• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot puts up Wii component vs composite comparisons

Methodis

Banned
Oh....I can't say I've noticed but I dunno. When I lower detail on my TV, text is easier to read to a point but if I put it all the way up, Text is blurry.

Jade Knight 08 said:
I noticed the gamespot comparsions screens and i think these are taken from Wii games i assumed. And i'm not sure if it's taken on SD TV or HDTV set. But i can see the differences in these screen captures.

My tv is 27 in. flat screen. Here's my spec for my television.

Yellow/White/Red are my components cables along with S-VIDEO.

Front TV:

VIDEO IN # 2 Y/W/R

Back TV:

VIDEO OUT Y/W/R
VIDEO IN # 1 Y/W/R
S-VIDEO socket

Two questions:

1.) Since i can't get Wii due to being sold out and i was wondering will the GC Zelda TP get the blurriness or will that be fixed automactically?

2.) If i get the S-VIDEO component cable (W/R/Black S-VIDEO socket plug) will i see the huge difference than i'm using the regular composite cable on my GC and possibly killed the blurriness too?

3.) Will any of you buy me the Wii system and i'll happily paid the shipping? Wink wink :D

Thanks!

Oh my...for the love of god YES.

Listen, goddamit, it's not that hard. Read this and tell 3 other people in the world and tell them to tell 3 other people each.

COMPOSITE CABLES ARE BEYOND SHIT. THEY ARE THE SHITTIEST SHIT IN THE WORLD AND I DOUBT KNOW WHY THEY CONTINUE TO MAKE FLAMING PIECES OF SHIT BETTER TAHN COMPOSITE.

Nothing in this world is WORST than compsite (cept for RF but...) NOTHING. Thereby, if you have composite, anything would be an upgrade...ANYTHING.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
heres pics for the person who has problems with gamespot

wiihandson008.jpg

wiihandson007.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmmm well... While I see the difference, the difference doesn't stir any kind of emotions, and I doubt I'd pay any extra money for cables or anything to get that difference. Does that make me a bad person?

Stealth

Damn... systems should never be sold with component cables, especially when it makes such a big of a difference on non-HD titles. Shame on you, PS3, Xbox 360 Core, and Nintendo Wii!

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Hmmm well... While I see the difference, the difference doesn't stir any kind of emotions, and I doubt I'd pay any extra money for cables or anything to get that difference. Does that make me a bad person?
The difference is way more apparent on a large television, especially if you have an HD set. Composite will usually look worse on an HDTV than a standard tv. I'm suprised the difference is even noticable in those tiny Gamespot pics.

Component cables have enough of an improvement that many people are willing to pay $100 and in some cases over $200 on ebay, as shown in the auction links i posted... that should tell you something.

Xdrive05

You can't see it as much in these small picks, but the jaggies definitely DO come out to play in 480p. A small price to pay for way more clarity.

I played TP on my fiance's sdtv composite, and my first reaction was "wow, no jaggies!" Then I realized that everything is blurred over and a lot of the detail is missing. A lot.

Yup it's been quite awhile since I used anything less than component video on my SD 27" TV and upon starting up my Wii the difference is immediately noticable just in the menu. If your television supports component cables, SD or not, GET THEM. You do not need a side by side picture to see the difference for yourself, it will be obvious.

S-video isn't too bad though, plain old compisite RCA.. nah.

I don't see why people are flooding their panties over this. Yeah there's a difference but it's nothing dramatic. I wouldn't be scrambling for component cables because of these screens.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I don't see why people are flooding their panties over this. Yeah there's a difference but it's nothing dramatic. I wouldn't be scrambling for component cables because of these screens.
I guess you don't own an HDTV. If you have an decent sized HDTV, composite often looks worse than it would on a standard tv... and I can't imagine why anyone would spend the money for an HDTV if they don't care to spend $20 on cables that would give them the HD picture. (or in Wii's case, EDTV)

I hope you're not basing your opinion from these small Gamespot pictures... or any other pictures on the internet for that matter. You have to see for yourself, and you need at least component to get 720p, 1080i, etc.

I used to never make a big deal about video quality. I always played my consoles on a TV through a RF modulator. I began using composite about three years ago and component last year. When I first got the $10 component cable for PS2 and Xbox, I didn't think it was a big deal at first... but once I started playing using component, I couldn't believe how bad composite looked when I switched back to compare, even on my SDTV.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Xdrive05 said:
You can't see it as much in these small picks, but the jaggies definitely DO come out to play in 480p. A small price to pay for way more clarity.

I played TP on my fiance's sdtv composite, and my first reaction was "wow, no jaggies!" Then I realized that everything is blurred over and a lot of the detail is missing. A lot.

I have that problem on my TV on 480p as well. Component or VGA cables make a world of difference over composite on my Gamecube, but as soon as I go from 480i to 480p, the jaggies appear. I think it's partially my TV's fault.

DIrtyWeasel said:
I guess you don't own an HDTV. If you have an decent sized HDTV, composite often looks worse than it would on a standard tv... and I can't imagine why anyone would spend the money for an HDTV if they don't care to spend $20 on cables that would give them the HD picture. (or in Wii's case, EDTV)

I own four HDTVs, the first one I bought nearly 5 years ago, and the difference between 480p and 480i isn't that big of a deal. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. I've played enough 480p Xbox games over the past 4 years that really drove that point home. It's nothing like the jump from 480p to 720p. The only real benefit playing the Wii on a HDTV is the 16:9 screen ratio.

unifin said:
Is it just me or does Zelda actually still look good on my HDTV, even with composite?

Depends on the size. Zelda looks like SHIT on my 55" Sony Grand Wega HDTV. However, the menus and Wii Sports look MUCH better. Anyway, if you have a smaller TV (32" or so), the difference won't be as noticeable. It also doesn't help that I'm going straight from Gears and Rainbow 6 on the 360 to Zelda Wii.

Manic D

Composite cables look far worse on my set than in the Gamespot comparison pics. The dot crawl is dizzying. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to send me the component cables; hopefully next week so I can play Zelda without it looking like ass.

Shompola

Banned
Grug said:
What about S-Video over Composite... worth the investment?

Definitely. It makes the picture more clear because of less color bleeding and flickering even on crappy tvs. Difference between s-video and component isnt dramatic on a 480i set.

Seth C

unifin said:
Is it just me or does Zelda actually still look good on my HDTV, even with composite?

It's you. On my 51" HDTV playing Zelda makes me feel like I am going blind and need glasses. It hurts my eyes. I wish I had component cables.

Manic D

Whoops. I just realized I was doing composite to S-Video conversion through my receiver. It looks much better now (no more massive dot crawl) but I still can't wait for the component cables. Also, the composite cable is just too short to reach my TV, so I've got no choice but to go through the receiver first.

trilobyte

I never liked the look of 480p in most games on Gamecube. There were very few games that were able to pull it off nicely, but like as someone else said, in most games the jaggies come out to play and really ruins it for me. I'll get component cables still cause it really does help the picture quality even on an SDTV

Vieo

I'm running Wii on my 2405fpw. I'm surprised Wii fills out the whole screen. The monitor is 16:10, not 16:9. When I had my PS2 running on it, widescreen or not, there were black bars on the sides of the screen.

Now... if I could just get my hands on some component cables... :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can either play Zelda on my 19" monitor with component output (Samsung 940MW), or on my 32" sdtv with rgb or S video. I think I'm gonna go for screen size though. I just hope stores here will have the necessary cables available at launch.

Top Bottom