• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes. This.

The people expecting third party games crack me up too. MAYBE the reason third parties arent there is that there are almost 100 million xbones and ps4 already sold. Why would a third party make games for a platform that has 1 or 2 percent of the install base and historically doesnt give 2 shits about third parties? Besides the fact that modern games cant be ported to the switch. The big announced third party game is skyrim!

Personally i find nintendo baffling. They should just make their incredible software for playstation. They are so stuck in their ways and seemingly ok with taking the money people will give them instead of trying anything new and potentially making much more.

*sniff sniff*

This smell...it reminds me of 2007.

Damn the haters really trying aren't they?
Yep, that's why I try to stay out of Switch threads. I'll say my piece then leave. Check back periodically to see how much shit has been spewed.
Yes. This.

The people expecting third party games crack me up too. MAYBE the reason third parties arent there is that there are almost 100 million xbones and ps4 already sold. Why would a third party make games for a platform that has 1 or 2 percent of the install base and historically doesnt give 2 shits about third parties? Besides the fact that modern games cant be ported to the switch. The big announced third party game is skyrim!

Personally i find nintendo baffling. They should just make their incredible software for playstation. They are so stuck in their ways and seemingly ok with taking the money people will give them instead of trying anything new and potentially making much more.
Wut!

gogogow

Rumour: Nintendo seemingly okay to take your money!

Lolololol. I swear, their are people praying day and night hoping Nintendo will go under and make games for teh playstation!

Nintendo not trying somethin new? Haven't people been complaining about Nintendo's gimmicks and begging them to just release a traditional console? Some people are living in a parallel universe.

Kicko

Yes. This.

NeoGaf really needs to bring back smileys and emoticons because there were some good ones for posts like this.

Kurt

Yes. This.

So you find it better to have 2 consoles that already do the same as pc but with lower gfx than having a unique device that is different from the rest?

NimbusD

Err Ubisoft put in the most effort in regards to the Wii U. The last thing you could say was that they screwed it over in comparison to other publishers.
I guess if you compare it to other publishers...

But let's not pretend they didn't delay a finished game that was supposed to be an early exclusive in order to bring it to other systems. Doesn't matter what you compare that to, that sucks.

DrWong

Yes. This.

Ah ah lol.

Delicious.

Basically this:
2SggXw1.gif
This is Mario Kart distilled down to it's purest form: BULLSHIT!

Anteo

Yes. This.

I really dont expect western third parties to support the switch. But even then the second part of your post lmao.

I have not seen anybody out and about with a Switch and there is never anyone looking at the small Nintendo section in my local Game store, when I go there I am the only one that looks at the Nintendo section.

I still see children out and about now and then with a 3DS and often in the local MacDonald's but no Switches.
That doesn't mean anything, there aren't enough switches in the wild yet to be seeing them regularly. The only place I've seen other switches is at a con a week after switch launch. Doesn't mean the system isn't selling, but when there are only 3 million or so out in the world right now, don't expect to see one on your trip to the grocery store

Beartruck

Yes, nintendo should completely forfeit their profitable console revenue system and be reliant on their largest competitor. That sure worked out good for Sega.

Here's an idea: If you want Nintendo software, buy a Nintendo console. I don't go around begging for Halo to be on PS4, or for Horizon: Zero dawn to be on Switch.

Oregano

If you want to see how third parties justify not supporting Nintendo then go watch Lorne Lanning on Kinda Funny Games and the mental gymnastics that can go on.

Sciz

They are so stuck in their ways and seemingly ok with taking the money people will give them instead of trying anything new and potentially making much more.

Fear not! Nintendo is exploring exciting new money-making opportunities in the mobile space as we speak.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
8 million is more than "a few million" though.

It's technically not which is why I used it. Comparitively it is I mean an 8 million more userbase isn't going to make a company or any publisher care more about the platform in this contect. In this context I consider it a few because in terms of meaningful difference it's not

Yep, that's why I try to stay out of Switch threads. I'll say my piece then leave. Check back periodically to see how much shit has been spewed.
Nah, you gotta stick around. Lurka little! Because shit like this:

Is comedy gold.

Instro

I think they're avoiding it for philosophical reasons more than anything else. Western developers simply don't "get" Nintendo.

I think this is a bit much. 3rd parties have well documented evidence that their games do not sell well on Nintendo platforms. It's not shocking that they don't jump at the chance to port things, particularly when it would require significant development to make it work. Outside of Japanese devs on handhelds, the most success 3rd parties have had with Nintendo was making casual games for the Wii which is a dead market now.

While this is definitely accurate, I think it is worth pointing out that Gamestop is not even a little bit a credible source for how the Switch is doing. Not only are they a retail store with selling the console being in their best interests, but they are also holding extra consoles as a corporation to sell them as "bundles" at a markup for people who cannot get hold of the consoles solo. They will always say the Switch is wildly successful and insist that it is hard to get your hands on until they stop selling those bundles.

