really no dying in this time loop). There's some novelty in how the game mixes together mechanics that other games mastered before it, but I'd much rather play a fantastic FPS or a fantastic time loop game than a time loop FPS that doesn't handle either mechanic particularly well. It didn't help that its time loop couldn't hold a candle to another game I played recently, Outer Wilds.

Godot25

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West - It's just Ubisoft open world formula in pretty and kinda interesting world. I hated how Aloy just won't shut up. If this was semi-open world game in vein of God of War I would probably continue to play, but there is no way I'm going through this boring open world. I ditched Zero Dawn and then tried Forbidden West in hopes that it will be miles better. It wasn't.

SCB3

Signalis is getting very very close, the whole game loop is "collect keys to unlock big door for next area" 3 times, the atmosphere and story are saving it but my god is it such a Silent Hill inspired game in too many ways

MiguelItUp

Last year I gave up on Alan Wake 2 and Hogwart's Legacy. I guess I kind of did on Have a Nice Death as well. What's odd is that I don't do that often at all, so for whatever reason those games just didn't sit with me. I think the last gamed that did that to me before those was Gotham Knights and Control.

Hopefully this year it doesn't happen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Both Hogwarts and Starfield became crushingly boring.

Spider-man 2's story was fucking dreadful.

Those are the only games I got into in any meaningful way and gave up in 2023.

Fredrik

Wouldn’t say I’ve quit but I have stopped playing Baldur’s Gate 3 for now.

Some details. I mostly think it plays too slow. Too many choices and icons and menus. I only have 1-2 hours per day to play games, often less, and I just feel like it takes forever to progress when I can’t do anything fast. Combat, looting, traversal, everything is slow.

To not just be negative. The sense of playing an actual roleplaying game is probably the best I’ve ever experienced during my 40 years as a gamer.

Further details. My main character is a sorcerer, maybe that’s the problem. There are so many ways to tackle things. I’ve met Withers so I’m considering swapping to a Barbarian for faster melee action. I like Karlach, she’s the only one who gets things done, rushing up to start bonking.

But for now I’m taking a break.

tmlDan

i don't quit games, even if they're boring i finish them.
I paid for it im gonna play it, thats all there is to it.

The games i didnt play and bought (MK1) i still plan on playing

El Muerto

Like a Dragon Gaiden. Hated the secret agent schtick, and the combat is worse. I did find a mod that fixes the combat so may give it another try as i'm invested in the series.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I try to only play one game at a time and if it feels like it's becoming a chore, I mainline the story. (eg Avatar)

The only recent game that I almost gave up on was Remnant 2. The final boss is utter bullshit as a solo player. I had to make an exception to my gaming rule and get into a public lobby and have another over-powered player help me take it out to see the games ending.

Last edited:

Aesius

Amid Evil.

I was on a boomer shooter kick and beat Ion Fury, Dusk, and Cultic, but Amid Evil didn't grab me like those did, so I dropped it.

Also quit Enderal. I loved Nehrim, and was really liking Enderal, but some of the voice acting just really turned me off. I may go back to it at some point, though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m gonna go start FF16 again so I can give up on that boring turd twice.

Tommi84

Jett: Far Shore, 2hours
The atmoshpere is great, the whole premise of learning new planet, interstellar travel, all the misteries. All is awesome and I'd be happy to play further. I don't even mind the slow pace.

But MY GOD, all the jank, horrible, HORRIBLE. Don't play it, just dont.
kUKG3WF.jpg
QgrBFpS.jpg
EWd2AmY.png

Last edited:

havoc00

Robocop, I just deleted it. I enjoyed the gunplay for the first hours, but then everything started to feel repetitive. Even the footstep sound started to be annoying. Didn't care about the glaring AA, characters nor the story. I also hate loading screens for interiors, it's a pet peeve of mine.

SodaZA

The finals
I couldn't take it
50/50 chance you get team mates that are literally bots that just run into walls
and almost every match there was a blatant hacker

Last edited:
Starfield. Far Cry 5. Spider-Man Remaster on PC. I could see myself going back to Starfield but probably not until some significant updates. I swear there's a great game in there.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I quit a ton of games over the past year.

• Remnant II
  • Elden Ring
  • Lies of P
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Dead Island 2
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Death Stranding
  • Cassette Beasts
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Sifu

The funny thing is I actually enjoyed my time with pretty much all of these games, and most of them got at least ~10 hours of my playtime, but what I'm finding is games are too fucking long nowadays.

