• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

KillySG10

Neo Member
I remember playing some flash game based on some anime/VN. It's a momentum based game where the main guy is hit by a girl on a bicycle and he is sent flying. Objective is trying to get as far as possible. You have limited power-ups to hit him again or change his trajectory. When he's about to hit the ground, other characters are in the street and if you hit the males, they have negative affects. If you hit the girls, some hit you again some do other things. Certain conditions let you get a super hit off.

Sounds like Nanaca Crash, i remember that game
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/NanacaCrash

HoodWinked

Trying to remember a game made me think of it because all this talk of brink becoming free to play some things i think i remember.

FPS (leaning first person but may have been third)
Released on 360/PS3 era.
Maybe published by ubisoft
I think it had destructible walls
May have been cancelled
reminded me because of brink

not sector 9, not bullet storm

Trying to remember a game made me think of it because all this talk of brink becoming free to play some things i think i remember.

Released on 360/PS3 era.
May have been cancelled

I'm thinking it's CellFactor: Psychokinetic Wars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOBk8hyLohE

Released on 360/PS3 era.
May have been cancelled

Sure it wasn't Bodycount? A Codies effort.

Released on 360/PS3 era.
May have been cancelled

Cancelled + Ubisoft + some destructible scenery - could it be Killing Day? There was a trailer before the PS360 gen began but it never materialised. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnG8I_3XXI

Regiruler

It was a game that showed up on a games done quick run I think. It's a sequel of another title. It was made past 2010 I think? It was done on NES hardware, and had a limited distribution of real carts I think. Fans say they want it on virtual console, but there was some sort of exclusivity deal or general indifference.

It was mega man inspired but it had a metroidvania sort of sprawling map.

Played it on PS1. The player character was a blue-skinned humanoid beast/vampire/whatever with dark, long hair. I believe it was a hack-n-slash game. It was also 3rd person, and I think one of the early levels was a cave of some sort.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is going to be way out there since I don't have a lot of information to go on.

Grid based strategy rpg
Anime look
Was being played on a PC
I'm not sure which language it was translated into, but it was an east-Asian alphabet
Around 2000-2004 is my guess on when it came out.
One girl's character portrait might have had white hair

It was a game that showed up on a games done quick run I think. It's a sequel of another title. It was made past 2010 I think? It was done on NES hardware, and had a limited distribution of real carts I think. Fans say they want it on virtual console, but there was some sort of exclusivity deal or general indifference.

It was mega man inspired but it had a metroidvania sort of sprawling map.

Very likely Battle Kid 2: Mountain of Torment - http://sivak.nintendoage.com/nesgames/BK2.cfm

Melon Husk

Late 90s or early 00s game. The characters might have been 3D, but the environment 2D, not sure. The style was realistic but a bit cartoonish, like many early 3D games.

Gameplay was about tactics and managing cash, probably. You play as a burglar or a group of burglars from an isometric perspective. You break into houses and stuff. The play area is one small part of a city.

edit: It was The Sting! from 2001

superjona

Looking for an early '00 digital only PC game. Definitely wasn't AAA-budget.

It was a space shooter, top-down view. You flew this spaceship surrounding a planet in 360° and had survival-based waves of enemies incoming. After a wave, you could upgrade the planet with defenses to keep on going and going. It also had a funky soundtrack and I remember the gameplay being pretty awesome, although I still was a kid so I don't know how it holds up today. Would love to play it again, but I can't remember the name... I do remember Outpost Kaloki being one of the other popular space games in that period, loved that too.

C4Lukins

So this is a music video which has nothing to do with video games.

The singer is walking down a street.

Everything the person sees is super happy and wonderful, but as they continue to walk all of the nice things they see turn super dark.

I could swear it was Lily Allens Smile, but after watching said video recently that is not it.

Any ideas?

Everything the person sees is super happy and wonderful, but as they continue to walk all of the nice things they see turn super dark.

I could swear it was Lily Allens Smile, but after watching said video recently that is not it.

Any ideas?

Best to ask in the Off-Topic section of the forum. PopGAF would know.

Jackpot

Banned
Trying to remember an upcoming Soma clone that's been in development for a while now. Was set on a moonbase, might have been VR capable. Had a really dull name like Procedure or something.

There's this one arcade machine game- the ones with a plastic gun you pick up and aim with-that I 'played' as a kid in a Holiday Inn hotel when I was on holiday in Orlando in 2001 that I cannot put a name to. All I remember is the insert credits screen had loads of dudes in black suits who were the generic enemies, the environment was some sort of facility, again hard to describe. It had cool music and sound effects that I vaguely remember but cannot describe.

