• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch. Permanent? UP: Sure ain't!

No free shipping made me not go through with his offer hehe. Guess I will keep waiting on possible future deals and hopefully a redesign. Really only want it for 2 games so far, everything else seems meh or not interested in, so probably best I wait.

Oh yeah, just like the motion plus on the Wii.

Wait.

They're having the dual analogue attachment be Gamestop only. I still think the dual analogue and 2nd set of shoulder pads in the revision is most likely going to happen but there is some reason to doubt considering Nintendo went retailer exclusive with it and from what I've seen from the Gamestops in the area there wasn't a lot of stock sent.

Anyway, Nintendo isn't playing around this time trying to undercut the Vita.

These clearing stock comments are funny. 3DS sells more than enough units that if they wanted to clear stock all they have to do is stop shipping them out.

TheNatural

My Member!
This isn't much of a sale. I've noticed other retailers giving similar types of deals even past the holidays. Last week I think KMart was giving a $30 gaming coupon with the purchase of a 3DS, so you could just use that on a game anyway. Of course the holiday sales were all pretty nuts at the time. Seems like an empty gesture that's fallen within the cracks.

Kuran

Banned
I have a feeling the second nub add-on had something to do with a deal with Capcom. Although it would be great if they would put it on the redesign by default.

Maedhros

I mean, his argument that the DS was that much less portable than the PSP (and that something has now changed in that regard to the 3DS vs. PSV) is questionable, but do you really doubt the conclusion? Nintendo has a handheld with a fleshed out library and a $100 price advantage.

I was talking about the DS being bulky and shit... I mean... DS Lite arrived soon after PSP release and that's basically the same as the 3DS, design wise. And the way he talks about the hardware, as it's the second coming of messiah.

He's right about it having a more fleshed out line-up and a price advantage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Which had a hardware bundle and launched with a multi-million selling Nintendo game.

Some MotionPlus games were impossible to play without the attachment, though. That is not the case now or in the foreseeable future for the Circle Pad Pro.

Basically, the Circle Pad Pro is like the Classic Controller for Wii. An alternate, optional control method that core games and gamers can use but aren't forced on everybody.

Edit- For the record I'm 70/30 on the 3DS redesign having a second circle pad.

Emitan

If the 3DS is going to get a 2nd stick, why would the CCPro be exclusive to Gamestop? As it stands right now, I would never encounter one for sale ever. And presumably some games would be only playable with an accessory I can only find in one store. It just doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Some MotionPlus games were impossible to play without the attachment, though. That is not the case now or in the foreseeable future for the Circle Pad Pro.

Basically, the Circle Pad Pro is like the Classic Controller for Wii. An alternate, optional control method that core games and gamers can use but aren't forced on everybody.

It seems like they don't really want to push the stick at the moment because they still want to sell regular 3DS. The second they start legitimizing that thing is the second people start actively waiting for the redesign.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
they screwed up massively by putting black/white on the ds.

"Screwed up massively" to the tune of over 12 million copies.

Besides that, I really get the feeling Nintendo doesn't interfere with Game Freak that much since they're such a cash cow. Black and White were on DS because Game Freak wanted them to be.

If the 3DS is going to get a 2nd stick, why would the CCPro be exclusive to Gamestop? As it stands right now, I would never encounter one for sale ever. And presumably some games would be only playable with an accessory I can only find in one store. It just doesn't make sense.

If the game was only playable with the add on they could just bundle it it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I agree, the sound is almost non existent, granted I haven't heard the Vita's speakers either so I can't compare with it.

If you turn off the surround sound and set it to stereo in the general 3ds menu for setup you'll get a sound boost in terms of volume level.

I play with headphones most of the time though so it's fine as it is with surround sound on for me.

PS: I'll reiterate I've had no problems with the current controls on any game I've played. People have asked me since they've wondered about needing the 2nd stick and being on the buying fence. Everyone that's ended up with one has had the same opinion as me. We've all yet to play a game that sucks with the current controls.

These clearing stock comments are funny. 3DS sells more than enough units that if they wanted to clear stock all they have to do is stop shipping them out.

So then they will have a bunch of produced units sitting in their warehouses? Course they are gonna keep shipping out more even if there is plans for redesign.

AniHawk

"Screwed up massively" to the tune of over 12 million copies.

Besides that, I really get the feeling Nintendo doesn't interfere with Game Freak that much since they're such a cash cow. Black and White were on DS because Game Freak wanted them to be.

there were more opportunities to do thing like whatever the pokewalker did thanks to the 3ds being the 3ds. it would have had a better online system to be supported over many years instead of collapsing in on itself like a dying star. it would have also helped prop up 3ds sales early on and been a steady seller throughout its life.

there was really no reason not to do this, or not to have a 3rd version ready for the 3ds within the year.

there were more opportunities to do thing like whatever the pokewalker did thanks to the 3ds being the 3ds. it would have had a better online system to be supported over many years instead of collapsing in on itself like a dying star. it would have also helped prop up 3ds sales early on and been a steady seller throughout its life.

there was really no reason not to do this, or not to have a 3rd version ready for the 3ds within the year.

coughgreycough

So then they will have a bunch of produced units sitting in their warehouses? Course they are gonna keep shipping out more even if there is plans for redesign.

So they are going to just keep making units despite a redesign being on the way? Redesigns don't magically happen overnight and they would have plenty of time to get inventory under control.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
there were more opportunities to do thing like whatever the pokewalker did thanks to the 3ds being the 3ds.

