• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You Were 100% Wrong About

SkylineRKR

FFXVI looked to be a contender for one of the series best, and when the demo came out there was still nothing going on.

But the full game is just a boring piece of shit and its the only mainline FF I did not complete yet. Its not worse than XIII and XV, but XIII at least had a fun and challenging battle system and XV had some exploration and secrets.

L*][*N*K

Banned
The Last of Us Part II, I thought it will be great and it. I could say the same for God of War Ragnorak but after Part II I learned to Curb My Enthusiasm when it comes to "Epic Story based games with characters screaming a lot"

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Jesus fuck, how do you still exist here? I blocked your shit and accidentally “show ignored content”.
Littlest regret I’ve ever had in my life blocking your 🤡 show.
I know the answer to my own question tho…gold.

Never once seen a gold get banned in on Gaf.
I paid for his gold and I have you blocked but I'm gonna give you some insight. Also keep crying FF XVI Paladin, game is garbage.

Zuzu

I thought that Hogwart’s Legacy would be a failure because the preview footage looked boring and the developer’s didn’t have a track record of releasing games anywhere close to the scope of Legacy. But I was totally wrong. The game is excellent and they’ve captured the world of Harry Potter so well.

That's how I feel. Granted I didn't beat bloodborne, but I imagine I got fairly far.

Tried DS Remake, and couldn't get very far as it's too slow for me and I didn't enjoy grinding it out.
same! I dint beat Bloodborne but I loved the time I spent with it , same I tried DS remake and well I should try to get back into it..

Death Stranding. I didn't get it at first but building roads and the limits to what can be built made sense after and I kind of enjoyed building a ziplining network.
- Death Stranding:
I’m glad that more and more people have given this game a second try after the dust settled.

I feel like way too many MGS fans and Silent Hill/P.T. fans were beyond critical of the game not being stealth action and not being Silent Hills-like.

I also feel like now Kojima could be more artistic and make another game based on a weird mechanic, because people won’t be as critical the second time around, since Death Stranding already exists.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Erm, ffxvi. After the demo and opening area I thought it was going to be really great, it just got progressively worse. Such a shame.

Sunset overdrive, I thought looked awful from the reveal trailer and first hour or so..but I love insomniac so I stuck with it. Incredible game.

Demons souls....tried it for like 30 mins on ps3 and thought it wasn't for me. Came back to it after binging dark soule one and while I think it's probably the weakest souls game due to them more getting to grips with what a souls game is, it is still great. The remake is still probably the most technically impressive remake ever....that audio! Holy poop!

Crackdown 3, I enjoyed as I didn't drive and just collected orbs up until completion, nice hdr and good jumping fun.

Bioshock 1...didn't look like my cup of tea from the art style, maybe...not sure....something made me think I wouldn't love it. One of the best ever.

I think the definitive version of Final Fantasy 16 is going to be the eventual PC mod called “Final Fantasy 16 Abridged”. It will be a 20-30ish hour experience, and whoever makes the mod will be applauded for years to come for fixing the pacing of the game.

Dragon's Dogma. I played it once and never touched it again until years later, when it finally clicked
and I did 5 consecutive playthroughs trying different classes and pawn setups.

Bitterblack Isle is among the best expansions ever released for a game, and Daimon is one of the best boss fights featured in an arpg.
Everything they've shown for part 2 looks true to the original. Can't wait.

elbourreau

mSDAJpV.jpg

Couldn't play 30min, couldn't stand the prologue section. Tried 3 or 4 times...

After that, it clicked, and I was all in in gerajt'arm. Huge fan of books and games since then.

Roberts

Hmm, maybe Yakuza 0. I've tried a few Yakuza games over the years and dropped them fast. I just didn't understand the appeal. Many years later something clicked and enjoyed Yakuza 0 - not everything works for me, but it was a pretty good game. Liked Like a Dragon even more.

GymWolf

botw must be the bigger from all the recent ones.

I love open world and physics so this was a game made for me...too bad the physics system was kinda of the only thing worthy in that game, and after the first 10 magical hours the whole facade start to miserably crumble.

But yeah there are a lot of recent examples, from callisto to ff16 etc.

From the positive examples, the biggest must be mhw, since i hated the series when it was on portable consoles and then it became the game where i have the biggest number hours of playtime ever.

