• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming has NOT evolved since 2007 (Diminishing Returns)

Sophist

I still believe that Crysis would pass as todays gen title with minor improvements (like some fancy post processing shit) and ray tracying (remake has it already). And this game is 15 yeard old.... 15 years from 2007 back is 1992 btw. If thats not the proof of dimishing returns, i dont know what is. I mean, does it really look much worse thant lets say far cry 6?
MV5BYzc5NmQ0MDMtNTZlOS00NDQ4LTgyYmMtM2FkZGUxY2Y1NTg3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5NDYwOTg@._V1_.jpg

No. Graphics, lightning, and animations are not even close to today standards.

Last edited:

TheMan

Maybe AI will someday take some of immense work off developers so they dont' need to spend weeks perfecting HD grass textures and focus on implementing stuff like destructible environments, which could also perhaps be aided by AI.

Maybe AI will someday take some of immense work off developers so they dont' need to spend weeks perfecting HD grass textures and focus on implementing stuff like destructible environments, which could also perhaps be aided by AI.

A lot of people have the wrong idea of where AI really is, at this point in time.

It's honestly still in it's infancy, has a long ways to go before it becomes an actual benefit to aiding in game development.

It has still evolved but at a very slow rate compared to 2007 and before. I can't see something like Horizon Zero Dawn or Control ever running on 7th gen hardware.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did OP seriously compare games that were pretty much a benchmark of video game graphics for their time and even their developers admitted that contemporary machines were not powerful enough to run those games at max detail, with one of the shittiest games of 2022 that is widely known for having severely outdated visuals?

Lol, what a goober.

Last edited:
That what happens when an industry turns from "games made by gamers for gamers" to "games made by businessman for the masses". Stagnation with minimal improvement.

This is whats happening. OP is right. And anyone that is combating the obvious drop, or changed priorities, is bad for gaming also.

If a time traveler from 2022 visited 14 year old me in 2004 after I got done with Half Life 2, and showed me that ELDEN RING was the top tier ps5 game of that year. I'd go into a deep depression.

If Elden ring released in 2007. It'd be a cool little side game to play.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is whats happening. OP is right. And anyone that is combating the obvious drop, or changed priorities, is bad for gaming also.

If a time traveler from 2022 visited 14 year old me in 2004 after I got done with Half Life 2, and showed me that ELDEN RING was the top tier ps5 game of that year. I'd go into a deep depression.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

charles8771

Half Life 2 was developed for PC in mind, i didn't have to deal with hardware limitations of PS2.
The best looking game of 2004 on PS2 were Metal Gear Solid 3, Gran Turismo 4.
Just look out how Half Life 2 runs on OG Xbox, let alone trying to run in on PS2

Half Life 2 was developed for PC in mind, i didn't have to deal with hardware limitations of PS2.
Just look out how Half Life 2 runs on OG Xbox, let alone trying to run in on PS2

Its been 20 years...a screenshot of Elden ring and a screenshot of uncharted 2 look like they are in the same gen. I dont care if one is open world or not. That shouldnt happen lol

KXVXII9X

You don't get a jump simply because these console are underpowered as shit and just native 4k and some rtx reflections eat a lot of resources.

If you had developers working on a 3090 and a major 500 dollars cpu you could see much better stuff.

About destructible things, the more visual fidelity you have, the more physics become heavy, you can't have photorealistic trees that break in 3 equal parts like in botw, you need realistic destruction, and realistic destruction is the heaviest shit ever.

Good luck implementing this stuff on a cheap 500 dollars box

That bread demo was used in Yakuza Like a Dragon on PS4/Xbox One but only for one quick scene though.

Wildebeest

Did you know that PC actually existed in 2004, and it actually counts when you use Half Life 2 as an example of what real games looked like in 2004?

charles8771

Did you know that PC actually existed in 2004, and it actually counts when you use Half Life 2 as an example of what real games looked like in 2004?
Like using Crysis as a example how games looked in 2007, when it came out at the same year as Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted 1

If Crysis was a low budget game, it would had the same graphics/complexity as Call of Duty 4

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
The law of diminishing returns also applies in some ways to development as larger/more big companies got involved.

Gone are the days when a middling game would take some risks and woukd become a sleepy hit or failure. Those failures could shut down studios. In turn, to protect their future and finances they scan the market and see what's working/$$$. Now we get low-risk copy cats, sequel after sequel and remakes. Any new IP is a cold and calculated risk that won't stray far from any current offerings.

Sales/$ now drives development more than creativity and ingenuity.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
man, some people must be miserable having gaming as a hobby with this kind of mentality
If NeoGAF's userbase comprised entirely of people who actually loved video games, there'd only be 500 people on the forum. We need the negative nancys to survive, you see...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Fashion, music, movies, TV, technology, you name it, everything seems like it started to slow way down post 2007.

In 2000 most people still watched movies on VHS on bubble screen CRTs and owning a cell phone or computer was still somewhat rare, by 2010 everyone had an HDTV, everyone had a cell phone and everyone had high speed internet access.

Now it's 2022, your smart phone is still just a smart phone, your HDTV is still just an HDTV, there's improvements of course but it's not a quantum leap like before.

I remember 2007 very well, we've slowed way down culturally, the biggest changes have simply been the insane political attitudes and other mass hysterias that have gripped people, all that shit is new, but there's been a lot of stagnation.
This is an interesting thing to think about, i'd wager a lot of it has to do with the economic crash in 2008.

Since then money has become a lot less valuable even today and thanks to other stuff like inflation and the increasing corportization of the world, stagnation is a lot more prevalent. Like dont you think its a bit telling that the cutoff point of all years was in 2007, a year before the economy basically shat itself?

K2D

Banned
Diminishing returns are not the crux of the issue here.

The rising cost of games that push the fronteer is.

Animation, writing, Npc' AI are still largely unexplored, but it cost too much..!

Last edited:
There is a reason why it wasn't a big deal that the PS4 and Xbox One are 3 years behind high-ish end PCs.

In 1990s. PCs double/triple in power every year. That's more than CPUs have evolved in the whole 2010s decade.

The Switch using Tegra X1 from 2015 is fine, because hardware evolved so little over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom