• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Age is a joke - Thief DS gets an A while Ninja Gaiden gets a C- ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Oh nos...not this again!

This argument should have stopped once the March NPD data came out. 362K sold. Number one title for the month of March. Obviously the GA review didn't sway too many people. Lets move on, folks!

IJoel

Better yet, why doesn't GA come clean and reveals who wrote that review? I frankly don't see the point of an anonymous reviewer.

AniHawk

IJoel said:
Better yet, why doesn't GA come clean and reveals who wrote that review? I frankly don't see the point of an anonymous reviewer.

Because I don't want people to know I'm Paul Bryant.

EmSeta

I actually agree with these scores.. NG was a complete disappointment for me, but I loved Thief on the Xbox..

worldrunover said:
It's a good thing we LIVE IN AMERICA AND HAVE A RIGHT TO OPINOINS.

YAY FREEDOMS!1!!
When you're getting paid (and someone else is paying) for your opinion, objectivity should be considered to be fair.

Semjaza Azazel said:
That's why reviews are written. You're supposed to read them and pick out parts you do and don't agree with to inform your purchasing decision. The ending score can be twisted in a million ways if you ignore all of the context.
It's kind of hard to "pick out parts" of something you really don't have much information on or just simply don't know much about. People who trust reviewers will automatically believe in their dissection of whatever game being reviewed.
sp0rsk said:
its funny how you cite GA as the reviewer.

we do have more than one person doing reviews you know.
The reviewer is a representative of your site and should be treated as such. If GA's overall opinion was way different than that of the reviewer in question, then you owe to GA, its readers, and even the game to not post that view and seek out the opinion that bests "represents" that of consensus of GA.

Mrbob

IJoel said:

IAWTP.

The reviewer is a representative of your site and should be treated as such. If GA's overall opinion was way different than that of the reviewer in question, then you owe to GA, its readers, and even the game to not post that view and seek out the opinion that bests "represents" that of consensus of GA.

Ninja Gaiden review doesn't represent all of GA, because in the massive Ninja Gaiden thread (pre neo GAF) some of the GA reviewers chimed in and said it roxed.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
IJoel said:
I thought it was there so that people working at gaming mags could write reviews without breaking contract.

stonedwal

This thread = C-

The fact that you're bitching about a score on a site at all, let alone one that was handed down nearly 5 months ago shows that you have a distinct lack of priorities in this hobby. What's the point about arguing over review scores - surely the fact that you like the game matters the most?

SantaC

This is almost as bad as when people from teamxbox sent hate and threat mail to the reviewer at Gamespot when Splinter Cell "only" got a 8.6 or something. "WTF Metroid Prime got 9.7 how could SC get 8.6?!!"

Or something like that.

Azih

Plus why the hell does anybody want to know the real name of the person who wrote the review anyway? To organise a public lynching?

Mrbob said:
Ninja Gaiden review doesn't represent all of GA, because in the massive Ninja Gaiden thread (pre neo GAF) some of the GA reviewers chimed in and said it roxed.
Then one of them should've been assigned to review the game ;)
stonedwal said:
This thread = C-

The fact that you're bitching about a score on a site at all, let alone one that was handed down nearly 5 months ago shows that you have a distinct lack of priorities in this hobby. What's the point about arguing over review scores - surely the fact that you like the game matters the most?
This post = F-

Certain consumers/gamers gauge their buying decisions off of reviews. I can understand if someone gets upset about a game they really enjoyed and wants to do well reads a review that isn't fair or is off-the-mark that may affect sales numbers. I'm a huge shmup fan and god knows I'm fucking sick of reading reviews of games of this type from people that don't really like (and some that just flat out hate) the genre.

That is ridiculous. Although threads like this serve the folks who wanted "Paul" to draw some attention for that review. The more you talk about it the more they laugh at you over their instant messenger ;). Just laugh at them and enjoy it when Itagaki bitch slaps them. Fun stuff.

BuddyC

I don't get it. No one noticed that this "Chris Faylor" hack gave Tenchu a B over a month ago, but Thief: Deadly Shadows, a game completely unrelated to Ninja Gaiden, ignites the controversy once more?

stonedwal

This post = F-

Certain consumers/gamers gauge their buying decisions off of reviews. I can understand if someone gets upset about a game they really enjoyed and wants to do well reads a review that isn't fair or is off-the-mark that may affect sales numbers. I'm a huge shmup fan and god knows I'm fucking sick of reading reviews of games of this type from people that don't really like (and some that just flat out hate) the genre.

Of course certain consumers and gamers are going to base their decisions off reviews. Usually more than one, if that consumer has an ounce of common sense.

