• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2013 Info & Summary Thread

Woah what a desaster, drove 300 kilometers, and its sold out, waiting in the line like thousands others.... Its so crowded

People are complaining like shit already

Kinan

OK, implemented news I could find in OP. As before - if you notice something is missing - pm or write here. Hit the char limit on the first post, so Sony and Nintendo part now in the second post.

LiK

Shuhei acknowledged the shitty camerawork. Yay

bJH6PY3.jpg

Kinan

thanks for the appreciation guys, its indeed some work. My productivity at work dropped to like 30% this week. :)

TimmiT

Went to Gamescom today. Should have expected it´d be far more busy that two years ago (when I last went) with the PS4 and Xbox One. Last time it was pretty easy for me to just play less popular games, now I even had trouble getting to where the booths are because of the crazy amount of people walking around.

oti

Banned
Just came back from Köln, what a ride. So many people there. SO MANY PEOPLE.
I played some stuff here and there, but spent most of my time in the business area. Great stuff, Watch_Dogs and Dying Light really impressed me. Both NextGen-Controllers are great, though I like the DS4 more.

Something more interesting though, some insider information: PS4 is crushing the Xbox One in regard of pre-orders of some really huge games in Europe. We're talking about more than twice as many pre-orders. Vita is not looking good and Wii U... well, Nintendo sure needs to sell some consoles this year.

If you have any question about a game, just ask away if you want to. :)

Staal

I went yesterday with a friend. The most remarkable observation we had, was that CoD: Ghost on the XboxOne did not look that different from the current-gen platforms.

Overall a great day, we'll probably go next year as well.

Just came back from Köln, what a ride. So many people there. SO MANY PEOPLE.
I played some stuff here and there, but spent most of my time in the business area. Great stuff, Watch_Dogs and Dying Light really impressed me. Both NextGen-Controllers are great, though I like the DS4 more.

Something more interesting though, some insider information: PS4 is crushing the Xbox One in regard of pre-orders of some really huge games in Europe. We're talking about more than twice as many pre-orders. Vita is not looking good and Wii U... well, Nintendo sure needs to sell some consoles this year.

If you have any question about a game, just ask away if you want to. :)

A 2:1 balance in favor of Sony has been common for Europe, just like a 2:1 balance has been common in the US in favor of MS.

funo

I was lucky enough to be an exhibitor at gamescom which made me able to try out all the games behind the scenes without having to queue up or anything.
I've only spend a couple of hours at the regular consumer areas and I would never want to go there or even pay for it - super loud, overcrowded, super annoying, minimum queue of 1 hour for every game :(

here's some of my impressions
(sorry for the shitty image quality, I only had my phone with me)

- Mad Max
- looks absolutely stunning!
- they showed a ~30ish minute gameplay demo (played on ps4) and it sure looks fun
- vehicle combat plays a huge role in this game, you need to find parts, tune your "Magnum Opus" and fight off guys in vehicle battles etc
- grappling hook also plays a major role, gunplay limited because of scarse ammunition

- Batman: Arkham Origins
- was shown running on a PS3 and looked good
- gameplay demo of a level where you had to save the Pioneer's Bridge from destruction by Firefly
- fights still look super smooth, more maneuvers and a ton of new gadgets (like a remote grappling hook and shock gloves)

- Titanfall
- looks and feels amazing!
- only had a very short hands-on with it but everyone I met had the same impression: the trailers don't to this game any justice
- the balance felt great - you feel strong in those titans but they are certainly not overpowered because they can be taken out rather quick
- this means that you don't necessarily have to use them everyt time you see one standing around
- movement felt great and super smooth - those jetpacks work well with the walljumping etc.
- might have to change my attitude towards this title from "meh, not hyped" to "wow, can't wait!"

- Dead Island: Pandemic
- was surprisingly nice, too
- was expecting something different, it's played with WASD keys and mouse for aiming and spells
- very team-based, 4 factions (they called it PvPvPvE) 3 teams with 4 players each go against each other and respawning zombies
- however, teams have to work together to fight huge zombie bosses
- many characters and maps planned, looks promising
- the developers played with us and led us through at ~15min fight and it felt fresh and new - it'snot dota, not lol, not smite and the devs really love hearing that :)

- The Crew
- also looks promising even though I'm not much of a car buff
- driving through the "whole USA" coast to coast will take you about 6 hours
- they showed of 4 guys joining each other for some races and challenges
- most interesting for me: you can actually work together as a team (hence the name, haha) to finish races faster -- one guy goes for checkpoint 1 while the others can already ehad towards the second, third and fourth checkpoints to race through them in quick succession

- The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt
- those guys from CD Projekt Red definately had the best freaking press demonstration
- 45 minutes of (live) gameplay in a cinema, they offered LOAD of beers for everyone and wouldn't stop before everyone had one :)
- they even tried to make sure that you don't grab one of the warm beers!
- game looks nice, and is about 24 times the size of witcher 2 (even though I always tend to think that bigger might not always mean better)
- showed a nice boss fight and some intereesting choices you have to make
- however, the fantasy setting seems a tad overused at the moment and it did look quite generic at times

- Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
- clicked through it (~15mins gameplay wit a paladin), same old, same old, not wowed, meh ;/

- Battlefield 4
- 2 different huge cinemas in the consumer area
- each with a different mode (one was 32vs32 capture the flag, the other one 16vs16 obliteration)
- showed some nice fresh trailers before the hands-on
- game looks super nice even though it looks (of course) surprisingly similar to BF3
- still needs some balance tweaks, weapons were too strong
- and yes, they really had to use this sign at some point (which reads something like "you have to wait 8 more hours from here on"

- Calladuty: Ghosts
- very dog focused
- during the press Q&A I asked what they are trying to do to win me over as a huge fan ot the Battlefield franchise because I always felt "alone" while playing CoD multiplayed and I love the squad-based feel of Battlefield3
- their answer: "we now have squads"
- CoD;G's engine looks amazingly dated, can't even compare to BF3 (honest opinion even by the CoD fans in the press preview)

as a side note - those guys at Activision really know how to advertise for their target audience - they had built a huge room in their press area that resembled a typical multimedia store (e.g. Gamestop, German Mediamarkt etc.) and they showed the press how to perfectly advertise the games together with freaking Monster Energy drinks (they must have a partnership with them, those were everywhere) and chips etc.

- Destiny
- WHAT A HUGE LETDOWN
- if I had to actually queue for this, I would have felt so cheated
- first they forced you into a tiny room with ~120 other people to watch some boring trailers and interviews
- afterwards, they shoved everyone into a (admittedly nice looking and huge) cinema and showed THE EXACT SAME GAME SEGMENT we already know from the E3
- they even flew in those same 2 amazingly boring people that made the exact same lousy jokes while pretending to play
- even though they took a slightly different rout than at E3, everything felt super scripted and they made those bored "awesome" and "I got this" expressions
- in a private interview I was told that the game is still in an extremely early stage of development and it's pretty obvious that they don't have much else to show off :)

- EVE: Valkyrie
- this was one of my highlights
- CCP managed to get their hands on 12 of the first ever full HD Oculus Rifts
- the game itself looks ass (it's a tech demo) but the Oculus integration was faboosh
- short 3 minute 3vs3 space fight which felt like nothing I've ever experienced before
- you really had to look down on your radar to see where the missiles were coming from and to be able to evade them
- my predictions (and my secret hope): Oculus Rift HD will go very far if integrated well - I could see myself buying one right away!

- Contrast
- this puzzler somehow managed to stay under the radar of many sites and members of the press because Focus only showed it on one console in their business area
- sony showed this at their press conference before they started the actual stream and never mentionet it again
- it's a puzzler where you can basically switch between roaming through the real world and the shadow plane
- you can walk on walls and objects (similar to link in the new zelda) and use the shadows as plattforms
- looked fun but I guess it will be highly dependant on the level design
- will be out for PC, PSN, and XBLA

personal highlight #1: meeting Charles Martinet (Mario's voice)
I was like "I can't believe I actually met you" and he used his signature move "Yes, it's a really me, Mario" - it was super effective! :)

personal highlight #2: Jessica Nigri said "I love you hair"

I've seen plenty of other games and people, if you have any further questions just shoot

funo

You happen to see/play anything from Sony (Infamous: Second Son in particular)?

unfortunately not
for some reason unknown to me plenty of the private sony press showings were cancelled (or moved somewhere else) and I am not sure if Infamous was playable on the consumer floor, sorry ;/

I think they showed some of the indie titles from their press conference but I didn't try them ;/

I managed to play Rain for a couple of minutes and really liked the atmosphere and overall style of the game (but then the masses came rushing into the halls and I had to flee)

funo

What are your thoughts on the PS4 and Xbox One controllers?

I am a huge fan of the Xbox 360 controller and I currently don't like the Dualshock 3 because of the switched analog and digital (I have huge hands and get tired faster when using the DS3)

that being said, the Dualshock 4 sure felt like a major improvement to me. it slightly bigger but it's super (!!) lightweight and feels good in your hands. it's true what they said about those missing gaps between the two halves of the controller - that makes a difference and improves the overall quality and feel!
L2 and R2 and especially the analog sticks are way less 'slippery' now and they won't slip away that often anymore. what I didn't know before was that the touch area actually has a 'click' when you press it a bit harder (like a touchpad on a laptop)
during the press showings I've seen more PS4 controllers than Xbone controllers (might be mistaken there because there were also a couple of ps3s)

as for the Xbone controller - it's also really improved. Same thing as for the dualshock 4 - it's slightly bigger and also super lightweight. I was unable to actually feel the new 'impulse triggers' in action but the overall haptic impression was solid.
my impression was that the changes to the xbone controller are more subtle than the ones made to the dualshock.

I have no idea how both teams managed to make them that light :)
I really couldn't pick a winner right now - they both left a good impression and I guess both will make the players happy!

Kinan

Great impressions, funo, thanks for that. Maybe impressions thread would be more fitting, but ti does not matter, really.

After a show I feel bad about my Sony banner in OP. Maybe I should turn Vita around with its face to a consumer now. MS banner is still fitting though. :p

no one noticed these subtle things. Gaf, i'm disappointed. :)

micster

- EVE: Valkyrie
- the game itself looks ass (it's a tech demo) but the Oculus integration was faboosh

Whaaaat?! It was absolutely amazing. Would be my game of show, but I think something I was shown that is embargoed might be better.

Kinan

Full list of winners:

Best Console Game Sony Playstation:
Destiny (Activision Blizzard Deutschland GmbH)

Best Console Game Nintendo WII:
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Europe GmbH)

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox:
Titanfall (Electronic Arts)

Best Next Generation Console Game:
Titanfall (Electronic Arts)

Best Action Game:

Best Role Playing Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online (ZeniMax Germany GmbH)

Best Racing Game:
Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft Ltd)

Best Sports Game:
FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts)

Best Simulation Game:
WarThunder (Gaijin Entertainment)

Best Family Game:
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Europe GmbH)

Best Hardware incl. Peripheral:
PlayStation4 (Sony Computer Entertainment Deutschland GmbH)

Best Mobile Game:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo Europe GmbH)

Best Online Multiplayer Game:

Best PC Game:
Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts)

Best Social/Casual/Online Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online (ZeniMax Germany GmbH)

some info I got from the gamescom

- ps4 will be shipped with a 500 gb hdd
- playroom (the minigames for the eyetoy/ds4 controller) will be preinstalled and for free

- move controller works on ps4 too, ds3 controller will not work

Gamescom was amazing, my first ever.

After lots of backdoor appointments I've done a complete 180 on the Xbox One, it really is a great console, I think a lot of naysayers will change their mind - and battlefield 4 looking awful on ps4 did help sway me. I will put up more info soon, just got back in London so its definitely shower time

DieH@rd

Banned
Gamescom was amazing, my first ever.

After lots of backdoor appointments I've done a complete 180 on the Xbox One, it really is a great console, I think a lot of naysayers will change their mind - and battlefield 4 looking awful on ps4 did help sway me. I will put up more info soon, just got back in London so its definitely shower time

LOL

Nakayumi

Woah what a desaster, drove 300 kilometers, and its sold out, waiting in the line like thousands others.... Its so crowded

People are complaining like shit already

Had a similar experience, so you're definitely not the only one out there. ;)

Simply forgot the buy tickets in advance as it wasn't necessary when I went 4 year ago. Which is absolutely stupid of course, considering the amounts of hype of the next-gen consoles. When me and my buds found out on Friday, our hotel in Dusseldorf was already booked for the weekend. Still had a great time walking around in both cities from bar to bar, but missing out on the Gamescom was bit of a bummer. It's nice to read some of the impressions here. Hopefully I can join the goodness again next year.

Kinan

Ok, made few last updates and have added this summary:

SUMMARY

So this crazy Gamescom week is over and we sure got a fair share of gaming news out of it. There were a lot of expected and unexpected reveals and announcements, normal gamers got to try the next-gen and soon-to-be-old-gen hardware and software first hand, awards were given, MS and Sony launch strategies detailed. Only Nintendo kept thing relatively low-profile and just left the quality of games on the show floor to speak for itself.

Gamescom was fully sold-out this year and attracted 340 000 visitors, which solidifies its position as a biggest consumer oriented show in the world. With 635 exhibitors (for comparison, E3 had 230 this year) there were all major developers represented and a lot of smaller teams took part too.

All in all, good times and I hope you have enjoyed this thread and found it useful. If the interest is there, I may consider doing one next year as well.

Top Bottom