• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fate of Metal Gear is one thing...the thought of not having a proper Metal Gear Rising sequel or Silent Hills is by far the most depressing thing out of this news.

Silent Hills most likely dead if its true.

I am actually worried about MGSV itself now.There is a large chunk of development left and you can't expect them to finish up the game well when the team will likely be in bad spirits.

Holy shit this is terrible news on so many fronts.

Fair to be afraid, but it's not as though their contract runs before the game's out. I would imagine they'll be professional.

Damerman

Metal Gear can still be good everyone, the storyline is already written, they can hire great japanese developers at Konami to make new epic Metal Gear games.
Bwahahahaha!

Kojima and metal gear are synonymous in my eyes. No kojima, no money for metal gear.

entremet

the thing is kojima is such a troll so this could go either way

he wouldn't get this elaborate.......would he
2an4d.png

Not this big. Konami would't cosign that. They're an old, super conservative Japanese company.

It just seems a lot of Japanese companies are just having a hard time with the new gaming landscape.

This why I never understand the reasoning when posters argue that the PS4 will revitalize console development in Japan. That market has shifted drastically and with the aging population and low birth rates, Japanese gaming is in big trouble in the coming decades.

It's sad to me since Japanese companies--Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Namco, were so formative to my early gaming years.

I still enjoy gaming, but it's just been sad to see the decline in output with the majority of these companies. SNES to PS2 was just an amazing era of output and creativity from Japan.

AAA needs a serious check in budget realty in order for it to survive, or game prices have to rise.

Which one do you think will happen first?

sjack

Banned
Well done Konami! You just got rid of the last person that made your shitty and morally bankrupt company remotely relevant.

I didn't really want him to make more MGS after this anyways but he should be at Konami and I'm amazing at this news.

I'm way more excited to see what he will do next.

This is fucking insane.

I really can't believe this is happening. I sincerely hope that the team morale and Kojima's as well doesn't affect the quality of the game this ridiculously close to it being completed.

I really don't want that to sound selfish, being that Kojima and his team are more important; by my excitement for MGSV:TPP is so profoundly massive that I can only imagine playing it and it be amazing - the opposite of that would be too horrible to imagine.

Don't know what to think. MGSV and Silent Hill were two of my most anticipated projects. Hm. Maybe they should sell their IP's and fuck off already.

Silent Hills most likely dead if its true.

I am actually worried about MGSV itself now.There is a large chunk of development left and you can't expect them to finish up the game well when the team will likely be in bad spirits.

Holy shit this is terrible news on so many fronts.

There isn't a large chunk of development left. The game was content complete months ago. They could have set a June release but that wasn't enough time for marketing such a big title, so September it is.

Darkangel

eNm1JiS.jpg

What does this mean for Silent Hills? I hope the franchise isn't canned, I was really looking forward to a new Japanese entry.

daveo42

Banned
With this news we are also losing out any chance of probably getting ZoE3 ever. I mean, I know it was announced and cancelled, but still...

I wonder if Konami is going to fold or get bought out by another company at this point. MGS is one of the only active IPs they have left and with Kojima leaving, they are losing that franchise and Silent Hills. They might very well be screwed.

gioGAF

Total speculation, but I bet Konami wants to do something shitty to fans with MGS5 (microtransaction shenanigans or cutting content to sell as DLC) and Kojima was not happy about it so they removed him and company.

Honestly, Konami is a joke and Kojima is the only real ace they have and since this is potentially the last Metal Gear game from him, they want to fleece the consumers as much as possible.

Akiller

Looking forward for Place Of the Finishers.

I'm starting to think that the whole Phantom Pain revenge plot is a metaphor to the Konami struggle.

Cipher destroying MSF Mother Base=Konami cancelling Kojima Productions
Big Boss founding Diamond Dogs with Kaz=Kojima founding a new game studio with
Imaizumi=Kaz
Shinkawa=Ocelot
Murata=Gray Fox

It just seems a lot of Japanese companies are just having a hard time with the new gaming landscape.

