• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamestm Top 15 Games machines of all time (reader poll)

Saty

The list being reader-voted doesn't make the situation any more understandable. Pretty sad, actually. And i thought Edge\GamesTM subscribers are more versed than the average gamer.

Can't say I disagree. 360 has evolved greatly over the course of this generation and all for the better.

If you told me in 2005 that in 2011 the same 360 would have all these additional Live features, services, dashboard overhauls, Kinect and so on, I'd told you to stop being an idiot.

MS set the trend on how a locked in platform can evolve via software and services. THAT will be norm for all consoles going forward. So yes, the 360 is number 1 because it shift industry mindset and standard.

Now back to your regularly scheduled hate.

Derrick01

Banned
The list being reader-voted doesn't make the situation any more understandable. Pretty sad, actually. And i thought Edge\GamesTM subscribers are more versed than the average gamer.

It does to me.

When it comes to gaming user polls, user reviews, whatever you want...are useless. The audience as a whole is not mature enough to take seriously. That's why I don't understand why some people here take metacritic user reviews seriously.

Randomizer

Me too :(

It reminds me of any of the lists Famsitu do. The Japanese have such a flavour of the month mentality. They are big into trends and fads so the hip new thing is always tops of the list or a close second.

BeeDog

Meh, not a poll I can agree with. The PS3 and 360 are so interchangeable they might as well share the same spot somewhere on the list. For the first place, I can't decide whether the PC or the PS2 deserves it. My absolute favorite games were for the PC, but the PS2 had the biggest and most diverse library that appealed to me. I never had a SNES so can't comment on it, and I wasn't into RPG's and so during the PSX era (didn't even have the PSX anyway :p), so the platform doesn't rank high on my list either.

Gowans

Nice to see a list with Amiga and Speccy on it.

Surprised SNES was so high, Nintendo wasn't that big in the UK till the 64.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NES at 14 is that list's biggest problem, and there are MANY problems on that list.

see5harp

I don't think it's arguable at all, I think it being rated number 1 is insanity, It deserves to be on the list but I would say in the lower half of the list.

It's okay you can think what you want. I don't see how it isn't the most important console this gen though. It standardized online invites, chat, achievements, and was the first console. I really appreciate the size of the PS2/snes library but the XBOX or mega drive were not influenced heavily by design decisions of their peers. 360 has had more effect on its direct competitors (Steam and PS3) than any console throughout history. Give it some credit.

It's okay you can think what you want. I don't see how it isn't the most important console this gen though. It standardized online invites, chat, achievements, and was the first console. I really appreciate the size of the PS2/snes library but the XBOX or mega drive were not influenced heavily by design decisions of their peers. 360 has had more effect on its direct competitors (Steam and PS3) than any console throughout history. Give it some credit.
I think it could be at least as persuasively argued that the Wii had the greatest impact on competitors this generation. Look at the proliferation of motion gaming and "casual" games across all platforms following the meteoric rise of the console in its first few years.

Cromat

Honestly I think the whole concept behind this list is pretty dumb but the correct answer for #1 is probably PlayStation 2.

Jarmel

Banned
If it is a real ranking, then its the scribblings of madmen.

Consider the hardware: the most unreliable and toxic console to ever be released, with a failure rate that shames the entire industry.

Consider the software: the console has objectively less games than the PC, and less diversity than the PS2 and DS.

So what kind of logic are they using?

XBL and COD.

A.KU.MU

Banned
1. Gamecube

Fixed.

9DwT9.gif

Danneee

I've owned most consoles at least once and the 360 is the one I like the most. Excellent retro gaming in the form of XBLA, awesome selection of disc based games and the best controller yet.
I just feel like it's the most complete package yet when it comes to gaming consoles. And it's understandable that people rage over the placing of their favorite consoles, as always.

ITT: gamers scoffing at gamers being immature and having bad tastes. It's like raiaaaiiiiiiin...

It's only a stupid list, people, just like every other list ever, including GAF's lists. Don't take it to heart.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Errr, was this done on the Moon?

Nobody in the UK has any nostalgia for the SNES. The thing bombed over here. Ask anyone over the age of 25 and they'll pick Mega Drive over SNES every time.

The UK is such a Sega stronghold I'm surprised even the Saturn isn't on there.

Edit: Damn, not even the Master System is on there. I'm kind of disappointed in the GamesTM readership now. Thought their readers were a little more highbrow than those of Games Master magazine, but obviously not.

Satchel

Banned
I think it could be at least as persuasively argued that the Wii had the greatest impact on competitors this generation. Look at the proliferation of motion gaming and "casual" games across all platforms following the meteoric rise of the console in its first few years.

But surely judging a 'bext console' should encompass more than just influence on the industry/competitors.

If you created a checklist on what makes a 'great console', you'd be hard pressed to not have the 360 tick every box possible.

Corto

If Game Informer had a similar reader poll it would get very similar results. Atari for Spectrum ZX, DS for Commodore, Xbox 360 on top place and maybe PC wouldn't be in the list altogether.

7threst

I would give it some credit but not THAT much.

Yagharek

Honestly I think the whole concept behind this list is pretty dumb but the correct answer for #1 is probably PlayStation 2.

Even though its not my preferred pick, PS2 certainly deserves it, along with SNES. DS should be up there too, and MegaDrive.

I personally cannot fathom how 360 is so high. I've never come across a system with as many problems and as limited software variety. But I guess that's not a common view.

Corto

360 doesnt even come close to the variety and quality of the SNES and PS2.

It surpasses those. It has Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Call of Duty World at War, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty Black Ops and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

AntMurda

It is a reader poll. Nothing more fair and honest than that. I agree. The XBOX 360 is the greatest system.

Now don't get me wrong. The PS2 has like an almost infinite amount of interesting games covering the RPG, Platforming and Action-Adventure genre with better degree. But the entire experience the 360 offers like HD graphics, XBOX Live, achievements, downloadable demos, downloadable content, interesting non-game features and apps, all that can really bring some experiences to a new parallel not previously found.

I similarly credit the Nintendo 64 for the revolution it created with 4-player in room multiplayer during its reign.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't know if I'd rate 360 in my top 15, let alone #1. PC would easily be #1 if that includes emus/MAME/indie titles. If not then SNES is it.

Top Bottom