• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're pretty sure only you have played

venom473

Didn't play this one, although we did own its sister game. I believe there was a trilogy of Playmobil games on PC.

PXmZMuG.jpg

Lol yeah I watched my sister play this, it was pretty good too. I think the third game was about some boy on a farm, never played it though.

I'll add a couple PC games to the pile.

First: Gazillionaire.

I picked this up at a Walmart on a whim. It ended up being my first trading simulation. Loved it at the time, and I still adore its quirkiness.

I also love that the most exotic things they could think of to put on the cover guy's space trading desk are cantaloupe, jelly beans and a lava lamp, hahaha!

Next up: FX Fighter

Like Gazillionaire, this was also a first picked up on a whim. This one is like a poor man's Virtua Fighter. I remember digging it at the time, but that was because I didn't have access to any of the "good" 3D fighting games. The characters are actually hilariously cheesy. Kind of fun to reminisce about, really.

Looking back at these two, apparently I was really swayed into a purchase by Green Space Dudes(tm). It was the '90s, okay!?

Robot Alchemic Drive.

I've brought it up once or twice here and no one ever says anything, so I'm guessing most haven't played it.

Loooove me some RAD. There was nothing like it at the time. I only have a disc copy used from Rogers. It was the only time I ever saw it for a decent price. I think I paid ~$10.

any time I bring up these 3 games to my friends no one has a clue what I'm talking about. Michael jackson's moonwalker, myst and discworld.

You're bringing up Myst? Seriously? The PC version alone has sold over 6 million copies, not to mention all of the ports and sequels...

Hardly ever see mention of any of these, I loved all of them:

MG7ki5Y.jpg

Rocket Jockey! That's a game I never see mentioned. I only ever played the demo, but when I was a poor kid, it was one of my most-played things. That and the Quake shareware, haha.

Garnox

Going to go with some older games that don't seem to have been re-released since, making it harder for people today to play who might not have had the chance:
250px-Gumshoebox.jpg

220px-Cobra_Command_Cover.jpg

54975-BreakThru_(USA)-1495676290.png

A point-and-click game from the 90s about a witch's house. Like you'd click the toilet handle, and the toilet'd flush. I have never ever seen this game again, but I assure you it is real!

Only problem is I can't remember where it was from, I don't even know if it was international or Norwegian in origin. A pretty simple 2D point and click game.

It bothers me I don't remember more, but since it's impossible to find on the internet, I feel like the only one who knows of its existence.

Cracklox

Neogaf, I present to you this game

images

Now I'm sure others have played it, but I'm almost certain no-one on Gaf has. I've tested this by mentioning it more then a few times here or there in posts, to absolutely zero reaction. Its by the same guys who made some Souls series of games which I hear is big around these parts, which makes it even weirder

Anyway fuck anyone that says otherwise, I thought it was great. Stupid, over the top, mindless fun. And you could play as a clown ninja.

I've never met anyone else who has played Forgotten Worlds on the C64. Although I'm sure there are a few on here.

Haha. I'm pretty sure I did as a kid. I think there was an arcade version as well, if I'm thinking of the right game

-edit- Just checked the wiki, and yep, pumped a lot of hard earned pocket money into one of those machines. We had a c64 too, but I can't remember having that on it

Pietepiet

Creature Crunch. It's insane how almost no one mentions it. I love it. Pretty hard to find information tho.

Came here to post this game. A few months ago I spent a good while trying to remember the name, only to find out that I wasn't getting any results because the name was localised to Monster Mix here in the Netherlands. Man, I loved this game.

516ZPonll2L.jpg

Duck City was one I played a ton as a kid. I don't even remember much of it, just that it was all minigames with ducks? I think?

bluehat9

It's kind of crazy how ive played just about all the n64 games listed. Living near a Blockbuster will do that I guess.

Anyone else ever play Ribbit King on gamecube? You played golf with frogs as the ball. Still have it somewhere.

Drek

images

Now I'm sure others have played it, but I'm almost certain no-one on Gaf has. I've tested this by mentioning it more then a few times here or there in posts, to absolutely zero reaction. Its by the same guys who made some Souls series of games which I hear is big around these parts, which makes it even weirder

Anyway fuck anyone that says otherwise, I thought it was great. Stupid, over the top, mindless fun. And you could play as a clown ninja.
The producer and designer on Ninja Blade were Takeuchi, Hamatani and Nakaoka while Miyazaki was the lead on Demon's Souls with Sony's Takeshi Kajii producing. Takeuchi is still listed as producer but the entire development story on Demon's Souls is about how the game was floundering until Miyazaki, inspired by Kajii's Fighting Fantasy and other early role playing books, grabbed the reigns.

