• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Starviper

Anybody remember this racing game for N64, set in the future with motorcycles? Your basic weapon was this laser and you could destroy the other racers by picking up various weapons on the track. Had a pretty bangin' soundtrack too if I remember correctly.

eliochip

Ok heres one I'm not even sure exists. It's been haunting me for years

It's a PSX game...i think

I remember two protagonists (one dude with brown mullet like hair i think..maybe with a headband? and some girl)

You fight robots with guns and collect keycards.

The beginning starts with "In the year 2004...." ...or was it 2014? it was somewhere in the future

I probably described just about sci fi futuristic game that came out for PSX but this specific game has been on the tip of my tongue for years and I cannot find the name of it.

EDIT: Its not Metal Gear Solid

mclem

Anybody remember this racing game for N64, set in the future with motorcycles? Your basic weapon was this laser and you could destroy the other racers by picking up various weapons on the track. Had a pretty bangin' soundtrack too if I remember correctly.
Extreme G?

Bii

Extreme-G or its sequel, Extreme-G 2?

Ok heres one I'm not even sure exists. It's been haunting me for years

It's a PSX game...i think

I remember two protagonists (one dude with brown mullet like hair i think..maybe with a headband? and some girl)

You fight robots with guns and collect keycards.

The beginning starts with "In the year 2004...." ...or was it 2014? it was somewhere in the future

I probably described just about sci fi futuristic game that came out for PSX but this specific game has been on the tip of my tongue for years and I cannot find the name of it.

EDIT: Its not Metal Gear Solid

T.R.A.G?

Calibus

Got another one.

Platform: Genesis

Time Frame: Very Early 90's

Theme: Fighter

What I Recall: It was a monster fighting game. You might have been able to customize your creature, but I think they had just a few pre-sets. There was a lizardman and some naga looking creature from what I remember, plus undoubtedly many others. You fought in an actual ring and in between matches, the coach/promoter/whatever was this creepy looking guy with a dark cloak pulled over his body and most of his face. Was a pretty difficult game as I recall.

Yakumo

Banned
Got another one.

Platform: Genesis

Time Frame: Very Early 90's

Theme: Fighter

What I Recall: It was a monster fighting game. You might have been able to customize your creature, but I think they had just a few pre-sets. There was a lizardman and some naga looking creature from what I remember, plus undoubtedly many others. You fought in an actual ring and in between matches, the coach/promoter/whatever was this creepy looking guy with a dark cloak pulled over his body and most of his face. Was a pretty difficult game as I recall.
That would either be Beast Warriors by Riot or Fighting Masters by Treco. Both pretty awful games but will have to say Beast Warriors would be the worst.

Yakumo

Banned
A Dragon Lair like animated FMV PC game taking place in a castle with the enemy being a witch. The protagonist wasn't blond and wore contemporary clothes.
Sounds like Brain Dead 13. that was set in a castle and the protagonist wore normal clothing. I'm not sure if it was on the PC but it was sure on the Saturn and arcade.

braindead-f.jpg

This one has been bugging me for years.

Platform: PC

Year: somewhere in the nineties.

Genre: Myst style/puzzle

I played the game at the a computer store years and years ago, this was back when Myst was all the rage. I had never played Myst before, and I actually mistook this game for it.

What I remember: It was a lot darker then Myst, and seemed to in a dungeon/underground type place. There was a weird triangle at the top of the screen that was part of HUD, and I believe a face would sort of emerge from it when you clicked on it.

I think I remember a puzzle involving some sort of chest with insects inside that you had to control.

Funny thing was after I returned home, I did some research and discovered that the game I played wasn't Myst. So I returned to the store to figure out what the game was, to find that the display had been, in fact, replaced with Myst. It was a shame, since I liked the first game a played better. I ended up buying Myst instead and tried to push it out of mind, but I always have still kind of wonder what the game was I had played.

Its been so long, my memories may be a little fuzzy. I've searched for hours online and never found it what the game was.

Any ideas?