Not much to go on I know, any help would be appreciated as I'd love to see that opening again just for the nostalgia, I'm like 99.9% sure my parents didn't give me any credits so all I ever did was fake-play the gameplay used in the insert credits screen lol.

hatmoza

Somewhere Between 1993 and 1995 my brother borrowed a game for about a week from his friend on the snes. He didn't like it so I played it and loved it. I never got to finish the game. Every now and then I think about that game, maybe because the child in me still yearns to finish it.

It's a side scroller role playing game. You are a knight or something and you have a health bar at the bottom of the screen. I recall the game being tough as nails (or maybe I sucked at video games at that age). I also recall being in a cave or a volcanoe.

Shanaynay

Somewhere Between 1993 and 1995 my brother borrowed a game for about a week from his friend on the snes. He didn't like it so I played it and loved it. I never got to finish the game. Every now and then I think about that game, maybe because the child in me still yearns to finish it.

It's a side scroller role playing game. You are a knight or something and you have a health bar at the bottom of the screen. I recall the game being tough as nails (or maybe I sucked at video games at that age). I also recall being in a cave or a volcanoe.

Do you remember if it had beat em up elements to it and was there more than one character to pick from?

hatmoza

Do you remember if it had beat em up elements to it and was there more than one character to pick from?

Kind of like the original nes style Zelda side scrolling sword fighting. I wouldn't say beat em up style perse but then again I could be misremembering.
The snes cartridge label was red if that helps

Edit: I'm pretty sure there was only one main playable character, a knight of some sort.

Actraiser maybe?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

ActRaiser?

Sophia

Dragon View?

Or alternatively, perhaps it was Ys 3?

There's this one arcade machine game- the ones with a plastic gun you pick up and aim with-that I 'played' as a kid in a Holiday Inn hotel when I was on holiday in Orlando in 2001 that I cannot put a name to. All I remember is the insert credits screen had loads of dudes in black suits who were the generic enemies, the environment was some sort of facility, again hard to describe. It had cool music and sound effects that I vaguely remember but cannot describe.

Not much to go on I know, any help would be appreciated as I'd love to see that opening again just for the nostalgia, I'm like 99.9% sure my parents didn't give me any credits so all I ever did was fake-play the gameplay used in the insert credits screen lol.

Wasn't Virtual Cop, was it? Kinda sounds like Virtua Cop or Time Crisis, with the suits and the facility.

If you mean black business suits it sounds like Virtua Cop but that might be too old or too obvious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDiYWGetpM

hatmoza

Wasn't Virtual Cop, was it? Kinda sounds like Virtua Cop or Time Crisis, with the suits and the facility.

Holy cow you rock! It is Ys III. You are my hero!

I HAVE to go back and play this now!

What's weird is I know and played Ys 7 on the psp. I loved it. The fact that that game is from the Ys franchise blows my mind.

EDIT: this was supposed to quote Sophia. I suck at mobile posting

Sophia

Holy cow you rock! It is Ys III. You are my hero!

I HAVE to go back and play this now!

What's weird is I know and played Ys 7 on the psp. I loved it. The fact that that game is from the Ys franchise blows my mind.

EDIT: this was supposed to quote Sophia. I suck at mobile posting

Ahaha. You're welcome. Ys 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know why it didn't come to mind immediately when you said "volcano"

A tip tho: I recommend playing the Genesis version of Ys 3 over the SNES version. The SNES version is kind of lousy due to technical issues and making an already hard game even harder.

There's also a 3D remake of the game in Oath in Felghana, which is available on PC and Vita. Great remake.

Qblivion

There is a generic looking anime game that plays similarly to Valkyria chronicles. It is either ps3 or 4 and maybe vita. I’ve only seen a gameplay clip of it and I think it was in a modern/sci-fi urban environment.

Toe-Knee

Hey guys something if you can help me out with a title of a pic game I had a demo for that my pc couldn't run years ago.

It had a kinda austin powers70s vibe last person iirc with a female protagonist.

And if anyone knows what I'm on about do you have any idea how it runs on modern OS'? As it was early 15 years ago or so

Vlade

Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/wmYT79tPvLg

I remember it well.

There is a generic looking anime game that plays similarly to Valkyria chronicles. It is either ps3 or 4 and maybe vita. I’ve only seen a gameplay clip of it and I think it was in a modern/sci-fi urban environment.

Not Freedom Wars, is it?

Edit - and the above is definitely No One Lives Forever. An excellent game sadly trapped in ownership Limbo.

Tee hee hee. Sneaking around and listening to the henchmen conversations was great. Also, the lines they shout when you're in combat... "Bullets are not my favourite!". Sure the game drove me up the wall at times but it's certainly memorable for it's style and great moments... and some dodgy characterisations but it caaptures and parodies The Avengers, Bond & Austin Powers amongst others really well.

Some of the set-pieces are really bloody frustrating though if i remember rightly.

Toe-Knee

You guys are killing me it looks better than I thought.

Can't wait until tomorrow night when I get a chance to play it.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom