• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

cazosozey

I'm trying to remember a game that my bro had on 3Do. It was like a first person rpg or shooter, where people would talk to you. I think it was actually live recorded actors talking.
The setting was like in the far future and it was really weird. I have no idea what it was called.
The only other games I remember playing on the 3Do, were Captain Quasar, and Road Rash.
This was maybe 14 years ago, so I have no idea.

cazosozey said:
I'm trying to remember a game that my bro had on 3Do. It was like a first person rpg or shooter, where people would talk to you. I think it was actually live recorded actors talking.
The setting was like in the far future and it was really weird. I have no idea what it was called.
The only other games I remember playing on the 3Do, were Captain Quasar, and Road Rash.
This was maybe 14 years ago, so I have no idea.
Killing Time?

cazosozey

archnemesis said:

Nah, definitely had those live actors talking, but the setting was like a weird future or another universe. It was really dark, and a lot of dark and pointy structures and pyramids on the landscape. I'm not actually sure if it was a shooter, I vaguely remember getting shot at with like plasma balls or something.

I'm trying to remember the name of a Commodore 64 game.
It's been over twenty years since I played it so the only thing I remember is the following:

It's a side scrolling action/adventure game (not just one direction, you can go down and back IIRC). I think you play as a human or some sort of robot. The first level starts with
you falling down pretty far (couple of screens I think). You can shoot a laser type shot and
I think it could be upgraded to three shots at once.

I doubt anyone will recognize which game I'm talking about but hey,it's worth a try. :)

cazosozey

cazosozey said:
Nah, definitely had those live actors talking, but the setting was like a weird future or another universe. It was really dark, and a lot of dark and pointy structures and pyramids on the landscape. I'm not actually sure if it was a shooter, I vaguely remember getting shot at with like plasma balls or something.

FOUND IT!

Immercenary

I remember this weird witch lady:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9XbqyT205s&feature=related

creid

My dad found a box of Commodore 64 disks when I was a kid, and I would pop a random one in, play for half an hour, and move to the next. One that I remember enjoying was some sort of 1 on 1 competition, where both players flew around on disks trying to beat the other. I remember it was sort of a top-down view, but I could never remember the name after that first playthrough. Anyone?

McNum

mclem said:
Ranarama? The frog suggests that, at least.
No that's not it. The game screen had a black background with a dirt-brown edge and obstacles. There were enemies there, but I forget if you fought or evaded them.

To expand a little, the "You are here!" voice clip played as you were looking at a 10x10 or 16x16 grid of irregularly shaped squares, where some would be missing. They looked like squares of dirt. They were connected by green or yellow lines depicting routes. One square would flash white, grey, black really fast, signaling that this would be the square you would start in. Then the game said "Get ready!" and you entered the top-down perspective. You were either supposed to collect something, or defeat enough foes to clear a level. Then a new map would appear, in a different color. I think level 2 was gray and level 3 was blue.

It's all really fuzzy, though. I just had the "You are here!" clip play in my head suddenly, and can't figure out what game it's from.

Squishy

mclem said:
Sounds like Blackthorne, and I *think* that was available on the Gateway System.

Very close, but it's not the game I remember playing. I remember there being a green tinge to the caves. Thanks anyway though.

mclem

Squishy said:
Very close, but it's not the game I remember playing. I remember there being a green tinge to the caves. Thanks anyway though.

A slightly wild guess - based on it being another game I know of on the Gateway System, but one I don't recall all that much about other than that it was a 2D sidescroller: Hagane?

N4Us

My dad found a box of Commodore 64 disks when I was a kid, and I would pop a random one in, play for half an hour, and move to the next. One that I remember enjoying was some sort of 1 on 1 competition, where both players flew around on disks trying to beat the other. I remember it was sort of a top-down view, but I could never remember the name after that first playthrough. Anyone?

Hyper Duel?

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Hyper_Duel

And since I'm bumping this, might as well ask this one again:

N4Us said:
Hope I wasn't the only one in the world who played this: It was a Mac/PC point and click game based off a children's book about this guy who lived with some witches, I believe. The guy's name was Stanley, I think, and he was trying to learn magic. In the game you basically dick around town doing random sidequests.

Any help would be appreciated, the name for this has been killing me for a while and Google isn't helping.

All else I remember from this was that the game starts when Stanley's folding laundry outside.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Squishy said:
Ok, my memory of this game is very vague, but maybe someone will know.

When I was about 6 years old I went to England for a holiday with my parents, flying with Singapore Airlines. On the plane, they had Super Nintendos with a whole bunch of games, all of the games I can remember except one. They had Super Mario World, Tetris and Doctor Mario, Super BC Kid (AKA Super Bonk), Zelda: ALttP and the one which I don't know the name. It was a sidescrolling game and it had some guy in it shooting people in what I think I remember being a cave. There were bridges in it as well, but that's all I can remember. And no, it's not Super Metroid. Anybody know?
I remember there being a green tinge to the caves.
Flashback?

flashback.gif

Dunno if someone has already asked for it but here goes mine...

First it's a NES game.

