• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Exotoro

I'm thinking about a game in which all I can remember is the unlockable costumes. There was a playboy bunny type costume, lab coat, I think Lightning's costume was in it, and a bikini with jean shorts. It might have been on the DS or some older console... it's been so long since I've remembered it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about a game in which all I can remember is the unlockable costumes. There was a playboy bunny type costume, lab coat, I think Lightning's costume was in it, and a bikini with jean shorts. It might have been on the DS or some older console... it's been so long since I've remembered it.
Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm trying to remember an old PC adventure game. It may have been a Sierra joint but I can't be sure.

I remember you played some pirate/sailor guy, black hair, and you were walking around some Caribbean looking coastal town. It definitely wasn't Monkey Island.

Phediuk

I'm trying to remember an old PC adventure game. It may have been a Sierra joint but I can't be sure.

I remember you played some pirate/sailor guy, black hair, and you were walking around some Caribbean looking coastal town. It definitely wasn't Monkey Island.

Sounds like Gold Rush to me.

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone know a floppy disk game that had you avoid and jump over gaps in a spaceship using spacebar and the right and left arrow keys?

bjork

I think the guess of Gold Rush! is right. Only other pirate game I recall with a town you walk around in is Pirates! Gold but you've got a hat in that iirc.

mclem

Skyroads fits that description, though I can't be sure without more details.

I'm starting to think this thread could do with FAQ in the OP covering the games that appear most frequently, 'cause I think Skyroads might be in double-figures now.

Edit: Normality's fairly frequent, too. Realms of the Haunting. Oh, and Incoming. So, so often, that one.

I think I might have a go at counting one weekend.

Phediuk

There's a game I remember playing on NES from when I was really young. I can't remember much about it other than the fact that it scrolls vertically, and you walk north through the levels. The cartridge had a silver end label, and I seem to remember the end label having a pretty long title.

I don't even remember if the game was good or not I just remember playing it when I was a wee young lad and would like to figure out what game it was. Help me GAF!

Okay, this posted months ago, but I'm guessing it was The Adventures of Dino Riki.

King's Knight also fits this.

Hope you see this.

A Square RPG for Super Nintendo where it was almost like Pokemon for its time but with Robots. Like you lived in a town where Robots were the SHIT and you got your first one from your grandpa or something. You could paint/upgrade/customize the hell outta your bot. It was definitely a square game, and turn based combat but with like MACHINE GUNS and MISSILES.

BUT I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS GAME. Like Robo-Tech or some shit....GAH I WANT IT.

Phediuk

A Square RPG for Super Nintendo where it was almost like Pokemon for its time but with Robots. Like you lived in a town where Robots were the SHIT and you got your first one from your grandpa or something. You could paint/upgrade/customize the hell outta your bot.

BUT I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS GAME. Like Robo-Tech or some shit....GAH I WANT IT.

Robotrek

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

THANK YOU

Man, I loved that game. Only played it much later on an emulator, but really liked it.

I'm starting to think this thread could do with FAQ in the OP covering the games that appear most frequently, 'cause I think Skyroads might be in double-figures now.

Edit: Normality's fairly frequent, too. Realms of the Haunting. Oh, and Incoming. So, so often, that one.

I think I might have a go at counting one weekend.

I agree, maybe even with tags alongside every game for easier searching although I'm not sure how much it would help in the forum's search.

Another useful thing would be a short guide or FAQ on how to ask for a game since a lot of people aren't even aware they know more about the game or don't know how to ask. Mentioning the year or even stuff like colors, graphics comparisons or similarities to other games go a long way. There are some nice guidelines on Abandonia and Mobygames.

And lastly, maybe a guide on how people could find the games themselves. How to browse on Mobygames, how to get MAME with a full set of screenshots and a catlist for category browsing, list of other emulators or databases for different systems etc.

Phediuk

I played an arcade game in the mid-90s that had a steering wheel, a pedal, and a light gun. It was like a combination of Outrun and a rail shooter; you drove with one hand and shot with the other.

any thoughts?

I played this arcade game probably around 2000 or 2001 when I was 4 or 5. It was a shooting game and you were on an island and had to shoot dinosaurs or something. I think it had a Jurassic Park license but I can't remember 100%.

I played an arcade game in the mid-90s that had a steering wheel, a pedal, and a light gun. It was like a combination of Outrun and a rail shooter; you drove with one hand and shot with the other.

any thoughts?

Pretty sure this one is Lucky & Wild. http://youtu.be/_RqqaqUHsuU

1063140001.jpg

any thoughts?

edit: Already answered above.