Last edited:

Hoppa

RDR2 - The intro was incredibly slow and to make it worse you're trudging through snow and the character moves like a tank underwater, horrible first impression but I stuck it out and when it started taking off it didn't stop. Amazing game, easily one of my favorites

Assassin's Creed: Unity. Those launch problems were so bad, it out me off playing Assassin's Creed for years. It was when I finally got around playing it after all those patches did I find it the best AC mechanics and the most gorgeous game in the entire franchise history.

Now, if Ubi got their shit together remaking a AC1 with this attention to detail and they will, for the first time get my money day one.

Till then, all future AC titles will be wait-for-sale.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not typically a fan of very difficult games, but both Bloodborne and Elden Ring surprised me. Those games were captivating and made me want to git gud.

The Metroid Prime remaster for Switch. I never played the original, and looking at other Nintendo remasters I wasn't expecting much. It turned out to be phenomenal for me. Just a really great game all around and they added some good control scheme changes.

GTA V - At 1st didn't like it only to then fall in love with the game.

What Remains of Edith Finch - Played it like for like 10 mins and thought it was boring crap, until some friends talked about the game and how amazing the end section to the game was and I'm so glad I listen to them.

Daytona USA (AM#2 Saturn) - When I 1st got it on import I almost cried I was so letdown and disappointed until the boss at my import shop started to say how amazing the Saturn version really was. It still remains my fav version of the game.

Beetle Adventure Racing - It came when I was all but giving up on the N64 and never gave it a chance only to then play it down a mate's house and release what a fun and brilliant game it was

Drizzlehell

Banned
I hated Dark Souls when it first came out and I thought that everyone collectively lost their fucking minds for being so obsessed with that game. It ran like absolute ass on consoles, everything from graphics to animations looked janky as hell, and it was just this weird-ass Japanese game that tried to imitate a western RPG and failing miserably at it. I thought that everyone who was into it was just being a Japanophile idiot.

Then I gave it a shot and it only reinforced my hatred for it because I spend around 30 hours banging my head against a wall and never even got past Undead Parish/Darkroot Garden.

But then Dark Souls 2 came out, it turned out to have a much more forgiving difficulty curve, and somehow I got into it and loved the experience. Then the remastered version of DS came out so I decided to give it another go, and this time everything fell into place. I finished the whole thing in a couple of days and now it remains my favourite Souls game to date.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Scorn. Quit + uninstalled after an hour and not being able to solve the first riddle. After a few days i tried it again and loved it.

winjer

Gold Member
Prey 2017. I played the demo and I found it very boring.
The first hour, although essential to the story, drags on and on.
A year later, I decided to push trough and found out there was a great game in there. One of the very best that was ever made.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Guardians of the Galaxy: I looked into this quite a bit before buying on sale, and I found the combat to be a lot more fun than I expected. Dialogue was also very enjoyable.

Animal Crossing: I never understood the point. I can do this shit in the real world, why would I want to do it in a game? But New Leaf was just a fun, chill game to just mess around with. I wasn’t so much into the social aspect, but I loved collecting fossils to donate to the museum, as well as different fish. Saving for projects to make the town better. It was a fun experience.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
HI FI Rush, while I didn’t expect it to be shit I had no real expectations and just downloaded it because it was a surprise drop…. Wow that was a good ride!! It had that coveted “wave of emotion” that AAA interactive movie games try to reach but in an actual game that’s built around gameplay not cutscenes.

Hudo

Dragon Quest 11 (S). Didn't think much of it (Yet another generic JRPG) and didn't think much of DQ in general. DQ11 made me a DQ fan. Best JRPG of the previous gen.

Witcher 3. Thought it was good for the first hour. After 10, I dropped it. Infuriating UI, bad to mediocre combat, world design is a bit too dense (but not on the same level as Ubisoft, who apparently have a fear of empty/negative spaces).

