• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens new "Retro Classics" gaming section (PS1/N64/DC/NES/SNES/Genesis)

Sojiro

Yeah...I am going to have to pass, I specifically shop for CIB games for my PS1 collection and the gamble of possibly not having either a manual or case original to the game turns me away from this.

Erekiddo

Everyone complaining about prices has to realize Gamestop had amazing prices for the older games up until they stopped carrying them in 2005. Most my SNES and N64 games are from there.

I remember being up in the wee hours every morning on EBGames.com when they'd update their stock. Sometimes you'd find really rare games for cheap.

I bought Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding (probably just to use the cart for Pokémon Stadium which was $8 at Momocon), and Tetris Attack.
It is suppose to come Saturday, so I will update with the condition.

Fox Mulder

There are a lot of retro gaming stores in my area, and they all seem to do absolutely zero business. I think GameStop entering this sphere will effectively kill them off.

My main question toward this is, where is GameStop getting their stock of these systems and games? They aren't actually being manufactured anymore and 'refurbishing' only gets you so far, and I can't imagine it's the cheapest thing in the world to be refreshing old tech.

I have a store near me too, but they seem to do alright at high end eBay prices near a college. I might as well just pick from eBay at those rates though.

digital sale clearly taking a huge dent in their revenue.
Yeah they're taking on new revenue streams. They recently acquired Think Geek as well.

Anyone remember about a decade ago when they stocked clone NES hardware as well? The NEX Messiah system IIRC with those weird wireless pads.

This seems like a logical move in order to combat the advent of digital game purchases.

Also, regarding condition, don't expect anything cartridge-based (With the exception of maybe genesis?) to come with a box or manual, guys. By all means expect it for disc-based stuff like PS1 though, in fact it's encouraged.

I can already say that $50 for a SMRPG cart is pretty fair considering that's less than its original MSRP and it's roughly the same as the usual price online.

Online only.

Yeah, this would actually be great if it were in-store. Or if the prices were actually low. But as it's online only and the prices aren't any better than other means, I might as well continue buying from private collectors or through eBay.

Oh.. well what's the bloody point then.

Hopefully they price competitively to drive down higher prices, but since Gamestop is only doing this to get in on the money, I doubt they will.

edit: Okay just took a look.. The prices are too damn high!

It’s been interesting to see some of the reactions in this thread. I can only assume the people who are shocked by these prices are either not into old games at all or haven’t been buying retro games for at least a couple of years. As posters like fantastic_planet and others have pointed out, the market has gone up. A lot. The GS prices are more or less in line with the market, with a few exceptions here and there. There are always deals to be had, but if you’re dismissing the prices because you got X game a just a couple of years ago for less, then look again.

As fantastic_planet said, PriceCharting isn’t a great resource for nailing down exact prices, but it is a good starting point. And it’s at least worth a look when gauging the whole market because it tracks EVERYTHING at once (and even kicks out truly rare, non-retail games in its dragnet).

Just for kicks, I took a look and came up with these numbers.

SNES prices as on average have gone from $7.51 to $18.39 since mid 2010. That is a 145% increase in five years. And just in the last two years alone the overall prices have increased nearly 40%. Taking a look at the most popular games, there are a whopping 73 games that were available at retail (so not including truly rare stuff like Donkey Kong Country or Starfox competition carts) going for $40 or more.

NES prices as a whole have gone from $7.68 to $21.18 in five years - a 176% increase. There’s been a 34% increase in last two years alone. There are more than 90 North American retail games (not including repros or X-in-1 pirates) going for $40 or more. That's more than 10% of the entire system library! And remember, these prices are for loose carts.

Genesis games aren’t as bad but have gone up. They’ve gone from $5.26 to $10.39 since mid 2010, a 98% increase in five years. In other words, they’ve generally doubled in price since then. There’s been a 44% increase in the last two years alone. I count 41 retail games at $30 or above.

So if you haven’t checked out prices in the last two years, you’re in for a shock. If you haven’t been to a retro store for a while (if you can even find one anymore) go inside and take a look at their stock. It’s total shit now. It’s all moved online and it’s not just rare stuff going for high prices. GS is getting into this game because there’s a market for it. If you don't think it's worth it, that's fine. But there are more than a dozen retro threads on GAF alone filled with people who do. And that's to say nothing of the money spent on RGB cables, old CRTs, $300 Framemeisters and on and on.

Top Bottom