The fact of the matter is that a fucking puny percentage of the market actually reads reviews, so it's unlikely that sales will be affected by one poor review when the rest of them are outstanding. If a larger percentage of the market actually read more reviews, you wouldn't see Driv3r at the top of the charts.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dear Lukas:

hbk1.gif

Sincerely,

The GA Staff :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yay for Theif! I wouldn't know about the Xbox port, but the PC port definitely deserves an A or a B (depending on how you view it).

xsarien

daedsiluap
And the number one sign you're taking video games too seriously and, perhaps, need to investigate that magical realm called "outside..."

"You're still bitter over the GAF Ninja Gaiden review."

miyuru

IMO, reviews on a single site should be consistent within that site. When you have different people reviewing, their reviews should at least be consistent between what they each write themselves.

So, as long as it's consistent, I couldn't care less. And even then, some people just don't click with certain games. And...I couldn't care less. And c'mon, it's refreshing to read a review that isn't like all the others. When a game is that good, all a review can be is positive :p

I give this thread an A++. To compare Ninja Gaiden to the Bouncer is to not be taken seriously by myself. It's ok to not like NG but at least save such a rediculous comparison.
I'd go one step further and urge people to compare NG with games ranging from Shinobi to Devil May cry to Metroid Prime. I certainly have made such comparisons and I came away thinking Ninja Gaiden was a solid A. With the new downloadable content I'll give it A++.
It's one thing to have an opinion. It's altogether another to willfully misrepresent the game, facts surrounding it, making erroneous comparisons, and ultimately purposely misleading reders in order to satiate ones ego or some ill fated sense of humor.
I certainly hope that review was just a publicity stunt, because otherwise it has pretty much shot GA's review crews credibility down to FRIGGING ZERO for myself.
The forums are O.K around here still, though.

I think the original post poses a perfectly legitimate question. Why are people accusing this person of bemoaning the old Ninja Gaiden review when it's clear he's having a whinge about the Thief review? Once upon a time, GA was a respected games review site, so much so that many of its former staffers have moved on to more prestigious roles in the industry. The Ninja Gaiden review isn't the first time GA essentially got it wrong. I can appreciate taking a stand on certain games - it's been done before countless times with Mario Kart DD, MGS 2, Deathrow and so on - and I can certainly see how one can dislike Ninja Gaiden. But giving it a C- is a rather extreme measure to take, not to mention way off the mark even for someone who doesn't particularly like the game. Either way, things like this really affect the site's credibility in a negative way. Besides which, like most people I haven't read a GA review in a couple of years. That's quite telling, if you ask me.

So when does Ninja Gaiden start getting good? I'm still at the part in the city right after you get the nunchucks.

So far I think it's about a B game. It seems about on par with Onimusha 1.

BuddyC

ScientificNinja said:
I think the original post poses a perfectly legitimate question. Why are people accusing this person of bemoaning the old Ninja Gaiden review when it's clear he's having a whinge about the Thief review? Once upon a time, GA was a respected games review site, so much so that many of its former staffers have moved on to more prestigious roles in the industry. The Ninja Gaiden review isn't the first time GA essentially got it wrong. I can appreciate taking a stand on certain games - it's been done before countless times with Mario Kart DD, MGS 2, Deathrow and so on - and I can certainly see how one can dislike Ninja Gaiden. But giving it a C- is a rather extreme measure to take, not to mention way off the mark even for someone who doesn't particularly like the game. Either way, things like this really affect the site's credibility in a negative way. Besides which, like most people I haven't read a GA review in a couple of years. That's quite telling, if you ask me.

What exactly is he whining about with the Thief: Deadly Shadows review?

That it's overrated? Underrated? Poorly written? The score isn't explained well enough? The text doesn't fit the overall grade? I don't get it.

P90

stonedwal said:
This thread = C-

IAWTP for the most part. It is slow for new releases until ToS comes out next week. So I guess griping about a poor score for a mediocre game is the thing to do.

Alucard

Banned
We're still talking about this? Bah...

*goes to play Ready 2 Rumble Boxing*

Seriously though, just let it go. You like the game? That's fantastic. It doesn't mean that everyone else on the planet has to.

BuddyChrist83 said:
What exactly is he whining about with the Thief: Deadly Shadows review? .

The fact that its score is totally inconsistent with the rating given to Ninja Gaiden. Let's say, for instance, a person bought Ninja Gaiden and thought "Wow, if this is a C-rated game, then I can't wait to see what an A-rated game is like". The two games are totally different, granted, but you can't tell me that the A-rated Thief is (as the scores suggest to me) light-years ahead of the C-rated Ninja Gaiden.

P90

CrimsonSkies said:
"a poor score for a mediocre game"

And yet you seem hyped for ToS. Interesting.

I haven't played ToS yet. Have you? I'll review it for you after I have played it, if you would like.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom