• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesTM 92 [Mass Effect 2, Dark Void, Darksiders]

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Subliminal said:
Nope The only 10 last year was Demon's Souls.

And it was that magazine I bought in London to read on the plane on the way home and what did I do when I got home? Bought my first PS3 and borrowed Demon's Souls off my mate (Online stores on backorder so no choice). Didn't regret it one bit.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, I'm getting there too. I just hope the PC version comes with some decent textures this time, and is better optimized. Is that releasing at the same time?
Stop pretending, you were right the first time, it's sterile and made by bioware, no need to know anything else.

Tonza

I don't usually comment on these threads but 6 for Darksiders is... interesting.

I kinda see why someone would give it an average score but usually it's just because it's mimicing other games too much etc. There are shortcomings in the game though. Anyways I really like the game and have spent 15 hours with it.

ME2 should be amazing though.

Durante

I actually agree that ME1 was sterile. It's a science fiction game though (and actually in many ways real science fiction rather than syfy), and as such I consider that rather fitting.

Dennis

Banned
How the fuck was ME sterile?

Not dirty enough?
Not brown enough? Too many bright colors?
Not gritty enough?

Mass Effect was glorious classical hard sci-fi. Finally.

Sterile my fucking ass.

AltogetherAndrews is on quite the troll-roll today. Both Mass Effect 2 and Aliens vs Predator.
Two games he has not played.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dax01 said:
Altogether Andrews trolling a 360 game? What a surprise.

I know right :lol Goddamn he really hates like every game I have a slight interest in :lol Always hatin

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Oh God. A perfect 10. Now I feel like I need to go back and finish ME (I got maybe 15 hours in), but I'm terrified I've forgotten how to play.

Big RPGs need 'previously on' and 'previously how to' for old game saves.

sohois

cjelly said:
CtrlC, CtrlV from the hype thread:

Quote:
+ One of the most memorable opening sequences ever.

+ Improved combat. It not only rivals dedicated 'cover-shooters', it actually betters them (aside from Gears 2 and Uncharted).

+ Brilliant dialogue interrupt system.

+ More refined inventory/equipment management. Improvements to weapons, armour etc (which carry across all party members) are carried out on the Normandy via 'research documents' that you buy or find. Quality of the research is dependant on the 'elements' that you find when scanning planets.

+ Less planets to explore, but much more varied and diverse. Some kick off quests that send you off to other planets/locations.

+ Near 'miraculous' art direction. All the worlds create a cohesive looking universe, but are never derivative or repetitive.

+ Sharper cinematics. Snappier editing, restless camera movement.

+ Memorable, well written and deep characters (a career best for Bioware).

- Repercussions of choices made in the first game aren't as keenly felt as they'd have liked

10/10

Speaking as someone who has played the game (though only the first few hours), i can say that the bolded comment is totally untrue. I know its a subjective opinion, but i simply cannot believe that anyone could come to that conclusion based upon what i played, unless ME2 is one of their first videogame experiences. That shouldn't really invalidate the rest of the review, but i would certainly take it with a pinch of salt after that comment.

Durante

DennisK4 said:
How the fuck was ME sterile?

[...]

Mass Effect was glorious classical hard sci-fi. Finally.
Well, I actually associate hard sci-fi with some sterility.
I just looked up definitions of "sterile" to make sure we mean the same thing:
# free of or using methods to keep free of pathological microorganisms; "a sterile operating area"; "sterile surgical instruments"
# deficient in originality or creativity; lacking powers of invention

When I said I agreed that ME1 was sterile I was exclusively thinking of the first of those definitions (I wasn't even aware that the second usage existed -- now I better understand the outrage).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Durante said:
I actually agree that ME1 was sterile. It's a science fiction game though (and actually in many ways real science fiction rather than syfy), and as such I consider that rather fitting.

The citadel isnt sterile in the way you are talking about, though it has a very clean, Star Trek look to it. Now the game does get very sterile outside the core worlds, which are samey, boring rock masses. No real mountains, no lakes or rivers, no interesting natural formations. The only interesting thing about most of them is the skybox.

Durante

That clean, Star Trek look is actually exactly what I was thinking about when I said sterile.

After looking up some translations it seems I made a rather subtle error in my assumptions. There's the word "steril" in German which I always thought could be translated directly as "sterile". But looking at it in more detail there is some difference in nuance. See here. The German word primarily means aseptic and clean, while the English word seems to have an association with "barren" or "dead". Sorry for any confusion.

If it's any help, either association works for different aspects of ME. Not sure why anyone would assume it meant "deficient in originality or creativity," though; if that was the case, I'd have phrased it differently, like "deficient in originality or creativity."

Corto

Although I would give a higher note to Darksiders I can understand how someone could give it such a low review... Its drawbacks don't lessen the fun that I'm having with it.

Top Bottom