• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop closing stores?!

Ailike

While I don't celebrate any closures, I won't delude myself into white knighting any employees. A Gamestop employs like 5 people, and they could literally make more working at the Taco Bell across the street. It's doing them a favor really.

Feel bad for all the great people who will lose their jobs. Many people work at gamestop because they are passionate about video games. Like a lot of retail, these are sad stories.

StormCell

I only had good experiences with my Gamestops, but it was only ever because of the people working there and totally nothing to do with the business.

It might be doing the employees a favor, but we've got to have better options for physical stores than Walmart who, for reasons unknown to me, still gives Xbox One just as much space as PS4 and continues to lump all of Wii, DS, 3DS, and Switch onto a single shelf.

goldenpp72

When you are a college gamer on a budget it’s not too bad. Big problem for them is now we are seeing a lot of great discounts on the MS and PS store. GameStop just can’t compete.

Gamestop has issues far deeper than their price. They have no care for the customer experience, it makes the idea of going there annoying. We live in a world where just going outside is inconvenient, making it so going there is dreadful is just bizarre. If you walk into the store you will be greeted, then bombarded with a bunch of junk promotions thrown at you before you can do your business. If you end up buying something now you will be barraged. Want to preorder one of these 50 games? Here is this bag go fill it with games and give them to us. Hey your membership is gonna lapse! Would you like to buy protection for your games? Hey look a funkopop themed after this game you bought. Also don't forget to fill out this survey when you leave.

This ignores how much worse it gets if you care about the condition of the item, or want an actually sealed game that is labeled new. I was harassed for returning a collector's edition that was new because it was missing pieces and they knew it too. They couldn't process why someone willing to pay a premium wants their shit they themselves gutted.

I can tolerate this because I collect and they can be good as a resource, but going there is unpleasant when you just want to go buy something.

If Gamestop can't make it, then neither can smaller game shops. The big box stores only have the newest games.

Pfft, I find copies of Amped 3 everywhere!

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
How so? There's still plenty of ways to buy physical without Gamestop. You defenders are pretty delusional.
If Gamestop can't make it, then neither can smaller game shops. The big box stores only have the newest games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Gamestop is a terrible chain. In the short term I understand that it will suck for these naive employees to lose their underpaid retail positions, but in the long term it will be better for their mental health.

Gamestop is fully aware of who wants to work at their stores. They know they can sucker in an endless stream of naive, bright-eyed gamer nerds with no retail experience to speak of. They can underpay them and actually make some money off them by tapping into their pre-existing addictions. These employees will be churned through Gamestop and won't pick up much real-world experience to benefit them at the next job. I spent enough time at Gamestop to see employees who would cash their paycheck and then turn around and spend much of it at Gamestop using their employee discount, buying up the used games they'd set aside on the "employee shelf" during the previous week.

At Gamestop, employees get written up and fired because they overslept due to playing Xbox Live too late the previous night. They get fired for stealing product from the company because they're addicted to games (Gamestop wires up their shelves with cameras, not just the big security camera pointed at the door). They get written up because they went on a fanboy rant and chased a customer out of the store. It's really no different than paying a bunch of alcoholics to run the liquor store.

Last edited:

StormCell

Gamestop has issues far deeper than their price. They have no care for the customer experience, it makes the idea of going there annoying. We live in a world where just going outside is inconvenient, making it so going there is dreadful is just bizarre. If you walk into the store you will be greeted, then bombarded with a bunch of junk promotions thrown at you before you can do your business. If you end up buying something now you will be barraged. Want to preorder one of these 50 games? Here is this bag go fill it with games and give them to us. Hey your membership is gonna lapse! Would you like to buy protection for your games? Hey look a funkopop themed after this game you bought. Also don't forget to fill out this survey when you leave.

This ignores how much worse it gets if you care about the condition of the item, or want an actually sealed game that is labeled new. I was harassed for returning a collector's edition that was new because it was missing pieces and they knew it too. They couldn't process why someone willing to pay a premium wants their shit they themselves gutted.

I can tolerate this because I collect and they can be good as a resource, but going there is unpleasant when you just want to go buy something.

My experience yesterday was actually really exceptional. I placed Far Cry 5 ($15 currently) on hold via the website. I drove there after work. I was greeted by the only poor soul in there, and then they left me alone while I perused the games on the shelf. Then I calmly approached the counter, showed them my email, and they sold me the game without any promotions, offers, or membership talk. We then had an interesting conversation about Far Cry villains and how 5 is their second favorite in the series. I then went home and really enjoyed my game and stayed up way too late...

Every Gamestop experience ought to be like this.

goldenpp72

My experience yesterday was actually really exceptional. I placed Far Cry 5 ($15 currently) on hold via the website. I drove there after work. I was greeted by the only poor soul in there, and then they left me alone while I perused the games on the shelf. Then I calmly approached the counter, showed them my email, and they sold me the game without any promotions, offers, or membership talk. We then had an interesting conversation about Far Cry villains and how 5 is their second favorite in the series. I then went home and really enjoyed my game and stayed up way too late...

Every Gamestop experience ought to be like this.

This would be fine, if people who love games can stop where the employees love them too it could be fun. Unfortunately GS corporation makes these people act like they earn commission.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
How are they evil? They sell a product that I like to purchase, and I've never really had any problems with them.

A few things beyond the poor employee treatment mentioned earlier.

My nickname for the store (and I'm sure others feel the same way) is "GlorifiedPawnShop." It thrives so much on used game sales, since those generate much higher profit, that you wonder if the staff won't be offended when you insist on a new copy.

And when you do want a new copy, it pushes pre-orders... hard. There are stories of the company practically looking down its nose at people who want to wait until launch day and reviews before buying a game.

There's also the very nature of its main business: it built itself on selling physical copies of games, a format that will inevitably die. It was (and to a degree, still is) holding back the future by pushing the game industry to cling to physical copies beyond what's really necessary. Imagine if HMV or Tower Records could force music labels to release albums on CD at the same time as digital -- that's the kind of power GameStop has exerted.

This isn't to say GameStop is all bad, and I'd rather go there to buy a console or gamepad over a generic electronics chain like Best Buy. But there's not much sympathy when one of its stores closes, since it epitomizes a few of the game industry's problems over the years.

Nymphae

Banned
And when you do want a new copy, it pushes pre-orders... hard.

What do you mean by hard exactly? When I go in there, they never ask if I want to preorder anything, unless I have extra money left over from a trade in or something. Then they might ask, do you want to put this towards something? I say no, throw it on a card, and there's no fight about it.

Ditto scratch protection. Do you want it? Nope. Ok.

Idk, like I said, as a consumer I haven't really had much problem with them myself, they've been a good place to find cheap games and I'll miss it when they are gone since it'll be one less place I'll have to get used stuff. As I get older I'll likely buy less anyway, I see myself only buying a fighting game here and there and those are already hard enough to find used at EB.

Pallas

I guess this is where Microsoft steps in and buys GameStop, essentially turning it into their disc-to-digital front.

Ok but seriously, stores close down a lot if they underperform but it’s no secret that GameStop has been struggling financially and hasn’t handled the digital era well. Selling off Spring Mobile is only delaying the inevitable, someone will buy them out.

Mihos

Gold Member
Gamestop is pretty much the last game focused store we have in my area. There is a pretty good book store here that trades in used games at least.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
What do you mean by hard exactly? When I go in there, they never ask if I want to preorder anything, unless I have extra money left over from a trade in or something. Then they might ask, do you want to put this towards something? I say no, throw it on a card, and there's no fight about it.

Ditto scratch protection. Do you want it? Nope. Ok.

Idk, like I said, as a consumer I haven't really had much problem with them myself, they've been a good place to find cheap games and I'll miss it when they are gone since it'll be one less place I'll have to get used stuff. As I get older I'll likely buy less anyway, I see myself only buying a fighting game here and there and those are already hard enough to find used at EB.

There are more than a few people who've been asked about pre-ordering games -- I'm sure it varies from store to store, but they're not always as kind as you've experienced.

There's also its push for exclusive pre-order bonuses ("pre-order Hyper-Macho Shooter XVI at GameStop and get an exclusive weapon!"). And like I implied earlier, it will prioritize pre-order customers to the point where you may get funny looks if you ask to buy a game on launch day and you haven't pre-ordered, even if they have stock to spare.

I'm not too bothered about the decline of used game sales myself, since we've seen that publishers are more willing to cut prices after the initial rush. Wait a few months and that $60 game is suddenly $40.

Kdad

I only had good experiences with my Gamestops, but it was only ever because of the people working there and totally nothing to do with the business.