That said, yes. It's nice to see the console doing so well, and I hope it is indicative of a healthy lifespan and library in stark contrast to the Wii U disaster.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If you want to see how third parties justify not supporting Nintendo then go watch Lorne Lanning on Kinda Funny Games and the mental gymnastics that can go on.

Which is even stranger considering how New 'n' Tasty was released on Wii U.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He hasn't been relevant for years though... There are plenty of other devs excited to bring their content TO Switch. What is so special about LL opinion(other than the wrong facts he brings up)?

BiggNife

I bet sales will taper by Summer.

Doesn't seem there is much to keep it afloat between now and Mario.

I mean there is probably great games on it but they will never be as robust as other games on the other consoles.

I imagine the Switch will.be exactly like the Wii... It'll start of strong then plummet by the end. Nintendo still have not shown that they can maintain a console on their own with adequate timely releases.
...okay, and then sales will probably spike back up during the holidays because of Mario (and maybe Pokemon or Smash if rumors are right). Consoles usually don't sell well between July and October anyway so I don't really understand what you're getting at here.

Zedark

He hasn't been relevant for years though... There are plenty of other devs excited to bring their content TO Switch. What is so special about LL opinion(other than the wrong facts he brings up)?
Just the fact that he chains one lie to the next makes it kinda notable. Never heard of the guy personally, doesn't seem like an omission tbh.

Kicko

I think this is a bit much. 3rd parties have well documented evidence that their games do not sell well on Nintendo platforms. It's not shocking that they don't jump at the chance to port things, particularly when it would require significant development to make it work. Outside of Japanese devs on handhelds, the most success 3rd parties have had with Nintendo was making casual games for the Wii which is a dead market now.

There's well documented evidence that their games DO sell well on their platforms. The struggle that most third party developers seem to have is the type of content to release on Nintendo platforms. From a design standpoint, Western studios approach game development differently from Nintendo, and they're aware of this. It's as if they're unsure if the games that they make will appeal to the average Nintendo consumer. It's an assumption on their part that isn't really evidenced base. The difference in philosophy has third parties puzzled and assuming the worst possible outcomes financially.

Yes. This.

I wonder if we'll see you post in here again or run as we all 😂

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nintendo's biggest prioritization in terms of pushing the system should be consolidating as much Japanese third party support as they can and aiming for ports of the largest western games. They won't most probably but if they can get a few it would be basis for future generations. The switch won't sell off of western third party support much like the 3DS didn't but theur ability to court them will determine their long term viability and the cap of the switches sales. Largest games should be the easiest to get with a reasonable sized userbase as they'll be looking for growth potential and have the money for ports.

Nintendo however has it's own main issues with that and they'll probably have to pay for some of it which Nintendo again is not traditionally keen on. We'll see.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yes. This.

What you don't know, beyond your "Nintendo is bafflling" view, is you'd probably love the Switch, even if you have a PS4.

So just to add my anecdotal evidence for the Switch stock situation (and because I want to share the story anyway):

Friday on lunch break I hit the Best Buy, WalMart, and Target in the Burbank mall. None of them had any Switch systems, and between the 3 stores I saw less than 8 Grey Joy-Con sets and maybe 4 Pro Controllers. Target told me they'd be getting more Neon Joy-Cons Sunday (today).

So I went around 2am this morning to see if there'd be a line at Target. I hadn't asked if they'd be getting more Switches in too or just the JoyCons. I saw no line, but they opened at 7am so I thought, I can either drive home and sleep for 3 hours and come back, or I can just stay here and snooze in my car to keep an eye on the situation in case people start lining up.

7am rolls around. I'm the only one there. I stroll back to the Electronics Department and the guy has a cart out filled with the day's stock. Sitting on top of everything is ONE Neon JoyCon set. I ask him if I can buy it, he scans it, it shows the ONLY set they got in but it's good for sale. I asked if they got any Switches in too by chance (my GF wants a Neon one). He said they got THREE in on Friday for Mario Kart, 2 Grey and 1 Neon. He talked with friends at WalMart and Best Buy and said they all got similar allocations, with Neon always being in the minority (which I'm pretty sure it well known by now?).

I can understand them not being able to get Switches out the door fast enough to meet demand but I'm really surprised that they can't keep controllers on the shelves, especially for the launch of fucking Mario Kart which supports up to 8 players. I wonder if it's a case of Conservative Amiibo Nintendo or if they literally can't even make the JoyCons fast enough either?

Fun ending to my story, I get home and open the Neon JoyCons to plop them on my Switch to charge as a nice little surprise to be waiting for my girlfriend when she wakes up. Open the box and pull out... two Grey JoyCons. Drove back and returned them immediately. What a rollercoaster of emotions that was.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Yes. This.

I really hate this kind of shitposting.

Oregano

It's just an example of the BS reasons that come up. Besides the number of devs that support Nintendo are vastly outnumbered by those that don't(even just talking console devs) and LL is even an exception there because he did publish a Wii U game.

Brhoom

Banned
Yes. This.

JjgabPX.gif

Yes. This.

your-tears-are-delicious-360x500_1_.jpg

slit

let me spoil this for you ;)

best selling console: Nintendo Switch
best selling game: Mario Kart Deluxe

You can't spoil it for anyone because it's not the results, it's the reaction to them that will be the show.

Yes. This.

You find it baffling that the the Switch is selling out all over and don't understand why they don't make games for Playstation? They won't make more than on their own platform. There are going to be a lot of cranky people like this. After WiiU they expected Nintendo to finally give in and make games for their system of choice. That dream is now pretty much dead. LMAO.

So just for understanding, is this a case of bad product manufacturing by Nintendo? Or is the demand that insane?

How was the situation compared to other devices? Such as iPhones, iPad, Ps 3/4, Wii (u), Xbox?

So just for understanding, is this a case of bad product manufacturing by Nintendo? Or is the demand that insane?

How was the situation compared to other devices? Such as iPhones, iPad, Ps 3/4, Wii (u), Xbox?

The former not the latter. Can't tell how much of a success it is until end of month comes in and supply strain is gone.

PS4 is the target to beat and that thing was pretty much on shelves all the time.

Yes. This.

Yes

I think it's honestly both. Nintendo can only make so many systems a day, and it takes time and a lot of money to increase that number. Coming off the Wii U, they were optimistic about Switch for sure but at the same time they probably wanted to be conservative in the event Switch didn't light a fire for people.

Compared to other devices, it's the exact same thing, Nintendo just gets needlessly shit on about it for reasons. When Apple brings out a new iPhone, it's sold out for weeks, if not months. Within hours of them going on sale the delivery dates will slip further and further away from the release dates. Same with the iPad, same with even the Apple Watch. I preordered my Apple Watch within like 15 minutes of them going on sale and it took almost 3 months for them to get it to me. And that's APPLE, of all companies, who has complete control of every single step of the manufacturing process of their products from designing them to putting them in their own stores.

PS4, likewise, was sold out for quite a long time when it launched. I only just saw my first PSVR in the wild like a week ago. Not sure about Xbox but I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear there were shortages there too. It's actually really normal.

The former not the latter. Can't tell how much of a success it is until end of month comes in and supply strain is gone.

PS4 is the target to beat and that thing was pretty much on shelves all the time.

No it wasn't. What's with certain Gaffers and the revisionist PS4 history? There were shortages out the yang. Even their barely supported expensive VR headset hasn't been able to stay on shelves since release until very recently. Simply typing in "Playstation 4 shortages" into google, the first three results are about how shitty the supply for the Pro and PSVR is, and then right under that is an article from 2014 where Sony themselves admit that they can't keep up with demand and potentially were losing sales because of it. And that was just for Europe.

Drek

This shouldn't surprise anyone, they broke 1:1 tie ratio with BotW, so there was quantifiable immediate demand for more Switch systems even before MK8D, which is a good port of the best MK ever made, with MK as a far more proven system seller than Zelda in most console cycles.

Beyond that, the Switch is Nintendo's best hardware product since the DS Lite. The Wii U is basically a real life demonstration of how hardware design and marketing can tank a system. The 3DS has many great games but 3D was a waste, battery life is horrible, it's pathetically weak hardware for the time it was released, and it even has crap ergonomics with all the little buttons jammed on it to vaguely meet an acceptable input threshold. The Wii was grossly underpowered, beyond that had horrible video and sound output hardware making things look even worse, and the controls, while interesting, were clearly not ready for prime time which is why motion+ was a thing and why Nintendo moved on immediately after.

The Switch meanwhile is maybe a little weak and maybe a little overpriced at launch, but you could make the same claim towards the XB1 at launch for sure and debatably the PS4. The Switch is what happens when Nintendo doesn't try to validate new hardware with a gimmick and instead focuses on their real core: excellent game design works, is appreciated, and sells regardless of form factor, ergo a hybrid validates itself as long as it has good games to play on it.

It will be interesting to see their 2018 lineup and how it sells then. I think 2017 is going to be supply constrained enough to where BotW and Odyssey ensure selling out relatively easily this year. The first ~15-20M units will come pretty easily. How quickly does it make it past the 30, 40, and 50 million units mark is when we will see the real success curve of the platform. I'm not willing to bet on a Wii or DS level success but I think meeting and exceeding the 3DS is very attainable.

By proxy that should ensure very good support from Japanese 3rd parties and the self published community. Western 3rd parties will likely give it a cold shoulder like most Nintendo systems, but the previous two coupled with Nintendo's first party support will be all the device really wants and needs. Call of Duty won't sell many Switches, Dragon Quest and Stardew Valley can.

But the numbers out there aren't that insane in terms of previous products? How much ps4's where sold in the first few months? Or DS's for comparison. Or even the ipad?

The product is obviously a massive hit, but producing 5 million units shouldn't be an impossible task? Or is it?

Top Bottom