Ooaclouds

Neo Member
ok here's one....
although i don't think i'd have a really good description of it
i remember it being an single player RPG :O

anywho, first of all, played this game in year 2000 on a pc, but dunno when it came out
2nd, characters are "cute" looking, like RO-ish but not as good, borders are somewhat smooth nice, no weird/sharp edges for graphic
3rd, i vaguely remember walking up to a castles, and entering, castle was all dark and you then fighting monsters randomly to level up, don't remember what monsters, but i recall you can set up spells on a panel like RO and set the to certain keys
there is a map/radar but it only shows like within a certain radius
4th. i mainly remember being a mage/wizard thing, although i think you can be other characters. :|

the mages look like a simpler drawing of lulu from ff9.
it's just a really simple drawing of a mage, it was green i remember :O
you walk around from a bird's eye view.

towns are medieval-ish with of course castles

i know this is quite a bad description but i've gave up all hope TT, been searching for too long!
thank youuuuuu in advance to anyone who knows this game

Pandemic

I've been looking for a thread like this!

Does anyone remember a game, not sure if it was on PS2/PS1, where you were a roman (I think he was Roman) soldier. I played the demo, but in the demo you were basically protecting a castle where all these other guys were trying to get through, by using the thing ont he left of this image,
rome-total-war-20040927110921299.jpg

You'd also have team mates that would come out of nearby buildings, and this would be reoccuring.

So you'd protect that, then you'd eventually plant bombs on all 3 of those tower things, then you'd have to run to another side to protect something.

Any ideas?

DTJAAAAM

I've been looking for a thread like this!

Does anyone remember a game, not sure if it was on PS2/PS1, where you were a roman (I think he was Roman) soldier. I played the demo, but in the demo you were basically protecting a castle where all these other guys were trying to get through, by using the thing ont he left of this image,
rome-total-war-20040927110921299.jpg

You'd also have team mates that would come out of nearby buildings, and this would be reoccuring.

So you'd protect that, then you'd eventually plant bombs on all 3 of those tower things, then you'd have to run to another side to protect something.

Any ideas?

Spartan: Total Warrior?

I dunno, maybe it was Adventure of Lomax. It was a side scroller starring a wizard. I am totally reaching here tho. The Wizard doesn't have a smiley face for head and has a purple shirt/clothes with a red cape. But it was a long time ago so those memories are probably fuzzy anyway.

it's definitely not a wizard but it has a some kind of smiley-face - was it Eggs of Steel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfvg795l6sk

or maybe Pandemonium! instead of a wizard, it was a jester (purple'ish) and there was some magic involved.

None of those unfortunately, but thanks for the effort. It's odd that I remember the video so clearly in my head, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just some dream I had as a kid :D

Black and white PS1 game similar to Intelligent Qube in a way but there were enemies in white clothing. I think you could throw grenades at them; not sure about shooting. I don't remember much else :\

Giygas AF

Can't remember the platform but I believe it was SNES. The game was a 2d sidescroller action/platformer in the vein of contra and battletoads. However you played as dinosaurs with guns. Thants about all I remember.

Giygas AF

That must be it. We had a Genesis as well. I remember playing Donald Duck Quackshot, Mickey's Castle of Illusion, Road Rash, and Altered Beast. :)

Wiktor

ok here's one....
although i don't think i'd have a really good description of it
i remember it being an single player RPG :O

anywho, first of all, played this game in year 2000 on a pc, but dunno when it came out
2nd, characters are "cute" looking, like RO-ish but not as good, borders are somewhat smooth nice, no weird/sharp edges for graphic
3rd, i vaguely remember walking up to a castles, and entering, castle was all dark and you then fighting monsters randomly to level up, don't remember what monsters, but i recall you can set up spells on a panel like RO and set the to certain keys
there is a map/radar but it only shows like within a certain radius
4th. i mainly remember being a mage/wizard thing, although i think you can be other characters. :|

the mages look like a simpler drawing of lulu from ff9.
it's just a really simple drawing of a mage, it was green i remember :O
you walk around from a bird's eye view.

