• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

BooJoh

Hey guys, what is this RPG for Genesis / Megadrive? It sure as heck isn't any Phantasy Star game I know, yet I can see why someone thought it was.

bef6CWn.jpg

According to Unseen64 it's likely Sorcerer's Kingdom.
https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/new-phantasy-star-v-mdg-proto/

NevaNopa

There was a kids PC game I recall playing around 96/97. I can't recall if it was educational or just a normal adventure game. I think it had a mad scientist (it's not Dr. Brain) and a Frankenstein monster or Igor sort of character in it It was also pretty short; I think I beat it in a couple hours. Sorry if it's not much to go on but thinking of it has been driving me nuts.

bjork

I have two that I've been asked about and I'm stumped, so I'll throw it in here and see. It's unclear, but assumed that the system in question was Apple II:

One was a game where someone was in a mall with a bunch of robots inside and it was your goal to find different creative ways (I remember one you had to get marbles and throw them at a specific robot.) to stop them from throwing you back to the start...

The second was a game where you had to help the constellations that were trapped on Earth and you had to find where they were and put them back in the sky.

I have no idea about either, but I'd like to know so I could check them out.

Jyrii

Banned
I just remembered a PC shareware game I played in the 90's. It was top down space exploration game where you did quests and battled. I don't remember much else, just that some planets were rather far and it took some time to travel there. Might have had fuel consumption, not sure.

It's not Star Control or Ur Quan Masters nor Space rangers 1 or 2.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Niahak

I just remembered a PC shareware game I played in the 90's. It was top down space exploration game where you did quests and battled. I don't remember much else, just that some planets were rather far and it took some time to travel there. Might have had fuel consumption, not sure.

It's not Star Control or Ur Quan Masters nor Space rangers 1 or 2.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Could it have been one of the Escape Velocity games?

Jyrii

Banned
It looked a bit like those games, but it doesn't seem to be any of those.

I could remember totally wrong, but the game might have had Solar or something similar in the name.

I remember playing this one on PC in the early 2000s.. vaguely. It was a mech game and if I remember correctly it took place mainly in the desert. There were others ones you could unlock as well such as a hover mech I think. First person in mech view but the graphics weren't great.

jennetics

I remember playing this one on PC in the early 2000s.. vaguely. It was a mech game and if I remember correctly it took place mainly in the desert. There were others ones you could unlock as well such as a hover mech I think. First person in mech view but the graphics weren't great.

I remember MechWarrior 4: Vengenace taking place in a lot of desert. Is that it?

I don't think there was any planet exploration and Starflight doesn't look familiar, although there is many similar things.

I also checked few lists and it doesn't seem to be SubSpace or Transcendence either.

I know you said not Star Control, but definitely not Star Control 2?

DrBretto

Banned
OK, a two-fer from my childhood:

The easy one: It was a platformer, I think. I would get into it by typing in "cosmo" in DOS. I believe there were sequels.

The harder one: There was a trio of edutainment games with the same lead character. One of the games had you solve a mystery by identifying clues. I don't remember what the other ones did. I think one of them had math.

lol. If anyone gets these, I will be genuinely impressed. They just popped into my head and I cannot remember much about them at all.

Edit: First one was Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. That was an easy google, though. I just remembered the name as I was typing it.

HIUHAU

There was a kids PC game I recall playing around 96/97. I can't recall if it was educational or just a normal adventure game. I think it had a mad scientist (it's not Dr. Brain) and a Frankenstein monster or Igor sort of character in it It was also pretty short; I think I beat it in a couple hours. Sorry if it's not much to go on but thinking of it has been driving me nuts.

Maybe "Creature Crunch"?

Woorloog

Banned

Starsiege perhaps?

It had 'Mechs and tanks, including hover tanks if i recall correctly. Kinda shitty graphics.

mclem

It looked a bit like those games, but it doesn't seem to be any of those.

I could remember totally wrong, but the game might have had Solar or something similar in the name.

Solar Winds.

(It's the 'far planets' that tipped me off - there's one bit where you get a hyperdrive and have to travel a long way, but it's not immediately clear how to *use* it, so many people just, well, flew. For ages.)