Second it was sort of a skateboard game, I think you saw the action a bit like the current isometric 3D SRPGs and you had to jump over obstacles on the road (background were of a city if I remember correctly).
I think you could play with another player but I'm not sure. I also think there were CPU-controlled opponents for the "race".

It's been a long time now that I try to remember that game's name, I played a lot of it back in the day and unfortunately due to a poor sense of values, I sold it when I was young.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
InternHertz said:

First it's a NES game.

Second it was sort of a skateboard game, I think you saw the action a bit like the current isometric 3D SRPGs and you had to jump over obstacles on the road (background were of a city if I remember correctly).
I think you could play with another player but I'm not sure. I also think there were CPU-controlled opponents for the "race".

It's been a long time now that I try to remember that game's name, I played a lot of it back in the day and unfortunately due to a poor sense of values, I sold it when I was young.

Skate or Die?

Gravijah

Think I asked this before, don't remember ever getting answered... Early 90s arcade game. Similar to the space levels in Star Fox 1. Meteors and stuff everywhere.

Nope, it had no "minigames" in it I think, only races.

Oh and I think the characters were some sort of punks or at least they were no mister nobodies, they were really different from clean heroes.

Maybe the vibe of the game was affected by the rock music genre.

Celine

InternHertz said:
Nope, it had no "minigames" in it I think, only races.

Oh and I think the characters were some sort of punks or at least they were no mister nobodies, they were really different from clean heroes.

Maybe the vibe of the game was affected by the rock music genre.
Then try Skate or Die 2.

Celine said:
Then try Skate or Die 2.

Nope, it wasn't that.

The city was more post-apocalyptic, it was really run down and also, the action was seen from higher than skate or die 1/2.
I remember the game to be quite difficult (or maybe it was my age) but what you had to dodge were pitholes, junk etc, and there were some good jumps. Roads were like corridors, you couldn't go anywhere else than the path set for the goal, but that doesn't mean the road were one big line, they could curve and go in different directions (thus, your character could also face another way on the screen than just down-right).

mclem

InternHertz said:
Nope, it wasn't that.

The city was more post-apocalyptic, it was really run down and also, the action was seen from higher than skate or die 1/2.
I remember the game to be quite difficult (or maybe it was my age) but what you had to dodge were pitholes, junk etc, and there were some good jumps. Roads were like corridors, you couldn't go anywhere else than the path set for the goal, but that doesn't mean the road were one big line, they could curve and go in different directions (thus, your character could also face another way on the screen than just down-right).

Rollerblade Racer?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/rollerblade-racer

GaussTek

This is a special request heh, as this is not an old game, and perhaps it didn't make to be a full game at all :lol

Anyway, I remember seeing some screenshots about a game that was incredible detailed (graphically), very reminiscent to what The Getaway demo for PS3 looked like, with a very detailed city, except that in this one there was a person in there with white shirt/clothes (I think) , which was also a very detailed model (or at least from what I remember, probably now it looks bad lol).

After remembering about it a few weeks ago, yep I thought it was The Getaway, but I really can't find the screenshot with the guy I remember in there lol. There are some screens at IGN with persons in there, but I'm pretty sure is not the one I saw a few years ago.

I don't remember the platforms neither if it was in real-time. But I do remember it showed around the time we started to see some videos about "next gen" (current gen now), like the Madden NFL 'next gen' trailer, that showcased how the games could look like.

So that was vague :lol Hope my mind isn't messed up, I hope someone can remember what the hell was that game or demo.

distrbnce

Banned
InternHertz said:

First it's a NES game.

587060_46856.jpg

720_Degrees_03.gif

This one?

EDIT: Oops, missed your other post... I'm at a loss too then.

nope, not that one either ^^;

Graphics were better than those games, I really think it was a cool looking game, probably late in the cycle of the NES.

GaussTek

Dr Zhivago said:
http://scrawlfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2days.jpg[IMG]

2 Days to Vegas?[/QUOTE]

Oh man, thanks a lot, that's the one :lol How could I forget the name.

And this is the guy I remembered:

[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/118/927941_20050429_screen007.jpg

As I expected it doesn't look that great now :lol

Edit: oh s*** apparently this game is still coming.

I'm thinking of a game that I played in the mid-early-90's (PC CD-ROM, back when that was relatively new). It was a Sierra-type adventure game (though NOT made by Sierra, at least I don't think). I think you played a detective, maybe trying to solve a murder? In parts of it you were infiltrating a building with some kind of advanced security system (the only part I really remember because it was so aggravating). It may have had a semi - futuristic setting and maybe some FMV.

It was all over the bargain bins for a long time. I want to say it was called Metropolis (even though it wasn't).

mollipen

InternHertz said:
Nope it's not that one :( However I'm really wondering if the characters were on skateboards in my game, maybe they were on rollers. Something related to heavy metal ou rock music ?

Gah it's been torturing me for months I really can't remember which game that was :(

Doubt it's this, but just in case, Rollergames? There are some part that could possibly fit into some of the descriptions you've given. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AojVMEnt4

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
K I got one. I'm not 100% sure but I wanna say it was for the Dreamcast or maybe PS1. It was part of a demo disc, I know I didn't have the full version. The game was almost like a rollercoaster game. You're just sliding around on rails and it had really great, upbeat music. Really vibrant colors. Damn, I should have asked this earlier because I don't remember many of the details at all. It may not even be a really obscure game but it's one that I can't remember the name of for shit. I think if you link me videos I'd be able to say for sure whether or not it's the game.

Daft_Cat

I've been trying to remember the name of the first PC shooter my dad bought for me some time between 1996-1998. It was set in the future and the first level was within this metallic (I think) blue office building and the sky was red if I remember correctly. The main character was a total dudebro..a Duke Nukem type. I'm pretty sure the games title was like a city and some future date. Los Angeles 2055 or something like that.

I was thinking of tracking the game down for nostalgic value but for the life of me I can't remember the damn name:lol .

Len1978

Trying to remember a game I used to play on the 2600 when i was young. If i remember right the main guy had a cowboy hat and a riffle thats all i can remember...I can't recall what it was i shooting, but this was my fav game when i was a little one in the early 80's. I would love to no what this game is so i can buy it or play it. Thanks

protonion

drmcclin said:
I'm thinking of a game that I played in the mid-early-90's (PC CD-ROM, back when that was relatively new). It was a Sierra-type adventure game (though NOT made by Sierra, at least I don't think). I think you played a detective, maybe trying to solve a murder? In parts of it you were infiltrating a building with some kind of advanced security system (the only part I really remember because it was so aggravating). It may have had a semi - futuristic setting and maybe some FMV.

It was all over the bargain bins for a long time. I want to say it was called Metropolis (even though it wasn't).

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_1_2

This one?

mclem

Len1978 said:
Trying to remember a game I used to play on the 2600 when i was young. If i remember right the main guy had a cowboy hat and a riffle thats all i can remember...I can't recall what it was i shooting, but this was my fav game when i was a little one in the early 80's. I would love to no what this game is so i can buy it or play it. Thanks

Outlaw? Either that or Custer's Revenge, and I really hope it wasn't the latter :)

How about this one? Played this at a friends house a long time ago only once.

All I know is the system wasn't the NES, it was an 80's game, a platformer, and I think the first level was set in a cloud area.

protonion

SlipperySlope said:
Hmm. I think he may have been talking about Tex Murphy 3: Under a Killing Moon. There's a building in that game with security in the form of a robot that roams around. You have to stay away from it, or else it's an instant death.

But UAKM isn't about a murder case... Besides all the games have an infiltration scenario. Actually I've never played the first two and I love Tex Murphy!

shidoshi said:
Doubt it's this, but just in case, Rollergames? There are some part that could possibly fit into some of the descriptions you've given. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AojVMEnt4

Know what, from all the different propositions I got from fellow members, yours is really the nearest, but I don't remember my game to have those beat-them-up mechanics...

Thanks to all though, I didn't say it before but I'm grateful for all submissions even if they're not what I'm looking for!

protonion said:
But UAKM isn't about a murder case... Besides all the games have an infiltration scenario. Actually I've never played the first two and I love Tex Murphy!

Hmm. Good points. We'll ask him the definitive question:

Were any parts of the game real-time 3D?

Mato

I need your help people.

10 -12 years ago I remeber seeing a video preview of a game. It a 32-bit era game. Maybe it was on PS1, maybe Saturn, maybe even PC.

I believe it was in first person. I think it was mostly about exploration. I think it was set in some kind of medieval, european-looking city that had a name like Turin or something. In fact I think the game was called like that. I think it was set in a warm sunlit afternoon.

Anyone remember anything of the like?

BiggNife

Since it looks like the other thread is going to be banished to obscurity in favor of bringing this one back, I guess I'll repost this:

Okay I'm blanking on a game I remember playing at an arcade in Pennsylvania ages ago

It was a light gun game where you had to stop an alien invasion. Similar to Area 51, except instead of being in a facility it took place in a city, and there were UFOs abducting people that you had to shoot down. If you didn't shoot down the UFO, civilians would be beamed up to the ship and then beamed back down as mutant-like monsters.

I thought it was called Invasion or something like that but Google isn't helping.

Len1978

Well after pulling up some vids on these titles I'm 100% sure these aren't the game i was trying to remember. Thanks anyway

Been trying to remember the name of this damn game for years; all I can remember:

-It was a Sega Genesis game

-Side Scrolling action game

- I believe there were two male, young protagonists (brothers?)

- Maybe you fought a lot of green goo?

- On the title screen they would say stuff like "cool!" and "A-A-A-Awesome!"

dammit that's all I can remember

Bay Maximus said:
Been trying to remember the name of this damn game for years; all I can remember:

-It was a Sega Genesis game

-Side Scrolling action game

- I believe there were two male, young protagonists (brothers?)

- Maybe you fought a lot of green goo?

- On the title screen they would say stuff like "cool!" and "A-A-A-Awesome!"

dammit that's all I can remember
Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators?

Top Bottom