• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot awards Persona 5 Royal its tenth 10/10 score of the generation

Raziel

As P5R comes to a close, it tries to ease you into its end with heartfelt scenes, some new and some familiar. But in doing so, it only makes it harder to say goodbye again. Persona 5 Royal is many things: a collection of small inspiring stories, an ambitious harrowing journey with some good friends, a stunning visual and auditory experience, a resounding call to action. By refining what was already great and building on its best qualities with a brilliant new story arc, Persona 5 Royal asserts itself as an unforgettable and empowering RPG that should be recognized as one of the best games of our time.

Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Super Mario Odyssey
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Uncharted 4
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Journey (PS4)
The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
Bayonetta 2

Shoutout to Sony for publishing this gem.
Fxh6YCL.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me well deserved, my favourite Persona game and I LOVED changes Royal made to core gameplay.

ManaByte

Wasn't there some kind of "problematic" localization in this that are going to cause those who no one really listens to to boycott it?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Danjin44 Danjin44 You sold me, but insofar as I will definitely buy it when/if there's a sale :)

The third semester sounds unbelievably enticing though. But it's more of a, "I consider this an expansion pack" price point. Not buying the game again type thing.

Makoto is still the best... Maybe.

Danjin44

Nah, UC2 is significantly better.
This type of arguments is pointless, when a game gets 10/10 it doesn't mean its "flawless" it just mean that person enjoyed the game enough to give that score and even a game gets that score, it doesn't guarantee you personally gonna like it. games like RDR2 got bunch of 10/10 score as well but that game is not my cup of tea but also there are people who adored that game. Basically it all comes down each individual taste regardless of the score a game gets.

JLMC469

Banned
This type of arguments is pointless, when a game gets 10/10 it doesn't mean its "flawless" it just mean that person enjoyed the game enough to give that score and even a game gets that score, it doesn't guarantee you personally gonna like it. games like RDR2 got bunch of 10/10 score as well but that game is not my cup of tea but also there are people who adored that game. Basically it all comes down each individual taste regardless of the score a game gets.

:messenger_sleeping:

VertigoOA

Banned
As much as I liked Persona 5... completely undeserving.

(Looks at the other games listed)

... Journey!? Lmfao ....

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Persona hits that weird spot where both normies and niches hype the hell out of it.

I'm comfy here waiting on my SMT V island :/

Edit: Sonic Mania getting 10s made me take the gaming review media less seriously.

Last edited:
Gamespot... They were my go-to site when Kasavin was with them but i prefer IGN now. Gamespot clearly started selling ratings to a certain extent towards the end of the 6th generation

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
giphy.gif

One of my top 5 games of this gen gets even better. Awesome

Gonna play it through as I wait for FF7R
As someone who just sort of... got bored with the game about 10 hours in, so you think the changes (I’m not aware of what they are) would be enough to change my mind? Or are they more like small tweaks? I thought the battle system was great FYI.

Vawn

Banned
Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Super Mario Odyssey
Uncharted 4
Journey (PS4)
Bayonetta 2

To break it down by console:

PS4 - 3 10/10 exclusive, 6 playable
Switch - 3 10/10 exclusive, 5 playable
PC - 1 exclusive, 4 playable
Xbox - 3 playable

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that was a great summary. If someone hasn’t played the original would you recommend starting there or playing this?

Absolutely play this. We're talking about 130 hours vs about 100, and a ton of quality of life features. The original is one of my favorite games ever, and the huge length makes it the perfect game for staying inside right now. Just about the only reason to play the original at this point would be price, but the game already has so much value that I'd just go for the best version right now. The only other question is if you'll appreciate the gameplay and story. If you don't mind turn-based JRPGs and you generally like JRPG stories or Anime, I'd say go for it.

As someone who just sort of... got bored with the game about 10 hours in, so you think the changes (I’m not aware of what they are) would be enough to change my mind? Or are they more like small tweaks? I thought the battle system was great FYI.

As much as I adore this game, if the original bored you I’m not sure Royal will do enough differently to hook you.

Im really biased. P5 was my first Persona and just blew me away. I fell in love with it like I haven’t felt about a game in years. Opened my eyes to all sorts of JRPGs ive been playing fhe last year.

But I can definitely see how it’s not for everyone. I guess it could be considered an “acquired taste?”

martino

Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Super Mario Odyssey
Uncharted 4
Journey (PS4)
Bayonetta 2

To break it down by console:

PS4 - 3 10/10 exclusive, 6 playable
Switch - 3 10/10 exclusive, 5 playable
PC - 1 exclusive, 4 playable
Xbox - 3 playable

and depending on how you use your pc it can go up to 9 playable there
also ps4 is 2 exclusive (journey is on pc)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
and depending on how you use your pc it can go up to 9 playable there
also ps4 is 2 exclusive (journey is on pc)

I kind of thought we didn't count PC against exclusives since Xbox moved 100% of their games there, but ok. I actually didn't know Journey was on PC. Journey shouldn't be a 10 anyway. I never understood the appeal of that game.

Strange that God of War didn't make the list. Felt like everyone gave that a 10. Bloodborne deserves a 10 too.

martino

I kind of thought we didn't count PC against exclusives since Xbox moved 100% of their games there, but ok. I actually didn't know Journey was on PC. Journey shouldn't be a 10 anyway. I never understood the appeal of that game.

Strange that God of War didn't make the list. Felt like everyone gave that a 10. Bloodborne deserves a 10 too.
it's not how i work. it's why i don't buy xbox consoles and they are games i play there.
for me it's botw that is lacking...
Also i agree journey is not that special to be on a such a selective list imo.

Last edited:

Aidah

I enjoyed Person 5 overall, but you'd have to put a gun to my head for me to give it a 10/10. It's not even the best Persona game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I enjoyed Person 5 overall, but you'd have to put a gun to my head for me to give it a 10/10. It's not even the best Persona game.
For me it is, I liked both Persona 3 &4 but I'm not much fan of its dungeons and hated the fact that you fight against boring "shadows" instead of demons. P5 brought back proper dungeon and demons negotiation and you fight actual demons. Everyone has their own favourite casts each game but as far as the gameplay goes, Persona 5 is much better experience in my opinion.

Klayzer

For me it is, I liked both Persona 3 &4 but I'm not much fan of its dungeons and hated the fact that you fight against boring "shadows" instead of demons. P5 brought back proper dungeon and demons negotiation and you fight actual demons. Everyone has their own favourite casts each game but as far as the gameplay goes, Persona 5 is much better experience in my opinion.
I've played all the Persona games, and 5 has the best mix of story,gameplay,soundtrack,likeable characters and graphic style than any other SMT game, in my opinion.

JayK47

It could be a 12/10 and I do not feel like playing a 100+ hour game again. I really hated the ending of the original. The plot just got so crazy and really did not make any sense. It sounds like they tweaked it so much I would not recognize it, but also a lot of those changes do not sound that great. Typical jRPG adding way too many complicated underused mechanics. And more collectibles? Does anybody really want more collectibles in a game?

I purchased the super edition of Persona 3 after I went through a fair amount of trouble tracking down a used copy of the original and never even played it. Just never had the time and by then I think Persona 4 was around the corner and after playing Persona 4 I could not go back to Persona 3.

Top Bottom