Give me back some 8-12 hour experiences. Unless a game is truly exceptional and also right up my alley, it's not keeping my attention for 30+ hours. Even a damn expansion pack (with Phantom Liberty) is like 15-20 hours. Nope.

Last edited:

jshackles

Like a Dragon Gaiden. Hated the secret agent schtick, and the combat is worse. I did find a mod that fixes the combat so may give it another try as i'm invested in the series.
I almost gave up on this game - Chapter 2 and 3 were tedious and pretty boring story-wise. The final chapter was well worth it though, I'd recommend sticking with it because the payout is crazy good. Since you're talking about mods I assume you're on PC, which means there are ways to reduce the grind (cheat engine) that might help you get to the last chapter faster.

Dazraell

Already have one lol. I've quitted The Outer Worlds. I found the beginning segment as very uninspring and didn't enjoyed the main premise. I've played a few hours, got really bored and moved on to something different. I will definitely try to make another attempt later this year, but yeah....

Starfield is one of the few games boring enough that I didn’t finish

I even got to the big “surprise” lol, which from what I understand is close to the end

I just…couldnt

//DEVIL//

- Starfield.

- almost every semi decent epic free game I download and say I wanna try then stop and delete after an hour or so in.

On the other hand from Free Epic games....

Really enjoying Guardians of the galaxy. I mean wow its really fun to play and the story pacing is perfect with lots of funny jokes to keep me entertained.
Honestly its probably one of my fav games I have played this gen so far. bravo to the team, sorry I didn't buy it when it was released. I didn't think I would enjoy a marvel game.

I guess in the past 6 months Overwatch 2 was the big one for me. I had already given up ranked, and I barely held on by playing deathmatch and arcade modes. Once the news came out about the long awaited PvE being shredded apart and replaced by some tiny content pack for 14.99, I finally uninstalled it.

Right now I'm getting pretty close to dropping a backlog game I decided to try out, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-reckoning. I feel like I've been bamboozled, because this game was always held dear by so many people online for being an underrated gem...but I'm just not seeing it. As a guy who's played many MMOs, I can spot an MMO-style game from a mile away. Looking up the behind the scenes for this game, it seems like they took an MMO skeleton and turned it into a single player game.

The problem is, I can definitely feel it when playing this game(including the worst aspects of an MMO). A lot of MMOs have boring and grindy quests because the real appeal is seeing and playing with other players and having those awesome moments where people naturally and dynamically come together to kill a world boss, dungeon, or raid. You know what happens when you remove the online aspect? You have a single player game with boring and grindy quests. The main thing that keeps me going with this game is seeing new environments, that one rare uniquely written quest, sometimes being able to choose a meaningful dialogue option, and leveling (because the game has fun skills).

Also, the game simply has too much content. Like the energizer bunny, it keeps going, and going, and going....and going.

giphy.gif

It's like the AC: Valhalla of it's time.

i don't quit games, even if they're boring i finish them.
I paid for it im gonna play it, thats all there is to it.
If I start a game, I finish it.
Even multiplayer games?

Kindela

Banned
Nothing in 2024 yet.
As for 2023, Immortals Fenyx Rising and Elex 2. Mostly liked both of them the first 10 hours or so, but then I started playing something more interesting (I believe it was ME Legendary edition), and realised that those two are just not engaging enough to finish.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West - It's just Ubisoft open world formula in pretty and kinda interesting world. I hated how Aloy just won't shut up.
Fuck, that was the worst part of the game for me too. Also, Aloy was just weirdly mean to people, even when I selected seemingly polite dialogue. Later when I played Days Gone, it struck me that Deacon talks plenty as well, but I never wanted him to shut up. Loved that game. Maybe Aloy's dialogue was more annoying cuz her lines were dumb?
I sort of felt the same way about the open world, but then when I played AC Odyssey, I started missing Horizon: Zero Dawn. Its world is a nice place to get immersed in (I'm a sucker for post-apocalypses of all kinds), and the lore was pretty sick. I don't know much about Forbidden West, but I'm sure I'll get access to it via Family Share not long after its PC release. I wish Days Gone had a sequel coming to PC too :lollipop_pensive:

Fbh

This year?
Metal: Hellsinger so far.

