• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Why Starfield Will MAKE OR BREAK Xbox

Duchess

While I definitely think it's very important to MS, "make or break" is an exaggeration here. They would need CDPR level of screw up to leave a bad taste in gamers' mouths, but even then I don't think you'd see people parting with this black and white boxes, in favour of Sony's ... um ... black AND white box :)

Thoughts?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
it is a very important game for xbox and also for todd howard

todd-howard-starfield.jpg

Last edited:

NahaNago

It won't break xbox even if it is cdpr levels of screw up. Gamepass is like half of xbox these days and this is just another game that will go in that library. So even if the game is terrible they can just put a couple of great games in gamepass a month later to get the game off of folks minds.

Helghan

I don’t think this game is make or break but 2023 and 2024 are. They need to give a sign that they are able to deliver something similar to Sony’s gaming output while having it GP day 1. Because their output for 2022 was dire. Starfield will be a great first step if it’s at the level of TES.

Gobjuduck

Banned
it wont make or break xbox. Starfield could be awful, and xbox would shake it off by moving onto elder scrolls.

the next 3 years will make or break though. If xbox has few impressive exclusives by 2026, the brand would need some rethinking. Doubt that will be the reality, things are looking bright for xbox on the first party software side. I think xbox will have a strong mid to end gen, like the ps4 had.

unlurkified

Idk, if it’s not the commercial success that MS is probably expecting (sales and new GP subs) and helps a lot in softening the blow of the $7bn acquisition cost, it could contribute to non-gaming MS execs not wanting to be as all-in on game as they’re allowing Phil to be now.

k_trout

well we all know Sonys betamax failed because "battle beyond the stars" wasn't very good lol

Last edited:

Rykan

It won't break xbox even if it is cdpr levels of screw up. Gamepass is like half of xbox these days and this is just another game that will go in that library. So even if the game is terrible they can just put a couple of great games in gamepass a month later to get the game off of folks minds.
Game pass is not half of Xbox. Not even close. You can't just pull a couple of "great games" out of nowhere to compensate.

Starfield is by far Xbox's most important game in decades. Having this game fail will damage the brand substantially.

Robb

Gold Member
Considering it’s not an established franchise I very much doubt it. I feel TES or Fallout would be a bigger deal.

If Halo, which is pretty much the face of Xbox, didn’t break Xbox this won’t either.

Last edited:

kyussman

How will we even know how well it's done?Sales numbers aren't the useful information they used to be with GamePass and it's not even on PlayStation.....do we just wait six months for them to announce 100,000,000,000 hours played or 500,000,000,000,000 tonnes of ore mined,lol.

Robb

Gold Member
How will we even know how well it's done?
For Xbox specifically I think the most important metric will be growth in GamePass subscribers. That seems to be what they value the most these days.

But who knows if they’ll disclose any hard numbers..

FingerBang

While I definitely think it's very important to MS, "make or break" is an exaggeration here. They would need CDPR level of screw up to leave a bad taste in gamers' mouths, but even then I don't think you'd see people parting with this black and white boxes, in favour of Sony's ... um ... black AND white box :)

Thoughts?
Don't challenge them

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is ridiculous. This isn’t Howard’s team first rodeo + Less consoles this time around so more optimization. Is it going to be a bug fest at launch? Yes. Is it going to sell gangbusters REGARDLESS of reviews? Yes. Is it going to be a critical success? Most likely. Is it going to be one of the highest rated games of the year? That’s a wait and see.

yazenov

With or without Starfield, Xbox will not change its fortunes or position in the market.

The generation has already been decided and momentum is critical. PS5 will continue to dominate, similar to the PS4 as the market has already chosen the PS5 as the console to get this generation.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeah no one game will break Xbox.

Price raises on Game pass however, that will be the true test of the Xbox faithful.
Not really, you can still buy games on Xbox. Don't want Gamepass? Don't have it. If people think it's not good value they'll drop it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This website loves exaggerated articles. First was PSV2 buffling decisions and now Xbox break point. Do they have more click bait articles that are betting on consoles wars or they just found this genre?

What's crazy is that I assume nobody likes these articles* yet giving them attention practically guarantees more of them.

*Edit: videos, headlines, articles, social media posts

Last edited:

Sweden85

Im happy I wont have to buy it. Gamepass for cheap is good for these games.

If it would have released on PS5, I would have bought it :)

Freeza93

Banned
Why is there so much hype for a game headed by a dude who has always released buggy games in the past. People forgot about 76?

Fucking loony tunes! Kinda mad that MS actually funding these guys to begin with given the history.
Because this guy still was responsible for the elder scrolls and fallout games. If you don’t realize how beloved ips these are then i dont know what to tell you.

oh no an open world game is buggy? with thousands of objects you can interact with. its normal.

It won't break Xbox but if Starfield isn't good or is a broken mess at launch, I can imagine there will be some big meltdowns online.

Last edited:
I appreciate this is the videos title but can we not have it as the thread title? It's just stupid and annoying to read hyperbolic nonsense like this.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Too much of a clickbait

Bethesda games are always buggy, so it's kinda of a rocky launch. Could achieve greatness in sales, and could very much achieve greatness in gameplay. History makes this Still, chances are that couldn't

But guess what? EVERY FUCKING GAME HAVE THIS QUESTION, so don't bitch up and wait for the godamn game

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Not really. Starfiels couls end up being the worst game ever and people wouls still loose it when TES 6 is released.
when is the ES6 coming out btw? and the expectations from starfield are high
i am confident that it will be a 9/10 game

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's a Todd game, so my bet is: it'll be simple for what's supposed to be an RPG and kinda shallow with average writting at best. It'll also be very fun to get lost in and I'll probably sink +100 hours in a first playthough in which I'll achieve absolutely nothing. 10/10.

Cyborg

Will it?
But my honest question is why on earth you would play this on your Xbox if you have a decent PC. It will run and look better

Top Bottom