Takeuchi was instrumental in the Otogi series though, which gets a lot of love from some here as well. Not Souls level but has its advocates.

My offering:
Below the Root, a C64 game with story and setting by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Pics:
belowtheroot.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Justinh

If you played the 80s version you're probably a little older than me (I turn 30 soon for reference) but did you ever play Treasure Mountain, same company?

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/screenshots/s/super-solvers-treasure-mountain-s4/super-solvers-treasure-mountain_16.png[/IMG]
https://lparchive.org/Super-Solvers-Series/Update 13/img-15.gif
https://lparchive.org/Super-Solvers-Series/Update 11/img-23.png
Whoa. I played Midnight Rescue all the time when I was a kid, but I've seen it mentioned on message boards before. I liked math when I was a kid so I got along with it, lol. I guess I knew they made other games, it's just weird finally seeing screenshots of that guy in different games.

Die Hard: Vendetta on the GameCube, loved it!
Wait, this was actually good? I remember looking forward to it, but then passing on it because I heard it was not worth buying. I blame the i-Gamecube boards at IGN (back when you had to pay to use their forums).

I played Ninja Blade at a friend's briefly, but I think we thought at the time that it was just a "lesser" Ninja Gaiden 2 so we never played it again (I think he rented it). I've been curious the last couple years about giving it a fair chance, but just have never picked it up.

mindatlarge

If you played the 80s version you're probably a little older than me (I turn 30 soon for reference) but did you ever play Treasure Mountain, same company?

super-solvers-treasure-mountain_16.png

img-15.gif

img-23.png
I'm a tad older than you, 35...and I'll be 36 in August. Hmm, can't say I've played that Super Solvers game, just Midnight Rescue from what I can remember. We had two computers growing up, an IBM PS/2 with color and another that was black and white, running at a blazing 8MHz. No front end operating system either, so everything was done through text based DOS prompts. Thankfully, the times have changed!

Personal_System_2_Model_25.png

MetricChip

Neo Member
Shadowflare

Shadowflare_gameplay.jpg

It was a Diablo-ish indie game from the early oughts where you have a wolf/dog friend. I remember it being episodic and the first episode was free and that's about all I remember. Was a pretty mediocre game but I was into it because nobody else knew it existed.

mindatlarge

You beautiful bastard, I've been trying to find this game for ages! I have early school memories of playing this in a computer lab filled with IBM PCs, but I thought it was called Charlie and the Chickens for some reason. So thanks for that! Game actually looks decent too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clUz1Z_-MAA

There was one other game I've never found footage or screens of that I played later at school on Apple IIs (pretty sure they were IIs...). It was on a 5.25 floppy that may have had a few other games on it. The disk just had Driver written on it. It was a very simple driving game where you were a segmented line going vertically up the screen, with two lines representing the edges of the road. Hit the edges and you lose. There was no throttle control I believe; just left and right arrows to move. It had a couple difficulty modes; each mode up had the edges closer to your "vehicle" so you had less margin of error. The hardest had them right up against it so you had to hit the arrows as soon as the road curved. In my memory it looked something like this:

N621cxH.png
That's awesome! It's quite the feeling when after many years you finally have confirmation of something that has been racking your brain for so long. Glad I could help!

Hmm, I don't have any memories of that game you described. I actually have very limited experience with anything Apple computer based. We were homeschooled for some time, so my early computer experience was with the computers we owned. Growing up in the 80's and 90's for me, it was IBM PS/2...then a big gap in terms of personal computers but was filled with a NES and then SNES. Finally I was reintroduced to PC gaming when my parents bought a Windows 95 based computer.

KDR_11k

images

It had the bad luck of coming out at the nadir of QTE popularity and nowadays it gets overshadowed by Asura's Wrath because that's even more ludicrous (catching a motorcycle and riding it across flying debries into a monster's face doesn't compare to punching a planet-sized buddha to death by hitting his finger tip rapidly enough).

And Dinosaurs for Hire. It's Contra with dinosaurs.

dinosaurs-for-hire-cover.jpg

Dinosaurs for Hire was amazing. I played that with my cousins all the time. Lemme see my list of weird...

Jurassic_The_Hunted_Box_Art.jpg

This was hilariously bad. But it was in the bargain bin and I was bored, actually beat the whole thing. It was surprisingly competent.