I played this arcade game probably around 2000 or 2001 when I was 4 or 5. It was a shooting game and you were on an island and had to shoot dinosaurs or something. I think it had a Jurassic Park license but I can't remember 100%.

There's a lightgun game by Sega based on the Lost World.

GrayFoxPL

If lightgun it's Jurassic Park The Arcade Game

sidescroller might be:

Prehistoric Isle

Cock of War

Dragon Quest 8 on PS2?

Phediuk

Shareware-era DOS platformer. Might have been by Apogee. You're a secret agent and I think you had a gun. Cartoony art style, superdeformed characters (huge heads, tiny bodies.)

Looked similar to Crystal Caves, but that's not it.

Phediuk

Early 90s DOS adventure game. First person view. Horror theme. At one point you can talk to this grim-reaper looking dude and if you answer wrong he tears out your heart and you see him holding it afterward.

that's all I've got.

This one has been driving me crazy. It's a really lame FMV game from the early to mid 90s. It was based around a really poorly designed (blocky 3D modeled) superhero character, and the gameplay consisted entirely of contextual button presses to have it choose the correct path through the cinematics.

I believe the name was simple and generic like (insert word here) Man... I just can't remember the word. My mind keeps saying Meteor Man, but that's the lame Robert Townsend movie from the 90s.

This one has been driving me crazy. It's a really lame FMV game from the early to mid 90s. It was based around a really poorly designed (blocky 3D modeled) superhero character, and the gameplay consisted entirely of contextual button presses to have it choose the correct path through the cinematics.

I believe the name was simple and generic like (insert word here) Man... I just can't remember the word. My mind keeps saying Meteor Man, but that's the lame Robert Townsend movie from the 90s.

I had a 3 CD FMV game with a blocky 3D modelled character.

It was The Lawnmower Man (based on the movie.) Was that it?

I had a 3 CD FMV game with a blocky 3D modelled character.

It was The Lawnmower Man (based on the movie.) Was that it?

No, it wasn't nearly that high profile. This is some REALLY lame, low budget thing that I picked up at RadioShack of all places. It was of a really generic super hero type.. I remember him having a cape, and poofy hair.

Two games:

The first game I played on the Atari ST. It was made by Psygnosis. It was a point and click adventure game - I think. It began in a big ornate house and involved going into another world?

The second game was for the Turbo Grafx 16 (or CD). It was a side-scrolling (almost horizontal shooter) platformer. Very Japanese with lots of colors, rainbows, crazy powerups with fruit.

Phediuk

Two games:

The first game I played on the Atari ST. It was made by Psygnosis. It was a point and click adventure game - I think. It began in a big ornate house and involved going into another world?

The second game was for the Turbo Grafx 16 (or CD). It was a side-scrolling (almost horizontal shooter) platformer. Very Japanese with lots of colors, rainbows, crazy powerups with fruit.

Air Zonk fits the second description except for the platforming part.

Two games:

Monster Lair sounds like the second game. It's a horizontal shooter that looks like a side scrolling action adventure. Fantasy themed.

FryHole

Two games:

First game could be Chrono Quest

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/advert.php?id=1382

putermcgee

A flash skateboarding game I played sometime between 1998 and 2004, but I can't remember the title. The color palette was mostly blue and pink, looking like something out of MS Paint. If I recall correctly, the game took place in a series of single screens, and the goal was to get from one end to the other, jumping down stairs and over gaps.

I feel like I've searched all over for the game, but to no avail.

turtle553

This game hasn't come out yet, but I saw the trailer like ten times in a row at Gamestop while waiting in line. I think it was an upcoming PS4 game in black and white. Had a 1940s nightclub/noire feel to it. I can't find any more info.

edit: guess it was Contrast and it's out already. Took a while to find it.

Phediuk

Shareware-era DOS game. 2D Missile Command-type game; you control a stationary turret at the bottom of the screen and shoot enemies/missiles.

At the end of the game, a pizza delivery man comes and gives you a pizza, complete with a digitized voice sample saying, "Pizza!" That's the only remarkable aspect of the game and the only reason I remember it specifically.

Man. I don't know why this just popped in my head but I remembered this thread and though it might be worth a shot for old times sake.

This game was an PS1 RPG I rented as a kid. I only rented it once but I gazed at it each time I was at that rental store. The cover I want to say had a warrior and a small pink sidekick (I believe). Graphics were 3D anime chibi style if memory serves correct and ut was colorful. Ring any bells? I remember it starting in like an open area then directly into cave that I never got to finish...real surface stuff I know but just wondered if anyone was familiar with it.

Top Bottom