towns are medieval-ish with of course castles

i know this is quite a bad description but i've gave up all hope TT, been searching for too long!
thank youuuuuu in advance to anyone who knows this game
Can you tell me if the graphics were 2D or 3D? Maybe mix of both? And was the combat real-time or turn-based? Or maybe hack-n-slash

robo_qwop

A SNES game that used the directionals and abxy buttons as separate cross pads, letting you control two characters on screen that were connected by a wire used to encircle enemies. There were pegs, too, that the wire would wrap around. That's all I can remember and it haunts my dreams. Any clue?

Giygas AF

Another one. This was a 90's pc educational game. You were a young kid walking around factories/sciency buildings. I remember you possibly having a flashlight or something to stun robots in the hallway. There were minigames that you had to create circuits using wires, batteries, lightbulbs, etc.

Edit: Disregard I found the game. Gizmos & Gadgets!

Teppic

Oh fuck, I hope it was Arc the Lad 1 and not 2

Or you'll make me look like an idiot
To be fair it's probably Arc the Lad collection. It's 4 CD's and have Arc the Lad 1,2,3 and Arena. 1&2 both had the drummer boy, and I think you fight your counterparts in Arc the Lad II, which would be the second disc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am looking for an early 90s Math edutainment game called Mathville. So, uh, I do remember the name. The problem is it doesn't have have a page on Mobygames. I googled it and I can find other Edutainment software called Mathville, but not the one I played. It was in schools in Eastern Canada. It ran on Windows 3.1. There was a section involving ice cream scoops.

I am looking for an early 90s Math edutainment game called Mathville. So, uh, I do remember the name. The problem is it doesn't have have a page on Mobygames. I googled it and I can find other Edutainment software called Mathville, but not the one I played. It was in schools in Eastern Canada. It ran on Windows 3.1. There was a section involving ice cream scoops.

Perhaps it's seen updates to run on modern computers but is this it? http://ingenuityworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82

One of the screenshots shows ice cream scoops.

Toppot

Seems it might be more commonly known as Mathville Starway/VIP? Made in Toronto. Windows 3.1, Courseware Solutions Inc., 1998.

ajzNQzV.gif

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM411063&R=411063
http://www.worldcat.org/title/mathville-starway/oclc/044275227
http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math/5/vip/merge.shtml
http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1282822038_mathville_vip

You can borrow copies from some Canadian libraries it seems, if you actually want to get hold of it, and assuming its the game you are on about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Perhaps it's seen updates to run on modern computers but is this it? http://ingenuityworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82

One of the screenshots shows ice cream scoops.

That's not how I remember it looking at all but it'd be a heckuva coincidence if there was another Mathville that also had ice cream scoops. I think it's possible that it's the same company and game but updated, like you mention.

The screenshot in the third link sent up instant memory flairs for me, so I think this might be it, but the Starway description made it seem like it was about outer space which was definitely incorrect. Hmm. 1998 is definitely way too late year-wise too.

Het_Nkik

It's probably from the same company that comes up when you search for Mathville now, right? They're located in Toronto and it says they've been making edutainment titles since 1985. They probably just don't have any of their old software listed on their site. I just e-mailed them asking about a Windows 3.1 version of Mathville : p

Toppot

The screenshot in the third link sent up instant memory flairs for me, so I think this might be it, but the Starway description made it seem like it was about outer space which was definitely incorrect. Hmm. 1998 is definitely way too late year-wise too.

1998 was version 22 of the software, so its possible you used an earlier version, most versions probably consisted of keeping up to date with the curriculum rather than an overhaul of the software. The memory flair is probably a good indicator it's the right game IMO. Starway might be just a name for a collection of the software or could mean 'helping pupils on their way to becoming stars/star pupils' or something =P.

That game on Super Nintendo I was so addicted too!

A small kid from flinstone's age I think, he's bald, and he has a big head.

Anyone?