150447-Dai_Senryaku_VII_-_Modern_Military_Tactics_Exceed_(USA)-1.jpg

We picked this up randomly at a Gamestop because we were on a turn based strategy kick. Ugly game but pretty deep.

Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

Speaking of turn based strategy... I couldn't resist dieselpunk mecha fights. This was a weird game, and we never got too far into it, but I really should go back and give it a try just to see where the story goes.

venomenon

lSx1n0I.jpg

Loved this game as a kid
I know the SNES version and played its predecessor Hebereke's Popoon. Seems to be one of the few (I guess?) series from that era that were released in PAL regions but not in NA. Popoon is one of my most hated games to this day, I was so bad at it.

Obviously everyone has played these games, but the most obscure I've got is Dofus, the French cartoony tactical turn based mmo.
en_top5_anime_dofus.jpg

kwogfaf

Crazy Drake, a pretty blatant ms-dos clone of Earthworm Jim
cdrake_1.png

never seen anyone else talk about it. found it like ten years ago by just looking a list of pc games (maybe on gamefaqs?) and just picking titles at random. its pretty bad so im not surprised its obscure lmao

I played this! it came with an 'egames' compilation disc that also has Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Safari Kongo, and Speedy Eggbert, which was my favorite. it was a platforming game with a level editor that gave you all the same tools as the developer.

PedanticJase

Neo Member
I'll add a couple PC games to the pile.

First: Gazillionaire.

I picked this up at a Walmart on a whim. It ended up being my first trading simulation. Loved it at the time, and I still adore its quirkiness.

I also love that the most exotic things they could think of to put on the cover guy's space trading desk are cantaloupe, jelly beans and a lava lamp, hahaha!

Gazillionare is great I Emailed the makers a few years ago to ask them if they were planning on re releasing it. Not sure I ever got a reply. I can still hear the classical midi's they used for the soundtrack and that one guy saying "Money money money"

My entry is WarGasm, Pretty sure I found it on some Warez CD in my teens. Sidebar it was a excellent way to get games before the internet was a thing. It might have also been a demo CD (I was a poor kid).

wargasm.jpg

It was a RTS were you could assume control of the individual units, for me that meant taking one tank and trying to win the entire scenario with this one unit.

I had fun but pretty sure it was a fairly awful game.

KDR_11k

unRevolutionary for XBLIG:

unrevolutionary.jpg

No, Google, I do mean unRevolutionary.

Looks like a bog standard twin stick shooter, the high price (5$) and name sure don't endear it to people on a marketplace full of twin stick shooters but the active abilities of your class make it play very, very different from other games like it and the levels are well varied.

One of my favorite XBLIG games (I beat it several times with different classes) but extremely hard to sell anyone on.

I know the SNES version and played its predecessor Hebereke's Popoon. Seems to be one of the few (I guess?) series from that era that were released in PAL regions but not in NA. Popoon is one of my most hated games to this day, I was so bad at it.

Was Popoon not just Puyo Puyo?

Algebrah

Transformers_-_Beast_Wars_Coverart.jpg

I loved Beastwars and must have gone to like 20 toy stores looking for this game. I finally found it at a KB Toys out in a rural area. Turns out this game was a complete piece of shit and I don't think many people played it.

Menome

PM95235fYBCR-f4Scf8BxADx7JCZ2_YXzlxD4hFWs1bbkLDFlQ2CyM4zXS5Ni3vdD9ga2e4H77gENhnsEsknolA3W6gJO2fLUbB3GFXIi_CXkZuzZWTr3Ov7d7vxycbto1XeZO1G3lf7QBbpunFEIpQeAv9kF6b6AeCvYA=w250-h351-nc

Not a great game but not horrible. It was a cool concept and had some neat environments but pretty shallow gameplay.

Whilst I didn't play it myself, I can assure you many people did. At the Gamestation store I used to work in, we had more pre-owned copies than we knew what to do with. At its worst, we had over 50 copies that no-one was buying and had to ship some back to HQ.

I may not have played the game, but I still have the book!

I played this as a kid, anyone else remember this way back when?

94563-the-transformers-battle-to-save-the-earth-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Absolutely impossible game and broke canon by allowing Autobots to fly.

Renmyra

Rainbow Six for the PSP. I bought it on a vacation, and boy was it shit. I traded it in at a Gamestop when I got back home and they told me it wasn't in their database.

Top Bottom