• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Tim Schafer Q&A on Psychonauts - Sales discussions, etc.

BuddyC

Choice quotes..

TS: [...]I have a dream, GameSpot, I have a dream.
GS: What sales figures, year one, would make you happy?

TS: I want the kind of sales figures in the first year that encourage publishers to be more open to doing unique games with story, personality, and humor. Oh, and I want to sell enough so that I have tons and tons of money so that I can buy a big gold jacket and wear it all the time because gold is waterproof and if anyone spills anything on it I could just sponge it off. And I'd like a little holder for the sponge, so I can have it with me at all times. Same as everybody else.

Check the rest of it out here.

bloke

TS: One of the good things about the state of the games industry right now is that it's incredibly easy to be original. I mean, if you released a game these days that didn't have any army guys in it people would freak out. "Omg. Where did they get the idea to not use army guys? Are they taking drugs?"
lol, respect +1

Coop said:
*nerd alert*

Tim didnt make curse of monkey island, he did the first two!

Wasn't that Ron Gilbert? Or were they co-creators? I know Schaefer did DOTT and Full Throttle and I think he was a co-designer on Sam & Max.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
They showed a new trailer for Psychonauts on G4Techtv's Pulse G-Phoria special. Lots of hilarious dialogue and the gameplay looked crazy. If anyone finds it online, please link immediately.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, I'm not in sales, but I did learn one thing from Full Throttle. PUT A BIG EXPLOSION ON THE BOX. Psychonauts is going to have two explosions on the cover, so it will probably sell twice as much as Throttle. ... We just have to get the word out there. And if that doesn't work, we'll ship out a sticker with an extra explosion on it for retailers to slap on the boxes.

*chuckles* Good Stuff.

BuG

GS: Your team is a pretty qualified team, creatively. Can you tell us what your contribution has been on the product of late?

TS: [...]and then I'll wander over five minutes before the whole thing is due and say, "Man this is awesome. Hey, I just got an idea. What if you had to be on stilts the whole level, and we add a giant termite monster?" And then I'll run.
Stilts + termite monster = excellent.

Top Bottom