Het_Nkik

That's not how I remember it looking at all but it'd be a heckuva coincidence if there was another Mathville that also had ice cream scoops. I think it's possible that it's the same company and game but updated, like you mention.

Here's the reply to that e-mail I sent out:

Hi Seth,

Thank you for your interest in Mathville. You are definitely at the right place. Courseware Solutions is the creator of the Mathville series and holds the copyright to all of the associated games. Since the late '80s we have had various versions of Mathville for DOS, MAC, Windows, etc., and have had a number of different variations and grade levels. I'm not sure which specific version your friend is looking for, but I can direct you to our current free versions on the web.
Mathville Middle School: http://mathville.com/mspreview/
Mathville Grade 1: http://mathville.com/grade1/
Mathville Grade 2: http://www.gotkidsgames.com/mv2/

These three versions of Mathville are still in use in schools across North America. As for the old diskettes and CDs of Mathville KidWay, Mathville JungleWay, SpeedWay, WaterWay, StarWay, Mathville Jr, Mathville 1, 2, 3! and Mathville MIddle School, we are currently out of stock, but I imagine that there are still a few kicking around in the schools.

If you have any further questions about Mathville, I'd be happy to answer them.

Janis

I figure the bolded names of all the old Mathville titles might help you out since Starway wasn't doing it for you.

IMACOMPUTA

I have two games!

First one - NES game - You fight skeletons and stuff and have a bird. I feel like the game had the word "eye" in the title.

Second one - Genesis game - I played this game at a friends house a loooooong time ago. I never knew what it was called and it was really cool. Its 2 players and you're running around in caves shooting ooze and stuff. I dont remember much about it but you upgrade your gun i think. I remember it being really hard.

I have two games!

First one - NES game - You fight skeletons and stuff and have a bird. I feel like the game had the word "eye" in the title.

Second one - Genesis game - I played this game at a friends house a loooooong time ago. I never knew what it was called and it was really cool. Its 2 players and you're running around in caves shooting ooze and stuff. I dont remember much about it but you upgrade your gun i think. I remember it being really hard.

8 Eyes and Todd's Adventures in Slime World?

Garraboa

I hope the game I'm thinking of is not a booltleg.

It's an arcade game in which you play as a prisoner (in striped B&W garb) trying to escape from some mines while avoiding the guards. It's 8-bit (or close to that), it was all in Russian and when you got game over it played a song related to new year.

inm8num2

There was a Nintendo game. A platformer.

I barely remember details, but the end of the game had you going into a Samurai castle or something. It felt like a cross of Ninja Gaiden and Kung Fu.

I honestly have no idea what the hell that game was but I remember the visuals of the last level. A light brown interior castle. Japanese-themed, I think.

hausaffe

Banned
A PC game at the time where lemmings and ufo: enemy unknown were big. So Dos. Is was a 2d puzzler with ants. You had to collect letters. At the end it would speak a word I think. The ants would carry the letters.

Ediy: it's called pushover. Just found it myself. Thanks to the thread anyway.

This should be an easy one. The Dreamcast thread had me thinking about it and, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of this game.

It was action adventure game kind of in the vein of Shenmue, but I believe it came out before Shenmue. You played as either a bounty hunter or a cop. You had a motorcycle that you rode between missions. The main character I believe wore jeans, a blue shirt and sunglasses. That's about all I can remember about. It may have been set in the future, but I don't remember.

Nevermind: I just remembered it. Headhunter.

mrplaid

There was a Nintendo game. A platformer.

I barely remember details, but the end of the game had you going into a Samurai castle or something. It felt like a cross of Ninja Gaiden and Kung Fu.

I honestly have no idea what the hell that game was but I remember the visuals of the last level. A light brown interior castle. Japanese-themed, I think.

Maybe Legend of Kage?

A Sega Genesis game, and you were in a circus maybe? It was a platformer. Wasn't Aero the Acrobat though.

You could get abilities, like a shadow self that circled you. Always remembered renting it, but can't think of the name.

Top Bottom