Jyrii

Banned
Solar Winds.

(It's the 'far planets' that tipped me off - there's one bit where you get a hyperdrive and have to travel a long way, but it's not immediately clear how to *use* it, so many people just, well, flew. For ages.)

Yeeep that's the one! Thank you!
Now it all comes back to me: that sideways shot of the ship, those portraits, that music.

This thread always delivers

Jyrii

Banned
The harder one: There was a trio of edutainment games with the same lead character. One of the games had you solve a mystery by identifying clues. I don't remember what the other ones did. I think one of them had math.

Any chance it would be the games in the Super Solvers series?
They seem to have a adventure game with clue identification and a math game. Also one of the games is called Super Solvers: Spellbound, which would fit the sss executable. Also the lead character seems to be the same in all of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWZmg7QMFo

if it isn't that, it is hell of a coincidence lol

Lux R7

Ok guys, there was this coin-op like an House of The Dead clone and i really can't remember the name. You could play it with two friends and there were two pistols and a shotgun. If i remember correctly, in this game there were a lot of different monsters, not just zombies. Hope someone can help!

GrayFoxPL

Ok guys, there was this coin-op like an House of The Dead clone and i really can't remember the name. You could play it with two friends and there were two pistols and a shotgun. If i remember correctly, in this game there were a lot of different monsters, not just zombies. Hope someone can help!

Vampire Night?

Crypt Killer?

Pittree

Oh man great thread! I used to play an arcade back in the 80s with a top view racing game and atari like graphics. I think the car was pink, the hud was on the left and the road was black. Also the cabinet had a sit and a racing wheel. Anyone has an idea?

Could also have been G-Nome, but that was a little earlier.('97).

Pittree

First guess would be Monaco GP.

Thanks for the tip, but it wasn't Monaco G, as a matter of fact....

Was the hud like a seperate panel with LED numbers? There's a few like that.
http://youtu.be/RtZ9imjg2QI

I think it is speed race cl5!!!! I forgot to add it had a low high shift and that the score was a LED thing! It already was old when I played it, but I loved it...also it was cheaper! You guys are awesome, really. Thanks!

Strimei

There's some game, for the PS2 I think it was, that I played as a teen.

What I remember from it is that the player character's weapon can transform, I think it glows various colors. The various transformations blew my mind at the time because I had not heard of some of them. I think there was a chain sword, katars (punch-daggers, basically), tonfas, other ones I can't remember.

I think it had QTEs as well?

Its really the weapons that stood out to me because way back then I had never heard of katars before and they were so cool to me. That and how they all glowed (according to an element I think?)

wenaldy

I played this game on PS1. It's a top down tank game. I think the game was made between 1996/1997. It had 3D graphics, similar to Strike series (Nuclear Strike and Russian Strike). I remember you can launch mortar rounds from the tank and the tank had multiple type of rounds (rocket, flamethrower etc).

Dizzy-4U

What I remember from it is that the player character's weapon can transform, I think it glows various colors. The various transformations blew my mind at the time because I had not heard of some of them. I think there was a chain sword, katars (punch-daggers, basically), tonfas, other ones I can't remember.

Its really the weapons that stood out to me because way back then I had never heard of katars before and they were so cool to me. That and how they all glowed (according to an element I think?)
Eve of Extinction ?

Eve of Extinction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooLkVLWoHI
210010-eve_of_extinction_3.jpg

Edit: Goddamn you Dizzy

I played this game on PS1. It's a top down tank game. I think the game was made between 1996/1997. It had 3D graphics, similar to Strike series (Nuclear Strike and Russian Strike). I remember you can launch mortar rounds from the tank and the tank had multiple type of rounds (rocket, flamethrower etc).

Hmm. Eliminating the easy one first; wasn't Return Fire by any chance?

EVO

What's the name of that GAF user made fighting game with the lovely hand drawn art and animation? There was a thread for it the other day.

These ones have been eating me up for a decade.

- Sega Genesis game. You can choose between 2 (females?), one brunette and the other blond. Side scroller.

- SNES game. Over the top view (shooter?) in ab American desert road type area (there were trucks I think?). You play as a guy, think he had sunglasses. Game over screen had a Jungle Strike esque similarity with a crashed truck and the main character laying on the road.

Sorry for the vague descriptions, but it's all I got

dimmer

I hope you guys can help me because I don't want to die without fianly remembering the name of this game. It is an old Amstrad 6128 game that I had borrowed on a disk and played a bit like metroidvania. It was 2d side (not scrolling) puzzle/platformer and you had to pick various pick ups in order to use them correctly on the appropriate screen so you could move on. You were searching/moving both left and right and I fondly remember one pick up which was a E=MC2 icon

Powerpuff

- SNES game. Over the top view (shooter?) in ab American desert road type area (there were trucks I think?). You play as a guy, think he had sunglasses. Game over screen had a Jungle Strike esque similarity with a crashed truck and the main character laying on the road.

Outlander has a similar game over screen and the protagonist in the SNES version has sunglasses, but it's a driving game with on foot side-view action levels.

I hope you guys can help me because I don't want to die without fianly remembering the name of this game. It is an old Amstrad 6128 game that I had borrowed on a disk and played a bit like metroidvania. It was 2d side (not scrolling) puzzle/platformer and you had to pick various pick ups in order to use them correctly on the appropriate screen so you could move on. You were searching/moving both left and right and I fondly remember one pick up which was a E=MC2 icon

There were plenty of these multi-screen adventure platformers back in the day, so I'm not sure which one it is. Try the Magic Knight series (Strombringer, Knight Tyme, Spellbound). Do you maybe remember some other details about the game, the look of the player character, the menus, locations, maybe something about the more prevalent colors on screen?

dimmer

There were plenty of these multi-screen adventure platformers back in the day, so I'm not sure which one it is. Try the Magic Knight series (Strombringer, Knight Tyme, Spellbound). Do you maybe remember some other details about the game, the look of the player character, the menus, locations, maybe something about the more prevalent colors on screen?

It was newer with bigger sprites than the games you mentioned. It didn't have a black or green background, I think it was white. The main character was an everyday guy,nothing special. You walked right, met an obstacle, turn back left, climbed some platforms, picked up an object, headed right again and used the object on the obstacle. I don't remember any combat in the game. But all my memories are waaaay too faded to be sure of any details.

bjork

Sacred Armor of Antiriad?

Snoodaard

Neo Member
Around 97/98 I played a driving game (I forgot if you actually raced against others) on the pc. The cars were all supercars. I remember a red and blue one for sure. The main part of the game was creating your own tracks, iirc you could even make loops and stuff like that. If I had to guess the game was from around 94 or something, as the cars looked sprite-like (in my memory). Any guesses?

It was newer with bigger sprites than the games you mentioned. It didn't have a black or green background, I think it was white. The main character was an everyday guy,nothing special. You walked right, met an obstacle, turn back left, climbed some platforms, picked up an object, headed right again and used the object on the obstacle. I don't remember any combat in the game. But all my memories are waaaay too faded to be sure of any details.

Maybe one of the Wally games? Pyjamarama, Everyone's a Wally perhaps?

It reminds me the Battle Mania series.

It must probably be the first episode, aka Trouble Shooter in the West
battlemania_002.gif
battlemania_008.gif

TroubleShooter(SS).gif
TroubleShooter(gS).gif

or its sequel, Battle Mania Daiginjou, which has never been released outside Japan.
battlemania2_000.gif
battlemania2_007.gif
battlemania2_013.gif

However there still a great quality fan translation by MIJET.
http://mijet.eludevisibility.org/BattleMania2/BattleMania2.html

don't think it was these, unfortunately. man, wish i remembered more. if i remember correctly, the combat was melee based. maybe a sword or whip?

Outlander has a similar game over screen and the protagonist in the SNES version has sunglasses, but it's a driving game with on foot side-view action levels.

yes! that's it! not sure why i thought it had an overhead camera. as soon as i saw this game over image i knew it was the one:
Outlander-08.png

thank you!

Top Bottom