You mean the C-Gear? The Pokewalker was only for HeartGold/SoulSilver, released in 2009/2010.

it would have had a better online system to be supported over many years instead of collapsing in on itself like a dying star.

What? The Pokemon B/W OT and Community thread are easily two of the most active threads in the Community forum. New Dream World and Wi-Fi events are coming out every couple weeks. NeoGAF's second B/W tourney is just about to wrap up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

it would have also helped prop up 3ds sales early on and been a steady seller throughout its life.

Dunno if you know this but it takes GF quite a while to code up an engine for a new platform. Black/White were primarily developed alongside HeartGold/SoulSilver, and were released over 5 months before the 3DS first his shelves. Black/White were either going to be DS games, or they would have taken an extra two years to be developed and would have likely been almost entirely different games.

It too early for another price cut. Nintendo will soon be getting the 3DS out of the red. Also, I'm in the boat that thinks there will be no dual stick revision, if any at all. It just doesn't make much sense.

Kinvara

Owch. Even if this is only going to be a limited time offer, this is going to hurt the PSV. I can feel it.

You mean the C-Gear? The Pokewalker was only for HeartGold/SoulSilver, released in 2009/2010.

I think he means that a Pokemon for the 3DS would have streetpass features similar to the functions of the pokewalker.

Also: Why are people so convinced that a redesign is coming so soon? Nintendo is currently selling the current model at a loss.

Wouldn't putting out a newer model hurt them even more?

Vita may bomb, but I'm going to buy it. I don't know why but Gravity Rush is getting me excited.

I also am waiting for a redesigned 3DS with 2 analog sticks. Until that happens, I probably won't buy one. :-(

Mondriaan

It too early for another price cut. Nintendo will soon be getting the 3DS out of the red. Also, I'm in the boat that thinks there will be no dual stick revision, if any at all. It just doesn't make much sense.
The 2nd analog peripheral didn't make much sense and it still happened.

I guess some people are speculating that Capcom was the reason that Nintendo had to release the peripheral, but if that's the case, why not speculate that Capcom will be the reason that Nintendo will have to add a 2nd stick to its revision?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Owch. This is going to hurt the PSV. I can feel it.

I think he means that a Pokemon for the 3DS would have streetpass features similar to the functions of the pokewalker.

Still makes more sense if he was talking about the C-Gear. It was basically StreetPass in a DS game.

Emitan

It's funny how HGSS supports a pedometer and BW supports a Streetpass like functionality and yet neither of them will combine them until Grey because the 3DS supports both on an OS level.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Release a 3DS with a bigger and nicer hi-res screen and Animal Crossing this summer and I won't buy a Vita, Nintendo.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Waiting for a white one even though I already have an Aqua Blue. You hear Nintendo? I want white. Now.

I have a feeling the second nub add-on had something to do with a deal with Capcom.

People kept saying at first that it was just going to be for Monster Hunter, but it already has announced support from Namco, Konami, Square Enix, Tecmo Koei, and even Nintendo themselves. That's a pretty hard push from the start, and fits with the rumor of the peripheral (and subsequent redesign) in the first place, back when everyone was calling the source crazy and imagining suction cups.

3DS redesign needs better Start and Select buttons
Fucking yes, and the Home button too. Those dimple buttons are so nasty.

On the fence? Pffff, you either have a 3DS now, or you don't and are waiting for kid Icarus, and if not that? then You probably are not getting one.

I have a 3DS and a Vita ( already ) and I have not touched it since I got my vita, dat UMVC3 and Ragnarok Odyssey Baby! Waiting for Kid Icarus....

On the fence? Pffff, you either have a 3DS now, or you don't and are waiting for kid Icarus, and if not that? then You probably are not getting one.

I have a 3DS and a Vita ( already ) and I have not touched it since I got my vita, dat UMVC3 and Ragnarok Odyssey Baby! Waiting for Kid Icarus....

So...
No more 3DS units will be sold until March?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You're really not getting Revelations?

Yoona

Banned

What? The Pokemon B/W OT and Community thread are easily two of the most active threads in the Community forum. New Dream World and Wi-Fi events are coming out every couple weeks. NeoGAF's second B/W tourney is just about to wrap up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dunno if you know this but it takes GF quite a while to code up an engine for a new platform. Black/White were primarily developed alongside HeartGold/SoulSilver, and were released over 5 months before the 3DS first his shelves. Black/White were either going to be DS games, or they would have taken an extra two years to be developed and would have likely been almost entirely different games.

Xander: The fuckin Nintendo encyclopedia

Erethian

Edit- For the record I'm 70/30 on the 3DS redesign having a second circle pad.

I agree, which is why I don't think they'd include it in a redesign of the system. It wouldn't make any sense, unless they wanted to make dual analog controls and two sets of shoulder buttons the 3DS' new default control scheme.

People kept saying at first that it was just going to be for Monster Hunter, but it already has announced support from Namco, Konami, Square Enix, Tecmo Koei, and even Nintendo themselves. That's a pretty hard push from the start, and fits with the rumor of the peripheral (and subsequent redesign) in the first place, back when everyone was calling the source crazy and imagining suction cups.

Actually, the rumour never mentioned the redesign having a second analog.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xander: The fuckin Nintendo encyclopedia

c18v9.gif

Top Bottom