Love the idea but I just wasn't feeling the gameplay and level design. Switched over to Prodeus (which was also on Ps+ extra) and I've been enjoying that one a lot more

xrnzaaas

Evil West. I actually bought the game not long before it appeared in PS+ and just didn't like how it was melee focused and how bringing back former bosses and minibosses made some combat encounters too long. Plus I got pissed off on several occasions when I picked the "wrong" path and couldn't backtrack anymore.

bender

What time is it?
Shame #1 - Ender Lillies: Quietis of the Knights - 4.5 hours played
I got this on the Switch physically, because I heard it was a really solid Metroidvania game. While I did enjoy the first few hours quite a bit, I soon hit up against a skill wall that I just wasn't able to overcome. There was a boss (the witch) that I just couldn't get past for the life of me - I tried grinding levels, I even skipped that boss and went to the next (and beat him), but finally hit a point where I needed to beat the witch to continue. Some of the bosses moves were 1-hit KOs. I tried for over an hour to beat the boss, finally looked up a Youtube tutorial where someone beat the witch at level 5 (I was level 41), and I said "fuck it, I'm out". Game is too hard for me to complete.

Send me your copy. I've been wanting to try this but I'm so skeptical of Metroidvania's these days after not liking so many that others have heaped praise upon.

jshackles

Shame #2 - Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 5.5 hours played
I bought this when I had a long weekend and needed something to play. This was before Palword came out, and I was looking for something to fill the gap waiting for Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth to drop. I enjoyed the demo, so picked up the full game. While I generally enjoyed what I played of it, it didn't make enough of an impact on me to want to keep going. Shame, I should have just subbed to Ubi+ for a month and saved the money.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Starfield - didn't hate it, but there was just too much to do and I just didn't feel like doing it

Bayonetta - may try again, but the save scheme seems fucked up or broken, I get deep into a level, past multiple bosses and it says it saved, but when I restart I'm right back at the beginning of the level.

Last of Us Part I - I finished the main game then deleted it even though I had the Left Behind still to play, I was just done with it.

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

Cocoon - got stuck on that one puzzle you have to bring the crystal with ya, then triggered the no audio bug (GP exclusive?) not replaying to get to that point
Jusant - didn't enjoy the climbing mechanic w/in first hour

evanft

Oh man. A lot I spent only a short period of time in, but here are some of mine.

• Alan Wake 2: Terrible gameplay. The whole mind palace thing was just unnecessary and stupid. Hate when they use real video in games instead of rendering it in-engine.
  • Need for Speed: Underground 2 and Most Wanted: Racing never feels exciting or fun in the slightest. Open world aspects are extraordinarily dated.
  • Midnight Club 3: Somehow more repetitive than a normal racing game.
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Unsatisfying gameplay. MENUS MENUS MENUS. No story. Gameplay loop is just dogshit. Bad camera. How the fuck can the same company make DMC and THIS?
  • Outer Wilds: Bad controls. The whole loop mechanic is a bad idea and should be dropped.
  • Deathloop: Just generally terrible across the board, from gameplay to writing.
  • Ghost of Tsushima: Do you want Assassin's Creed, but worse? Well, here ya go.
  • Shadow of Mordor: Do you want Assassin's Creed, but worse? Well, here ya go.
  • Dead Space (remake): Horrific stuttering made game practically unplayable on PC.
  • Saints Row 4: Just got bored of it after a while. You can tell this was DLC that was massaged into a whole game. Ideas run out of steam.
  • Knights of the Old Republic: Holy fuck everything about the game is so fucking dated and annoying.
  • Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning: Kinda neat, but becomes boring and repetitive real quick.
  • Alan Wake Remastered: I can't think of anything positive to say about this monument to mediocrity.
  • Quantum Break: Bro, what if we STREAMED TV EPISODES in the MIDDLE OF THE GAME?

vanillaFace

Neo Member
Right now I'm getting pretty close to dropping a backlog game I decided to try out, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-reckoning.
same here. I tried Amazon Luna for a month and played Re-reckoning, and while some aspects of it were cool, it's just such a slog with outdated mechanics and gameplay. Couldn't do it, dropped it after 5'ish hours.

realcool

vampyr. the actress who plays the sister of the protagonist gave a really great performance but, outside of that, the game doesnt have fast travel and i have no patience for retracing my steps. i uninstalled it but i might come back to it.

i might not ever come back to it, too. whatever.

J3nga

Oh man. A lot I spent only a short period of time in, but here are some of mine.

• Ghost of Tsushima: Do you want Assassin's Creed, but worse? Well, here ya go.
Let me correct that for you:
  • Ghost of Tsushima: Do you want Assassin's Creed, but better? Well, here ya go.

evanft

Just quit Baldur's Gate 3. RNG is bullshit and encourages save-scumming. Combat is atrocious and has absolutely no place in a game made in 2023.

Bond007

Hogwarts - will get back to it
Jedi Suvivor- wow the map is absolute trash. Worse than original and i refuse to run in circles.

Top Bottom