It might be doing the employees a favor, but we've got to have better options for physical stores than Walmart who, for reasons unknown to me, still gives Xbox One just as much space as PS4 and continues to lump all of Wii, DS, 3DS, and Switch onto a single shelf.

For stores like Walmart... isnt it MS/SONY/Nintendo that are paying for the floorspace ... I often see company employees in the Walmart near me changing up the advertising etc....similar to how Coke/Pepsi take care of their own shit in the grocery stores near me...it isn't stocked by store employees.

PSFan

So what? Best Buy has more than just the newest games. If it's not in store, you can order from their website. Between retailer sites, Amazon and ordering direct from the developer/publisher website, I can get a physical copy of any game I am looking for, a CE/LE too if I so desire. And even have it delivered right to my door on release day.

Gamestop and smaller game shops are obsolete. They really aren't needed any more. And that won't affect physical games at all.

Pallas

There are more than a few people who've been asked about pre-ordering games -- I'm sure it varies from store to store, but they're not always as kind as you've experienced.

There's also its push for exclusive pre-order bonuses ("pre-order Hyper-Macho Shooter XVI at GameStop and get an exclusive weapon!"). And like I implied earlier, it will prioritize pre-order customers to the point where you may get funny looks if you ask to buy a game on launch day and you haven't pre-ordered, even if they have stock to spare.

I'm not too bothered about the decline of used game sales myself, since we've seen that publishers are more willing to cut prices after the initial rush. Wait a few months and that $60 game is suddenly $40.

I always wondered about those exclusive preorder dlc content, I imagine it doesn’t come free for GameStop to get those exclusive pieces of dlc, I wonder how much money they burned through to get that stuff.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Boo hoo. The job sector is red hot right now. If ever there were a good time for a crappy company to go out of business, this is it. So pardon me if I fail to shed any tears.

- constantly pushing customers to preorder (aka you loaning them money for 0% interest)

- pushing extended warranties (almost always a bad investment)

- selling open games as “new”

- buying used games for dirt cheap and selling them at ridiculous margins

- ugly “pawn shop” style stores filled with a bizarre assortment of toys, used electronics, apparel, and other non-gaming stuff

- supposedly pay poorly and treat their employees poorly

- barely relevant now that digital sales are taking over (and before you whine, the mobile market is 100% digital, PC is damn near 100% digital, and a substantial part of console is digital)

Time to go, GameStop. You may have been a necessary evil in the era of physical distribution, but I’m not going to mourn your loss now.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Could be just one of the stores that's simply underperforming due to being in a bad location. Definitely do NOT want to see GameStop go out of business as that would be horrible for everyone including those who dislike/hate GameStop.

They have some damn good deals and their console trade in deals are usually insane. In no way, shape or form do I want GameStop to go out of business. Fuck that. Amazon sucks since they eliminated the 20% off games and Best Buy now sucks because they eliminated GCU. Start eliminating the only competition they have and both of those places will get even worse for gamers.

goldenpp72

A few things beyond the poor employee treatment mentioned earlier.

My nickname for the store (and I'm sure others feel the same way) is "GlorifiedPawnShop." It thrives so much on used game sales, since those generate much higher profit, that you wonder if the staff won't be offended when you insist on a new copy.

And when you do want a new copy, it pushes pre-orders... hard. There are stories of the company practically looking down its nose at people who want to wait until launch day and reviews before buying a game.

There's also the very nature of its main business: it built itself on selling physical copies of games, a format that will inevitably die. It was (and to a degree, still is) holding back the future by pushing the game industry to cling to physical copies beyond what's really necessary. Imagine if HMV or Tower Records could force music labels to release albums on CD at the same time as digital -- that's the kind of power GameStop has exerted.

This isn't to say GameStop is all bad, and I'd rather go there to buy a console or gamepad over a generic electronics chain like Best Buy. But there's not much sympathy when one of its stores closes, since it epitomizes a few of the game industry's problems over the years.

I remember when I went to GS to pick up a game the day after it hit and they refused to sell to me because I didn't preorder. The outcome was going to Walmart across the street and never buying a newly released game from them again unless it's exclusive to them entirely.

Worked out well.

jadedm17

I hope my NECA TMNT figures I pre-ordered half a year ago are safe, that's all I can think about.

ceeeeeelebrate this time c'mon
Job losses are never a celebration, and Gamestop is a decent enough company (no one forces you to trade anything) - If you're looking for real businesses to hate then read the fine print on a Rent-A-Center ad and see how much they charge for a $300 console.
It's well over $700 when all is said and done. A $500 TV will cost north of $1200.)

