• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Announces today Wii U Wait-Program "Demand off the charts"

So what do we base it if not power?

Service? You really think Nintendo's current non-existent services and empty promises will really beat XBL and PSN?
Miiverse/OS doesn't eat a gig for nothing. Nintendo's taking a different approach, but media funtionality and online integration seem like something Wii U's really hitting hard with (tabbed browser, videochat, various Streaming services, etc).

You base it off the console/games that come out for said generation. Duh..

So we all know Wii U is getting ports of PS3/360 or PS3/360 level of graphics and fidelity for games.

Same generation. Not "Next-Gen". I already knew that like a year and a half ago.

Miiverse/OS doesn't eat a gig for nothing. Nintendo's taking a different approach, but media funtionality and online integration seem like something Wii U's really hitting hard with (tabbed browser, videochat, various Streaming services, etc).

They rolled some videos. I call that empty promises until we actually see it in action.
Given how they haven't even done anything like that properly should make anyone hesitant to believe them.

The phrase "off the charts" was used to describe demand. We've heard similar comments from other sources. This is gonna be a huge launch.

Off the charts compared to other launches? I dunno... I'm just not feeling the buzz. But we are still a fair way out from launch, so I guess that's to be expected.

My point is launch shipments selling out isn't unusual with a console launch. It's pretty much the norm actually.

jeremy1456

So we all know Wii U is getting ports of PS3/360 or PS3/360 level of graphics and fidelity for games.

Same generation. Not "Next-Gen". I already knew that like a year and a half ago.

Xbox 360 got ports of PS2 games in launch window.

It obviously was a part of the gc, ps2, and og Xbox generation. Obviously.

They rolled some videos. I call that empty promises until we actually see it in action.
Given how they haven't even done anything like that properly should make anyone hesitant to believe them.
The thing's not out yet, all we have are "promises".

RAM set aside for OS/media/network:

360: 32MB
PS3: 50MB
Wii U: 1024MB

Get your argument straight - is it the amount of ports or graphic fidelity? You're kinda all over the place.

Take a look at what you originally quoted and see that I never excluded either.

Xbox 360 got ports of PS2 games in launch window.

It obviously was a part of the gc, ps2, and og Xbox generation. Obviously.

mclaren777

First next gen console in years, very little competition, tons o' games, badass controller, acceptable price. What doesn't make sense?

I've played the Wii U and it's definitely not next-gen. The tablet feels awkward and the screen is remarkably underwhelming.

Plus, it's rather expensive and I don't see any killer apps on the horizon.

I've played the Wii U and it's definitely not next-gen. The tablet feels awkward and the screen is remarkably underwhelming.

Plus, it's rather expensive and I don't see any killer apps on the horizon.

Regardless of what they think of it, I don't know how anyone wouldn't consider NSMBU a killer app.

And yeah, it is next-gen. It's the successor to a 7th generation video game console, making it an 8th generation console.

It's current gen because you say it's current gen.

Just say it straight out and don't be coy about it.

It's current gen because it only has current gen games.

Waah waah dude, you're out of touch. There's a shit-ton more to next gen than visuals. Like the way you interact with the software for example.

So Xbox 360 has already reached Next Gen with Kinect?
Sony already reached Next Gen and done what the Wii U was to do with the Vita?

You're really excluding a lot there.

Uh oh, the "next gen" semantics again.

Is there any middle ground between thinking the Wii U is going to be the biggest and best console ever and thinking it's a "last gen" machine?

Sounds like "empty promises" to me. Much like Move and Kinect for the most part.

If the already released Move and Kinect that have already sold millions is empty promises, I really don't know how to respond to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzO5gguN8E&sns=em

Thats sad you say that man..I know you are probably a sony fanboy or whatever but that..that..just, no.

I don't see anything special. It's almost as good as the first LBP.

If the already released Move and Kinect that have already sold millions is empty promises, I really don't know how to respond to you.
Sure they shoved them out, to largely unspectacular results, Move way more than Kinect though. Expect Vita crossplay to be similarly shoved out to little fanfare and quickly abandoned.

This is like saying Uncharted is Gamecube-level because it's PoP:SoT with guns.

Uncharted graphics and cinematic gameplay were leaps and bounds beyond almost every game.

I think Nintendo Land is just a minigame collection with decent graphics for some of the minigames.

Sure they shoved them out, to largely unspectacular results, Move way more than Kinect though. Expect Vita crossplay to be similarly shoved out to little fanfare and quickly abandoned.

Making millions of dollars is unspectacular indeed, and I'm looking forward to buying exclusive titles of such abandoned peripherals which have been announced at E3 and Gamescom.

It's 60fps. :)

Maybe I'd care if it was 60fps for a racing sim. A minigame though?

Uncharted graphics and cinematic gameplay were leaps and bounds beyond almost every game.

I think Nintendo Land is just a minigame collection with decent graphics for some of the minigames.

Making millions of dollars is unspectacular indeed, and I'm looking forward to buying exclusive titles of such abandoned peripherals which have been announced at E3 and Gamescom.
It's funny that your whole argument stems from Wii U not being next gen, but all your examples were dominated by Wii (a far less powerful system, graphically) last gen.

So LBP is gamecube level? Trolls will be trolls.

I said almost to LBP1, of course withholding the fact that all the levels have been created with level tools available to the user.

It's funny that your whole argument stems from Wii U not being next gen, but all your examples were dominated by Wii (a far less powerful system, graphically) last gen.

Sorry, but the Wii was dominated by the PS2 of the same generation. =P

tenchir

Is the Wii U in a similar situation with the Dreamcast? The Dreamcast wasn't in the same league with the XBOX when it comes to specs, but the games between them didn't look too different at the time.

Dreamcast
200 mhz SH-4 CPU, 8MB System RAM
PowerVR 100mhz 16MB Video RAM

XBOX
733 mhz x86 CPU
233 mhz Nvidia GPU, 64MB RAM

Looking at it, it had at least 2-3x the power, but does the games actually represent that difference?

We are already hitting dimishing returns in graphics today. Putting in so much resource for some noticeable graphical improvements between the current gen and latest PC hardware.

CheapyD

Nintendo will probably only ship 300k-400k Wii Us to US retailers each month for the immediate future. I don't think it means much that they are sold out.

Microsoft sold close to 2 million 360s last November and Sony moved about 1 million PS3s.

Let's see how they do in November 2013.

tenchir

DC_Shenmue_II_04.jpg

NeOak

The DC version has an awful slowdown and runs at 30fps max. Xbox version ran at 60fps iirc a consistent 30fps.

Didn't help that Shenmue was already taxing the Dreamcast, and they had to use SH4 assembly in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue_II#Differences_between_the_Xbox_and_Dreamcast_versions said:
The graphics were improved by the Xbox's more advanced hardware (bloom lighting during the night hours, better looking water, among other features), the lengths of the load times were slightly reduced, Dolby Digital 5.1 support was added for the game's cutscenes, and the frame rate now ran at a much more consistent 30 frames per second with less loss in characters on-screen (the Dreamcast version used an aggressive character LOD that caused pedestrians to fade in and out of plain view in very crowded scenes). This was all done without many sacrifices to the original game design, with only one instance (the Worker's Pier,) of noticeable pedestrian reduction from the Dreamcast version. The Xbox version also used Quincunx Anti-Aliasing (like many Xbox games) and although the technique reduced "jaggies" associated with aliasing, fans are generally split down the middle as to whether this and the new nighttime bloom lighting effects hurt the image quality in the Xbox version of the game giving it a somewhat "blurry" or "washed out" look.

Top Bottom