RDR2. Turned out to be pretty mediocre in all aspects except world design and graphics. Found the open-world pointless for the mission and narrative structure of the game.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
We have banned many folks who have Gold, some as recently in the past few days. It does not prevent banning.
I stand corrected. But that poster somehow dodged that bullet. They have legitimately taken every waking moment since FF16 was announced to cut into that game. They bashed it pre release and post release, and now we are in a “what game were you wrong about” thread and he’s bashing with no context when he was bashing before release too. No context and not saying they feel any different about it.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I stand corrected. But that poster somehow dodged that bullet. They have legitimately taken every waking moment since FF16 was announced to cut into that game. They bashed it pre release and post release, and now we are in a “what game were you wrong about” thread and he’s bashing with no context when he was bashing before release too. No context and not saying they feel any different about it.
People are allowed to have different opinions. Disliking FF16 is not worthy of a ban.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
People are allowed to have different opinions. Disliking FF16 is not worthy of a ban.
But the post context. Disliking it is fine, but saying it in a thread that asks what game your opinion was off about is fishing. But I get it, and I’ll leave it alone. Sorry for derailing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I wasn't hyped and wasn't sure if I'd like Ghostwire: Tokyo but I bought it because of the 'detective' aspect and man, I freaking fell in love with that game. 100% it, got the platinum over the course of 60+ hours. Legit one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and I'll probably buy a series s if the sequel turns out to be true.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sadly Sekiro. I understand it's a great game but I just couldn't gel with it in any way. And it's not a question of difficulty. Armored Core 6 is harder and has far more complex combat but that one got me hooked.

Bridges

I got NieR Automata on PS4 and thought it was overrated, boring and ugly. I could not understand all the hype, I think I dropped it after the fair level.

Years later it pops up on Xbox Game Pass, figure what the hell maybe I'll give it another shot, and I was hooked. Played the whole thing, got all of the (main) endings. Picked up Replicant when the remaster came out and loved it too. One of my favorite franchises now.

Honorable mention, I thought Avengers did not look like shit pre-release. When I played it, it was in fact shit.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A game I was wrong about?

Marvel vs. Capcom 2.....Played it hated it went back to MVC1 for years and years

Finally played the Arcade version during the lockdown game is DOPE.....holy shit is every single console port of that game so "off"
Like I heard something about the differences before but didn't know it was that bad?? IMO....none of the home versions are even playable competitively this is prob old news to a lot of people but I was out of the loop I guess

I'll also add Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. I tried both and just could not get over the frustration of constantly having my cheeks spread so ruthlessly. However, once I saw the first trailer for Elden Ring I knew I had to play it, so I went back and gave Dark Souls 3 an honest try. It was still frustrating as hell at first but it finally clicked and I absolutely loved it, which lead to playing Bloodborne again, which I also loved.

Spyxos

Gold Member
When I first played cyberpunk 2077, I didn't like it at all. German version of Male V is just terrible. Now I've played it through almost three times.

Bloodborne at first I also did not like that there are only a few weapons and so little armour and it seemed like a step backwards. At some point it clicked and I played it several times through and spent hundreds of hours in pvp. Now it is next to Sekiro my favorite From game.

Death Stranding

I literally only played it to confirm what shit it must be at first. GameFly. Ended up fucking glued to the screen for five or six hours into the morning and called in sick at work to play all day.

I can't even really define it but there is something so satisfying and addictive about it. It sounds like pure ass on paper and in theory but I could deliver those packages and build infrastructure forever

One of my games of the gen and started as a joke rental. I bashed it nonstop on forums prior to release lol.

200.gif

Last edited:

Thabass

Ocarina of Time. I distinctly remember not being at all hyped for it and a friend of mine was all about it. I basically said no thanks until I saw the reviews come out. On December 26th, 1998, I got Ocarina of Time and...yeah, I was fucking wrong. Before FFXIV/Tears of the Kingdom came out, it was my number 1 favorite game of all time. Now it's my number 3 favorite game of all time and my second favorite Zelda game ever.

Pidull

mSDAJpV.jpg

Couldn't play 30min, couldn't stand the prologue section. Tried 3 or 4 times...

After that, it clicked, and I was all in in gerajt'arm. Huge fan of books and games since then.
It took my third attempt for it to finally click, the previous two attempts I got pretty far into the first chapter and simply couldn't fall in love with it. Third attempt I loved it beginning to end.

Kingdom Hearts is my game, I borrowed it from a friend when it first released and couldn't get into it despite loving Disney and FF. I tried again when my parents got it as a gift for me, still hated it. Tried again as an adult, still couldn't enjoy it.

The 4th attempt, it clicked, and I couldn't put it down from beginning to end. Been considering a replay for a while now.

Top Bottom