They have some damn good deals and their console trade in deals are usually insane. In no way, shape or form do I want GameStop to go out of business.

I bought an iPhone off Craigslist for $130 that I traded into Gamestop literally minutes later for $280 credit;
People who complain about Gamestop's trade values are crazy, or more likely just lazy and don't realize Gamestop needs to profit - If you don't like Gamestop's trade values then post it online, wait a week, box up your item, drive to your local USPS, hope they don't claim to get an empty box...

Admittedly I am still sour my two "new" copies of Tearaway had two completely different seals - That shit doesn't fly with me. As a whole they're fine.

They can underpay them and actually make some money off them by tapping into their pre-existing addictions.
They're not an evil entity, they're a business... If you made lemonade for a living and people would pay $5 a glass would you say "No, I profit fine on $2, keep it"? Supply and demand for young inexperienced kids. Simple. If they wanted to work harder - or not around video games - I could find them a job serving tables making $20+ an hour but they don't. Same goes for Hot Topic employees.

Also I prefer physical and pay extra for LImitedRun and SuperRare games, physical copies of digital games for usually twice the price. Gamestop is pushing their interests but let's not act like no one wants physical.

1.A few things beyond the poor employee treatment mentioned earlier.
2. It thrives so much on used game sales, since those generate much higher profit, that you wonder if the staff won't be offended when you insist on a new copy.

3.And when you do want a new copy, it pushes pre-orders... hard. There are stories of the company practically looking down its nose at people who want to wait until launch day and reviews before buying a game.

4.There's also the very nature of its main business: it built itself on selling physical copies of games, a format that will inevitably die. It was (and to a degree, still is) holding back the future by pushing the game industry to cling to physical copies beyond what's really necessary. Imagine if HMV or Tower Records could force music labels to release albums on CD at the same time as digital -- that's the kind of power GameStop has exerted.

1. Every entree job ever, yea, no real world abilities means no respect. You earn that later.
2. Yes that's their "bread and butter" profit, buying a car or furniture is largely the same - Heck my job as a bartender is to get you to spend more. "I'll have a margarita" - Is Patron OK? - "House tequila" And I move on with my life.
3.Store to store, and management among other factors are the issue. NY, KY and FL I've never had an issue at more than 30 stores, nothing beyond reasonable.
4. Physical will die? They still make vinyl records. They sell them at Target and Best Buy.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

So what? Best Buy has more than just the newest games. If it's not in store, you can order from their website. Between retailer sites, Amazon and ordering direct from the developer/publisher website, I can get a physical copy of any game I am looking for, a CE/LE too if I so desire. And even have it delivered right to my door on release day.

Gamestop and smaller game shops are obsolete. They really aren't needed any more. And that won't affect physical games at all.

Not really. If you want to buy old games at Best buy that means they are still selling. There are probably over 1000 retail releases this gen that will never circulate through Best Buy again, but they will at Gamestop.

People who only think in their own bubble are the worst.

I am not sure where is hate is from.. bad trade in value? They had some of the best deal for Assassin's Creed and lost legacy during black friday sale. They were also taking original xbox one for 200 credit a few month ago. You get bad trade in value if you don;'t knwo where to look. They give crazy amount of credit during their special promo. No one is forcing you to buy their last display copy as new. You can walk away and go to another location.

Last edited:

demigod

I dont get the actual hate either. If you dont like shopping there, dont. But how does a game retailer going out of business make anyone’s life better?

Like I understand hating casinos or sweatshops or Philip Morris or big pharma...but Gamestop?

Resident Evil 7 Collector's edition ONLY AVAILABLE AT GAMESTOP. Same with Monster Hunter 3DS LE.

When I called for a "sealed copy" of FF10 months after it's been out and the guy confirmed it with me they have it in stock, driving 15minutes there and he pulls out an opened copy and pretending that someone right before me bought the last copy. Yeah I couldn't give a shit if they lose their job for blatantly lying to me wasting my time and gas.

The only time I even bother with gamestop now is when they get "exclusives". Otherwise its better to shop at Best Buy where I can get points and $10 store credit on preorder.

Zog

Banned
I remember when I went to GS to pick up a game the day after it hit and they refused to sell to me because I didn't preorder. The outcome was going to Walmart across the street and never buying a newly released game from them again unless it's exclusive to them entirely.

Worked out well.
Now imagine that you pre-ordered it and GameStop sold your copy to someone else.

I've been in a Gamestop once in the past year or so. What I noticed is that they shifted much further towards toys and gaming related novelties. The sole surviving record and music stores have done the same.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
jadedm17 jadedm17 Me celebrating the downfall of a company I believe is garbage =/= me enjoying the loss of people's jobs. While it is obviously part of subsequent events, I believe its only fair to call me out on that if I was explicitly saying "aw yeahhhh let's go Gamestop workers get lost!"

Corporate Gamestop is not my favorite.

baphomet

Now imagine that you pre-ordered it and GameStop sold your copy to someone else.

Imagine a company focused soley on selling games doesn't understand that they need to order more copies than the amount of preorders.

shark sandwich

Worked out well.
Haha this happened to me with Halo 3. GameStop gave me a hard time for not preordering. I walked over to the Target next door and they had a mountain of Halo 3 boxes.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Imagine a company focused soley on selling games doesn't understand that they need to order more copies than the amount of preorders.
‘They should have forseen the number of copies they would need’ is your best argument?

Last edited:

shark sandwich

jadedm17 jadedm17 Me celebrating the downfall of a company I believe is garbage =/= me enjoying the loss of people's jobs. While it is obviously part of subsequent events, I believe its only fair to call me out on that if I was explicitly saying "aw yeahhhh let's go Gamestop workers get lost!"

Corporate Gamestop is not my favorite.
Imagine if every shitty, failed business were kept on life support just to avoid the loss of jobs.

Bad businesses SHOULD fail. And this is probably the best time ever to be looking for a job.

baphomet

‘They should have forseen the number of copies they would need’ is your best argument?

Well yes, being that is their job. Being that I occasionally work in a game store I can tell you that ls exactly what happens.

zenspider

Why would anyone celebrate somebody losing their job? I've found several good deals at GameStop through the years and have enjoyed talking to more than a few employees. No, they haven't been perfect but I would prefer more options than less.

They can find another job - maybe one where they don't have to up-sell children and bilk thier parents to get hours.

Gamestop gobbled up video game retail and sank it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't like Gamestop and won't shop there, but it would suck if the used game market died this soon. If the death of Gamestop meant that someone else took their place as the used market leader, I guess that could be fine.

A chain like Walmart that will be standing whether or not the game department sells enough used games could be a good candidate since they wouldn't depend on high used prices to stay alive like Gamestop has been. Take your used games into Walmart, get store credit to buy a huge selection of electronics, home supplies, food, ect. Or take the lower cash option.

jadedm17

Resident Evil 7 Collector's edition ONLY AVAILABLE AT GAMESTOP. Same with Monster Hunter 3DS LE.

When I called for a "sealed copy" of FF10 months after it's been out and the guy confirmed it with me they have it in stock, driving 15minutes there and he pulls out an opened copy and pretending that someone right before me bought the last copy. Yeah I couldn't give a shit if they lose their job for blatantly lying to me wasting my time and gas.

The only time I even bother with gamestop now is when they get "exclusives". Otherwise its better to shop at Best Buy where I can get points and $10 store credit on preorder.

How do you know that story isnt true? I mean it did take you 900 seconds to get there!

Games have been diced up between BestBuy, Walmart, Target and Gamestop....
I'm pretty sure three heads of four it's still gonna be broken up - Losing Gamestop won't stop the practice.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My position on GameStop is I’m just buying games via online stores, nothing personal.

Hinedorf

Banned
I stopped supporting Gamestop several years ago. The #1 reason they lost me is forced speech they have to give you when you're at the register just trying to make a purchase.

There's a level of being respectful to your customers and straight up treating them like a dollar figure when you spend 5 minutes at the register holding up a purchase for corporate mandate.

Nevermind the giant line of customers now formed waiting while you give the senseless time consuming speech to each customer.

Sad to see any video game store shut down, in this case it's a direct result of poor business practices.

VertigoOA

Banned
I moved to all digital awhile ago. Digital sales are usually always the better deal.

I’m not replacing the batteries in cartridges to play my super nes.

And I’m not going to pretend that I don’t have more access to all games than I ever did...

And I don’t need to showcase how much I’ve pissed away on gaming over the decades...

So...

3750814315_17ba3bd18f.jpg

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I had a much better locally-owned game store close to me until about a year ago when it finally went under... it was a lovely place with a great, diverse collection of retro consoles and rare games alongside the new releases. I'd like to think that Gamestop tanking would bring back more of the local stores, but what killed them was primarily online sales from the likes of Amazon etc. Buy your games locally if you can!

StormCell

Personally, I'd like to see a Starbucks-Video game store hybrid. I almost never go to a cafe unless I just have time to kill, but if they had multiples of each game console set up with comfy couches, good beverages and snacks, and I could pretty reliably sit there and play a game all day before deciding to buy, I'd be all over it.

demigod

How do you know that story isnt true? I mean it did take you 900 seconds to get there!

Games have been diced up between BestBuy, Walmart, Target and Gamestop....
I'm pretty sure three heads of four it's still gonna be broken up - Losing Gamestop won't stop the practice.

I’d have a better chance at winning the lottery than the odds of someone buying it at the same store as me on the same day at the same hour 3+ months after the game came out.

Oh look MK 11 CE is exclusive to gamestop.

Petrae

GameStop execs know that the chain’s time is almost up. Gaming-centric retailers are no longer relevant in a time where digital distribution is rapidly becoming the standard, and those sticking with digital have found more lucrative ways to sell their unwanted games than to take the pittance that the once-popular chain offers.

The chain has tried to extend its time by becoming a tchotchke seller, flooding its stores by a bunch of ThinkGeek bullshit that sells for a ridiculous markup over the pennies spent to make. The chain flopped in its cell phone venture, and its foray into tablets and used electronics flamed out quickly.

The “Game” in GameStop has been moved away from. Video games are pushed to the outside of store planograms, while t-shirts and assorted “collectible” junk infect the rest of the store... save for that ever-growing tumor of “clearance” section, overflowing with unwanted crap branded with retina-burning yellow tags.

With used game sales slowing more and more, GameStop is losing the life force that powers its profits. The chain can sell all of the new games and hardware it can, but profit margins are so razor-thin on these items that it’s not enough to make up for losses elsewhere. When profits fall, investors look for ways out. Tchotchke sales can only do so much.

Even if there was hope for GameStop long-term, the chain needs to address its problems with redundant locations. Yes, that means putting people out of work, as shitty as that sounds. There is ZERO need for two GameStop stores within 5 miles of each other, or even within 10 miles of each other. These redundancies should have been closed years ago, as they are wastes of operating costs and employee overhead. They’ve long since outlasted their usefulness, and, with brick-and-mortar retail collectively suffering a downturn that it will never recover from, are accelerating the chain toward its inevitable demise.

Is it sad to see GameStop stores closing, and the chain seemingly emitting its death rattle? I don’t know. It’s more sad to see video game specialty retail, in general, dying off. At one time, there were so many choices... before GameStop assimilated most of them, and those that weren’t died off because they were attached to video rental chains that died out after Netflix and other streaming media options rendered them obsolete.

Perhaps smaller, “Mom and Pop” stores can fill some of the void that GameStop will leave behind, but they too will likely have to find other ways to generate profit (and thus a reason to stay in business) other than video games. The shops close to where I live rely on supplemental lines of business, like computer repair, cell phone sales, and board/tabletop game sales to survive. Video games alone just aren’t enough anymore.

The times, they are a-changin’... whether you like it or not.

I don't hate GameStop, even though I personally don't shop with them at all. I won't be celebrating the day they shut down completely, but I also won't be sad. Business is business. The fact that so many of us don't see a USP that draws us into what is basically a glorified game pawn shop says it all. The problem isn't us, it's them. I understand that SOME people still see value in GameStop. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people don't see a compelling reason to do business with them, so they are on their way out. Do I hate GameStop? No. Do I care if GameStop exists? No.

As for those who might lose jobs over this - I simply say - was GameStop the end of their career path? If so, then they will find somewhere else of equal footing to work. I'm honestly not trying to be callous, but a job like GameStop should not be anyone's final destination. If it is, then that isn't consumers fault if that place that offered nothing compelling ceases to exist and they no longer have that place to work.

Last edited:
I remember in that Steve Jobs movie starring Michael Fassbender, Woz was giving Jobs some shit for laying off a team and he says something like "I laid off the Apple II team because we, uh, don't make that anymore".

Top Bottom