This why I never understand the reasoning when posters argue that the PS4 will revitalize console development in Japan. That market has shifted drastically and with the aging population and low birth rates, Japanese gaming is in big trouble in the coming decades.

It's sad to me since Japanese companies--Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Namco, were so formative to my early gaming years.

I still enjoy gaming, but it's just been sad to see the decline in output with the majority of these companies. SNES to PS2 was just an amazing era of output and creativity from Japan.

This. Gaming to me is Japanese gaming creativity. From Software is the last bastion of hope at this point.

In Bloodborne and Souls we trust. Please herald in a new era of Japanese gaming goodness.

ezekial45

Banned
eNm1JiS.jpg

What does this mean for Silent Hills? I really hope the franchise isn't canned, I was really looking forward to a new Japanese entry.

It's still happening. The deal was with Del Toro and Konami. Kojima wasn't the requirement for the game, though he was certainly one of the key figures for P.T. being so great.

So yeah, it'll still happen, but without Kojima.

Blader

Whoa. An end of an era. I wanted Kojima to move on from Metal Gear, but this is absolutely ridiculous. How the fuck do you tell the core of your company to piss off like that?

Can't wait to see what Kojima and his team end up doing after they land at a new place (or better yet, form their own studio). Konami can finally rot.

Ganondorfo

it won't be a hideo kojima game anymore
it's like the last guardian without ueda, kojima is a true auteur and metal gear games are completely drived by his ambition, attention to detail and personal struggles and themes.

I understand you, but I see it as the Neil Blomkamp Alien movie, he is going to make a new movie in the franchise that started from the original amazing Ridley Scott 1979 movie.

The same can be done with the Metal Gear franchise, a young japanese developer who just started working at Konami could take over and go fresh further with his young vision and create more Metal Gear lore that was created by the legendary Hideo Kojima.

gafneo

Banned
I can see Kojima leaving and making a new game series copying MGS, It will have Mechs, Ninjas, Armies, bad dudes, strippers, and Shakespearean dialogue with strong philosophical life changing meanings,

It's still happening. The deal was with Del Toro and Konami. Kojima wasn't the requirement for the game, though he was certainly one of the key figures for P.T. being so great.

So yeah, it'll still happen, but without Kojima.

Which doesn't bode well for the quality of the title at all. Not like Konami have many talented people left.

CTLance

All they got left is PES?
...and the maggot-infested corpse of Hudson Soft.

And Silent Hill.

And Castlevania.

And Zone of Enders.

And Snatchers.

And Policenauts.

And Contra.

And Twinbee.

And Gradius.

And Parodius.

And Beatmania/DDR.

And...

Seriously, just let them die a quick and painless death. For the greater good of all of us gamers.

jblank83

Japanese companies need to better embrace the global market. The Japanese market is significantly different from the American market. It seems "core" gaming is having a difficult time holding on there, while it's thriving here. Which is why companies like Sega are beefing up their Steam catalogs, and why both Nintendo and Sony are pushing different products in different markets.

Smaller companies, like Konami, seem to struggle with this. Maybe it's management, maybe it's money.

I could be wrong. It's just what I think I see, in my limited perspective.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I understand you, but I see it as the Neil Blomkamp Alien movie, he is going to make a new movie in the franchise that started from the original amazing Ridley Scott 1979 movie.

The same can be done with the Metal Gear franchise, a young japanese developer who just started working at Konami could take over and go fresh further with his young vision and create more Metal Gear lore that was created by the legendary Hideo Kojima.

But the thing is that I don't really see Konami allowing anyone to actually put as much care into the new MGS, it'll be a quick annual series from here out about Solid Snake blowing up Metal Gears ad nauseum.

ChaosXVI

Man, what an insane week this has been...I can't believe this is really happening, this is like Nintendo suddenly shitting all over Miyamoto and booting him out or something...

Seriously though, Kojima will land just fine, undoubtedly his phone is going to be ringing off the hook with offers from all of the big players. It's just a matter now of seeing where he and whoever he takes with him ends up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom